Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-15-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default Faderport 16 - experiences, opinions, etc. (& the other motorized fader alternatives)

Hi all! Was looking at the Faderport 16 in the future. Anyone have any positive experience with it?

Does it have general MIDI / user modes, where you can do your own custom mappings for the buttons?

How does it compare to the Behringer X-Touch, Icon Qcon Pro G2?

Immediate thoughts about the Icon-- the "squishy" buttons for transport... I don't know. I think I would grow to quickly despise them.

Was thinking of simply getting a Behringer X-Touch One, instead of an 8 or 16-fader thing... but I don't know.

Honestly wish there was a simple "motorized faders, screens, and NOTHING ELSE but bank left/right" controller. The jogwheels are always meh, and how can they mess up something so essential as transport buttons?

Thanks for any tips/help/replies!
Old 07-15-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Hi all! Was looking at the Faderport 16 in the future. Anyone have any positive experience with it?

Does it have general MIDI / user modes, where you can do your own custom mappings for the buttons?

How does it compare to the Behringer X-Touch, Icon Qcon Pro G2?

Immediate thoughts about the Icon-- the "squishy" buttons for transport... I don't know. I think I would grow to quickly despise them.

Was thinking of simply getting a Behringer X-Touch One, instead of an 8 or 16-fader thing... but I don't know.

Honestly wish there was a simple "motorized faders, screens, and NOTHING ELSE but bank left/right" controller. The jogwheels are always meh, and how can they mess up something so essential as transport buttons?

Thanks for any tips/help/replies!
The Faderport units look great, until you realize there is only one Rotary

I use an X Touch universal, and am quite happy with it.

The faders can be a bit noisy, but overall, I'd say it's the best out there right now.

I've previously owned an MCU with extenders and a C4, old single fader Faderport, and numerous Avid Artist series units.

The CSI software project that I work on allows for extreme customization of just about everything.

Check out the red link below.

It may be a bit overwhelming at first glance, but the project has been on the go for almost seven years with tremendous help from the community, and there are a lot of "ready to go" configurations to get you up and running in no time.

There is also a very active thread dedicated to setup/configuration -- https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....278718&page=20

The folks are very helpful.

Whichever device you decide to go with, I'd urge you to give CSI a try, c'mon in, the water's fine
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 01:13 AM   #3
themixtape

Thanks, Geoff! Really good insight.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:49 PM   #4
MarkFromHawaii

I just received a Faderport 16. Sorry, I just want to get up and running the right way from the get go. So I should download and install CSI first? Thank you in advance.
MarkFromHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:40 PM   #5
themixtape

I know absolutely nothing about CSI / setting up... but, it seems to be really powerful and works well with everything.

I am going to set up some Artist Mixes with it (if possible-- maybe Geoff can chime in), X-Touch, and X-Touch One.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:48 PM   #6
MarkFromHawaii

Default Faderport 16 in Reaper (W10)

After a bit of googling, YouTubing and finding some great information here, I've got Faderport 16 working in Reaper. A few of my system particulars:

OS Windows 10 Build 19045.3208
Reaper Ver. 6.81 Win64

Step by step:
For a new Faderport, register your product at my.presonus.com and enter the serial number.
Download Universal Control and install
Connect your FP 16 to your computer with the included USB cable.
Hold down the two leftmost Select soft keys above the faders and power on.
Select the MCU softkey. You should see Logic show up in the first scribble strip.
Select the Exit soft key and the unit should boot.

Open Reaper.
Under Options->Preferences->Control/OSC/web Add a new device: Mackie Control
Set both Midi Input and Midi Output to PreSonus FP 16
Leave other settings as is
Click OK - you should see channel faders follow for tracks 1-8 as you move the faders on the FP 16 or in Reaper.
Under Options->Preferences->Control/OSC/web Add a new device: Mackie Control Extended
Set Midi Input to MIDIIN2 (PreSonus FP 16)
Set Midi Output to MIDIOUT2 (PreSonus FP 16)
Set surface offset (tracks) to 8
Leave other settings as is
Click OK - you should see channel faders follow for tracks 9-16 as you move the faders on the FP 16 or in Reaper.

This is day 1 for me so I'm happy I got this far. I don't know how much of all the advance features will work without additional tweaks or software and scripts, etc.
Good luck!
Old 07-31-2023, 01:32 AM   #7
richbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
The Faderport units look great, until you realize there is only one Rotary

I use an X Touch universal, and am quite happy with it.

The faders can be a bit noisy, but overall, I'd say it's the best out there right now.

I've previously owned an MCU with extenders and a C4, old single fader Faderport, and numerous Avid Artist series units.

The CSI software project that I work on allows for extreme customization of just about everything.

Check out the red link below.

It may be a bit overwhelming at first glance, but the project has been on the go for almost seven years with tremendous help from the community, and there are a lot of "ready to go" configurations to get you up and running in no time.

There is also a very active thread dedicated to setup/configuration -- https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....278718&page=20

The folks are very helpful.

Whichever device you decide to go with, I'd urge you to give CSI a try, c'mon in, the water's fine
Hi Geoff
Just out of interest why did you ditch the MCU for the xtouch?
I have an old MCU+extender and despite being the basis for a lot of hardware I'm struggling to find a definitive driver for it.
Klinke is closest (for me) but doesn't support extenders and he's effectively stopped development.
So what's best for good old vanilla mcu ?
Cheers rich
richbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:18 AM   #8
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbike View Post
Hi Geoff
Just out of interest why did you ditch the MCU for the xtouch?
I have an old MCU+extender and despite being the basis for a lot of hardware I'm struggling to find a definitive driver for it.
Klinke is closest (for me) but doesn't support extenders and he's effectively stopped development.
So what's best for good old vanilla mcu ?
Cheers rich
My MCU's suffered from the failing LCD backlight issue, and at the time, there were no viable replacement options, there are now, to my understanding.

CSI has full support for the MCU/Extender/C4 family, lots of folks use CSI for those units.

We're just about to add FX auto map and learn, so it's a very good time to consider CSI.

There are a solid set of stock files for the MCU family, so you should be good to go immediately, and you can customize from there.

See the Wiki link below in red for more in depth info.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:21 PM   #9
richbike

Nice one Geoff
I tried CSI some time ago but was then using a bcf2000 and got caught between v1 being retired and v2 comming out.
I'll install the latest and greatest and see if I can customise some of klinkes ideas.
Cheers
Rich
richbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #10
MarkFromHawaii

Anyone experience the motorized fader stuttering issue? This seems to be a known issue with Faderport 16 and maybe 8. Yesterday (Day 2 playing around with the Faderport 16) I started selecting tracks and in latch mode I started moving them around. On playback the faders would stutter and the sound also stuttered. I undid everything and tried track by track. Seems like there's a limit as to how many faders you can automate while mixing - maybe 3 or 4. I also updated to the latest firmware.

Something I also noticed: For some reason the Faderport will re-configure envelopes to select pan. More of a nuisance than anything else. I guess I have to dig deeper in how to get things configured for Reaper for Faderport.

Cheers.