Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone got Drumgizmo working?

I have the vst installed on both my laptop & main PC & I can get it running but it's impossible to play anything the samples just spit & stutter as if they're trying to load but cant & that's even with the lighter versions of the drumkit.

There really aren't many decent drum vst instruments for linux & I was hoping I could get drumgizmo running. I'd like to use as many native plugins as I can without bridging windows plugins if possible but for my workflow & needs this just isn't possible yet. I know about Hydrogen but I really want stick to dedicated DAW plugin instruments.

I've also got AVL drums running via lv2vst & it's pretty decent for a light weight drum plugin but it's a little too light weight & hard to get away from the machine gun sound because of the lack of round robin sampling.
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
I have the vst installed on both my laptop & main PC & I can get it running but it's impossible to play anything the samples just spit & stutter as if they're trying to load but cant & that's even with the lighter versions of the drumkit.

There really aren't many decent drum vst instruments for linux & I was hoping I could get drumgizmo running. I'd like to use as many native plugins as I can without bridging windows plugins if possible but for my workflow & needs this just isn't possible yet. I know about Hydrogen but I really want stick to dedicated DAW plugin instruments.

I've also got AVL drums running via lv2vst & it's pretty decent for a light weight drum plugin but it's a little too light weight & hard to get away from the machine gun sound because of the lack of round robin sampling.
James Peters has it and really likes it I believe.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
JamesPeters

No problems here, running DrumGizmo as a Linux VST in Reaper (installed from KXStudio repo). My system info is in my signature. (Using AntiX kernel currently since it has the Spectre/Meltdown fixes. But my system performed the same with the stock MX kernel.)

Some DrumGizmo kits use all 16 channels of audio all the time for every kit piece hit (or 13 channels). It's because of the intentional use of "bleed". That means all mics (for every kit piece) were recording all channels when for instance the snare was hit. Instead of just recording snare top/bottom (and maybe OH/room), every single channel of audio is used all the time. When playing back kits like that, they take more CPU. Also if the samples are lengthy (long decay), that means the audio is processing longer for all samples when triggered.

If you're using resampling in DrumGizmo, maybe consider turning that off and instead set your project's sample rate to match what the drumkit sample rate is. That should help.

There are also some options in Reaper under audio -> buffering (in particular the anticipative fx settings) you might want to try. "Allow on tracks with open MIDI editors" might help.

Oh also: is your CPU's frequency scaling governor set to "performance", to keep its processing speed high? That's kind of important. (It's like using Windows "power profile" set to "high performance".)

I have some high quality kits that I was going to release for DrumGizmo (for free), which don't have "bleed" (just proximity/OH/room mic channels, and their length is purposely kept only as long as necessary, so they use less CPU and also sound great), but I'm waiting to hear about DrumGizmo's development of the next version. Currently it doesn't round-robin properly. That is intended to be remedied in the next version. I'll probably have to redo some of the XML files with whatever is done in the new format, to allow for this functionality. It's best with round-robin functionality, and currently I'm using a separate "round robin" plugin to alternate samples, but I doubt most people would want to use it that way (having it just work properly in DrumGizmo would make things simpler). So I'm holding off for a bit.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Stringer

You might try moving the memory slider (I forget what it is called) in the lower right corner of the GUI. When I moved it all the way to the right, the symptoms you describe went away. I don't know if there are consequences for doing that, however.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
You might try moving the memory slider (I forget what it is called) in the lower right corner of the GUI. When I moved it all the way to the right, the symptoms you describe went away. I don't know if there are consequences for doing that, however.
Oh right, that feature. It's for disk streaming some samples, if you don't want to load the entire kit to RAM. I just use RAM, so disk streaming isn't necessary for me, and I move that slider up to "unlimited". Yeah that would make a difference!
Old 11-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
Peevy

Thanks for the input guys!

I have had some success it seems that the samples just take a long time to load into ram (at least on my 2 machines anyway) I've tried allowing unlimited ram use but IMO it eats up a bit too much ram, at one point reaper was using 7gb ram with only drumgizmo loaded. I like the very natural sound of the drumgizmo samples (crocelkit) I'll be downloading more asap.

I'll get back with an update on how I get on in actual project soon.
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
JamesPeters

Yeah some of those kits are large, and they do take long to load to RAM if you have a normal HDD (using an SSD is far better).

The kits I'm releasing are at most 3GB (I'm thinning out some of the unnecessary samples still), so that'll probably help.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Yeah some of those kits are large, and they do take long to load to RAM if you have a normal HDD (using an SSD is far better).

The kits I'm releasing are at most 3GB (I'm thinning out some of the unnecessary samples still), so that'll probably help.
I have the samples on an ssd & using the small version of the kit can still take a long time to load. Really looking forward to checking out your drum kits !

The new pc I built is pretty solid so shouldn’t have any trouble running drumgizmo. I’ve updated my sig with system info but for some reason it’s not showing up.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
JamesPeters

You should still look into what I said about the CPU frequency scaling governor. If your processor "throttles down" to 800MHz or so, it can temporarily be overwhelmed and cause some crackles/dropouts until the CPU throttles up to full speed. (All it takes is a single thread to reach 100% to do that, too, so even a more powerful processor such as yours could be prone to the odd dropout which can be otherwise easily avoided.) There's no "control panel -> power options" in Linux as there is in Windows, so you have to do this by command-line and/or editing a document (I think it'll vary based on your distro).
Old 07-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #10
herzplatine

Hey guys,

I am new here in this forum :-)!

I have a question regarding DrumGizmo multichannel:

How can I do a multichannel routing of DrumGizmo in Reaper?

Because of DrumGizmos plugin-format I have to open the plugin inside of Carla.
But how to go on?

Thanks!!
herzplatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
JamesPeters

Use the Linux VST version of DrumGizmo. No need for Carla.

You can get that version from the KXStudio repo.

Get the drum bank from my signature link. It has Reaper track templates set up for it already which include the routing. You can look at those. You might also like the drum kit. It's the one I was talking about earlier in the thread.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #12
herzplatine

Quote:
Use the Linux VST version of DrumGizmo. No need for Carla.

You can get that version from the KXStudio repo.

Get the drum bank from my signature link. It has Reaper track templates set up for it already which include the routing. You can look at those. You might also like the drum kit. It's the one I was talking about earlier in the thread.
Wow, thats awesome!
Thank you so much :-)!

Im going to test your kit :-)!
Old 07-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
JamesPeters

Glad to help!

Here's a video explaining the idea of track routing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO_vHtz_9_I

There are several ways of setting up track routing for plugins like this. I didn't use that way, but it also works.

The first step is knowing what your plugin's audio output routing is. I have the information from this included in the kit documentation. For each DrumGizmo kit, it can be different, so you'll have to check the documentation for each kit.

I wanted to use the "mono" channel outs of this DrumGizmo kit (I'm referring to the "main kit") for these channels' tracks:

-snare top proximity mic
-snare bottom proximity mic
-kick in proximity mic
-kick out proximity mic
-tom 1 proximity mic
-tom 2 proximity mic
-tom 3 proximity mic
-hihat proximity mic

Then I wanted to use stereo outs from the DrumGizmo track for these tracks:

-ride stereo mics
-cymbal stereo mics
-overhead stereo mics
-room stereo mics

(I could've built mono tracks for each of these outputs, but it would've added another 4 tracks to the mixer then I'd have needed to pan the stereo tracks left/right, and then I'd be adjusting those tracks together as a pair. It's better to have those as stereo tracks in this case.)

So I couldn't just use that handy feature that builds all the outputs automatically. Instead, I set up 12 tracks after the DrumGizmo track (knowing what the "output map" of the audio channels is for the kit in advance), then dragged/dropped routing from the "send bin" (in the master control panel) of the DrumGizmo track to each output track. During this, I selected each output channel(s) that I wanted to send to each output track. For the "snare top" output for instance, I chose to use a "mono send" of output 1 from the DrumGizmo track, to send to track number 3. Compare that with the "OH" (overhead) track number 13 which has outputs 13-14 of the DrumGizmo track feeding to it.

As a final step I disabled the master/parent send of the DrumGizmo track, because I didn't want it sending audio from that track directly to the master track. All its audio outs are intended to be separate, routed to 12 individual tracks which then feed the master track.

You can also see the track routing at a glance by calling up the routing matrix. From the "view" menu". If you're new to Reaper in general, this will probably seem confusing since the way it routs is set up differently from other DAWs. Reaper's routing is very flexible though, so once you get familiar with it, you'll probably find it hard to go back to other DAWs.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:35 PM   #14
herzplatine

Quote:
Glad to help!

Here's a video explaining the idea of track routing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO_vHtz_9_I

There are several ways of setting up track routing for plugins like this. I didn't use that way, but it also works.

The first step is knowing what your plugin's audio output routing is. I have the information from this included in the kit documentation. For each DrumGizmo kit, it can be different, so you'll have to check the documentation for each kit.

I wanted to use the "mono" channel outs of this DrumGizmo kit (I'm referring to the "main kit") for these channels' tracks:

-snare top proximity mic
-snare bottom proximity mic
-kick in proximity mic
-kick out proximity mic
-tom 1 proximity mic
-tom 2 proximity mic
-tom 3 proximity mic
-hihat proximity mic

Then I wanted to use stereo outs from the DrumGizmo track for these tracks:

-ride stereo mics
-cymbal stereo mics
-overhead stereo mics
-room stereo mics

(I could've built mono tracks for each of these outputs, but it would've added another 4 tracks to the mixer then I'd have needed to pan the stereo tracks left/right, and then I'd be adjusting those tracks together as a pair. It's better to have those as stereo tracks in this case.)

So I couldn't just use that handy feature that builds all the outputs automatically. Instead, I set up 12 tracks after the DrumGizmo track (knowing what the "output map" of the audio channels is for the kit in advance), then dragged/dropped routing from the "send bin" (in the master control panel) of the DrumGizmo track to each output track. During this, I selected each output channel(s) that I wanted to send to each output track. For the "snare top" output for instance, I chose to use a "mono send" of output 1 from the DrumGizmo track, to send to track number 3. Compare that with the "OH" (overhead) track number 13 which has outputs 13-14 of the DrumGizmo track feeding to it.

As a final step I disabled the master/parent send of the DrumGizmo track, because I didn't want it sending audio from that track directly to the master track. All its audio outs are intended to be separate, routed to 12 individual tracks which then feed the master track.

You can also see the track routing at a glance by calling up the routing matrix. From the "view" menu". If you're new to Reaper in general, this will probably seem confusing since the way it routs is set up differently from other DAWs. Reaper's routing is very flexible though, so once you get familiar with it, you'll probably find it hard to go back to other DAWs.
Thanks for your input :-).

I tried to drag your template inside of Reaper, but I cant hear any sound of DrumGizmo. Is there anything else to do?

I loaded the Kit; Midi is coming in, but no success.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:37 AM   #15
JamesPeters

You should read the included documentation. I've covered whatever that should be necessary. If you don't understand some terminology from it, that might be due to not being familiar with Reaper yet. If so, mention what you're not clear about, what step you couldn't perform or verify.

For instance: you don't just load the track template. There are instructions on what to do after you load the track template. Did you do those things?

I spent a fair bit of time making the documentation as clear as I could, so please take the time to read it and be sure you're not skipping things. Unless there's some particular step you're unsure about, there should be no reason to ask me on a forum how to make this work.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:01 AM   #16
herzplatine

I have read your documentation, its very detailed!

It was my fault: As you already mentioned, I dont have much experience with Reaper. The monitor of the Midi track was turned "off".
Sorry!

Now it works :-)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #17
JamesPeters

I'm glad you got it working!
Old 07-17-2020, 11:44 PM   #18
herzplatine

By the way: The kit sounds really nice.
Its fun to use and sounds raw but very good.
Thanks!

I am pretty new to Linux/Reaper, but I am very happy to find such es good plugins as DrumGizmo.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #19
JamesPeters

Vincent did a great job capturing the sounds of his kit! I'm glad to have been able to use his files to make this kit.

I started using Linux almost 2 years ago. It takes a bit of time to get used to it.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:26 AM   #20
frol1607

Default Drumgizmo VST for Linux

Hello,

I'm sorry if I'm bumping a dead thread. I just wanted to share some thoughts, in the hope that it will be useful to someone.

If you don't use a debian-based distro and you can't find a suitable drumgizmo VST for Linux that's pre-compiled, you can actually follow the instructions on the drumgizmo website that describes how to compile a VST for MacOS.

Now, you might also have to install a compiler and various headers and since almost every distro is different in that regard, it would be almost impossible to give any generic instructions on how to do that.

I hope this helps someone.

Fredrik
frol1607 is offline   Reply With Quote