Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #3121
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGrimmMusic View Post
I've been following this thread for a while and wanted to ask a couple questions.

I am currently using a full X-Touch with reaper and using the klinke MCU on a PC but plan on switching to a mac in the near future and was hoping this would take over as I have grown attached to a couple features in the klinke.

I was wondering if it was possible to use the drill downs to show only the Parent track folders unless the select button is held down which would then switch to only showing the parent track and the children track on the controller. Also is there a way to hide tracks on the MCU and still have them visible on the Mixer window. And lastly I currently love the way that the send/receive is handled by the klinke protocol where you can hold select down in SEND mode to show all sends to a receive track. is that at all possible?

Thanks for all your hard work to everyone on this thread! this project is amazing!
In some ways the Klinke integration is very well thought out and can't be beat. With this CSI, it is probably possible to copy most if not all of Klinke's functions, but as of now I don't think anyone has gotten into it that far with drill downs to guide you. There are some special button functions yet to come (I think, right Geoff?) such as button holds, double press, etc. So in that regard it is better than Klinke's because you can make it the exact way that works for you.

but, I'm not sure we can have any tracks visible on the MCP but not on the surface...usually it's the other way around or a mirror image.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #3122
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
In some ways the Klinke integration is very well thought out and can't be beat. With this CSI, it is probably possible to copy most if not all of Klinke's functions, but as of now I don't think anyone has gotten into it that far with drill downs to guide you. There are some special button functions yet to come (I think, right Geoff?) such as button holds, double press, etc. So in that regard it is better than Klinke's because you can make it the exact way that works for you.

but, I'm not sure we can have any tracks visible on the MCP but not on the surface...usually it's the other way around or a mirror image.
Right now you can, on a per Page basis, follow either TCP or MCP.

Future plans include Folder handling.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 AM   #3123
lubvic

Quote:
In some ways the Klinke integration is very well thought out and can't be beat.
I used klinke for a lot of time, with my old bcf2000s but, right now, i switched to CSI because of the impossibility to use more than a control surface with klinke (2 with a hack, but i own 3), a BIG drawback for me...
With CSI i'm slowly tailoring mi surface tu suite my needs.
lubvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 AM   #3124
mschnell

Quote:
In some ways the Klinke integration is very well thought out and can't be beat..
AFAIU, Klinke only decently can handle MCI controll surfaces and a workflow suggested by the original Mackie product.
CSI is intended to be much more flexible.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #3125
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubvic View Post
I used klinke for a lot of time, with my old bcf2000s but, right now, i switched to CSI because of the impossibility to use more than a control surface with klinke (2 with a hack, but i own 3), a BIG drawback for me...
With CSI i'm slowly tailoring mi surface tu suite my needs.
Same here, once I got more than 1 device I needed something more integrated. The hack is cool but then you don't get all of the good features of the newer Klinke version, so this CSI is definitely shaping up nicely for me
Old 06-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #3126
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAIU, Klinke only decently can handle MCI controll surfaces and a workflow suggested by the original Mackie product.
CSI is intended to be much more flexible.
-Michael
Indeed, not knocking csi at all, just pointing out that the klinke plugin has deep functionality and has some very nice features that I think many of us want to emulate here in CSI. Folder mode, track sends across the faders, and automatic fx mapping with deep drill downs, we have all talked about doing those and Klinke does it now by just installing the plugin. I think it's a good benchmark to shoot for. But where klinke has limitations, CSI just takes over and goes beyond.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #3127
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Indeed, not knocking csi at all, just pointing out that the klinke plugin has deep functionality and has some very nice features that I think many of us want to emulate here in CSI. Folder mode, track sends across the faders, and automatic fx mapping with deep drill downs, we have all talked about doing those and Klinke does it now by just installing the plugin. I think it's a good benchmark to shoot for. But where klinke has limitations, CSI just takes over and goes beyond.
Well, let's take this opportunity to add some features

With GoSubZone, we already have drill down to arbitrary depth.

Do we not already have automatic FX mapping with OnFXFocus and OnTrackSelection, do you mean something more ?

What is your dream Folder solution ?

What is your dream Sends solution ?

Throwing this out to everyone, let's add some features, join in the discussion !

Of course, please report any bugs as you find them
Old 06-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #3128
poetnprophet

Hey Geoff,

With regards to FX mapping, yes what we have now is really great. But auto FX mapping, that would be the next big thing. In Klinke's plugin, you get some created maps already included that (I'm assuming) he created. And you can modify those (although I was unsuccessful to do that). But, if an FX does not have a mapping already, all the params will still spill into the faders, albeit not in any useful order. I'm not sure that can be considered a real feature as is, but I'm thinking it would be really nice if CSI could automatically do something like that. Take the Console 1 with sections for certain params, and the fact that many params have the same wording: thresh/threshold, ratio/rat, input/gain/volume etc., could we have params that contain "xxx" automatically map to widget xyz? Maybe with an option to turn that feature on/off? Just thinking out loud.

For folders, I actually have some custom actions assigned to buttons that almost emulate that: one to collapse/open a single folder track, and one that does all folder tracks. And, I think with the inclusion of things like LongPress, I could emulate that on a per track basis like Klinke's is when you hold the select button for a folder track.

And, thanks to MixMonkey I have a perfect solution for sends that shows up on the C4 and toggles between fx and sends.

The only thing I would ask to add that would take this way over the top with regards to FX mapping: have an interface that can create the ZON file for fx. I'm imagining we have a list of widgets for a surface and a field for each where we can type in the param and plugin name, etc. After we fill it out, we press "create" and a Zon file is created accordingly (and maybe even CSI refreshes) so that it's done, mapped. We could take it a step further and include the Reaper stuff like "last param touched" so that we don't have to hunt for the param in the list (sometimes the the list is very long and the names are not intuitive).
Old 06-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #3129
poetnprophet

posting a few nitpicky bugs. nothing dealbreaking here, just documenting as requested:

- Track display names are left justified. Can they be centered?
- Time display, is there a way to default something different? Personally I would love it to default to Beats, but a choice would be nice for other considerations.
- Meters are only coded to left 0 or right 1, so a single channel meter panned one way will show Zero level depending on how it's setup. Is there a way to make a mono channel vu meter or otherwise address that so panning will not affect the level meter other than the way it should for pan law?
- Closing projects or Reaper should zero out all displays (currently track names, params, time display show last project's info).
- FX mapping, can we have a "blank" state, when no plugins or tracks are focused? I'm thinking like a zon called "no fx" where we can maybe put our band/company name on the device display (C4) or other cool things that get displayed when basically inactive.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #3130
Geoff Waddington

Thanks for reporting !!

Quote:
posting a few nitpicky bugs. nothing dealbreaking here, just documenting as requested:

- Track display names are left justified. Can they be centered?

- Time display, is there a way to default something different? Personally I would love it to default to Beats, but a choice would be nice for other considerations.
Reasonable requests, low priority.

Quote:
- Meters are only coded to left 0 or right 1, so a single channel meter panned one way will show Zero level depending on how it's setup. Is there a way to make a mono channel vu meter or otherwise address that so panning will not affect the level meter other than the way it should for pan law?
Good point, will add -- medium priority.

Quote:
- Closing projects or Reaper should zero out all displays (currently track names, params, time display show last project's info).
Bug, will fix.

Quote:
- FX mapping, can we have a "blank" state, when no plugins or tracks are focused? I'm thinking like a zon called "no fx" where we can maybe put our band/company name on the device display (C4) or other cool things that get displayed when basically inactive.
Interesting...
Old 06-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #3131
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
For folders, I actually have some custom actions assigned to buttons that almost emulate that: one to collapse/open a single folder track, and one that does all folder tracks. And, I think with the inclusion of things like LongPress, I could emulate that on a per track basis like Klinke's is when you hold the select button for a folder track.

And, thanks to MixMonkey I have a perfect solution for sends that shows up on the C4 and toggles between fx and sends.
Cool, I'll let you, @ MixMonkey, and others get the most out of what we have first.

Then, report what's missing, and we'll try to fill in the holes from this end.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #3132
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
The only thing I would ask to add that would take this way over the top with regards to FX mapping: have an interface that can create the ZON file for fx. I'm imagining we have a list of widgets for a surface and a field for each where we can type in the param and plugin name, etc. After we fill it out, we press "create" and a Zon file is created accordingly (and maybe even CSI refreshes) so that it's done, mapped. We could take it a step further and include the Reaper stuff like "last param touched" so that we don't have to hunt for the param in the list (sometimes the the list is very long and the names are not intuitive).
Yup, that's a UI -- we're not going there

Seriously I get what you are saying, but the cost (in terms of effort on my part) of building and maintaining a cross platform GUI is VERY difficult to justify.

That's why so much effort was put into making the .mst and .zon files as simple as possible.

I would rather spend time on other features, such as OSC at this point.

Certainly down the road this is possible, of course.

As a matter of fact the .mst and .zon file format is open and simple, anyone who wants to develop a tool to generate .mst or .zon files, please feel free, I simply don't have the time right now.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #3133
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Thanks for reporting !!

Reasonable requests, low priority.

Good point, will add -- medium priority.

Bug, will fix.

Interesting...
awesome, thank you for listening! As always, appreciate all you've done for us here
Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #3134
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
With regards to FX mapping, yes what we have now is really great. But auto FX mapping, that would be the next big thing. In Klinke's plugin, you get some created maps already included that (I'm assuming) he created. And you can modify those (although I was unsuccessful to do that). But, if an FX does not have a mapping already, all the params will still spill into the faders, albeit not in any useful order. I'm not sure that can be considered a real feature as is, but I'm thinking it would be really nice if CSI could automatically do something like that. Take the Console 1 with sections for certain params, and the fact that many params have the same wording: thresh/threshold, ratio/rat, input/gain/volume etc., could we have params that contain "xxx" automatically map to widget xyz? Maybe with an option to turn that feature on/off? Just thinking out loud.
Well...

That's a design philosophy question that I've pondered for over a dozen years now.

Here's how I come down on it.

Q: Why do you have a surface ?
A: To work more efficiently.

Q: If the FX parameters are just splayed out randomly, do you get ANY of the efficiency benefits ?
A: Not really

So, unless we could make a "super clever auto word match up " wizard, I don't think there's really much benefit there.

I think the VST monitor is about the best we can do, for now at least.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #3135
poetnprophet

Quote:
Yup, that's a UI -- we're not going there

Seriously I get what you are saying, but the cost (in terms of effort on my part) of building and maintaining a cross platform GUI is VERY difficult to justify.

That's why so much effort was put into making the .mst and .zon files as simple as possible.

I would rather spend time on other features, such as OSC at this point.

Certainly down the road this is possible, of course.

As a matter of fact the .mst and .zon file format is open and simple, anyone who wants to develop a tool to generate .mst or .zon files, please feel free, I simply don't have the time right now.
fair enough, I don't expect any and everything we ask for to come to fruition, just thinking out loud and long term. What we have so far is already above and beyond anything else that's available right now...
Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #3136
MixMonkey

Quote:

Actually, just filling out a surface template (like the one I posted for the C4) doesn't represent any more typing than what you've just described. Particularly if you make use of the vertical selection features in BBEdit or Notepad++. You can cut a parameter name from the VST dump and paste into the name, value and rotary fields in one go.

I'm afraid there's no way around it, if you want the controls where you want them, you have to put the mapping time in. Horrible, I know, but you only have to do it once for each plugin.

Regarding not being able to 'find' a particular control in a long VST dump with unhelpful ( or sometimes just plain wrong) names, you can use Reaper's built in 'last touched' feature.

If you open an FX window, move a control and then click the 'Parameter' button at the top of the window, you'll be able to see the VST parameter name in grey at the top of the drop down menu.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #3137
MixMonkey

Been fooling around with the GoSubZone and GoZone commands in an FX.zon file.

It works fine until you accidentally press the GoSubZone button whilst in the subzone. If you then press the GoZone button (to return to the initial fx zone), Reaper crashes. This is on Mac, haven't tried Win yet.

If you don't press the GoSubZone button when you're in the SubZone, you can flip back and forth with no issue. Crash dump below:
Code:
Process:               REAPER [826]
Path:                  /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER
Identifier:            com.cockos.reaper
Version:               5.97.800 (5.97.800)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           REAPER [826]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-06-21 02:36:25.619 +0100
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.4 (18E226)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        2BA6B564-D394-4BC7-86C1-959074C24EAA

Time Awake Since Boot: 2700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        40

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000001000009
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [826]

VM Regions Near 0x1000009:
--> 
    __TEXT                 00000001069b5000-00000001074a8000 [ 10.9M] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER

Thread 0:: reaper  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_platform.dylib      	0x00007fff5dcedd09 _platform_memmove$VARIANT$Haswell + 41
1   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d859d std::__1::enable_if<(is_same<std::__1::remove_const<Zone*>::type, Zone*>::value) && (is_trivially_copy_assignable<Zone*>::value), Zone**>::type std::__1::__move<Zone*, Zone*>(Zone**, Zone**, Zone**) + 77
2   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d8387 Zone** std::__1::move<Zone**, Zone**>(Zone**, Zone**, Zone**) + 71
3   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d7f6b std::__1::vector<Zone*, std::__1::allocator<Zone*> >::erase(std::__1::__wrap_iter<Zone* const*>) + 107
4   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d7dd9 ControlSurface::RemoveActiveZone(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 265
5   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115a1372 ControlSurface::DeactivateZone(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 82
6   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115a112a ControlSurface::GoZone(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 394
7   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115c2565 Page::GoZone(ControlSurface*, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 101
8   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115c24a1 GoZone::Do(ControlSurface*, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 81
9   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011164b0bc SurfaceContextWithStringParam::DoAction(double) + 92
10  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011159f091 WidgetActionContextManager::DoAction(double) + 305
11  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011159ef56 Widget::DoAction(double) + 54
12  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115b6915 Press_Midi_ControlSignalGenerator::ProcessMidiMessage(MIDI_event_ex_t const*) + 37
13  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115dccd7 Midi_ControlSurface::ProcessMidiMessage(MIDI_event_ex_t const*) + 359
14  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115dcafd Midi_ControlSurface::HandleMidiInput() + 125
15  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115a6159 Midi_ControlSurface::Run() + 25
16  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011157ac51 Page::Run() + 113
17  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x0000000111577056 Manager::Run() + 134
18  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x0000000111576fc8 CSurfIntegrator::Run() + 24
19  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106cdc924 CSurf_Run() + 852
20  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106a7d55f runMiscTimers() + 6127
21  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106a7b0f3 Main_OnTimer(HWND__*, unsigned long) + 163
22  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000107019741 MainProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 2481
23  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106ec36a6 SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 438
24  com.apple.Foundation          	0x00007fff33936e6b __NSFireTimer + 80
25  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316b6fc0 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20
26  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316b6b6c __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 851
27  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316b66b2 __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 330
28  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316978b2 __CFRunLoopRun + 2130
29  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff31696e0e CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 455
30  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff309839db RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 292
31  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff30983715 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 603
32  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff309834a6 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
33  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed1dffb _DPSNextEvent + 965
34  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed1cd93 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 1361
35  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed16eb0 -[NSApplication run] + 699
36  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed063f0 NSApplicationMain + 777
37  com.cockos.reaper             	0x00000001069b69f4 start + 52
Old 06-21-2019, 02:59 AM   #3138
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Been fooling around with the GoSubZone and GoZone commands in an FX.zon file.

It works fine until you accidentally press the GoSubZone button whilst in the subzone. If you then press the GoZone button (to return to the initial fx zone), Reaper crashes. This is on Mac, haven't tried Win yet.

If you don't press the GoSubZone button when you're in the SubZone, you can flip back and forth with no issue. Crash dump below:
Code:
Process:               REAPER [826]
Path:                  /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER
Identifier:            com.cockos.reaper
Version:               5.97.800 (5.97.800)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           REAPER [826]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-06-21 02:36:25.619 +0100
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.4 (18E226)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        2BA6B564-D394-4BC7-86C1-959074C24EAA

Time Awake Since Boot: 2700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        40

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000001000009
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [826]

VM Regions Near 0x1000009:
--> 
    __TEXT                 00000001069b5000-00000001074a8000 [ 10.9M] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/REAPER64.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER

Thread 0:: reaper  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_platform.dylib      	0x00007fff5dcedd09 _platform_memmove$VARIANT$Haswell + 41
1   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d859d std::__1::enable_if<(is_same<std::__1::remove_const<Zone*>::type, Zone*>::value) && (is_trivially_copy_assignable<Zone*>::value), Zone**>::type std::__1::__move<Zone*, Zone*>(Zone**, Zone**, Zone**) + 77
2   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d8387 Zone** std::__1::move<Zone**, Zone**>(Zone**, Zone**, Zone**) + 71
3   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d7f6b std::__1::vector<Zone*, std::__1::allocator<Zone*> >::erase(std::__1::__wrap_iter<Zone* const*>) + 107
4   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115d7dd9 ControlSurface::RemoveActiveZone(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 265
5   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115a1372 ControlSurface::DeactivateZone(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 82
6   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115a112a ControlSurface::GoZone(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 394
7   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115c2565 Page::GoZone(ControlSurface*, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 101
8   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115c24a1 GoZone::Do(ControlSurface*, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >) + 81
9   reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011164b0bc SurfaceContextWithStringParam::DoAction(double) + 92
10  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011159f091 WidgetActionContextManager::DoAction(double) + 305
11  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011159ef56 Widget::DoAction(double) + 54
12  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115b6915 Press_Midi_ControlSignalGenerator::ProcessMidiMessage(MIDI_event_ex_t const*) + 37
13  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115dccd7 Midi_ControlSurface::ProcessMidiMessage(MIDI_event_ex_t const*) + 359
14  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115dcafd Midi_ControlSurface::HandleMidiInput() + 125
15  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x00000001115a6159 Midi_ControlSurface::Run() + 25
16  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x000000011157ac51 Page::Run() + 113
17  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x0000000111577056 Manager::Run() + 134
18  reaper_csurf_integrator.dylib 	0x0000000111576fc8 CSurfIntegrator::Run() + 24
19  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106cdc924 CSurf_Run() + 852
20  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106a7d55f runMiscTimers() + 6127
21  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106a7b0f3 Main_OnTimer(HWND__*, unsigned long) + 163
22  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000107019741 MainProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 2481
23  com.cockos.reaper             	0x0000000106ec36a6 SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 438
24  com.apple.Foundation          	0x00007fff33936e6b __NSFireTimer + 80
25  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316b6fc0 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20
26  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316b6b6c __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 851
27  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316b66b2 __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 330
28  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff316978b2 __CFRunLoopRun + 2130
29  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff31696e0e CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 455
30  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff309839db RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 292
31  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff30983715 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 603
32  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff309834a6 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
33  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed1dffb _DPSNextEvent + 965
34  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed1cd93 -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 1361
35  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed16eb0 -[NSApplication run] + 699
36  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff2ed063f0 NSApplicationMain + 777
37  com.cockos.reaper             	0x00000001069b69f4 start + 52
Thanks, SubZones on the Zone stack are a tricky thing, might rethink the Zone stack design...

In the meantime, thanks for testing, will see if there's a quick fix.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:34 AM   #3139
mschnell

Quote:
And, I think with the inclusion of things like LongPress, I could emulate that on a per track basis like Klinke's is when you hold the select butto
Speaking of gestures for emulating certain (MCU-based) festures, just a reminder / question for Geoff:
Did you do/consider the conversion of a rotary to a pair of (up/down) buttons ?

When testing with the XTouch Compact in native mode, I found that this would be sensible/necessary e.g. for the track visibility moving, as the device features many rotaries, but not that many buttons.

Technically this would mean:
if the value of the rotary is received as greater/equal 65 or lower/equal 63, virtually push either the "up" or the "down" button respectively, and send value=64 to the rotary to reset it to 64 (middle).

Thanks for listening,
-Michael
Old 06-21-2019, 04:40 AM   #3140
MixMonkey

Quote:
Thanks, SubZones on the Zone stack are a tricky thing, might rethink the Zone stack design...

In the meantime, thanks for testing, will see if there's a quick fix.
I think I may have found a workaround. Don't use SubZones When I take my subzone definition and turn it into a discrete zone (within the C4 .zon folder) and access it with GoZone instead of GoSubZone, I can flip back and forth between the main Zone and the 'SubZone' with no problem.

Haven't managed to crash it yet

This is better for me, as I would prefer whatever C4 subzones I create to be in their own file, rather than being added to the main .zon file.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:50 AM   #3141
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Speaking of gestures for emulating certain (MCU-based) festures, just a reminder / question for Geoff:
Did you do/consider the conversion of a rotary to a pair of (up/down) buttons ?
-Michael
You could re-define the rotary to be a pair of Press widgets, like Juedue did with the the Jog Wheel:
Code:
Widget JogWheelRotaryCW
	Press b0 3c 01
WidgetEnd

Widget JogWheelRotaryCCW
	Press b0 3c 41
Instead of:
Code:
Widget JogWheelRotary
	Encoder b0 3c 7f
	FB_Encoder b0 3c 7f
Of course that then commits that rotary to the press definition, I think maybe you're looking for a zone based definition?
Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 AM   #3142
MixMonkey

Quote:

Throwing this out to everyone, let's add some features, join in the discussion !
Please, please, please, RadioButtons
Old 06-21-2019, 05:13 AM   #3143
lubvic

Can i ask this question one more time?
i'd like to have volume values as DisplayLower default and show pan values only when using rotary, how to configure my Zone?

Actual configuration:

Zone Channel|1-8
TrackNavigator
DisplayUpper| TrackNameDisplay
//DisplayLower| TrackPanDisplay
DisplayLower| TrackVolumeDisplay
Rotary+DisplayLower| TrackPanDisplay
RotaryPush| TrackCycle PanWidthCycle 2
PanWidthCycle+Rotary| TrackPan 1
PanWidthCycle+Rotary| TrackPanWidth 1
RecordArm| TrackRecordArm
Solo| TrackSolo
Mute| TrackMute
Select| TrackUniqueSelect
Shift+Select| TrackRangeSelect
Control+Select| TrackSelect
Fader| TrackVolume
//TrackTouch+Fader| TrackVolume
//FaderTouch| TrackTouch TrackUniqueSelect
VUMeterMain| TrackOutputMeter 0
VUMeterext1_| TrackOutputMeter 0
VUMeterext2_| TrackOutputMeter 0

ZoneEnd

Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #3144
MixMonkey

Quote:
i'd like to have volume values as DisplayLower default and show pan values only when using rotary, how to configure my Zone?
As the rotaries aren't touch sensitive, I don't think you can switch automatically.

Actually I've just noticed that TrackTouch doesn't seem to be working- the display doesn't change to track volume when the fader is touched. Geoff?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #3145
lubvic

Quote:
As the rotaries aren't touch sensitive, I don't think you can switch automatically.

Actually I've just noticed that TrackTouch doesn't seem to be working- the display doesn't change to track volume when the fader is touched. Geoff?
ok, it'd be good to have default configuration with volume values, but when itouch faders, vumeters go blank.
i can live without pan values, vu meters ar more important to me.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #3146
mschnell

Quote:
You could re-define the rotary to be a pair of Press widgets, like Juedue did with the the Jog Wheel:
GREAT!!

Going to test this ASAP (unfortunately not freally soon, though )
-Michael
Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #3147
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I think I may have found a workaround. Don't use SubZones When I take my subzone definition and turn it into a discrete zone (within the C4 .zon folder) and access it with GoZone instead of GoSubZone, I can flip back and forth between the main Zone and the 'SubZone' with no problem.

Haven't managed to crash it yet
The only trouble is that your Zone stack gets "dirty", cluttered up with SubZones that didn't get Deactivated when the main FX Zone got Deactivated.

If you have a "Home" button mapped, that clears the stack as well as going Home.

Quote:
This is better for me, as I would prefer whatever C4 subzones I create to be in their own file, rather than being added to the main .zon file.
There is no need for a SubZone definition to be in the same file as the parent Zone.

The decision making is all done at runtime, feel free to organize your .zon files any way you like.

I haven't tested this, but I don't think you even have to have included Zones in the same file.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #3148
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Please, please, please, RadioButtons
Yup, on the list
Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #3149
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

Actual configuration:

Zone Channel|1-8
TrackNavigator
//DisplayLower| TrackPanDisplay
DisplayLower| TrackVolumeDisplay
Rotary+DisplayLower| TrackPanDisplay
RotaryPush| TrackCycle PanWidthCycle 2
PanWidthCycle+Rotary| TrackPan 1
PanWidthCycle+Rotary| TrackPanWidth 1
RecordArm| TrackRecordArm
Solo| TrackSolo
Mute| TrackMute
Select| TrackUniqueSelect
Shift+Select| TrackRangeSelect
Control+Select| TrackSelect
Fader| TrackVolume
//TrackTouch+Fader| TrackVolume
//FaderTouch| TrackTouch TrackUniqueSelect
VUMeterMain| TrackOutputMeter 0
VUMeterext1_| TrackOutputMeter 0
VUMeterext2_| TrackOutputMeter 0

ZoneEnd

Rotary+DisplayLower| is not a valid statement, that is a problem.

Also why so many VU Meters, do you have 24 meters all on the left channel ?

Ah, I see you mention in a post below what you want, will try to answer there.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #3150
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

Hmmm... Just checked, Track Touch working fine here on the Avid Artist stuff, maybe compare your .zon files with those ?

Are you on the Jun 14 build ?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #3151
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
ok, it'd be good to have default configuration with volume values, but when itouch faders, vumeters go blank.
i can live without pan values, vu meters ar more important to me.
You could put the Volume display on the top, temporarily taking over the Track Name, something like this:

Code:
        TrackTouch+DisplayUpper|  TrackVolumeDisplay
Also a good idea to make sure you don't have any other stray definitions buggering things up, just have a glance over your .zon file.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #3152
lubvic

Quote:
You could put the Volume display on the top, temporarily taking over the Track Name, something like this:

Code:
        TrackTouch+DisplayUpper|  TrackVolumeDisplay
Also a good idea to make sure you don't have any other stray definitions buggering things up, just have a glance over your .zon file.
That's a great idea! :-)
...and yes, i have 24 vumeters, not really on the left, but, as asked few posts above, ther's no way to map L+R vumeter, right?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #3153
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
That's a great idea! :-)
...and yes, i have 24 vumeters, not really on the left, but, as asked few posts above, ther's no way to map L+R vumeter, right?
Wow, cool, yeah I should build a L+R meter, I think that's probably a good start, we can tackle multi channel metering later
Old 06-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #3154
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

When no projects are open surfaces should now zero.

I put a hack in for SubZones, hopefully fixes the crash for now, but the Zone stack is due for a rework.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #3155
Ruxton

Been following for a while and finally got involved. Maybe this has been discussed, but I had a look and couldn't see anything. I'm mapping the Tascam US-2400 and don't like how banking behaves. Could TrackBank be a bit smarter about banking? eg. I have 24 faders and 49 chans..

Bank up once, gets me to 25-48
Bank up once more gets me to 26-49
bank down will now be 2-25
then 1-24

Could the banking behave in a more windowed fashion?

Bank up once, gets me to 25-48
Bank up once more gets me to 26-49
Bank down goes back to 25-48
then 1-24

I know it's easier to just bank down -24 tracks, but it feels a lot nicer when the behaviour of up/down is the same windows.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #3156
Ruxton

Quote:
New build is up.

When no projects are open surfaces should now zero.

I put a hack in for SubZones, hopefully fixes the crash for now, but the Zone stack is due for a rework.
Just loaded this up (win x64) and my master fader is going nuts, Fader7Bit. Works fine on previous version

Also, in the previous version i'm having a weird issue.

Faders in US2400 native mode are:

b0 00 7f
b0 01 7f
b0 02 7f

etc.

it also sends along with b0 00, b0 20, so 32bits above each fader with more relative values? (they're solid numbers 00,10,30,50) eg. b0 21 30, b0 22 10.

faders defined as:

Widget Fader1
Fader7Bit b0 00 7f
FB_Fader7Bit b0 00 7f
WidgetEnd

Widget Fader2
Fader7Bit b0 01 7f
FB_Fader7Bit b0 01 7f
WidgetEnd

Widget Fader3
Fader7Bit b0 02 7f
FB_Fader7Bit b0 02 7f
WidgetEnd

etc.

messages on b0 01 to b0 17 are causing the plugin to output b0 00 values

Last edited by Ruxton; 06-21-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: another issue, didnt want to repost
Ruxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #3157
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruxton View Post
Just loaded this up (win x64) and my master fader is going nuts, Fader7Bit. Works fine on previous version
As per post below, please try latest build and see if your Master Fader settles down.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #3158
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

Removed fix for zeroing controls when no project is opened, will revisit.

Added TrackOutputMeterAverageLR and TrackOutputMeterMaxPeakLR.

They take no parameters (no 0 or 1).

Code:
        VUMeterext1_| TrackOutputMeterAverageLR
        VUMeterext2_| TrackOutputMeterMaxPeakLR
VUMeterext1_ shows the average of left and right.

VUMeterext1_ shows whichever value is higher.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #3159
Ruxton

Quote:
As per post below, please try latest build and see if your Master Fader settles down.
yep, much more behaved

the other issue is still doing it's thing.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #3160
MixMonkey

Quote:

SubZone crash has gone, but what is the reason for SubZones?

Surely you can just create more Zones to hold more FX parameters and use GoZone to access them and return to the Zone you arrived at through OnFXFocus MapFocusedTrackFXToWidgets.

What am I missing?