Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS X

Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
markgalup
Human being with feelings

Default Master Hardware Output 1/2 Clipping Digi002 on Mac

Hi all,

Long time lurker here but this is my first post. Thank you very much for the wealth of information in this forum! I am a producer/engineer/mixer of 15 years and I am switching from my native Pro Tools on mac to Reaper on mac. I can't wait to be rid of all the screwy anomalies and restrictive platform.

I took master mixes into a reaper session, and then duplicated my mastering chain from Pro Tools 12.4 into Reaper. All levels were exactly the same, and within Reaper that seemed to be the case. However, my output was clipping terribly. I finally figured this out and ended up turning my hardware output 1/2 down about -6 dB to avoid clipping, but I would like to know for sure. I have read posts about similar situations, but this was a huge gain difference. I don't believe CoreAudio allows you to calibrate gain, i.e. in Audio/Midi Setup, etc. I want to be sure I am turning the output down enough so I have no "false positive" clipping whatsoever while mixing/mastering. Does anyone have any advice?

The only strange thing I can see is that, due to my Digi002 drivers being EOL, I have an "Avid 002" and a "Digi002" both showing up in my Audio/Midi Setup. However, I am only using the Avid 002. What I'm wondering is if somehow the computer is routing it to the same interface twice. I have verified that only one device is being used both in Reaper and in Audio/Midi.

Thank you much in advance!

Best,
MG
markgalup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
DDDan

Hi Mark
Welcome, and this is a bit the 'blind leading the blind' because just like you I just started Reaper and coming from PT as well. So I am not an expert at all. However, I had a similar thing, not sure if it is the same; I managed to mess up the routing and was sending the same track to the master and from there to the hardware outputs, but I also had routed the same track directly to a hardware out, resulting in the two signals being summed.
So go to your routing window (in the view menu) and check if you did something similar.

For the rest I really enjoy Reaper, you need to say goodbye to some PT habits, but I find new workflows quite easily. One warning: study the way Reaper deals with mono, because that is a bit weird, although once you get the picture, it is workable, but very different from PT (and all other daws) Same for side chaining BTW.

Anyway, good luck,

Daniel
DDDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
flipotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgalup View Post
Hi all,

Long time lurker here but this is my first post. Thank you very much for the wealth of information in this forum! I am a producer/engineer/mixer of 15 years and I am switching from my native Pro Tools on mac to Reaper on mac. I can't wait to be rid of all the screwy anomalies and restrictive platform.

I took master mixes into a reaper session, and then duplicated my mastering chain from Pro Tools 12.4 into Reaper. All levels were exactly the same, and within Reaper that seemed to be the case. However, my output was clipping terribly. I finally figured this out and ended up turning my hardware output 1/2 down about -6 dB to avoid clipping, but I would like to know for sure. I have read posts about similar situations, but this was a huge gain difference. I don't believe CoreAudio allows you to calibrate gain, i.e. in Audio/Midi Setup, etc. I want to be sure I am turning the output down enough so I have no "false positive" clipping whatsoever while mixing/mastering. Does anyone have any advice?

The only strange thing I can see is that, due to my Digi002 drivers being EOL, I have an "Avid 002" and a "Digi002" both showing up in my Audio/Midi Setup. However, I am only using the Avid 002. What I'm wondering is if somehow the computer is routing it to the same interface twice. I have verified that only one device is being used both in Reaper and in Audio/Midi.

Thank you much in advance!

Best,
MG
I just picked up one of these digi002, I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake... I am using it in a audio production course at my high school, I'm a teacher, I was able to get an old imac to recognize it. I used drivers from avid. "Avid002" is what I see in my driver list. I have not tried on windows yet, I may get to that today.
Have you had any luck using it as a control surface with reaper?
Old 09-09-2016, 03:13 AM   #4
DDDan

The 002 is a discontinued product for which no new drivers are being developed, but up till now the 003 drivers seem to work fine. (at least on the mac)
Using it as a remote in Reaper is unlikely, this was before Avid used the Eucon protocol (which can be used with Reaper).
The 003 (the successor of the 002) could be used in midi mode and then you could map all midi data to control faders etc, but if my memory serves me right the 002 didn't have that option.
And even with the 003 it was a lot of work to get it to do what you wanted.
DDDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #5
flipotto

Yeah - that is what I was afraid of.
I looked but could not find any reference material on the display nor the control message format I'm not afraid of trying to convert these messages to a mackie format but... Perhaps my energy would be better used elsewhere and I should just sell it.