Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #761
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
perhaps you can tell me: how do you make a time selection in the notation editor?

I have loop selection separate from time selection, so I can alt-drag in the tempo line in notation but that sets loop and time together.
There are two options in Mouse Modifiers > MIDI piano roll > Left drag that you can use: "Select time" or "Select time ignoring snap".

EDIT: Oops! I just noticed that these mouse modifiers do not work in the notation editor. Then I'm stumped. I wonder if we will get a new Mouse modifiers context for the notation view?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:54 AM   #762
juliansader

- Bug report: When the notation view zooms out, the notes and rests are drawn a little too high, and they do not fit properly on the staves any more. Eventually, the notes in the staves' spaces start to look as if they are actually on the lines. C above middle C looks more like a D, etc.

- In the Windows version of REAPER, mousewheel scrolling in notation view works like Apple's "natural scrolling", instead of the standard Windows scrolling direction.

- Feature Request: Could we please have the piano roll mouse modifiers that are currently not working in notation view back? "Time select", "Arpeggiate", etc.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #763
zappadave

Default Tuplets

I am working in tuplets in 4/4.
I can only get up too 10 tuplets in a quarter note, can't set actions for 11, but want more tuplet madness
Ideally I need actions to set this up in the midi toolbar.
actions are:-

Grid: Set grid to 1/11
Grid: Set grid to 1/13
Grid: Set grid to 1/17
Grid: Set grid to 1/19

This will enable 1/44 , 1/52 , 1/68 , 1/76, which i can't do at present

And yes i know my music is weird, but hope this is not too much to ask.
Thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #764
hamish

Notation editor 'Display quantize' and 'Minimum note length' can not be set per project tab when working on multiple projects in tabs.

FR: Can these settings possibly be remembered per project?
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #765
sebas777

Another way to make "display quantizing" easier would be to introduce the "Grid Edit Mode":

...with the Grid Edit Mode enabled, you would simply *drag a grid line in the piano roll view, and it would snap to notes* (their starts and/or ends). After you release the mouse button, tempo change/changes would be added to fit the notes into grid. With a few clicks the midi data would both look and play perfectly.

I remember Justin saying once, that it cannot be done without rewriting core Reaper code, but maybe I haven't explained it well at that time: this is just inserting tempos by dragging one grid line at a time.

Or even simpler: in the mode you could drag notes and they at first would snap to grid lines, but then the tempo changes would be added instead of quantizing, so the absolute timing would remain unchanged. That would be even simpler to program - it would not look as cool as dragging grid lines around, though .

PS. If Reaper had a "child tempo track" that could be enabled/disabled, one could hear the notes with and without "tempo rubato" - or quantized. . Then you could add drum loops, and enable the rubato back - and listen to amazing living electronic music drums that follow the recording.

If the tempo track had a "%" slider, one could continuously control tempo variations between original (flowing) and 100% mechanical, and the slider could be automated...

OK. I know. I know.

Last edited by sebas777; 04-13-2016 at 06:32 PM.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #766
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Notation editor 'Display quantize' and 'Minimum note length' can not be set per project tab when working on multiple projects in tabs.

FR: Can these settings possibly be remembered per project?
What makes the most sense, having the display quantize settings be global, per-project, or per-track?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #767
pcartwright

I would say a project setting that could, if possible, be overridden per track.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #768
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
What makes the most sense, having the display quantize settings be global, per-project, or per-track?
Well I would definitely use per-track if it was available. I think it's the most powerful and to me it would make sense if it was a track parameter in the .RPP. It would be great. Would that be easy enough to do?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #769
sebas777

@schwa

Per track, or even per item. In Logic it was per item (see included pics, btw the display parameters box was only displayed in the score editor).
You could cut a small part and use a finer resolution for a moment, where needed.

It would be great, if the last selected resolution would be remembered as a default for the song (until changed manually).
Attached Images
File Type: png item display quantization.PNG (35.5 KB, 271 views)
File Type: png different resolutions.PNG (44.0 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by sebas777; 04-13-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #770
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Well I would definitely use per-track if it was available. I think it's the most powerful and to me it would make sense if it was a track parameter in the .RPP. It would be great. Would that be easy enough to do?
It's actually already done, I was just waiting for somebody to ask for it
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #771
hamish

Cool!! I'll be glad to mess around with it when it makes it's way into the pres
Old 04-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #772
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
@schwa

Per track, or even per item. In Logic it was per item (see included pics, btw the display parameters box was only displayed in the score editor).
You could cut a small part and use a finer resolution for a moment, where needed.

It would be great, if the last selected resolution would be remembered as a default for the song (until changed manually).
Yes please
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #773
memyselfandus

How about all the most common and basic functions as well as all the current stuff (and some more) in the main menues stays there and then every possible option one would want reside in the actions list for notation. By catagories and function. Pretty much how it is already

This would keep new users happy as and people who use advanced features as well as most feature requests will be taken care of. Future proof.

And or some options to create user defined main menues? I don't see any reason to limit features or rake any options out when they could be used over in the actions menue.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #774
Iu.Gob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
@schwa

+1. Please
Iu.Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #775
sebas777

@memyselfandus
@Iu.Gob

Thank you for the votes!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #776
Commala

Colour noteheads? Please? Sibelius is doing it! Cmonnn you know you wanna!

I'll just leave this here: http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/mon...rning-updates/

Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #777
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's actually already done, I was just waiting for somebody to ask for it
Smartarse!
Old 04-17-2016, 03:56 AM   #778
ed209

I know that Justin and Schwa are in the final stages for first official release - fantastic - but I would like to make a request.

I really feel that tuplet handling needs one more feature to feel stable. The feature that would make it more user friendly (for me) would be an option for grid to be updated according to the tuplets (or non-tuplets) of the edit cursor position.

What do you think people? Once 5.20 goes official, this has to be put in the Feature Request section, and I'm to lazy to do that haha

Also, this has not been given a lot of thought, mind you.

Edit:
got the feeling that some might think (?) I was on the developing team...

Last edited by ed209; 04-17-2016 at 06:57 AM.
ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #779
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
I know we are in finishing touches for first official release ...
Any chance for preparing to enhance the subproject feature to additional modes (as discussed in the Feature request forum):

1) pre-rendered (as it is now)
2) rendered when playing (The SP is rather similar to a folder track limited to an item)
3) on top of that implement a TCP/IP protocol that allows to run the subproject (in play-mode) on another machine. (As a replacement for ReaMode which is known to not decently work e.g. with Sample Libraries).

I suppose (3) can't be done right now.

But I also suppose (2) is rather easy to do and would be great in itself (there have been several such requests) and would be perfect as a preparation for (3).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #780
Commala

5.20beta1, Windows 7 64-bit, ran into a few bugs, or something funny going on:

I'm using midi step input mode, in case that makes a difference

When using the left and right arrow keys to advance the edit cursor by grid length, moving the cursor to the first beat of a bar will result in it being positioned at the end of the fourth beat of the previous bar.

Using custom actions to set grid and note length at the same time (i.e. to 1/4) results in only grid length being reliably changed. It sets the note length to half of the value of the action.

The custom action is 'Set length for next inserted note: 1/4 preserving division type' and 'Grid: Set to 1/4 preserving grid type'. I've assigned this to numpad 4 in the midi editor section. Seems to work properly if I don't use the actions to 'preserve division/grid type'.

I think I read this one earlier in the thread: clicking the midi toolbar causes the midi editor to lose focus. I'm also getting that when hitting keyboard shortcuts, for example the above custom action.

With regards to the shortcut contexts, can the notation editor get its own section? I'm reassigning shortcuts to use in the notation editor, but I have to import a different keymap to use the piano roll, as there are a couple changes that I find necessary to make between them (changing the function of the mouse wheel to scroll in the notation editor vs horizontal zoom in piano roll).

Edit: corrected the action descriptions. And on further consideration, this might not really be considered a notation editor bug, if it was also present in the midi editor

Edit 2: looks like the editor losing focus only happens when docked

Edit 3: the actions to 'preserve grid division' probably work that way because they're supposed to do that, aren't they? I retract this, in that case.

Last edited by Commala; 04-18-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #781
memyselfandus

Quote:

I'll just leave this here: http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/mon...rning-updates/

Yes please. On first release
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #782
panicaftermath

In the main arrange view and the ME, pressing the apostrophe key will "Go to play position." This doesn't work in the Notation editor, so you need to start scrolling and looking for the cursor or a measure number or some other landmark to bring the view in line with what you're hearing. (Or switch to Piano roll, locate, and switch back, which seems to work.)

Wondering, will there be a "Notation" section/context in the Action list?
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #783
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicaftermath View Post
Wondering, will there be a "Notation" section/context in the Action list?
We aren't planning to separate the piano roll and notation editor actions, because almost all of the piano roll actions work in the notation editor.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #784
tack

It would be sweet to see notated MIDI tracks in the arrange view, instead of the standard MIDI piano roll. Reaper 6?
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #785
memyselfandus

I just want the bouncing ball
Old 04-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #786
snooks
Banned

When "Selection is linked to visibility" we can alternate between page views of the different tracks open in the MIDI editor. This is good. However when it isn't enabled and we select a track that is vertically out of view, the view does not vertically scroll to the track.

Although I am always slabbering on about not wanting any auto-scrolling or zooming in the piano roll, but there all events at a given place in the timeline are always visible (if we want) there, so scrolling horizontally or zooming is not required/desired to see what's there (or not - currently impossible to quickly see what's not there with the auto-scroll/zoom and undo not working properly to restore the previous zoom/scroll position).
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #787
memyselfandus

When working in a "items" context

Can we please get a option for the item to open up in the notation editor at bar 1?

Regardless of what bar the item is at in the arrange view?

The default is perfect but it would be AWESOME to have the option when putting smaller parts and ideas together for later.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #788
juliansader

Quote:

Ooh, so pretty! (And practical and useful too.)

If notehead colormaps are too difficult to implement in the 5.20 release, how about just three new theme colors to replace the black-on-white?
- Notation background (or this can follow piano roll background color)
- Default staff color (including key signatures, clef etc)
- Default note color (which can later be overridden by the colormaps)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #789
Victor_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

If notehead colormaps are too difficult to implement in the 5.20 release, how about just three new theme colors to replace the black-on-white?
- Notation background (or this can follow piano roll background color)
- Default staff color (including key signatures, clef etc)
- Default note color (which can later be overridden by the colormaps)
Yes! +1
Victor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #790
EvilDragon

Cockos is in feature freeze for 5.20 now. Any notation FRs will be considered at a later date. Just FYI.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #791
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Just curious - but what would this be useful for?
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #792
EvilDragon

Coloring different voices (like Sibelius does), for example.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #793
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
In addition to distinguishing between voices (or channels):
- Coloring by velocity will be particularly useful in notation view since there is no velocity/CC panes at the bottom (yet?)
- Coloring by track or media item will help the user to quickly orientate and find the correct staff, especially in large projects.

I hope that we will eventually be able to color the staff (staff lines, clef, key sig etc) separately from the notes and rests. That way, the staff can be colored by track, and the notes by velocity, voice or channel.

Since we are using a DAW, we can pack a lot more information into notation view than is possible with standard notation conventions and black-on-white sheet music.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #794
EvilDragon

Well whaddaya know, note head coloring in 5.20beta3.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #795
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Well whaddaya know, note head coloring in 5.20beta3.

I bet it was there ready ED, just not linked-in. Schwa has nearly every possibility we think up pre-programmed

>
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #796
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
I use it to colour the notes by pitch. It conveys information quickly, in a way that black ink never could historically.

Since we don't need to be constrained to monochromaticism in the computer, using colour can enhance the reader's (my) ability to discern the harmonic meaning of the music

Not that there's anything wrong with reading pitch solely relying on notehead position and relative spacing, but I just find the colours a bit faster for my brain at least (in short, I'm not the best sight-reader).
Old 04-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #797
sebas777

And in Logic there's a handy general command of "select equal colored objects", working with different types of objects, too .

Great when coupled with "paste at original position" and "toggle selection".

Btw. the sustain pedal (CC64) is not displayed in the score editor (as of 5.20beta 3). In Cakewalk (sic!), very often I used the score view for moving/editing this controller.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustain_pedal
Old 04-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #798
Iu.Gob

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
When working in a "items" context

Can we please get a option for the item to open up in the notation editor at bar 1?

Regardless of what bar the item is at in the arrange view?

The default is perfect but it would be AWESOME to have the option when putting smaller parts and ideas together for later.
+1. Totally agree. It would be a very awesome option for notation editor. Regards.
Iu.Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #799
memyselfandus

Colored note heads! Yes! Very useful for Boomwhacker notation as well. A lot of schools use boomwhackers in music class.

http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/fina...musical-tubes/
Old 04-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #800
-R-

Default How do you hide keyswitch notes?

I'm just tryin'out the notation editor, I think it's going to be terrific.
However, what can you do if you use keyswitches? On the score it means random notes super high or super-low, which makes the editor unusable...

Is it possible to hide notes above or below a user-set treshold? If not, would dev' consider implementing it? Do you guys think it's a good idea? I think it's a must.
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote