Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Is a USB2 stick fast enough as HD?

I have an old pc laptop with a 4200rpm drive!

Could I use a 32gb usb2 stick plugged in and use that as my recording drive instead of a internal 4200rpm drive? Surely it must be a little better?

I probably could also put my reaper portable install on the stick too to make it truly portable.

I should point out that my internal drive is only 30gb too so a portable version usb2 stick would be a good alternative at 32Gb or even. 64Gb?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Jack Winter

Unfortunately due to how flash memory works and how file systems write to a drive, a normal USB stick will break if you try to record to it. You could use a real USB hard disk though, I have a Verbatim 256gb 1.8" drive that works very well to both carry reaper on as well as recording medium.

You could however record on the local hard disk, and then copy the files over to the USB stick afterwards.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
buckman

Great, so are these bus powered, small and portable and possibly 7200rpm? This would make them easily swappable between my computers..
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
BigFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Great, so are these bus powered, small and portable and possibly 7200rpm? This would make them easily swappable between my computers..
I record audio to an external USB hd which can be bus powered but prefers to use one of those dual USB leads which allows me to use a mains/USB power supply.

When I transfer to another PC the reaper project (usually USBed across) sometimes doesn't find the audio files straight away but when I point it to the first it finds the rest.
BigFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Mine is small and bus powered, but quite slow, I think 4800rpm, still enough for the 20 tracks I wanted to record when I bought it. There are however other much faster external usb drives...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Jcschild

actually the newer USB 3 sticks are very fast as fast as an internal HDD

Scott
ADK
Jcschild is offline   Reply With Quote