Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
JohnnyMcFly
Human being with feelings

Default AcmeBarGig Shred 1.5x Public Beta released

August 25, 2010, Shred 1.5x Public beta

NEW BETA TODAY!
Shred 1.5x42Rev9

New features and a lot of tone shaping.
You can now save your preset to the templates folder and when you want to create a new Preset, you can base it off your template

I added a bunch of new presets, and have rolled out the start of the Ambient Presets..
Lemme know your thoughts..Also now is the time to submit presets for the final build because there is not going to be another before release, unless something catastrophic happens.

Link to download and info...
http://www.acmebargig.com/forums/vie...hp?f=82&t=1142
KM

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 08-24-2010 at 11:14 PM.
JohnnyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Sigilus

nice!
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks man..Looking forward to your feedback..
KM
Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
JohnnyMcFly

Guys...
If the download you got has more than one file in the Rar then you have the wrong version. That was a version with some experimental stuff in it that did not work out. I have updated the download link to contain the right Shred version. There should be a single EXE in the Rar file..So, you'll have to go download again...

Sorry guys, I am a little tired I guess and not thinking as much as I should..
KM
Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
JonnyGinese

Re-downloaded it and did some more tests.

I still and experiencing the same issue..
If i have my interface set to 48000/24bit the amp sounds different in Reaper then if the interface is set to 44100/24bit. BUT when its all bounced down to 44.1khz/16 bit... they both sound the same. So if you are running a session at 48000/24 ou won't be getting true bounce down sound.

-edit... just saw the other post where you mentioned it lacked the code to make them sound the same. I sent and e-mail to the e-mail in your contacts.. it came from Jon.Ginese (at) Gmail (dot) com which is my e-mail in my contacts.

Last edited by JonnyGinese; 07-24-2010 at 11:53 AM.
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
JohnnyMcFly

AHH Ok thats my old email before we got AcmeBarGig.com

now its ken at acmebargig dot com

Thanks man for your input...At least all the heads in the version you now have, are really close to what they will sound like in the finished version..There will be a bunch of tweaks before then though. One notable exception is the clean sound in Quarter, For some reason that defaulted back to the original 1.06 settings, but they won't work with the new tonestack. It perfect opportunity for people to start to learn to tweak the tonestack...
>Customize Head>Define Tonestack>set the sliders. Actually slide the presence slider almost all the way back to the left...That is closer to what the Quarter clean sound is supposed to be..
km
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
brucie

Hey Ken,

I´m not able to load any presets...sure I´m missing something ?

Get yourself some sleep man
brucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
JohnnyMcFly

No this version does not have presets enabled, I am not sure when we're gonna turn them on, but we sort of wanted to prove out other areas of the app first...They will be enabled though...
KM
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
brucie

Right, thanks.

Should have read your post at acmebargig first...
brucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
Tedwood

I only tried this for half an hour or so and I'm getting some really good tones already. The big plus here Ken is the whole thing is less fierce and uncontrollable. This is what some of us were asking for long time ago. You have the Clean/Dirty button just right, whoever thought of that was a genius!

I won't go through all the heads right now, don't have the time, but I will say the Naus Filter makes for a whole lot of tonal/spacial dimension to the sound, just what I need.

As far as I am concerned you have done yourself proud. Nothing seems too extreme or unusable like some of the old stuff, yet all things seem to be available without working too hard.

Very acceptable cpu usage at about 5% on my ageing AMD x2 5600

One critique only, which you may take with a pinch of salt

Whichever head you are using, if you switch to the Vintage version, you are presented with what looks like a bit of Formica from an old 60's kitchen table slapped on the front of it. The only "vintage" amps I ever saw that looked like that were home made, by someone's dad.

I don't know why it needs to change at all, it's not like us old gitarists are fick or anyfing is it?

PS. Why not use the same panel images from the Modern amps for the Vintage amps, but with a distressed look?

Last edited by Tedwood; 07-25-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
JonnyGinese

This might be a dumb suggestion...

On your presets once they come out... have the first option in the signal chain be the selection of your guitar. So the modeler will sound how the creator intended. This is usually an issue with modelers i feel. The creator might have used a Strat... but the user might be using a Les Paul... or a Tele. If no additional presets are going to be created(because it would be a lot more work).. maybe letting us know what type of guitar you used when testing the presets.

Anyways... like i said.. that might be a dumb idea (i'm not a guitar player but i love the modeler)
Old 07-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks Ted, and just to let you know I have updated the public beta again today with External Cabinet loading enabled, All 67 internal cabinets are added and now categorized by Creator. Room modeling enabled for modeled cabs, and some other fixes...

Now, in terms of the awful looking "retro table" haha, Thats a temporary thing. I am waiting for vintage head skins from the awesome Manwelo, one of the skinners. The head skin will completely change when switching operating modes. It absolutely has to because for all intents, it is a completely different head and I want to make sure the user knows that. I don't want them to get the idea that we've changed a couple filter values and called it Vintage. The routing, components, filter values, component positioning, everything changes. To illustrate, Leave the customize head/define tonestack window open and select between vintage and modern, clean and dirty...you'll see the tonestack values change with each selection..

I am glad you like it, and if you get the chance, actually anyone who wants to contribute, feel free to make some presets and or heads, when we are on our final Public beta. You can sign the presets and even place a link to your website, or your email address on them, there is also a space for a description of the preset as well. I did this so that people would know who made the presets and optionally contact them, or go to their website..Of course the contact information is optional by the preset maker..

JonnyGinese
As I said above, there is a place in the preset save function that will allow you to describe the preset. So perhaps in this area one could place information about the guitar used when creating the preset..

Anyways, thanks guys for the info and please do checkout the new external cabs. I may have run into an error with them, so the more info I get the easier it will be to fix it...That's of course only if you have time..
KM
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Wilkesin

Couple of suggestions:

-Still not sure why all your plugs load with all the gain/EQ/volume knobs maxed out or turned to some wacky value. On top of sounding bad someone is really going to blow up some equipment one day!

-Would be nice to be able to minimize the FX and cab sections. Could you put a little arrow in the corner of them for one click max/min?

-It runs about 34% CPU usage on my P4 2.00 Ghz 1 gig RAM Win XP which is borderline unusable so take my comments with the tiniest grain of salt.

Thanks for all the work you do for free! Would still love to see the preampus heads get refined one day or at least have the knobs defaulted to middle values when you first open them...
Wilkesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
JohnnyMcFly

Yeah that laziness on my part as thats the position they were last in when I compiled...Thanks for the reminder..34% Man Thats good for that machine. But you should be able to get it to run at around 20-25(maybe less) by using the modeled cabs. When you render, use the IR Cabs.

I will be doing preampus right after Shred 2's release...All heads get ALL their fixes and version 2 will be built with a bunch of new characters to add to the lineup. Pinhead, MoronHead, LettuceHead, MoHead, and my fave...Icky Stupid head..

KM
Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
EvilDragon

Would be awesome if Shred 2 would come with Preampus heads preloaded - all your stuff in one DLL!
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
JonnyGinese

oh.. and i just noticed that when I installed 1.5b it got id of my 1.06... hmm
Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
JohnnyMcFly

Jonny
Really? It should not have done that. But, the same file structure is used in both.

Evil dragon
No Preampus will be a separate animal..

KM
Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #18
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcFly View Post
No Preampus will be a separate animal..
Aw shoot
Old 07-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #19
JohnnyMcFly

Yeah we have some pretty specific plans for that one..
KM
Old 07-26-2010, 03:25 AM   #20
EvilDragon

Well, ok!

I thought it wouldn't be bad to have one "powerhouse" VST which has it all in
Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #21
sightlessness

Does this have 64 bits support? Or it's only 32 bits? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
JohnnyMcFly

32 bits....but look at the bright side, that 2 times more than 16 bit..haha
KM
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
Third Son

Default Hey Hey Hey

This is really nice Ken...I do miss those presets though :-)

Paul
Third Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
JonnyGinese

questions about the Preampus plugins... you have your cab simulator that goes with them, but would i be crazy to use them into just some chorus/reverb sends?

What was there original design intended for? re-amp to a real cab, cab sim, etc?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
JohnnyMcFly

They were an experimental approach to mixing and matching different components with different heads. We can all see the progression from the Preampus line as its technology is built into Shred's Customize head(FrankenAMP). They were intended to be used with a Cabinet sim...Or the Cabinet enhancer.

Thanks Third son, we are almost ready to release the preset enabled beta. We just want to make sure we have all the other functionality running before we introduce that. We learned from our last round of public betas in that this is very much step oriented. Each release will enable a little more functionality. Last time we just made it and released it. That approach had 2 main negatives. 1) As a result of the number of options available, people did not get the chance to explore them all, they were all just "there". This did not provide us any real useable feedback on them. Hence when release came, there was unseen flaws.
2) When a flaw was reported, we could not easily pinpoint its origins...

So, we decided at an early stage in development we were going to roll out the options one at a time. Truth be told, all the preset functionality is already there and working, we just have not enabled it yet. This is kind of a PITA approach, and it is not intended to piss anyone off, we just want to make sure that all functions in any and all areas are working correct.

Thanks guys for all your feedback, good or bad. This is after all not built for us, it is built for everyone. We hope it will become a true option for those who cannot afford, for whatever reason, a commercial sim.

So, next on the list after the current beta fixes is going to be custom head saving. So, you make your changes in the customize head options and save it as a head. The head can then be loaded like any other head. This is different than presets, although the same code base is at play.

The obvious question that people were asking is, why do I need to save a head, why not just save a preset. Well, say for example you have effects saved that you really like, and you had a custom head made that you also like. What this does is allow you to take the head and apply it to any preset. It functions exactly the same as loading an internal ABG head, but it is your own design.

KM
Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #26
JohnnyMcFly

New beta is out: July 28, 2010 Version 1.5x39REV2.
I also took the time to record the new
Honken Vintage Clean
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/923791/Shred...ntageClean.mp3

Thanks for your help guys
KM
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 AM   #27
sightlessness

What are the settings for that Honken mp3?

What guitar are u using?

What pickup are you using?

Don't mean to disrespectful, the sound is VERY nice, but get a tuner man!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #28
JohnnyMcFly

Its my intonation..I really need to get that fixed..
Guitar is my old Samick Ultramatic
Pickup was in the neck position and is a Duncan Designed stock PU..
EDIT: Oops it was in the bridge position...sorry

So all I did was used the Default Chorus setting, The Dig Delay, I think I adjusted the feedback and made sure that both wet volumes were the same.
Loaded Honken, Clicked Clean and adjusted the knobs to taste. Oh and I added the Compressor stomp, I think with default settings..

Thats it..
KM

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 07-28-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #29
Third Son

Default Thanks Ken

Here is a Backing Track I did using some clean settings on the new Shred

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9455458

I also used the bass setting from the older version of Shred
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #30
outspoken

Wow great tone but that intonation makes me dizzy a little

Quote:
Its my intonation..I really need to get that fixed..
Guitar is my old Samick Ultramatic
Pickup was in the neck position and is a Duncan Designed stock PU..

So all I did was used the Default Chorus setting, The Dig Delay, I think I adjusted the feedback and made sure that both wet volumes were the same.
Loaded Honken, Clicked Clean and adjusted the knobs to taste. Oh and I added the Compressor stomp, I think with default settings..

Thats it..
KM
Old 07-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #31
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks Third son..so that was the latest beta of Shred on the guitar tracks?

Outspoken..haha LOL your should try being me for 22 hours a day saying to myself at least 100 times, damn I gotta get that intonation fixed. A couple times I got up and said...THATS IT! I am not doing any more till that intonation is right..Ima find me my damn allen keys and do it myself...Only to sit back down and say where are the allen keys!

haha
KM
Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #32
Third Son

Default Yep....

Ken,

I have done quite a few tracks using Shred but this was the first clean one with the new version....
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #33
JohnnyMcFly

Cool third son!!!

I just found out Shred was used on the title track for SWAT TV as well..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJJl...eature=related

Thats so cool when you actually hear people using your stuff..Makes it all worthwhile..
km

Last edited by JohnnyMcFly; 07-29-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 AM   #34
keys

Hi Ken, Fantastic! Just had a very quick play with Rev2 and got some truly great sounds. as Ted said - its a more tamed beast - very well done, thanks for your work.
I'm getting about 6-8% CPU with my Intel Core 2 6300 (1.9GHz), MUCH better than V1.0!
Keys.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #35
JohnnyMcFly

Thanks Keys...I am really glad that we made the change to the tonestack. We did that really late in the game though. We were about 2 days from Public beta and ended up re-writing almost the whole thing as a result, but I think it was worth it...

Something I'm curious of..Does anyone still find the higher frequencies a little brittle? That had been reported through each of these releases...
KM
Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #36
mse

Quote:
Something I'm curious of..Does anyone still find the higher frequencies a little brittle? That had been reported through each of these releases...
KM
Yep! Especially for crunchy type sound.
mse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #37
JohnnyMcFly

mse
I am gonna roll them back a little more, You have the current build right 1.5X39REV2. Just to be sure..
km
Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #38
kindafishy

Ken, broken record here. Did you get a chance to do much work or testing around rendering and latency reporting and compensation? I would normally offer to do some testing in this area, but I unfortunately don't have the bandwidth to do that right now. Just wondering if you looked at it.

Thanks dude... and I can't wait to use this once I get a chance to get back into some recording.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #39
BenK-msx

hey JmF
had a play with rev2 this eve, pretty cool - will just note some quick observations for you to dismiss as madness...:

quarter seems more thin/brittle sounding, compared to what i expected from 1.6, if that means anything. i used to like it, but have 'skipped' past it as it wasn't an immediately nice tone if you follow - user error quite likely..

i'm finding the room adjust to be pretty subtle am sure it was more distinct 'before' - sometimes i think it isn't working but its v.cool feature that allows you to 'sit' a part nicely!

i notice the range master has gone as has redshift at the start of amp - i liked that as it makes crappy guitars such as mine sound that bit better at source - will it reappear?

the stomps - i know you're still tweaking, but i note they mute output briefly on activation, understandable but if you were to do that 'live' it would not sound so good, just a thought.

with the range of options with clean, dirty, the two other options and high gain or vintage, one head can do alot so cool sounds are not far away, and this revision seems the most solid tho i had a couple of redraw odd moments, but behaved well.

have you considered a saturation /tape type effect at the output as i feel they help smooth the digital brittleness a touch
you no doubt have as i am a guitar numpty - but just something i do to help with that eternal soft-amp problem!

great stuff, seems you've put an insane amount of work into it, sure it will pay off - taa
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #40
tpulse

is there an option to use 3party impulse files on cabinet section in shred? would be damn great if it's possible...
tpulse is offline   Reply With Quote