PhoenixDogstar
Human being with feelings

Default Crackling Noise

Windows 7
Reaper 32bit
ASIO4ALL
No dedicated soundcard
IDT HD Audio Codec - Intel Display Audio
(uncertain if there are other important factors, let me know and I'll fill you in).

Hi,

I've just started using reaper and I'm having a crackling noise in the background of one of my tracks. I'm using DSK's Overture VST. I have dozens of DSK's VSTs and having no problems with them. Since I'm so new at this, I was thinking maybe there is something simple that I'm just not aware of.

Here's a link to a mp3 recording of the track. The crackling is just in the background, so you may need to turn up the volume a little.

http://phoenixdeviantart.wordpress.c...1/12/09/reaper

Thanks for any advice. It's greatly appreciated.
PhoenixDogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Fabian

Your built-in audio card is not really made to stream low-latency, crackle-free audio. You probably need to increase the ASIO buffer size. What ASIO buffer size(== latency) do you run at now?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
PhoenixDogstar

512 Samples.

I did try turning the buffer size up. Even at the max of 2048 the crackling is still the same. No improvement at all.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
PhoenixDogstar

Default Problem Fixed

So I figured out what problem was causing the crackling noise. I'll just make a quick summary in case someone searches the forum for the same issue.

- Thinking that my laptop sound gear was insufficient to make quality music, I purchased a usb sound card, but the crackle continued. Which was actually good news for me.

- I went back and reviewed the VST that was giving me the problem. It had five sounds stacked together (simulates an orchestra). After going through the layers and muting layer by layer, I found the layer that was giving me the crackling. In the end I just needed to adjust the release to removing the crackling.

So, that simple. : )