COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 03:12 AM   #1
QB_
Human being with feelings

Default Running Ninjam Server (on GCloud for now)

Hello, Thanks admin for the approval.

Newb to this.

I've installed Ninjam Server on a free Google Cloud virtual machine (which by the way is not too tricky, (create account -> create project -> create vm instance -> add an ssh public key so as to be able to access it -> oh and add firewall rule so 0.0.0.0/0 is allowed to connect to tcp 2049 otherwise you'll never be able to connect to ninjam -> follow install instructions on cockos server-guide page for linux to clone repository from git and make)

After figuring out the firewall thing and magically getting in, the first time it worked (in Jamtaba), it just automatically started playing the metronome and seemed to work as intended. I went to sleep. Woke up this morning. And connecting today, it doesn't quite work - it connects, the welcome message is correct, but not all config details seem to make it, BPI is always 8 even tho I configured 4, BPM is always 40. Transmission stays saying "preparing", and it doesn't actually play, so for example the jamtaba looper would always unchangingly say "wait (1)".

Any ideas what could have gone wrong overnight? Is this likely a server thing or a client thing? What's the best way to troubleshoot such things?

Hopefully someone has an answer? Happy to edit this afterwards into something of use FAQ wise

Thanks!
QB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
QB_

Default Fixed but without understanding difference

I do not know why it now works - after an afternoon of ignoring it and watching football, I came back, stopped and restarted the Google Cloud VM, figured I would try ReaNinJam, which worked, so I went back to Jamtaba to confirm the difference, and now Jamtaba works again also. At this point I do not know what was wrong before.

At end of month I will probably switch to a paid VPS - if anyone has recommendtions that would be great - I am considering https://greenhost.net/products/vps/ - mighty cheap, supposedly ethical.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
QB_

Default Back to not working, in Jamtaba

Just like that, today I have my original problem back seemingly for no obvious reason, in Jamtaba. I suppose I will head over to Github and raise an issue with them as ReaNinJam is working (I think)