Old 04-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #41
SaulT
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 765
Default

I get that change for the sake of change is not ideal. Sure, people want to differentiate their products, I get that, and it's not always ideal for the user to have to relearn terminology.

That said... sometimes the old ways aren't the best ways, and sometimes the only way to find what resonates with people and offers an actual improvement is to simply try something new. The term "bookmark" is more accurate to me than "favorites", for instance, and I'm okay with that, I'll adapt.

Speaking specifically about DAWs, why would I want Reaper to copy Pro Tools? Why should a company cater to the customer base who could potentially transition from another DAW if the bulk of its user base isn't?

A program would have to be spectacularly intuitive to enable a smooth transition from 20 years' experience in Pro Tools.... or slavishly imitative. No thanks, we don't need a Pro Tools clone, and I for one don't think that Pro Tools should be the gold standard against which all other DAWs are judged. "Intuitiveness" is often a synonym for "Keep It Simple", and that's at direct odds to the purpose of a DAW that wants to provide plenty of options and powerful tools at its disposal.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #42
bluzkat
Human being with feelings
 
bluzkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
No thanks, we don't need a Pro Tools clone, and I for one don't think that Pro Tools should be the gold standard against which all other DAWs are judged.
Amen, brother!!


__________________
Peace...
bluzkat
bluzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:55 AM   #43
huberkinky
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
huberkinky:
The bit you are completely missing (or pretending to) is that YES all DAW software does things in slightly different fashion to all the others.
As is the case with pretty much every other type of software.

What you are proposing in your whine is that ALL software be standardised to adhere to just one way of doing things, so you "only have to learn one set of commands"

Are you really so stupid that you cant see how totally illogical that would be?
I have never said anything you are talking about. That's why you didn't quoted me.

So... why you are calling me stupid? Who wrote that nonsense? You or me?

In case of cars, that's brilliant comparison and to prove it. All cars have wheels, steering wheels, wipers, bumpers, tyres and what is the most important, if you know how to drive, you can drive 95% of them.

And they are so different as well, so different engines, diffs, transmissions, GPS's and huge difference between the most expensive and cheapest.

But the good news is - we can drive them all without any learning at all.

Of course Ferrari with super hot engine is not for every one and needs to be learned.

If s/ware developer would have the same attitude, the world of computers would be very enjoyable.

Unfortunately is not, as I have pointed in case MS different versions of Windows.

But they have stuffed up card as well. Unfortunately.

Some cars have steering wheel on right side and some have on left side.

How stupid is that? Half of the planet is driving left side of the road, other half, drive opposite.

No wonder alies don't want to talk to us, because we are so stupid!

Quote:
Speaking specifically about DAWs, why would I want Reaper to copy Pro Tools?
Reaper is copying a lot! Tracks going from left to right, as PTools. Calling them tracks, as in Ptools, inserting plugins and sends to aux and Master Track and... hundreds of other thing, which were developed by AVID. LOGIC or Cubase many years ago.

It's not a shame at all.

I had my rant and no one has pointed to any flaws in my way of thinking.

Most showed no thinking abilities at all, being often very vulgar and very unprofessional.

Continue, please but without me! I will not waste my more time in this subject and I don't want to get into such low level of courtesy, lack of any kindness and being full of nonsensical hatred without any reason whatsoever.

Shame for most of you! ;(
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 AM   #44
j79
Human being with feelings
 
j79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Göteborg
Posts: 1,322
Default

I agree that the OP's need for standards is way over the top for my taste..but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
What's with the f-ing near cyber bullying around here lately? Give it a rest ffs.
j79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:23 AM   #45
nicholas
Human being with feelings
 
nicholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Van Diemen's Land
Posts: 9,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
Reaper is copying a lot! Tracks going from left to right, as PTools. Calling them tracks, as in Ptools, ... sends to aux and Master Track and... hundreds of other thing, which were developed by AVID. LOGIC or Cubase many years ago.
I beg to differ. This is not copying any other DAW paradigm, but attempting to reproduce within a digital environment the standard layout of (and using the same terminology as) a (pre digital) analog hardware recording desk. That's not the same.
__________________
Learning Manuals and Reaper Books
REAPER Unleashed - ReaMix - REAPER User Guide
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/glazfolk
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #46
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,798
Default

Okay - can I nominate this thread for a swift move to the lounge?
We are all arguing absurdities and I for one find the whole damn thread laughable.
Wishing I had paid more attention in the beginning and never got sucked into it.

File under "how many angels can fit on the end of a pin?"
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #47
Tommy V
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York USA
Posts: 267
Default

Taking a momentary vacation from the twisted reality of huberkinky, I recall (somewhat) my first *DAW*, which was actually an *AAW* (analog tape recorder) ... and my oh my was I in awe of that AAW !!!

It was a 1970 Teac A-1200, with Sound-on-Sound syncing from the playback/recording head back into ... well ... the playback/recording head !!!
Amazing stuff for a neophyte at the time

The reels moved from left to right, the meters jumped and danced to the rhythm, sometimes they pinned a bit (I was a novice at the time, of course ... then I got a Tascam 244, beautiful machine as it were ... the cassette reels still moved from left to right, but now there were 4 (count 'em FOUR!) discrete tracks to create my masterpieces on .. and I could bounce 'em down to one track (or two if stereo) if more tracks were needed.

When I got into digital, only recently btw, Reaper was the only software which replicated the workflow of analog tape that I was used to ... input source, set levels, insert FX as needed, then just hit 'record' and be done with it.

Mixing was easy as pie for me ... although the concepts of mixing isn't about preset automated 'fixing', but about understanding the physics of audio ... and woe it's taken me YEARS to get a grasp on that aspect, and I still have so much more to learn !!!

All in all, Reaper is my main recording & mixing tool ... have tried Cubase, Pro-Tools, FL Studio, Sonar, and a few others .. but for straightforward recording, editing, and mixing like the He-Men of yore did back in the day, Reaper just fits the bill for me.

Your mileage may vary, of course ......



Tommy V
__________________
"You Can Observe A Lot Just By Watching"
~ Yogi Berra ~

Last edited by Tommy V; 04-29-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Tommy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #48
edkilp
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy V View Post

When I got into digital, only recently btw, Reaper was the only software which replicated the workflow of analog tape that I was used to ... input source, set levels, insert FX as needed, then just hit 'record' and be done with it.

Mixing was easy as pie for me ... although the concepts of mixing isn't about preset automated 'fixing', but about understanding the physics of audio ... and woe it's taken me YEARS to get a grasp on that aspect, and I still have so much more to learn !!!

All in all, Reaper is my main recording & mixing tool ... have tried Cubase, Pro-Tools, FL Studio, Sonar, and a few others .. but for straightforward recording, editing, and mixing like the He-Men of yore did back in the day, Reaper just fits the bill for me.

Your mileage may vary, of course ......



Tommy V
I started with 2 tape recorders from Sears. Playing into one, playing that into the other while recording the next part. You can imagine what a sonic mess that was after a few passes back and forth. I then graduated to the wonderful world of the Tascam PortaStudio, then a Peavey-made ARM 4-track deck with a 6-channel mixer. Whoa!I made a lot of music with that setup, and when I got an Alesis HR-16 drum machine, the world was mine to conquer!

Of course, digital is easier, more convenient, and just all around more pleasant to work with. However, Reaper is definitely not the only software that replicates the behavior of an analog tape machine. I've also used N-Track, Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, Cool Edit Pro, Audacity, and every one of them allows you to quickly and easily "input source, set levels, insert FX as needed, then just hit 'record' and be done with it."

We all want to believe that we have and utilize the best of everything, but the fact is, if you're creative and have some knowledge, along with a relatively decent set of ears, you can get very good results regardless of the software you choose to do it in.

I agree that threads like this are pointless, full of nothing but opinions and preferences, and when you look back at what some of the greatest producers and engineers had to go through to produce the records we still listen to today, we should be ashamed of ourselves! Hahaha. Copy and paste meant cutting, splicing, bouncing then rinse and repeat.

We have so many choices, if not too many. Every program has it's little quirks and subtle differences. I think we've beat to death the notion that you can get better sound with one or the other (you can't), so just pick one, learn it inside and out, and forget all the other stuff. Make your music with Reaper or whatever your weapon of choice may be, and stop worrying that you might be missing out on something better. If you get good recordings that make you happy, why mess with anything else?

Standards in DAW software isn't gonna happen to the degree that some people would like to see. So learn yours and move on with your life. The beautiful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from! lol
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #49
NowoTone
Human being with feelings
 
NowoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
Reaper is copying a lot! Tracks going from left to right, as PTools. Calling them tracks, as in Ptools, inserting plugins and sends to aux and Master Track and... hundreds of other thing, which were developed by AVID. LOGIC or Cubase many years ago.
Sorry, but these things weren't invented by these companies. We (or at least the western world) read from left to right, so all kinds of information that is presented sequentially normally also follow this pattern. Tracks, inserting FX, sends, aux channels master tracks, all these are concepts from the analogue recording world, not invented by the Avid or any other DAW company.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the irony:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
Most showed no thinking abilities at all [...] I don't want to get into such low level of courtesy, lack of any kindness and being full of nonsensical hatred without any reason whatsoever.

Shame for most of you! ;(
__________________
New album made with Reaper out on Bandcamp: Ancient Gems, also an EP with acoustic versions of some of these songs: Ancient Gems - Acoustic
Electronica made with Reaper: Dark Matter - Follow me on Twitter
NowoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #50
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,397
Default

Quote:
Speaking specifically about DAWs, why would I want Reaper to copy Pro Tools?
Because no matter how often some like to pretend otherwise, PT certainly does have some design bits worth emulating.

One common reaction when you mention one of those things is to suggest that the person who mentioned them is suggesting Reaper should be exactly like PT, which is a straw man diversion... when most of the time people only point out what PT does better, like you see all across the FR's forums, things that are actually designed better in some areas.

It doesn't mean Reaper sucks. It only means that X or Y part could take a design lesson from X or Y product. We commonly point out those things where a part of Reaper is a better design, but tend to flinch when the shoe is on the other foot.
__________________
"I, Bozo The Clown, do solemly swear to uphold the Consti.. consti... uh, how do you pronounce that again?".
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #51
Lazarus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowoTone View Post
Sorry, but these things weren't invented by these companies. We (or at least the western world) read from left to right, so all kinds of information that is presented sequentially normally also follow this pattern. Tracks, inserting FX, sends, aux channels master tracks, all these are concepts from the analogue recording world, not invented by the Avid or any other DAW company.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the irony:

I'm almost certain you are not joking, which is a shame. Perhaps you felt enabled to get a kick in to the now deeply offended OP by nicholas's response - which itself was not accurate.

There are a bazillion ways of implementing an analogue signal/workflow on a screen, yet left to right linear has emerged as a dominant design amongst many others. With lots of details like TCP on left side with rec-arm buttons, meters etc that developers have seen and taken inspiration from. Any argument that suggests otherwise is a non-starter since all we have to do is look at the history of all sequencing apps.

There's evolutionary development happening, and individual companies/devs can take credit for their inventions/contributions along the way. In a purely intellectual sense of course - not in a way that makes lawyers all frothy mouthed or fan-boys all nervous.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #52
SaulT
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Because no matter how often some like to pretend otherwise, PT certainly does have some design bits worth emulating.

One common reaction when you mention one of those things is to suggest that the person who mentioned them is suggesting Reaper should be exactly like PT, which is a straw man diversion...
Except that if you go back to the beginning of the rant, that's exactly what he says - that he's been doing Pro Tools for 20+ years, and that it would make his life a lot easier (and presumably everyone elses) if they would just copy how Pro Tools/Logic/blah blah blah does it.

I can see why OP thinks that it would be well-meaning, but it comes across as more than a little self-centered.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #53
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,397
Default

True. But it you read back you'll notice that my comment had nothing to do with the OP. It answered one specific question...

Quote:
Speaking specifically about DAWs, why would I want Reaper to copy Pro Tools?
... because like all other products, it has some things worth copying. I could list some of those things but it would only devolve into something else. If anyone really believes all of the best design and feature ideas only come from one place, or one development team, I would politely disagree with that and suggest they all copy each other pretty regularly.

IIRC, there was a long period here where the focus was on exactly that, copying some things from PT like trim behind editing.
__________________
"I, Bozo The Clown, do solemly swear to uphold the Consti.. consti... uh, how do you pronounce that again?".

Last edited by Lawrence; 05-01-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #54
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,330
Default

If I showed up to a gig and my analog board or my DAW was RTL, I'd turn around and go home, never giving thought to why it was so f'd up LOL. Hasn't a thing to do with copying DAWs kiddies it's called logical sense. It isn't copying someone else to realize wheels roll better than squares, it's just well, obvious.

This is truly a spinal tap thread; enjoy.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #55
whiteaxxxe
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States of Europe, Germany, Mönchengladbach
Posts: 2,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
...

This is truly a spinal tap thread; enjoy.


well, then lets take it to 11 ... err ... in digital domain speaking: lets put some 2s among the 0s and 1s.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #56
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If I showed up to a gig and my analog board or my DAW was RTL, I'd turn around and go home, never giving thought to why it was so f'd up LOL. Hasn't a thing to do with copying DAWs kiddies it's called logical sense. It isn't copying someone else to realize wheels roll better than squares, it's just well, obvious.

This is truly a spinal tap thread; enjoy.
True. But it ends up being exactly that because developers like Justin who was using Vegas previously wasn't aware of some other functionality from PT and other places so users had to tell him about those things, otherwise none of it wouldn't be in Reaper.

They all copy each other to some extent. No idea why the idea of copying good ideas is troubling to anyone. Imo, its really bad to create something worse just to be unique than to mostly copy something better (as relates to smaller bits of a larger application).
__________________
"I, Bozo The Clown, do solemly swear to uphold the Consti.. consti... uh, how do you pronounce that again?".
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #57
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,330
Default

Quote:
True. But it ends up being exactly that because developers like Justin who was using Vegas previously wasn't aware of some other functionality from PT and other places so users had to tell him about those things, otherwise none of it wouldn't be in Reaper.
I'm specifically speaking of tracks etc. being arranged left to right or top to bottom. Anyone thinking that is a DAW or software specific copying is again, in spinal tap land since it it was in other everyday life stuff before recording ever existed and consoles and audio apps before PT ever existed.



I'm not sure we are properly taking into account the number of things that make sense regardless of who was there first. Wheels aren't round because we owe some genius credit, they are round because they work better than square ones; and my response wasn't in response to yours.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-01-2015 at 10:35 AM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #58
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post


well, then lets take it to 11 ... err ... in digital domain speaking: lets put some 2s among the 0s and 1s.
My first fuzz face that I built a couple years ago... It goes to 11 by design.
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #59
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
My first fuzz face that I built a couple years ago... It goes to 11 by design.
Many Soldano amps go to 11 as well.

__________________
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #60
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Many Soldano amps go to 11 as well.
Mine is before I started making them pretty (1st or 2nd pedal I ever made), the paint scratched off so I renamed it Spinal Fuzz and made it go to 11. It's sitting here in my studio floor because it sounds so good regardless of its looks, I still use it:

__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #61
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,549
Default

Since you have so many of those Karbo, I'll let you de-clutter a little by sending me one or two.....
__________________
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #62
Lazarus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm specifically speaking of tracks etc. being arranged left to right or top to bottom.
I think we are all in agreement that diagonal isn't optimal.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #63
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 24,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I think we are all in agreement that diagonal isn't optimal.
Runs off to lab...
__________________
If it requires a null test to find it, it is by definition minuscule.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #64
NowoTone
Human being with feelings
 
NowoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I'm almost certain you are not joking, which is a shame. Perhaps you felt enabled to get a kick in to the now deeply offended OP by nicholas's response - which itself was not accurate.
I don't post to get kicks out of anything I write - I actually have a life that affords me all the kicks I need. I'm might be offended at your suggestion, but since this is the internet and you don't actually know me, I'm not .

But what I don't understand is that you tell me you hope I'm joking, and then sort of confirm what I'm saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
There are a bazillion ways of implementing an analogue signal/workflow on a screen, yet left to right linear has emerged as a dominant design amongst many others.
That is exactly what I'm saying plus I gave a reason why this is. And I would like to add that I do actually know of what I'm speaking in this case.

There might be other times where this might not be the case
__________________
New album made with Reaper out on Bandcamp: Ancient Gems, also an EP with acoustic versions of some of these songs: Ancient Gems - Acoustic
Electronica made with Reaper: Dark Matter - Follow me on Twitter
NowoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #65
Lawrence
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm specifically speaking of tracks etc. being arranged left to right or top to bottom.
Ah, gotcha'. My comments had nothing to do with that.
__________________
"I, Bozo The Clown, do solemly swear to uphold the Consti.. consti... uh, how do you pronounce that again?".
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #66
huberkinky
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 133
Default

I thought I will give up on the subject just for many very unpleasant characters typing here, and writing anything here is a waste of time. Perhaps...

Found great subject - a disease - about wasting time on mixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcT6kb3IJ7E

My comment there...

I've found almost the same thing, but I'm dealing with it in a slightly different way. I was buying few plugins and I don't use them! Why? I don't know how and they are to complicated to use. Take so much time to do anything, that I'll loose all objectivity in 0.5 hrs. So I got an idea using only plugins I know how to use and I'm able to get good results from them. So every time I d/l a demo, the goal is - use for 30 minutes and If I can beat my current plugin, than I would buy the new one and use INSTEAD. Any more than that is just Fuckarounditis. Great name! Great tutorials, great guy!

I think that would apply here as well.

Now I use everything like that - no more wasting of precious time.

D/load plugins - will get better results, go for it.

Exactly the same idea applying to DAW's.

D/loaded Fruityloops. Took me 10 minutes to gave up.

Not for me.

Lately I wanted record some vocal tracks in Reaper. Put a microphone and singer on front of it, she complains that she hear a chorus in headphones.

Made a research - latency. Change many options and still the same.

My best reverb was an guilty one.

Muted, put some free reverb with small load on CPU - works like a charm. But I have wasted several hours of frustration and what

I have learned ANYTHING from it? Absolutely nothing.

As I wrote in different threadt - one well designed template would eliminate many this type of problems.

Unfortunately there are - Ptools, Logic, Cubase - all of them many years of work and researching for being the best DAW ever.

I would put PTools as 1, than Logic 2 and Cubase last - Cubase have the same amount of time and they never caught up with these two. IMHO.

I was using Bard and Pipes - nightmare, than Cubase (1993) than Logic and PTools 1995.

Reaper - hmmm... is against those three and has a great potential.

The question is - will ever catch up with those three?

Cubase IMHO didn't but is still a great DAW.

And despite some opinions here, on YTube is an opinion, that Reaper is not easy to start with. Read it so many times.

Lately a guy show that recording is easy. Found searching for solution. But he never tried with monitoring vocals with reverb and delay.

With so many DAW's available, many will try just that. D/load for demo, spent up to 1 hour and compare with others.

Unfortunately there is PTools and Logic - both a masters of DAW's.

They have polishing they products for many. many years and the feedback was given to them by the best sound engineers on this planet!


Yes! Some things can be done still different and better way.

But there is no way to reinvent the wheel - especially if exactly the same task can be done in much easier way.

Democracy does not work, because most people are stupid. And wise ones are always outnumbered! That's why democracy is falling apart!

Now you have my permission to call me names!
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:30 AM   #67
whiteaxxxe
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States of Europe, Germany, Mönchengladbach
Posts: 2,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
...

I have learned ANYTHING from it? Absolutely nothing.

...
I think that is the problem.

goodbye!
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 AM   #68
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,798
Default

Oops! Gee thanks, Proboards! (or whatever this is)

Last edited by ivansc; 06-02-2015 at 08:33 AM.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:49 AM   #69
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,798
Default

Bard and Pipes!

The Shakespearian version of Bars N Pipes presumably?

Deleted my other comments as irrelevant.
OP why are you using a DAW?

Everything you have said here tells me you would be far better off using the modern equivalent of a cassette multitracker.
I used to use a pair of Fostex D90s and a big old A&H analogue desk before moving to ITB. Admittedly I WAS synching it all to my Amiga running Bars N Pipes Pro but it is still the easiest recording setup I ever used.

Plenty of solid, basic hard disk recorders still out there and most at bargain prices.
And you would never have to download another plugin and agonise over keeping it or not.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #70
whiteaxxxe
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States of Europe, Germany, Mönchengladbach
Posts: 2,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
...

Unfortunately there is a well-known category of people who I classify as "not knowing enough to know they dont know anything!
Very common in middle management of large corporations.
no, thats not the problem. that is the qualification to get the job. because the same kind of people give the jobs.

(the decision-makers are the ones with the least amount of knowledge. thats a really good working construction ... these ones decide who fits the job.)

well, you cant fight stupidity, because everyone considers to be not stupid. so you have noone to fight.

sigh ... on the other hand: who cares? in this case here.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #71
huberkinky
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
I think that is the problem.

goodbye!
Don't be upset dude, but you just expressing your opinion, which everyone has.

Just checked your skills on Reaper... MP3-NetLabel.de

Hmmm... that's in your opinion and highly advanced usage of a DAW!?

We should care about your opinion?

It sounds like recorded on iPhone4.

What you have learned?

ivancs

Bard and Pipes!

The Shakespearian version of Bars N Pipes presumably?


That was worst MIDI program I've ever used - only for few weeks and switching to Cubase was an experience.

....................................

Recently I wanted narrow stereo width on (of course) stereo track.

After some research I have found that pressing RMB on the knob I can achieve that. Wow... that was a discovery!

Again in PT is on the track. On mixers is there without RMB as well!

The most annoying 'feature' was LMB when song was played, any time I wanted select something, the song stop playing and a cursor was changed to position, where I have clicked.

But I didn't want to stop playing at all. For that purpose is SPACE! So it took me a while to find mouse modifiers and fix that crazy behavior.

But I wasted a several hours to find a fix. What benefit form such feature?

IN PTool - yes - they are the best, but crashing and very, very expensive. But I'm able to listen to the song and select some parts, shorten or move or do anything I wanted without stopping the song, because for this purpose I have SPACE bar!

Now MY Reaper works almost the way I wanted. I can do some serious mixes. And I love it!

Because I love it in most parts, that's why I'm giving some points and unfortunately most don't understand.

Reaper is great in many, many ways. Solid as a rock and has many options. Unfortunately start in Reaper is not easy, but there are few simple way to improve the first few hours of new user from any other DAW.

Aim is to make it better, not to spit on great product. And that's my goal. Help myself and others. Not to sit on my bum and be just happy without any reason.

I'm not a 'YES' man, loving every possible s""t. ;D
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #72
Faderjockey
Human being with feelings
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 825
Default

Some may find it hard.. They are idiots!!!! I don't agree with the OP

I was on Pro Tools in my commercial studio for more then 10yrs then Cubase for more then 4yrs.. I switched with little to no grief to Reaper..

My asst for many of those yrs was on pro tools then nuendo and then Reaper.. He started to actually turn out better work once he was in Reaper.

another studio owner buddy.. I turned Reaper on to.. Left Pro Tools just last year. has been on Reaper working and he loves it.

I have a client/band that I've tracked and mixed for many years..who started doing their own tracking for me to mix. They switched from Cubase to Reaper.. At first the main guy wasn't sure..after one weekend they loved it and have done many projects now.. I actually haven't found in my circle of people who have tried it have any problems. The yguys who do decide they are tired of PT shit or Steinberg shit.. love Reaper now.
__________________
www.barberelectronics.com
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #73
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings
 
foxAsteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 6,708
Default

It's funny that all of your complaints about Reaper...are exactly what led me to choose Reaper. Yes the defaults suck...but who the hell is using those?!
__________________
Myy Wyyrd Muzyyk
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #74
brainwreck
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,787
Default

I use .txt files for bookmarks. I always have a text editor open any way, and I prefer saving bookmarks within some sort of context of a subject, rather than an isolated url and tag. And it makes more sense for me to find things within my notes with 'findstr /ims <some-string> *.txt' than it is searching for a tag.

On software...in a perfect world, software interfaces would reuse familiar conventions that make good sense and are efficient enough. Ever tried Gimp? Uggghhh.
__________________
It's time to take a stand against the synthesizer.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #75
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,798
Default

O.P. You seem to have changed your tune considerably from the original rant.

And what you DO seem to be overlooking is that almost everything you are criticising comes down to your ability or lack thereof to adapt to different software.

I and many others found Bars n Pipes Pro to be just about the best, most intuitive MIDI sequencer out there at the time. It STILL turns rings round every other MIDI sequencer I have ever used, including Cubase.

But there again I am sufficiently detached to accept that not everyone has the same degree of objectivity when evaluating software.

Hilariously, you have typed yourself into an inescapable corner with all those "well I couldn't learn it" comments.

But your somewhat ham-fisted attempts to wriggle out are at least entertaining.

(grabs popcorn and eases back in the La- Z - Boy.)
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #76
huberkinky
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 133
Default

foxAsteria

Yes the defaults suck...but who the hell is using those?!


Thank you. Everybody using them, because they are... defaults.

brainwreck

On software...in a perfect world, software interfaces would reuse familiar conventions that make good sense and are efficient enough. Ever tried Gimp? Uggghhh.

That's exactly what I mean. After using Photoshop is almost impossible to use Gimp.

ivansc

And what you DO seem to be overlooking is that almost everything you are criticising comes down to your ability or lack thereof to adapt to different software.


Could be. I could not grasp Bars & Pipes. Switching to Cubase was a magic move for me.

But... just look how many moves the guy have to make to play a song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDJq-YxgwQg

My Amiga was using different version. BTW. Loved Amiga, had almost all of them including the best Amiga 3000 with flicker fixer! So maybe was me and Cubase was the one for me.

But I was good at Protracker! Made few good songs for hackers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have found some interesting solution for adjusting very quickly volumes.

Reaper plays the song and I'm in Edit window. Have few marks there, like chorus, 1 verse 2 chorus etc.

Removed from mouse that function which stops Reaper to play when I select a take.

Reaper is playing the song, I've made a shortcuts Alt + and Alt - for increase, decrease volume 1 db.

I have shortcuts for markers as 1,2 3 4 etc.

Song is played, I'm selecting one take, adjusting volume with Alt +, or Alt -, song is still playing, I'm hitting 1 or 4 to jump to different parts of song and immediately I can compare loudness in different parts without stopping the song. Quick and very efficient.

I love it!

Some scripts or settings to achieve different goals would be welcome. ;D
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:21 AM   #77
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings
 
foxAsteria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 6,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
foxAsteria

Yes the defaults suck...but who the hell is using those?!


Thank you. Everybody using them, because they are... defaults.
No. Only masochists and you are using them because...they suck. Now quit complaining and change them to how you think they should be.
__________________
Myy Wyyrd Muzyyk
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #78
whiteaxxxe
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States of Europe, Germany, Mönchengladbach
Posts: 2,047
Default

huberkinky, I think you are stupid. and you will never get it where from I know that.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #79
SaulT
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
No. Only masochists and you are using them because...they suck. Now quit complaining and change them to how you think they should be.
Ummm. I'm using the defaults. I've never gone in and done much in the way of customization at all, and it still seems to work pretty well for me. It's perhaps not ideal, but if it's lacking that's my own fault for not taking advantage of the options available to me, I guess.

Quote:
So every time I d/l a demo, the goal is - use for 30 minutes and If I can beat my current plugin, than I would buy the new one and use INSTEAD.
I haven't really cracked into Molot and Limiter #6 and Kotelnikov yet... but there's a lot more there than I'm going to be able to grasp in an hour. If I gave up before fully exploring them, then I'd be missing out.

It just seems like that's an arbitrarily small amount of time to evaluate a serious tool. Okay, like Nebula - thinking about taking it for a spin, but you know I'm going to have to spend time exploring it. If I give up after 30 minutes, you know I'd be throwing away an opportunity to explore a potentially very useful tool.

Maybe you're handier than me and can figure more out in 30 minutes than I can, but... I dunno. Seems a little short-sighted to me.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #80
whiteaxxxe
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States of Europe, Germany, Mönchengladbach
Posts: 2,047
Default

he is a troll ... he doesnt know what he is speaking of. he is playing name dropping.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.