Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #41
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

tweaked heal tool tester uploaded into post # 39
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=39
6th marchio
Old 03-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #42
70srocker

Cool. Easy to install and works great. Thanks!
70srocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #43
hopi

Default nice Ben and ....

Just came acroos this thread and got the files for it.... I like the concepts and think it may be something I use, at least in part....

Right now, because of certain audio needs that happen often in work I deal with, I use Audition 3 as my external editor and just have an icon on the main toolbar to pop it open the with the selected wav file in it.

Audition offers me the precision and detail of editing, along with great restoration tools that nothing else quite touches... but I've been using it for years. [went there from SForge years ago...]

Now as to undo's.... I often don't need them... but if I'm worried, I can save the Audition 'session' before just saving the file back to reaps and all the undo's of the Audition work are stored in it's own session.

anyway.... just a thought... Thanks Ben for putting all this together!
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #44
BenK-msx

no problem - of course - its not trying to be fully featured, but i feel it fills the gaps where you could just use reaper to edit but you maybe are more familiar with wave editor behaviour or if your on the road running off a usb stick etc and need to do some close up editing.

i still do my finalising in SF but do use reawave often to tweak certain items, the range based editing and ripple effect too are quite important if you use wave editors alot.

often i also just use the tools in the toolbar on a main project.
so its does have it uses!

-

also new extension fx item features by jeffos mean you can now 'apply' a preset fx chain to an item with one or two presses, so if you have a process you apply often that can be handy and more like your fave editor. i may give instructions on doing that rather than change things too much.

i may also make use of the new (in next release) feature to sync playback of project tabs, placing the edit in its original position so you can quickly audition edits/changes in context without gluing and going back to the main project. fun to be had...

Last edited by BenK-msx; 04-28-2010 at 12:53 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #45
semiquaver

neat-o .....
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #46
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
hi, I have come up with a heal tool that uses timestretch to heal the gap created by removing a glitch. [NEW improved version up 6th march]

it deals with events < ~40ms long, which covers most clicky things.

to use:
place the cursor in the *middle* of the event, or a bit earlier if its a transient at start of a note, then apply.
a few tries to familiarise should help.

its a macro you can set to a key or toolbar,
one thing to do first however:

*NOTE*:
it uses the sws extensions command parameters - in the Nudges box - 'seconds (edit cursor)' value - should be set to **0.022** don't do that and it won't work as intended.

( this was needed so a consistant amount of time was removed and covered by the correct amount of timestretching, etc. )

compared to other methods avail to reaper natively this seems to work best so far for me, and if it gets a reasonable response i'll add it to the reawave setup (it is not a part of it yet), with a glue added at the end thrown in..
so please try it out and feedback.

--

I include a comparision pic and soundfile, courtesy of my old chum Donovan's season of the witch intro. healing one of the guitar mutes, that are quite long - 30-40ms spikes.

PIC: above is original, below, the glued healed result.

**SOUNDFILE** before and after. https://stash.reaper.fm/4784/healtest.mp3

i'm pretty happy with it anyhoo, feedback welcome on typical project type problems, clicks and nasties etc.

taa.

** n.b the sws extensions command parameters - in the Nudges box - seconds (edit cursor) value - should be set to 0.022 <<<<new for Heal II **

HEAL II - 6th March: longer/consistant crossfade at first split, larger event gap (44ms), generally tidier. nudge value in 'extensions - command parameters' changed to 0.022 -
HOLA! This looks AWESOME! where do I put this? in my keymaps folder? And then how do I access it and make it run?? Sorry proly noob questions but please be patient...(-:
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #47
BenK-msx

hey - well its not bad, sometimes needs a tweak of a crossfade etc. when done to get it supersmooth.. but I may have come up with a neater more reliable way for glitch removal actually but haven't ironed out things yet - but no harm in trying this out - i not had much feedback on it so interested to hear about it if you do.

its a keymap (macro) - so hit '?' and then 'import' and locate the file there and load.
its called 'heal' something so type in 'heal' into the filter, and it should come up in the actions list. then assign it to a key or midi controller. (highlight it and click 'add')

it also needs SWS extension installed - find it via resources up top of this forum. its fab and a must have so do that without hesitation!

in the main extension menu that comes up in reaper - theres an entry called 'command parameters' which brings up the dialog where you enter the nudge value as stated in my post, otherwise this thing won't work...

hopefully it should work when you put cursor on or near peak of the glitch, and hit the key (experiment with placement to get a feel for it)
Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #48
onewayout

Hey Thanks BenK!

Yeah works great as far as what I had to use it for!.....I haven't got alot of issues right now to use it so looking fwd to having it in my arsenal....Only critique I would like to see is when I hit undo I don't have to scroll through the 4-5 operations to get back to the original trk....I know that is a little petty but just my 1st observation....You guys are geniuses and if we say we got a problem usually somebody knows how to fix it...(-'

thanks again and Cheers! jeff
Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 AM   #49
BenK-msx

cool - glad its ok. had crossed my mind that, if you find the action in the action list and hit edit, theres a tick box 'consolidate undo points' which turns the whole thing into one undo.
I had that off when tweaking it so i could get it right....

should speed things up a bit.

cheers!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #50
onewayout

SWEEEEEEET!! Got it! (-'
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #51
onewayout

Quote:
cool - glad its ok. had crossed my mind that, if you find the action in the action list and hit edit, theres a tick box 'consolidate undo points' which turns the whole thing into one undo.
I had that off when tweaking it so i could get it right....

should speed things up a bit.

cheers!
This also worked great on a vox trk where I couldn't tune or smooth out 2 very quick sharp notes. love it!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #52
web

place the .reapermenu file in: reaper/menusets
place the .reaperkeymap file in: reaper/keymaps
place the project template in: documents and settings/'you'/application data/reaper/ProjectTemplates or reaper/project templates
--

have these locations changed in later releases?

i cannot see the menusets folder anywhere, and there are two keymaps folders (one in reaper/appdata/keymaps, one in /you/application data/ etc along with the templates folder.)

do i need to create these folders in reaper or should they be there somewhere?

Last edited by web; 06-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #53
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by web View Post
place the .reapermenu file in: reaper/menusets
place the .reaperkeymap file in: reaper/keymaps
place the project template in: documents and settings/'you'/application data/reaper/ProjectTemplates or reaper/project templates
--

have these locations changed in later releases?

i cannot see the menusets folder anywhere, and there are two keymaps folders (one in reaper/appdata/keymaps, one in /you/application data/ etc along with the templates folder.)

do i need to create these folders in reaper or should they be there somewhere?
Locations have changed, see here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=56321
Old 07-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #54
web

i still can't find menusets, where is it exactly?
web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #55
BenK-msx

hi the folder will be created when you go into reapers 'customize menu' editor and choose import menu - that folder should be in your app data/reaper folder - found by going to Options = show reaper resource path.

hope that helps, i'll update info in the OP soon.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #56
BrianW

I gotta try this out! I wonder though, what your "Sexy" toolbar tab is? I want some sexy tools, too!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #57
BenK-msx

ha - that was my exploration of the then new floaty toolbar - nothing sexy there unfortunately...

not got round to sorting out the little improvements i had planned, its alrite tho - running off a usb etc - random tweaks.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #58
Melvin J.

Awesome toolbar, Ben!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #59
marchvet

I must be the only one that cant get this installed......

Followed the steps and moved all the files to the right locations(MAC) and then tried the import for the customized menus.

When trying to import the menuset it errors "ReaperMenu file does not have a menu for "main file".

If I go to import the keymap, it is greyed out.

Not sure how to get this going???
marchvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #60
BenK-msx

Hey, will get back to you properly tomorro but try r clicking the floating toolbar. Hit F. import from there with toolbar three showing In list.

Didn't thing anyone was using this! the toolbar is kind of handy I guess.

If pips arrive for v4 the need for ext editor could diminish to zero.

Hope that Is some helpp
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #61
musicroom

Quote:
hi, I have come up with a heal tool macro that uses timestretch to heal the gap created by removing a glitch. [NEW improved version up 6th march]

it deals with events < ~40ms long, which covers most clicky things.

to use:
place the cursor in the *middle* of the event, or a bit earlier if its a transient at start of a note, then apply.
a few tries to familiarise should help.

its a macro you can set to a key or toolbar,
one thing to do first however:

*NOTE*:
it uses the sws extensions - command parameters box - in the 'Nudges' box - 'seconds (edit cursor)' value - should be set to **0.022** don't do that and it won't work as intended!

( this was needed so a consistant amount of time was removed and covered by the correct amount of timestretching, etc. )

compared to other methods avail to reaper natively this seems to work best so far for me, and if it gets a reasonable response i'll add it to the reawave setup (it is not a part of it yet), with a glue added at the end thrown in..
so please try it out and feedback.

--

I include a comparision pic and soundfile, courtesy of my old chum Donovan's season of the witch intro. healing one of the guitar mutes, that are quite long - 30-40ms spikes.

PIC: above is original, below, the glued healed result.
licecap demo gif here: https://stash.reaper.fm/5709/heal.gif

**SOUNDFILE** before and after. https://stash.reaper.fm/4784/healtest.mp3

i'm pretty happy with it anyhoo, feedback welcome on typical project type problems, clicks and nasties etc.

taa.

** n.b the sws extensions command parameters - in the Nudges box - seconds (edit cursor) value - should be set to 0.022 <<<<new for Heal II **

HEAL II - 6th March: longer/consistant crossfade at first split, larger event gap (44ms), generally tidier. nudge value in 'extensions - command parameters' changed to 0.022 -

this is a keymap - import it from actions ('?' key) then assign to a key of choice - i'd advise to tick 'consolidate undo points' too (found in the edit part of actions dialog)

Wow! This worked great on plosives as well! THANK YOU!!!! This will be a trusted tool to turn to often!

DM

_