Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
StringSounds
Human being with feelings

Default Can Reaper be used without audio or midi kb inputs?

Hello.

I am new to Reaper!!!

I would like to know if Reaper can be used "stand alone", without any hardware audio or midi keyboard inputs attached? ... just opening files for example.
StringSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
foxAsteria

You want to use an audio program without audio? Well Reaper will complain if you don't select an audio device but there is a dummy device you can select. You can do what you want then.

You should try Reaper with audio though. It's quite a bit better that way.

Welcome to the Reaper forums.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringSounds View Post
Hello.

I am new to Reaper!!!

I would like to know if Reaper can be used "stand alone", without any hardware audio or midi keyboard inputs attached? ... just opening files for example.
Yes, you can connect an output only audio interface (like a built-in interface in a laptop for example) and work on previously recorded audio in a project. Select "built-in output" in the device menu, for example.

Can we assume you have some computer with at least a built-in output and a headphone jack?

You CAN simply leave any audio interface unconnected and use Reaper silently too. Not sure what you'd be doing there or how a computer would have not even a built-in interface for simple output.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
vdubreeze

Sure, I do it all the time, mostly when I'm checking out VSTi's and fx plugins that I've just downloaded and am too lazy to move from the couch. I'll poke around on the Reaper Virtual Midi Keyboard or the computer's keys for notes with the former and either import random audio files or render to audio the midi files with the latter. Kind of fun. I end up duping tracks and inverting and offsetting midi notes when I'm feeling particularly cacophonous. Render and reverse and play with original. No keyboard (or keyboard skills) needed
Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
StringSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You want to use an audio program without audio? Well Reaper will complain if you don't select an audio device but there is a dummy device you can select. You can do what you want then.

You should try Reaper with audio though. It's quite a bit better that way.

Welcome to the Reaper forums.
Hello.

Thank you!

I just wanted to be sure that I could use Reaper without a DI or Midi KB hooked up. I guess I could have asked it that way.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
StringSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Yes, you can connect an output only audio interface (like a built-in interface in a laptop for example) and work on previously recorded audio in a project. Select "built-in output" in the device menu, for example.

Can we assume you have some computer with at least a built-in output and a headphone jack?

You CAN simply leave any audio interface unconnected and use Reaper silently too. Not sure what you'd be doing there or how a computer would have not even a built-in interface for simple output.
Great thank you. I wanted to be able to use Reaper without a DI or Midi KB attached, but yes, I do have a laptop with the basic output and headphone jack.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
StringSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Sure, I do it all the time, mostly when I'm checking out VSTi's and fx plugins that I've just downloaded and am too lazy to move from the couch. I'll poke around on the Reaper Virtual Midi Keyboard or the computer's keys for notes with the former and either import random audio files or render to audio the midi files with the latter. Kind of fun. I end up duping tracks and inverting and offsetting midi notes when I'm feeling particularly cacophonous. Render and reverse and play with original. No keyboard (or keyboard skills) needed
Great! Very helpful. Thank you.