Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 09-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
klausbert
Human being with feelings

Default Using Reaper Live with a music band

Hello!

I'm trying to configure Reaper to jump inmediately to a track defined by me (by his name or number) pressing any desired midi controller button.

This way I can switch from a piano to a pad quickly.

Is it possible to do this? I was seeing some SWS actions but I couldn't find the right one.

Thanks in advance!
klausbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
DVDdoug

I can't answer your question, but it makes me nervous when people use computers live... Have you ever had a "computer problem", and did it take you more than 5 minutes to fix? A guitar & amp can go a lifetime without a show-stopping problem (although you should carry an extra cable & strings), but computers are the least reliable things we own!

Some people do use computers* and I expect some replies here from people who've never had a problem on stage. (And, the "big acts" are probably using lots of computers in their shows). But, if computer is critical to the performance I recommend that you have a back-up computer configured and ready to go. It also helps if you have a dedicated computer that you don't "mess with" during the day.

* And, there are people who don't use computers live anymore because a show was ruined.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
klausbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I can't answer your question, but it makes me nervous when people use computers live... Have you ever had a "computer problem", and did it take you more than 5 minutes to fix? A guitar & amp can go a lifetime without a show-stopping problem (although you should carry an extra cable & strings), but computers are the least reliable things we own!

Some people do use computers* and I expect some replies here from people who've never had a problem on stage. (And, the "big acts" are probably using lots of computers in their shows). But, if computer is critical to the performance I recommend that you have a back-up computer configured and ready to go. It also helps if you have a dedicated computer that you don't "mess with" during the day.

* And, there are people who don't use computers live anymore because a show was ruined.
I want to to know you that I faced as much as 3 or 4 issues on stage through 7 years playing live.
Pity that you can't answer my question...
klausbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausbert View Post
I'm trying to configure Reaper to jump inmediately to a track defined by me (by his name or number) pressing any desired midi controller button.

This way I can switch from a piano to a pad quickly.

Is it possible to do this? I was seeing some SWS actions but I couldn't find the right one.
So if I understand you correctly, you have, for instance Track 1: Piano and Track 2: Pad and want to basically change which Tracked is armed, right?

If that's the case, one option is probably to set all Tracks to 'Automatic record-arm when track is selected' first (via Track > Set all Tracks to automatic record-arm when track is selected): www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtE_UAUGNng
And assign your MIDI controllers buttons to SWS: Select only track <track#> Actions.

Another option might be making Custom Actions. Just as simple example:
1) Track: Unarm all tracks for recording
2) Track: Toggle record arm for track <track#>

As a side note: the SWS Live Configs might also be interesting in general: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=139465

Last edited by solger; 09-28-2017 at 01:55 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #5
cfillion

My Song Switcher script can be useful for this (link in my signature) especially if your setup involves multiple tracks that must be switched for each song. It can be remotely controlled by MIDI, any web browser (eg. phone/tablet) or external software.

Making a midi controller button jump to a specific song can be done by assigning this short Lua snippet to the desired button:
Code:
local song = "Song title or number here (can be partial)"

reaper.defer(function() -- no undo point
  reaper.SetExtState('cfillion_song_switcher', 'filter', song, false)
end)

Last edited by cfillion; 09-28-2017 at 03:11 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:39 AM   #6
lexaproductions

Through reaconsole you can use:
the "s" action to select any track.
Or the "a" action to Arm the track

So you instantiate the console and you hit "aPiano" or "sPiano"
Voilà

If you want to unArm other tracks before you use a major case
APiano

This can be made into an action using the CONSOLE step of the cycle actions. You the. Link that action to a key and you're good to go.

More on reaconsole:
http://http://www.sws-extension.org/reaconsole.php
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote