Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
tourny
Human being with feelings

Default Compressor not receiving gain properly

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just me doing something wrong, but I'm trying to use ReaComp to control dialogue and the green meter on the left isn't reporting the same gain as the track in the mixer, resulting in the compressor doing nothing about the gain spike I'm trying to control because it doesn't see it for some reason. I tried using iZotope Neutron instead but it seems to be receiving the gain far in advanced, meaning it sees the spike and responds far too early. What could be causing this?

My apologies if this is not the proper place to put this.
tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Well the mixer meter is reporting the output level (after all your fx), while ReaComp is showing you the input level as it receives it. You just need to adjust that threshold slider to compensate for the input.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
tourny

I know that, the problem is that ReaComp is not reporting the level as it receives it. It's reporting something else.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/UnawareUnaw...ianbarbel.webm

The track in question is "Edited" (#125). It is highlighted in the tracks list and highlighted in the mixer window, and ReaComp is open. You can see that ReaComp's reported level is entirely different from the waveform and the other reported levels.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

I can't see your file. What is it?

The meter where the threshold slider is is what the detector actually sees. It is after both precomp and the RMS window. Is it possible your spike is just too fast for the RMS window you've set?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
tourny

It was apparently a webm. Here is a link to a .gif format.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/UnawareUnaw...rianbarbel.gif

Changing the RMS window doesn't help. It's set to the default 5ms. Making it bigger or smaller doesn't help pick up the spike.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

That kind of makes me dizzy because there is a noticeable delay between ReaComp and the Master which I can't really account for.

Even when the RMS window is at zero, you still have the attack to worry about. Like, even if it sees a quick spike, it's only going to start heading toward the proper gain reduction. It can"t possibly get there in time to fix the spike, cause the spike is already past by the time Starts heading to where it probably should be.

Without actually having the thing here to mess with, it's hard to say for sure what that even is, but you might end up having to just get in and automate that one nasty spike down, or else put an actual sample-for-sample clipper/saturation on to catch it.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
bezusheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourny View Post
It was apparently a webm. Here is a link to a .gif format.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/UnawareUnaw...rianbarbel.gif

Changing the RMS window doesn't help. It's set to the default 5ms. Making it bigger or smaller doesn't help pick up the spike.
Looks like the input signal isn't going over the threshold.
Turn down the threshold until you see gain reduction happening.
you may need very fast attack and possibly a little look ahead.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
tourny

I can try to upload some kind of project file. You think ReaComp is delayed, then? I was confused because it seemed pretty unrelated to the master.