Default Rounded Media Items

Hi,
I am looking to achieve some nice rounded media items like in Logic:
https://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/h...een_Shot_3.jpg

Now I try to edit the item_bg.png like this

http://d.pr/i/JvWg

and I get this:

http://d.pr/i/17ovC

I read about the pink and yellow lines, but they are just not clear for me in this case. I uploaded the PNG too I tried to use for this.

Anyone can teach me what I need to do to get the same media items like in Logic?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png item_bg.png (20.6 KB, 169 views)
xanthos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
Pet
Human being with feelings

Hi xanthos84,
have you read White Tie's "The Power of Pink"-pdf? It's on the start page of this forum: "Sticky: Tutorial : Reaper Theming with Pink Bits".

This will help you.
Otherwise ask again.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this: Sticky: >> WALTER : A themer's guide. There is a chapter about the yellow lines too.
and the other theming stickies...

Last edited by Pet; 08-06-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
xanthos84

Thank you.
I have already read that complete stuff,
and based on that knowledge I have posted my question - if you look at the pictures I have posted.

What might be an issue is Photoshop - because I dont know if its the best tool for this image processing - maybe someone else got tips how to work with it so it sticks with the requirements which are needed for the png's.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
xpander

Make your pink line RGB exactly 255, 0, 255 and it should work. At least your example pic seems to have it as 250, 0, 255.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
xanthos84

You can download the PNG and check it too...
But I think its 255/0/255:
http://d.pr/i/jIRt
Old 08-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
xpander

Here your latest picture shows 250/0/255 as well for your pink lines...at least for some parts of them. Both for the color picker block (neu aktuell) and for the pink lines in the image.

edit: I tested your item_bg.png from the first post and it showed the pink lines in Reaper since they were not the required 255/0/255. Then I edited the pink lines to 255/0/255 and sure enough, they didn't show up in Reaper anymore.

I could give you that image here, but since you have some color problem there which needs fixing, you'd have to test it yourself anyway.

Last edited by xpander; 08-06-2016 at 09:40 AM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Pet

I had a look at your pink lines and to me it seems they are correct. But take care that they have no transparency!

What I do is make a layer in PS (which btw is good to edit your png's) with only the pink lines and call it "Base". It stays on top of all the others with zero transparency so whatever I do within other layers that one keeps untouched.
The zero transparency is as important as what xpander mentioned with 255/0/255.

What you need to know is: what is inside the pink-line area will not be stretched. So if you keep an empty area there (what you did in yours, there is 1px empty on top and 3px at bottom and on the right), it will appear in the item. If you take a closer look at the original png from the default theme (make a white layer behind it to see what I mean) you will see that. There is though a "space" around the gray frame to indicate a shadow.

So remove these spaces I mentioned and your frame should be at the outside of the item.

Have fun and start experimenting!

EDIT: there's a guy making a logic theme. Look for "I Logic" made by "Blankfiles". It's looking very, very good, but he wants a donation for it, just to let you know...

Last edited by Pet; 08-06-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
Never

Default Rounded Media Items

I also like this idea, and I achieved nice rounded item corners, but then when u adjust the track height very low they actually became too rounded, so I went in and adjusted my pink lines accordingly, but then the items were not rounded enough on large track sizes...there is a section in HOWT's guide about the 'yellow line crush' or some such hack and I am not exactly sure why but for some reason I am thinking it may be useful to achieve exactly what I was looking for, but then, idk because it eliminated the middle portion at a certain height I believe...I guess I don't have a solution for u sir, but maybe a couple things too consider or look out for when checking the behavior of your element work. I decided to let it go and move on.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote