Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
bnenenenen
Human being with feelings

Default outputting MIDI CC data from OSC in real time

First of all apologies if I get any terminology wrong and such, I'm fairly new to MIDI and to DAWs.

I've ordered a Digitech Whammy guitar effects pedal which is basically a pitch shifting tool with an expression pedal. It has a MIDI input facility that lets you use PC commands to change the mode in which it operates, CC0 to toggle the effect on/off, and CC11 to emulate the position of the expression pedal.

I've also got the TouchOSC app on my phone (http://hexler.net/software/touchosc-android) that lets me send PC and CC commands to Reaper. I've set it up and it appears to be working (if I hit "listen" on the preferences menu in Reaper it seems to respond as it should). The eventual idea is that I can use various buttons, sliders and XY pads on the app to control the Whammy in real time.

My question is this: how would I go about using the MIDI commands that are inputted in to Reaper, to control my pedal in real time? I haven't got a USB-MIDI cable yet but I can't seem to find any option on Reaper that will route the commands it's getting over OSC straight through a USB-MIDI cable.

tl;dr: how to output MIDI commands from OSC to USB-MIDI cable in real time?

Thanks in advance
bnenenenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Banned

Hi bnenenenen, welcome on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnenenenen View Post
First of all apologies if I get any terminology wrong and such, I'm fairly new to MIDI and to DAWs.

I've ordered a Digitech Whammy guitar effects pedal which is basically a pitch shifting tool with an expression pedal. It has a MIDI input facility that lets you use PC commands to change the mode in which it operates, CC0 to toggle the effect on/off, and CC11 to emulate the position of the expression pedal.

I've also got the TouchOSC app on my phone (http://hexler.net/software/touchosc-android) that lets me send PC and CC commands to Reaper. I've set it up and it appears to be working (if I hit "listen" on the preferences menu in Reaper it seems to respond as it should). The eventual idea is that I can use various buttons, sliders and XY pads on the app to control the Whammy in real time.

My question is this: how would I go about using the MIDI commands that are inputted in to Reaper, to control my pedal in real time? I haven't got a USB-MIDI cable yet but I can't seem to find any option on Reaper that will route the commands it's getting over OSC straight through a USB-MIDI cable.

tl;dr: how to output MIDI commands from OSC to USB-MIDI cable in real time?

Thanks in advance
If you are already sending PC and CC commands to Reaper from TouchOSC, I think you're actually not dealing with OSC at all, but plain old MIDI. You should be able to check that by recording the PC/CC events in REAPER.

If REAPER is seeing those (PC/CC) MIDI events, you would simply route them to your MIDI device (in this case, the Whammy pedal) using a hardware MIDI output and cable.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
bnenenenen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Hi bnenenenen, welcome on this forum.

If you are already sending PC and CC commands to Reaper from TouchOSC, I think you're actually not dealing with OSC at all, but plain old MIDI. You should be able to check that by recording the PC/CC events in REAPER.
In the "connections" settings of the app there are 2 options, "OSC" and "MIDI Bridge", I've only configured OSC. Having said that, when I hit "listen" in the preferences in Reaper it doesn't actually say anything about MIDI, PC or CC (see pic). How would I go about recording PC/CC events?

Quote:
If REAPER is seeing those (PC/CC) MIDI events, you would simply route them to your MIDI device (in this case, the Whammy pedal) using a hardware MIDI output and cable.
So you mean it would do it automatically (or with a small amount of configuration) if I plugged the cable in?

Basically what I'm trying to figure out is if Reaper can do what I want it to (seems like a yes so far) and if so if it requires any additional plugins or software.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

edit: forgot picture
[IMG]http://img189.**************/img189/6741/wx65.png[/IMG]

edit2: I've now installed the MIDI Bridge program for the app, and set it as an input device on Reaper. This seems like a nicer solution to me, now all I need to do is reroute it to the output

Last edited by bnenenenen; 08-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Banned

Ah, I see, you were actually sending OSC messages, not MIDI PC/CC.

And yes, I think it would be easier to use plain MIDI for your use case. So indeed, give that MIDI Bridge a try. Success!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
bnenenenen

Think I've found another program that'll just send the MIDI input straight back out... not entirely sure why I thought I needed Reaper. Thanks for your help anyway though, I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable with MIDI.