(rc2) # DDP: re-enabled 8 bit chars in strings
(rc2) # Tempo envelope: fixed minor problems when editing individual points
+ Actions: added action to insert ReaEQ on a track, get/set ReaEQ parameters
+ Actions: fixed action to insert time and paste items
+ API: added CreateNewMIDIItemInProject function
+ API: added function to insert tempo/time signature changes
+ AU: fix for Waves loading crashes
+ AU: support for plug-ins that receive MIDI sysex
+ Crossfades: fixed unwanted creation of crossfade when editing the other edge of a media item
+ DDP support: improvements (MD5, CD-TEXT support, UTF-8/ascii conversion)
+ Colortheme: tweaks to default theme
+ Envelopes: fixed persistence of preference to reset automation mode after writing automation
+ EULA: amended to make it clear that developing and selling plug-ins and extensions is allowed
+ External editors: dedicated action for opening associated projects in REAPER
+ External editors: improved external editor display/running logic, associated project references are fallbacks rather than prioritized
+ Faster REAPER shutdown process (can also reduce crashes on exit on OSX)
+ Freeze: fixed support for freeze in undo states (broken since 4.20)
+ FX envelopes: store special flag for wet/bypass envelopes in case plug-in parameter counts change
+ FX learn: support for toggle mode (toggle an FX parameter on/off with a single mapping)
+ JS: better support for UTF-8 filenames
+ JS: fixed bug where increasing track channels during playback with PDC-JS could cause dropouts
+ JS: fixed loop() behavior with negative counts on x86-64
+ JS: fixed some unuseful order of operation behaviors relating to certain operators
+ JS: import file support for code usability (use .jsfx-inc, these files will not be shown in the FX browser)
+ JS: for .jsfx-inc files, just use @init with functions plus any global initialization needed
+ JS: import can also be used to import other FX and provide the ability to override individual code sections
+ JS: improved code generation, most JS FX should now run substantially faster
+ JS: improved handling of doubleclicks in @gfx
+ JS: improved sizing behavior on OSX
+ JS: improvements to JSFX IDE/editor
+ JS: sent/received MIDI messages are now forced to be sorted by time
+ JS: support for new language constructs (functions, object-namespaces, xor operations, etc)
+ LTC generator: support for 23.976fps (though this is nonstandard)
+ MIDI editor: zoom behavior fixes in certain instances
+ MIDI loop recording: MIDI recording within a time selection optionally creates a selection-length media item
+ MIDI note properties: accepts manual note input (not just using the dropdown)
+ MIDI: optimizations to MIDI item processing when using large blocks with lots of tempo changes
+ Navigator: do not show tempo changes (only time signature markers are displayed)
+ OSC: support for older client implementations when handling messages with no arguments
+ OSC: support for track EQ parameters and feedback
+ Playback seek: settings moved to new Preferences/Audio/Seeking page
+ Preferences: split Envelopes page into separate Envelope Display and Automation Behavior pages
+ Region/Marker Manager: edit marker/region numbers, start, end, length in place in the list view
+ Region/Marker Manager: support for importing/exporting text or csv file
+ Regions: actions to go to another region after the current region finishes playing (smooth seek)
+ Regions: fixed action to delete region near cursor
+ Scrolling: option for continuous scrolling during playback
+ Take lanes: action to collapse empty take lanes
+ Take lanes: do not create unnecessary extra take lanes when punching in
+ Tempo envelope: action/dialog to adjust entire tempo map to a target tempo
+ Tempo envelope: default project timebase is now beats (existing projects are not affected)
+ Tempo envelope: disallowed freehand drawing for the master tempo envelope
+ Tempo envelope: disallowed moving one tempo/time signature marker past another
+ Tempo envelope: easier marquee/selection of master tempo envelope points
+ Tempo envelope: editing multiple points at once applies the change proportionally (not +/- constant BPM)
+ Tempo envelope: markers are always pinned to beat position rather than time
+ Tempo envelope: per-marker setting for allowing a partial measure prior to the marker
+ Tempo envelope: playback position obeys project timebase (time or beats) when user edits project tempo during playback
+ Tempo envelope: saner manual editing of tempo changes when "gradually transition tempo" is enabled
+ Tempo envelope: visual BPM range of envelope can be configured
+ Tempo envelope: visual display of time signature change points is different from tempo change points
+ Time signatures: manual editing requires them to be placed at the start of a measure
+ Time signatures: automatically correct time signatures when adding/removing partial measures from the project
+ Time signatures: time signature changes that truncate the previous measure are displayed in the ruler with an asterisk
+ Time signatures: with snap disabled, moving time signature markers will optionally modify the preceding tempo
+ Time signatures: with snap enabled, time signature changes snap to bars, tempo changes snap to grid
+ Toolbars: improved double-width toolbar button image scaling
+ WALTER: support for knob bitmap stacks
+ WALTER: theme layout lines can end in backslash to extend statement to next line
+ WALTER: transport status better supports layout images
+ WALTER: user-defined font support, other improvements
+ WINE: fixed support for non-conforming CallWindowProcW (still calls ASCII combobox wndproc when passed, unlike Win7/XP)
Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Some Guy
Human being with feelings

regarding the reaeq action, i just had a go at it and it works fine for adding one instance but it won't add more after that. is this expected behavior? there are instances where i'd want multiple eqs in different location of the signal chain.

also i'm having glitches with the playback cursor, with continuous scrolling on. not sure if it happens without. i'll do some testing. and i've been having a hard time with the mouse cursors sometimes not updating properly, which can make editing a real pain.

also i've been having a lot of crashes on osx lately. i'm pretty sure most, if not all, wouldn't happen on a fresh install, but what good is that to me? i'd like to work with my config. uploaded the crash report. (i'm not using the most current pre btw.)
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Superfly76

Love the new continuous scrolling mode. Is this accessible anywhere outside of the actions list? I would have expected to find it in settings too, alongside all the other scrolling options.

As others have stated in previous pre threads regarding the new continuous scrolling feature, I'd also prefer it if the Media Item Buttons and the Media Item Names would scroll until the left of the screen is reached, and then stay there until the item goes off screen, just like it does with standard page style scrolling. I use those buttons a lot to quickly solo and mute media items when playing back. Also, buttons and text look quite glitchy when continuous scrolling is on.

I can also confirm Some Guy's comment regarding the new reaeq action. It only inserts one instance of reaeq per track. If that's by design, that's cool with me. Just wanted to report it if it's not intended.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
ivansc

Oi! I demand v4.24!!!!

P.S.

+ MIDI note properties: accepts manual note input (not just using the dropdown)

Hmmm...
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Superfly76

Also want to report a little glitch. When continuous scrolling engages, there is a small glitch where all the waveforms jerk to the right about 5 pixels or so before scrolling left.

Here's a licecap:

It's not a major issue, but is a little visually disconcerting. It throws me a little when I see these kind of minor glitches.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
bradleyfilms

Default knob_stack niggle

As nobody else has reported this I'm assuming it's just me.

The vol, pan and wid knob stacks of both the tcp and mcp display their old knob images beneath/behind them, or if they're not present the gen_knob_bg ones.
If you use a circular image, chances are the old ones will be covered and you'll never notice, but if you don't...

Steve

Sadly the attachment manager keep changing the png example I want to attach into a jpg!

https://stash.reaper.fm/13277/tcp_wid_knob_stack.png

Got one, if you use this you should be able to see part of anything beneath.

Last edited by bradleyfilms; 07-09-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: image problems
bradleyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
Sadly the attachment manager keep changing the png example I want to attach into a jpg!
Upload to imgur.com and post link here in IMG tag.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly76 View Post
Love the new continuous scrolling mode. Is this accessible anywhere outside of the actions list?
Options menu.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
miche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
v4.25rc2 - July 8 2012
(rc2) # DDP: re-enabled 8 bit chars in strings
Flawless, thank you so much!!

And thanks for the rest of the change log. Wow, what an exciting build!
miche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I'd also prefer it if the Media Item Buttons and the Media Item Names would scroll until the left of the screen is reached, and then stay there until the item goes off screen, just like it does with standard page style scrolling.
This suggestion makes sense to me, at least when the option "Show labels when item edges not visible" is enabled.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
planetnine

Quote:
Also want to report a little glitch. When continuous scrolling engages, there is a small glitch where all the waveforms jerk to the right about 5 pixels or so before scrolling left.

Here's a licecap:

It's not a major issue, but is a little visually disconcerting. It throws me a little when I see these kind of minor glitches.
It's the little toothed sprocket-wheel thingie engaging with the edit-film behind your screen -might be loose in your monitor

Actually, I quite like it (but some think me a little odd anyway) -can we take it home and keep it?

Edit: and what Superfly/Nicholas says, too...

>

Last edited by planetnine; 07-09-2012 at 12:46 PM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Haha, on OSX it delays, then speeds up, then slows down again like a tape transport and I like that too (but I'm odd, too). There also something funny going on with filled envelopes: https://stash.reaper.fm/13280/funny_effect2.gif
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
albert.moest

Quote:
v4.25rc2 - July 8 2012 (rc2)
Quote:
+ Actions: added action to insert ReaEQ on a track, get/set ReaEQ parameters
Hi,
my proposal and opinion to extend the action (41757),

a. Insert ReaEQ on a selected Track (now it is)

b. if ReaEQ exist on a selected Track and the ReaEQ Window is closed, then open ReaEQ FX-Window to get/set ReaEQ parameters on the selected Track.

c: if ReaEQ exist on a selected Track and the ReaEQ Window is open get/set ReaEQ parameters, then close ReaEQ Window on the selectet Track.

that would be great for a faster Workflow and to integrate on DAW-Controlers.

sorry for bad english
Albert
albert.moest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Flawless, thank you so much!!

And thanks for the rest of the change log. Wow, what an exciting build!
Yes, I believe it's some of my best work.

[I always love that the thread starter gets all the credit for the release. ]
Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
miche

Quote:
Yes, I believe it's some of my best work.

[I always love that the thread starter gets all the credit for the release. ]
This is your reward for checking LOL ten times a minute
miche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
Viente

Can we please have the same action to insert ReaComp like we have with ReaEQ now?
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
albert.moest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Can we please have the same action to insert ReaComp like we have with ReaEQ now?
thats a great idea, but do that for all reaPlugs :-))
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
Anton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert.moest View Post
thats a great idea, but do that for all reaPlugs :-))
Actually what I think would be the best solution would be some sort of .ini file that we could add the names of whatever plugins including 3rd party vsts and then the ones listed in the .ini file would receive actions in the actions list. This would be similar to what the SWS team does with some of their actions.

Thanks,

Anton9
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
Viente

SWS method is great, however for some complex custom actions the native method (without track templates) would be much faster. Well at least just ReaComp to the pair with ReaEQ would be awesome!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Actually what I think would be the best solution would be some sort of .ini file that we could add the names of whatever plugins including 3rd party vsts and then the ones listed in the .ini file would receive actions in the actions list. This would be similar to what the SWS team does with some of their actions.

Thanks,

Anton9
No, that wouldn't be user-friendly. In my opinion this should be in a new page in Preferences with several options like the ones albert.moest suggested. Then we could have actions.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
Anton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
No, that wouldn't be user-friendly.
Really? How hard would it be to copy the plugins name from the "Add FX" dialog and paste it into a text file?

Quote:
In my opinion this should be in a new page in Preferences
The problem I would have with this is.., that it would mean the Preferences dialog would have another list to populate.., which if you have a lot of plugins it could take a little while.., plus it would add to REAPERs memory overhead.

How about this..? A couple of right-click menu options in the "Add FX" dialog. Users could right-click on a plugin and select either "Add to actions" or "Remove from actions"

Whatever the solution I'm sure it would probably require a restart of REAPER for the actions to be added to the list.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Really? How hard would it be to copy the plugins name from the "Add FX" dialog and paste it into a text file?
It won't be hard for users like us. For someone who's learning REAPER it won't be that easy to find. Features like this should be easy to find, in my opinion.

Quote:
The problem I would have with this is.., that it would mean the Preferences dialog would have another list to populate.., which if you have a lot of plugins it could take a little while.., plus it would add to REAPERs memory overhead.
It would be for ReaPlugs only.

Quote:
How about this..? A couple of right-click menu options in the "Add FX" dialog. Users could right-click on a plugin and select either "Add to actions" or "Remove from actions"
That would be a good idea but it has to be done in the Fx Browser, in my opinion, not in the "Add FX" dialog.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
albert.moest

Quote:
It would be for ReaPlugs only..
Thats what i mean, only for ReaPlugs, but no ini-Files and no Setupdialog.
Easy and quick, only listed in Actions with her own Actions-ID´s and with the 3in1 Options
- add if not exist
- if exist - Toggle View (open / Close)

Albert
Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
Anton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert.moest View Post
Thats what i mean, only for ReaPlugs
I don't like the idea of it being only for ReaPlugs.., to be honest I find much left to be desired with ReaPlugs. I do use them but vary rarely. I find them to be more buggy and glitchy then alot of 3rd party equivalents.

One thing I find totally annoying about them is when automating or modulating their parameters the sliders on the default UI completely lag.., you have to switch to the generic UI in order to have a decent readout of the activity.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
Superfly76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Options menu.
Thanks, never thought to look in one of the most obvious places.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
Lawrence

Quote:
It won't be hard for users like us. For someone who's learning REAPER it won't be that easy to find. Features like this should be easy to find, in my opinion.
Agree. Bottom line imo, audio plugs are all "known" to the application on launch. It shouldn't be necessary to limit it at all, but just have an action that can load any plug, and let the user decide which plugs they wish to attach or bind.

If that's already in SWS he has the right idea. Loading a plug (any plug) is a really common thing so I don't see the need to limit a thing like this to specific plugs or specific mfg's plugs.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-09-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #27
Banned

It's not just about loading plugins, it's about REAPER knowing about every parameter and (more importantly) understanding how exactly they relate. We need a framework to classify plugin types and parameters in a generic manner before this can work as intended.

Those who have studied the default OSC control surface configuration of the latest string of pre-releases already know that even for a relatively simple plugin such as ReaEQ, this involves a pretty elaborate scheme. I've pasted the relevant part here, just so you get an idea of the level of complexity required for handling a single plugin (type):

Code:
FX_EQ_BYPASS b/fxeq/bypass b/track/@/fxeq/bypass
FX_EQ_OPEN_UI b/fxeq/openui b/track/@/fxeq/openui

FX_EQ_PRESET s/fxeq/preset s/track/@/fxeq/preset
FX_EQ_PREV_PRESET s/fxeq/preset- s/track/@/fxeq/preset-
FX_EQ_NEXT_PRESET s/fxeq/preset+ s/track/@/fxeq/preset+

FX_EQ_MASTER_GAIN n/fxeq/gain n/track/@/fxeq/gain 
FX_EQ_MASTER_GAIN f/fxeq/gain/db f/track/@/fxeq/gain/db s/fxeq/gain/str
FX_EQ_WETDRY n/fxeq/wetdry n/track/@/fxeq/wetdry
FX_EQ_WETDRY s/fxeq/wetdry/str s/track/@/fxeq/wetdry/str

FX_EQ_HIPASS_NAME s/fxeq/hipass/str
FX_EQ_HIPASS_FREQ n/fxeq/hipass/freq n/track/@/fxeq/hipass/freq
FX_EQ_HIPASS_FREQ f/fxeq/hipass/freq/hz f/track/@/fxeq/hipass/freq/hz
FX_EQ_HIPASS_FREQ s/fxeq/hipass/freq/str s/track/@/fxeq/hipass/freq/str
FX_EQ_HIPASS_Q n/fxeq/hipass/q n/track/@/fxeq/hipass/q
FX_EQ_HIPASS_Q f/fxeq/hipass/q/oct f/track/@/fxeq/hipass/q/oct
FX_EQ_HIPASS_Q s/fxeq/hipass/q/str s/track/@/fxeq/hipass/q/str

FX_EQ_LOSHELF_NAME s/fxeq/lopass/str
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_FREQ n/fxeq/loshelf/freq n/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/freq
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_FREQ f/fxeq/loshelf/freq/hz f/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/freq/hz
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_FREQ s/fxeq/loshelf/freq/str s/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/freq/str
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_GAIN n/fxeq/loshelf/gain n/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/gain
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_GAIN f/fxeq/loshelf/gain/db f/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/gain/db
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_GAIN s/fxeq/loshelf/gain/str s/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/gain/str
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_Q n/fxeq/loshelf/q n/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/q
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_Q f/fxeq/loshelf/q/oct f/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/q/oct
FX_EQ_LOSHELF_Q s/fxeq/loshelf/q/str s/track/@/fxeq/loshelf/q/str

FX_EQ_BAND_NAME s/fxeq/band/str
FX_EQ_BAND_FREQ n/fxeq/band/@/freq n/track/@/fxeq/band/@/freq
FX_EQ_BAND_FREQ f/fxeq/band/@/freq/hz f/track/@/fxeq/band/@/freq/hz
FX_EQ_BAND_FREQ s/fxeq/band/@/freq/str s/track/@/fxeq/band/@/freq/str
FX_EQ_BAND_GAIN n/fxeq/band/@/gain n/track/@/fxeq/band/@/gain
FX_EQ_BAND_GAIN f/fxeq/band/@/gain/db f/track/@/fxeq/band/@/gain/db
FX_EQ_BAND_GAIN s/fxeq/band/@/gain/str s/track/@/fxeq/band/@/gain/str
FX_EQ_BAND_Q n/fxeq/band/@/q n/track/@/fxeq/band/@/q
FX_EQ_BAND_Q f/fxeq/band/@/q/oct f/track/@/fxeq/band/@/q/oct
FX_EQ_BAND_Q s/fxeq/band/@/q/str s/track/@/fxeq/band/@/q/str

FX_EQ_NOTCH_NAME s/fxeq/notch/str
FX_EQ_NOTCH_FREQ n/fxeq/notch/freq n/track/@/fxeq/notch/freq
FX_EQ_NOTCH_FREQ f/fxeq/notch/freq/hz f/track/@/fxeq/notch/freq/hz
FX_EQ_NOTCH_FREQ s/fxeq/notch/freq/str s/track/@/fxeq/notch/freq/str
FX_EQ_NOTCH_GAIN n/fxeq/notch/gain n/track/@/fxeq/notch/gain
FX_EQ_NOTCH_GAIN f/fxeq/notch/gain/db f/track/@/fxeq/notch/gain/db
FX_EQ_NOTCH_GAIN s/fxeq/notch/gain/str s/track/@/fxeq/notch/gain/str
FX_EQ_NOTCH_Q n/fxeq/notch/q n/track/@/fxeq/notch/q
FX_EQ_NOTCH_Q f/fxeq/notch/q/oct f/track/@/fxeq/notch/q/oct
FX_EQ_NOTCH_Q s/fxeq/notch/q/str s/track/@/fxeq/notch/q/str

FX_EQ_HISHELF_NAME s/fxeq/hishelf/str
FX_EQ_HISHELF_FREQ n/fxeq/hishelf/freq n/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/freq
FX_EQ_HISHELF_FREQ f/fxeq/hishelf/freq/hz f/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/freq/hz
FX_EQ_HISHELF_FREQ s/fxeq/hishelf/freq/str s/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/freq/str
FX_EQ_HISHELF_GAIN n/fxeq/hishelf/gain n/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/gain
FX_EQ_HISHELF_GAIN f/fxeq/hishelf/gain/sb f/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/gain/db
FX_EQ_HISHELF_GAIN s/fxeq/hishelf/gain/str s/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/gain/str
FX_EQ_HISHELF_Q n/fxeq/hishelf/q n/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/q
FX_EQ_HISHELF_Q f/fxeq/hishelf/q/oct f/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/q/oct
FX_EQ_HISHELF_Q s/fxeq/hishelf/q/str s/track/@/fxeq/hishelf/q/str

FX_EQ_LOPASS_NAME s/fxeq/loshelf/str
FX_EQ_LOPASS_FREQ n/fxeq/lopass/freq n/track/@/fxeq/lopass/freq
FX_EQ_LOPASS_FREQ f/fxeq/lopass/freq/hz f/track/@/fxeq/lopass/freq/hz
FX_EQ_LOPASS_FREQ s/fxeq/lopass/freq/str s/track/@/fxeq/lopass/freq/str
FX_EQ_LOPASS_Q n/fxeq/lopass/q n/track/@/fxeq/lopass/q
FX_EQ_LOPASS_Q f/fxeq/lopass/q/oct f/track/@/fxeq/lopass/q/oct
FX_EQ_LOPASS_Q s/fxeq/lopass/q/str s/track/@/fxeq/lopass/q/str
To be honest, this set of message patterns was already a bit too overwhelming for me to play around and get comfortable with (also, I tend to avoid using EQ as much as I can, and don't like ReaEQ as far as EQ goes anyway).

But do note that this scheme could be applied to other EQ's as well. Imho we should rather be testing this stuff first (as far as I have seen, nobody has really tested it yet while it's been there for months) and discussing if the existing functionality suffices, before we move on and discuss how it can best be generalized to other EQ effect plugins, and in a similar vein, what sets of parameters would best fit other generic plugin types (e.g. dynamics). To me it seems to make a lot of sense to start with EQ plugins only at first, since they may be the most generic type of effect, and one would expect to see them on a any mixer, whether real or virtual.

Next up, it seems to make most sense to add ReaComp and ReaGate. If we get a similar scheme for them, the basics of a 'channel strip' type of setup are pretty much covered. Then, if we could use *different* image stacks for each Track FX knob on the TCP/MCP, and have their number bumped up from the meagre 16 to 64 or so...
Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #28
Banned

Inserting tempo change issue:

(- project timebase: Beats (position, length, rate))
- enable snap/grid on 1/32 notes;
- move cursor to start (1.1.00);
- insert tempo change at 1.1.00: 100 BPM;
- move cursor to 1.1.13 / 0:00.075;
- insert another tempo change, e.g. 150 BPM.

Result: the tempo change appears on a different location than it is expected; in this case, slightly to the right of the cursor, and the 1.1.13 indicator is moved from 0:00.075 to 0:00.078 (and the grid between the tempo changes, incorrectly):

Then, if one clicks on the tempo change, it 'automatically' gets dragged to the location where one would expect it to have appeared, back at 0:00.075:

My hunch is that this issue is caused by the fact that REAPER is not using ticks but 1/100ths of a beat here, and is rounding them off incorrectly: 1.1.13 should really be 1.1.12,5, exactly halfway between 1.1.00 and 1.1.25. How about REAPER being slightly more consistent and just use the ticks per quarter note setting from the preferences (default: 960) ?

(While testing this, I also experienced an issue that may be related, where I play a short MIDI clip that is looped and dragged out over a few measures, with REAPER playing over those few measures in a cycle, it stopped playing once every other handful of cycles. I have not yet been able to reproduce it though).

Last edited by Banned; 07-10-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #29
Banned

Default ... and now for something *really* important ;)

Quote:
v4.25rc2 - July 8 2012
+ Colortheme: tweaks to default theme
+ WALTER: transport status better supports layout images
... yet the ugly fail-shadow on the transport in the default theme survived:

I vaguely remember someone mentioning that some things look weird on OS X but ok on Windows. Is this perhaps one of them? (I can hardly imagine WT having missed this all along his quest for pixel-perfection ...)
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #30
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
It's not just about loading plugins, it's about REAPER knowing about every parameter and (more importantly) understanding how exactly they relate. We need a framework to classify plugin types and parameters in a generic manner before this can work as intended.
I must be missing something really important here as I don't understand why it has to be so complex. I will apologize to Ivan in advance for using the example below, but it's relevant to what we're talking about. It's a single action that will load any plug or any chain (or any plug or chain preset) and the user doesn't have to do anything but select one and save the action.

So when people talk about users typing in plug names into an *.ini file and all that I'm lost as to what's potentially happening differently there that doesn't happen when you load a plug manually.

It's just a simple action that loads any plug. What else should it do? Once the plug is actually loaded... doesn't the DAW already know every parameter?

I'm obviously missing something.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
regarding the reaeq action, i just had a go at it and it works fine for adding one instance but it won't add more after that. is this expected behavior? there are instances where i'd want multiple eqs in different location of the signal chain. [...]
I think that is how it (currently) is supposed to work. I'm deducing that from the comments in the default OSC configuration (presupposing that these are related to the action), that does not seem to allow targeting multiple instances on the same track using EQ-specific messages:

Code:
# DEVICE_EQ determines whether sending any FX_EQ message will automatically insert
# ReaEQ on the target track if it does not exist, or the message will only affect
# an existing instance of ReaEQ.
# Allowed values: INSERT, EXISTING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
[...] uploaded the crash report. (i'm not using the most current pre btw.)
Sorry to hear about your problems, but:
(1) I'm guessing that crash report goes to Apple, and I wouldn't count on them promptly forwarding it to Cockos or actually reading it with any particular interest themselves;
(2) You should really be posting the issue(s) you have in the relevant thread to the version you're using, or (better!) update to the latest pre first and then post here.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #32
Viente

Quote:
I vaguely remember someone mentioning that some things look weird on OS X but ok on Windows. Is this perhaps one of them? (I can hardly imagine WT having missed this all along his quest for pixel-perfection ...)
Maybe it was me For example scrollbar arrows looks aliased on OSX, but good on Windows
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #33
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I must be missing something really important here as I don't understand why it has to be so complex [...] I'm obviously missing something.
Here's how I see it: in order to understand the current direction of development of this new insert ReaEQ action, one should see it in the its original context, and thus not look at it as an isolated action that is (unfortunately) restricted to one particular plugin, but rather as a byproduct of the much more elaborate scheme for controlling ReaEQ from control surfaces that I referred to above.

One could also ask: now where are the other bunch of native REAPER actions related to controlling ReaEQ? Why do the OSC guys get all the love? AGAIN??
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #34
Viente

I love OSC
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #35
Lawrence

Quote:
Here's how I see it: in order to understand the current direction of development of this new insert ReaEQ action, one should see it in the its original context, and thus not look at it as an isolated action that is (unfortunately) restricted to one particular plugin, but rather as a byproduct of the much more elaborate scheme for controlling ReaEQ from control surfaces that I referred to above.

One could also ask: now where are the other bunch of native REAPER actions related to controlling ReaEQ? Why do the OSC guys get all the love? AGAIN??
Yeah, that's why I thought I must be missing something important. I thought the earlier short discussion was about loading plugs via actions but (I guess?) it will or is supposed to later do much more than that, load a plug and also attach / bind it's parameters to a control surface at the same time or something?

If so, yeah, those are really two different things and that's (I suppose) what I missing, what happens differently (after loading) when you load a plug manually, and control it via a control surface, that would happen when you load it with an action and control it with a control surface.

There's obviously a bit of proposed automation or something different that's going over my head here. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I thought I must be missing something important. I thought the earlier short discussion was about loading plugs via actions but (I guess?) it will or is supposed to later do much more than that, load a plug and also attach / bind it's parameters to a control surface at the same time or something?
As far as I understand (as I said before, I haven't really tested this yet), REAPER currently does that for ReaEQ already. But not (yet) for any other plugin. So I'm kind of expecting/hoping other plugins to follow, but rather top-down than bottom-up, so to speak: an 'insert this specific plugin' action only makes sense when there's something specific about that plugin, e.g. that it can be controlled from a control surface and provides feedback to it (for example, one can now easily get/set ReaEQ parameters as dB and Hz). That is how I understand this particular action / set of OSC message patterns anyway.
Quote:
If so, yeah, those are really two different things and that's (I suppose) what I missing, what happens differently (after loading) when you load a plug manually, and control it via a control surface, that would happen when you load it with an action and control it with a control surface.

There's obviously a bit of proposed automation or something different that's going over my head here. Thanks.
I'm not sure it's all that different as far as REAPER is concerned; but again, the "proposed" bits probably already work as we speak. Which I think explains exactly why the new action is specific to one plugin, and why is not 'restrictive', but is still being developed.

If anything is to blame for currently having such features available 'only' for ReaEQ, it the user community (including myself) for not yet having done any useful testing on these features for the first prototype test case. We did not show any interest in it at all, so why would the developers prioritize working on it?

<bumps testing OSC support for ReaEQ a few places up personal to-do list>
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #37
Lawrence

Quote:
an 'insert this specific plugin' action only makes sense when there's something specific about that plugin, e.g. that it can be controlled from a control surface
Ok, I understand, that's where our thinking is diverging a bit.

It makes sense to me (mmv of course) just as a practical matter, even if you don't have a control surface, to fire an action to load a specific audio plug that you might use a lot (comp, EQ, whatever) without browsing lists of all available plugs. So I was looking at it more as a general workflow thing than as a control surface thing.

Thanks Banned. I think I understand your thinking a bit better. And the OSC stuff is way over my head.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Ok, I understand, that's where our thinking is diverging a bit.

It makes sense to me (mmv of course) just as a practical matter, even if you don't have a control surface, to fire an action to load a specific audio plug that you might use a lot (comp, EQ, whatever) without browsing lists of all available plugs. So I was looking at it more as a general workflow thing than as a control surface thing.

Thanks Banned. I think I understand your thinking a bit better. And the OSC stuff is way over my head.
Well, I do agree on it being a workflow thing. But just the same, firing an action to control a plugin is arguably just as useful, also without a control surface. And I guess I'm not arguing that any "insert plugin X" action *should* follow from a more elaborate control scheme, I'm only pointing out that it actually did so in this particular case, because that bit of context seemed to have been overlooked in the discussion.

Tbh, I think the entire 'control surface' label is somewhat of a misnomer, and obscures the fact that it exposes functionality that can be used much more generally. The (OSC) control surface stuff is very useful even without any (OSC) control surface. Much as MIDI is useful even without having a physical MIDI keyboard attached.

As far as workflow is concerned, I'm imagining a no-too-distant future where we can somehow organize our favorite EQ plugins to have their (basic) parameters mapped to the same set of actions / remote control message patterns, and link them to dedicated Track FX knobs, so we can easily switch between our favorite EQs, while keeping their controls mapped to dedicated knobs and buttons on the TCP/MCP, control surfaces, etc. Then do the same for a couple of other basic plugin types (probably dynamics are most important), and we have a fully customizable virtual 'console' setup. Sounds like a plan, doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #39
Some Guy

well i uploaded the last crash report as a text file and thought it would post a link automatically, but that didn't seem to work out.

meanwhile i've updated to the last release and have had another crash. this time on changing screenset.

Process: REAPER [33007]
Path: /Applications/REAPER.app/Contents/MacOS/REAPER
Identifier: com.cockos.reaper
Version: ??? (4.25rc2)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [144]

Date/Time: 2012-07-10 18:02:06.562 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 14195948 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 303
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 1854 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Anonymous UUID: 16AE16F0-AC85-4E65-821E-FAB2A90F93F3

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000007473694c
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: isKindOfClass:

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x91978f8b objc_msgSend + 27
1 com.apple.AppKit 0x969232a9 -[NSWindow _setUpFirstResponderBeforeBecomingVisible] + 178
2 com.apple.AppKit 0x969225bf -[NSWindow _reallyDoOrderWindow:relativeTo:findKey:forCounter :force:isModal:] + 1021
3 com.apple.AppKit 0x96922161 -[NSWindow orderWindow:relativeTo:] + 105
4 com.apple.AppKit 0x96a9c739 -[NSWindow orderFront:] + 50
5 com.cockos.reaper 0x0037bdf9 ShowWindow(HWND__*, int) + 745
6 com.cockos.reaper 0x0037bc1f ShowWindow(HWND__*, int) + 271
7 com.cockos.reaper 0x004350a7 DockWindowAdd(HWND__*, char const*, char const*, bool) + 3447
8 com.cockos.reaper 0x0043b3a8 DockWindow::display(int) + 280
9 com.cockos.reaper 0x0056cae8 TrackMgrWnd::display(int) + 24
10 com.cockos.reaper 0x0043c17e DockWindow::screensetCb(int, char const*, void*, void*, int) + 1182
11 com.cockos.reaper 0x0043c2d1 DockWindow::staticScreensetCb(int, char const*, void*, void*, int) + 49
12 com.cockos.reaper 0x0043fff7 screenset_loadStateImpl(Screenset*, bool) + 871
13 com.cockos.reaper 0x00448695 _Z19screenset_loadStatei. + 188
14 com.cockos.reaper 0x0003fe76 Main_OnCommandEx(int, int, ReaProject*) + 11638
15 com.cockos.reaper 0x001fbe2a _Z18KBD_OnMainActionExiiiiP6HWND__P10ReaProject. + 105
16 com.cockos.reaper 0x0046376a MainProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 1866
17 com.cockos.reaper 0x00363afa SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 74
18 com.cockos.reaper 0x0037f9d3 SendMessage(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 355
19 com.cockos.reaper 0x002f3c64 ToolbarHostWnd::wndProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 2100
20 com.cockos.reaper 0x0043c343 DockWindow::staticWndProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 99
21 com.cockos.reaper 0x00363afa SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 74
22 com.cockos.reaper 0x0037f9d3 SendMessage(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 355
23 com.cockos.reaper 0x0020b3b2 WDL_VWnd::SendCommand(int, long, long, WDL_VWnd*) + 34
24 com.cockos.reaper 0x0020b3e7 WDL_VWnd::SendCommand(int, long, long, WDL_VWnd*) + 87
25 com.cockos.reaper 0x0021224a WDL_VirtualIconButton::OnMouseUp(int, int) + 250
26 com.cockos.reaper 0x0020ad94 WDL_VWnd::OnMouseUp(int, int) + 132
27 com.cockos.reaper 0x002f49c9 ToolbarHostWnd::wndProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 5529
28 com.cockos.reaper 0x0043c343 DockWindow::staticWndProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 99
29 com.cockos.reaper 0x00363afa SwellDialogDefaultWindowProc(HWND__*, unsigned int, unsigned long, long) + 74
30 com.cockos.reaper 0x0035b2a4 SWELL_SendMouseMessage(NSView*, int, NSEvent*) + 756
31 com.apple.AppKit 0x96a40ae8 -[NSWindow sendEvent:] + 5693
32 com.apple.AppKit 0x9695960b -[NSApplication sendEvent:] + 6431
33 com.cockos.reaper 0x00206939 -[REAPERapp sendEvent:] + 297
34 com.apple.AppKit 0x968ed253 -[NSApplication run] + 917
35 com.apple.AppKit 0x968e5289 NSApplicationMain + 574
36 com.cockos.reaper 0x00002722 _start + 216
37 com.cockos.reaper 0x00002649 start + 41

Thread 1: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a7d382 kevent + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a7da9c _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 215
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a7cf59 _dispatch_queue_invoke + 163
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a7ccfe _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 240
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a7c781 _pthread_wqthread + 390
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a7c5c6 start_wqthread + 30

Thread 2:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a56afa mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a57267 mach_msg + 68
2 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x008220c1 XServerMachPort::ReceiveMessage(int&, void*, int&) + 155
3 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x0084097a MIDIProcess::RunMIDIInThread() + 150
4 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x008232d9 XThread::RunHelper(void*) + 17
5 com.apple.audio.midi.CoreMIDI 0x00822ca6 CAPThread::Entry(CAPThread*) + 96
6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a84259 _pthread_start + 345
7 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a840de thread_start + 34

Thread 3:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a56c0e mach_wait_until + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92ade429 nanosleep + 345
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92ade2ca usleep + 61
3 com.cockos.reaper 0x00389102 Sleep(int) + 34
4 reaper_video.dylib 0x1b04decf videoDecodeThread(void*) + 815
5 com.cockos.reaper 0x00036318 AutoRepositionSelItemsForFreeLaneMode(MediaItem*, MediaTrack*, bool) + 2024

Thread 4: com.apple.CFSocket.private
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a75ac6 select$DARWIN_EXTSN + 10
1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9422dc53 __CFSocketManager + 1091
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a84259 _pthread_start + 345
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a840de thread_start + 34

Thread 5:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a56b5a semaphore_timedwait_signal_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a846e1 _pthread_cond_wait + 1066
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92ab35a8 pthread_cond_timedwait_relative_np + 47
3 com.cockos.reaper 0x00389390 WaitForSingleObject(void*, unsigned int) + 544
4 com.cockos.reaper 0x00479b7f scrubThread(void*) + 415
5 com.cockos.reaper 0x00388def __threadproc(void*) + 31

Thread 6:
3 com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 0x98b423ab CAGuard::WaitFor(unsigned long long) + 219
4 com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 0x98b453dd CAGuard::WaitUntil(unsigned long long) + 289
5 com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 0x98b42cda HP_IOThread::WorkLoop() + 1892
6 com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 0x98b42571 HP_IOThread::ThreadEntry(HP_IOThread*) + 17
7 com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 0x98b42488 CAPThread::Entry(CAPThread*) + 140
8 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a84259 _pthread_start + 345
9 libSystem.B.dylib 0x92a840de thread_start + 34

Thread 7:
4 com.cockos.reaper 0x000e1f87 WorkerThreadInst::threadProc(void*) + 2775

Thread 8:
4 com.cockos.reaper 0x000e1f87 WorkerThreadInst::threadProc(void*) + 2775

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0x0149d400 ebx: 0x969232cf ecx: 0x97106c0c edx: 0x24004314
edi: 0x7473694c esi: 0x0149d400 ebp: 0xbfff9ee8 esp: 0xbfff9ea4
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010206 eip: 0x91978f8b cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x7473694c
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
KevinW

Quote:
As far as I understand (as I said before, I haven't really tested this yet), REAPER currently does that for ReaEQ already. But not (yet) for any other plugin. So I'm kind of expecting/hoping other plugins to follow, but rather top-down than bottom-up, so to speak: an 'insert this specific plugin' action only makes sense when there's something specific about that plugin, e.g. that it can be controlled from a control surface and provides feedback to it (for example, one can now easily get/set ReaEQ parameters as dB and Hz). That is how I understand this particular action / set of OSC message patterns anyway.

I'm not sure it's all that different as far as REAPER is concerned; but again, the "proposed" bits probably already work as we speak. Which I think explains exactly why the new action is specific to one plugin, and why is not 'restrictive', but is still being developed.

If anything is to blame for currently having such features available 'only' for ReaEQ, it the user community (including myself) for not yet having done any useful testing on these features for the first prototype test case. We did not show any interest in it at all, so why would the developers prioritize working on it?

<bumps testing OSC support for ReaEQ a few places up personal to-do list>
So, am I to understand that when we use the new action to insert Reaeq, that the parameters will automatically be mapped to a specific controller? That would be nice (though not necessarily for Reaeq, but it's a start).

We already have SWS actions to insert a certain number of your favorite plugins (limited to a dozen plus or minus, IIRC). So I'm hoping that I'm understanding you correctly and that this new action does something more than just insert the plugin on the track.

I'll have to test this out later tonight...
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote