Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Found perfect Piano Comp/Limit

The solution for all pianos is the CLA-3A. I assume any LA-3A would do. My last few mixes have had piano prominently featured. I've been struggling to get the sound right.

I've been using Analog Lab 4 with the Piano V presets. They're okay, but awfully bright. The high end is shrill with these presets. Any attempt to roll off highs drops the track out of the mix. So compression/limiting is essential to keep it from clipping and holding it steady in the mix.

I've tried all versions of MJUC (vari-mu), CLA-76, V-Comp (diode-bridge), S.LA.X, etc. Pretty much tried everything. Nothing really sounded right to me, somehow. They weren't what I was looking for, tonally. A piano is a huge sound and is the most difficult instrument to fit in a mix, for me. It may be different if you track it, but virtual pianos are like wet clay. One false move and it collapses.

Anyway, the CLA-3A came on sale the last couple of weeks, so I gave it a good solid try. It worked immediately. Now, I still clip the track and sometimes the buss, but it's holding well in the mix and is what I want to hear (all things considered).

I'm very happy with the compressor, which shouldn't be a surprise, but it's not one of those items with a ton of caché. My point is, if you don't have one, do yourself a favour and head over to Waves and pick up yours while the sale is on.

I do have have a promo code from my purchase, so if you do decide to buy, PM me for the code.