Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
explodingPSYCH
Human being with feelings

Default REATUNE manual correction DOES NOT MOVE w/ items

When notes are drawn in on Reatune they do not reflect adjustments made to when items/regions are moved or when "Remove contents of selection and move later items" is used.

This has caused me significant problems when trying to adjust the placement of items involving any use of Reatune.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Using ReaTune as item effect rather than track effect might help.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Using ReaTune as item effect rather than track effect might help.
This is a good idea, but I often split my items many times to do things like adjust item gain (in favor of volume automation). I do this in spots where a De-Esser isn't cutting it on a really nasty Ess sound.

Is there a way to apply one instance of retune to multiple items??

EDIT: Applying one instance of an VST to multiple items would actually be really handy for a lot of situations! I really hope this is a thing!

Last edited by explodingPSYCH; 09-29-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingPSYCH View Post
This is a good idea, but I often split my items many times to do things like adjust item gain (in favor of volume automation).
Why not use take envelopes instead?

Quote:
Is there a way to apply one instance of retune to multiple items??
Yes, by saving an instance of ReaTune as FX chain then using SWS Resources->FX Chain panel to load it onto multiple items.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
lexaproductions

Yes there are several ways to do it. You can copy one item's FX Chain and paste it to several one.
I made myself a custom action that does just that.

These are the actions you need to do it:

Copy FX Chain, Active Take
SWS/S&M: Paste FX chain to selected items, all takes
lexaproductions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
explodingPSYCH

This is awesome. I'm going to do this right away!

I still think this should be addressed as a bug fix if possible! It makes using Reatune as a normal track VST a huge liability.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
EpicSounds

don't tune until the arrangement is done?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
vitalker

You should tick on Preferences->Media "Duplicate take FX when splitting items" to save ReaTune on splitted items.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
hamish

I still think this should be fixed. Considering that ReaTune now follows global zoom mappings, and it's a great plug-in and well regarded.

I think it's reasonable to assume that automation made in ReaTune should follow items if that global arrange option is set.

I do understand that could be quite a few cockos-coding hours to fix compared to the scale of the problem.

It is definitely a bug though imo.

(Whoo-hoo, I just made my post 3K, look out ED )
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Why not use take envelopes instead?

Yes, by saving an instance of ReaTune as FX chain then using SWS Resources->FX Chain panel to load it onto multiple items.
Take Envelopes look cool I may give those a try, though I tend to like the "feel" of splitting and adjusting item volume. Envelopes seem a little sloppy to me. I haven't used them much, but they tend to fall on random values that are hard to duplicate. With item volume I can safely drop different parts of a vocal performance by -0.4 db pretty reliably. I think your suggestion here might be a good one though. I'll try it out.

How do you "save an instance of Reatune as an FX Chain?" I've tried copying and then using SWS to paste into selected items with no luck. Will this also copy my drawn notes? I'm not sure if they count as automation or if they are just copied settings within Reatune.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
Yes there are several ways to do it. You can copy one item's FX Chain and paste it to several one.
I made myself a custom action that does just that.

These are the actions you need to do it:

Copy FX Chain, Active Take
SWS/S&M: Paste FX chain to selected items, all takes
I tried doing this by selecting the actions while reatune was selected and then selecting the items i wanted to paste to and had no luck. nothing happened. Am I missing something?

Also, is this just going to put a new instance of reatune on each item, or does it copy my drawn notes and just play each item through one instance of reatune. I might be concerned about CPU if it's running a new instance of the plugin for each split item.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
don't tune until the arrangement is done?
This is the same as saying "you cannot adjust your arrangement after using Reatune." A bug, not a feature.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #13
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
You should tick on Preferences->Media "Duplicate take FX when splitting items" to save ReaTune on splitted items.
I'm asking a similar question to another poster, but does this actually duplicate the FX causing an increase in CPU load? Or would the split clips be somehow sharing one instance of the plugin?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:58 PM   #14
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I still think this should be fixed. Considering that ReaTune now follows global zoom mappings, and it's a great plug-in and well regarded.

I think it's reasonable to assume that automation made in ReaTune should follow items if that global arrange option is set.

I do understand that could be quite a few cockos-coding hours to fix compared to the scale of the problem.

(Whoo-hoo, I just made my post 3K, look out ED )
I agree! Reatune is easily my favorite pitch correction for vocals. Having it bug free would really strengthen the DAW as a whole in my opinion.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
lexaproductions

Quote:
I doubt it would be "fixed" as it is not a bug but it is behaving by design. An insert FX is a real-time plugin so how could it know where your items are? And what if the items are moved during playback?

Quote:
Also, is this just going to put a new instance of reatune on each item, or does it copy my drawn notes and just play each item through one instance of reatune.
Well the item Take FX MUST be put BEFORE you do the pitch editing. I don't know how to transfer from Insert -> Take FX

Quote:
...I might be concerned about CPU if it's running a new instance of the plugin for each split item.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but having fx on every items is less CPU intense because each instance is only active while the said item is playing. So it's actually less intense then slapping Reatune as an insert plugin on every track.

Quote:
I tried doing this by selecting the actions while reatune was selected and then selecting the items i wanted to paste to and had no luck. nothing happened. Am I missing something?
You need to select the item that has the Take FX then you copy, Then you select your target items and you paste.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
EpicSounds

Quote:
This is the same as saying "you cannot adjust your arrangement after using Reatune." A bug, not a feature.
same thing happens with Autotune and Melodyne in any daw pretty sure. How is the plugin supposed to know you moved something in the arrange view?
Old 09-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
Something that is important here, is that because it isn't a feature, doesn't make it a bug. It makes it a feature that doesn't exist. The only way it can be a bug is if cockos coded and intended it to do what is being asked but for some reason that doesn't work. I get why we end-users might think that way and not trying to be pedantic, just noting the importance of using the right terminology so maybe a tad pedantic.

Though it is total user preference... I do agree with EpicSounds that it's usually more accurate and efficient (and prevents issues such as this), to keep certain phases of the project separate. YMMV
Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #18
lexaproductions

Just use it on item takes and be done with it. This is a non issue...

Patient: "Doctor it hurts when I do that"

Doctor: "Don't do that..."
Old 09-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #19
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Something that is important here, is that because it isn't a feature, doesn't make it a bug. It makes it a feature that doesn't exist. The only way it can be a bug is if cockos coded and intended it to do what is being asked but for some reason that doesn't work. I get why we end-users might think that way and not trying to be pedantic, just noting the importance of using the right terminology so maybe a tad pedantic.

Though it is total user preference... I do agree with EpicSounds that it's usually more accurate and efficient (and prevents issues such as this), to keep certain phases of the project separate. YMMV
I agree that "not feature" does not mean "bug", but my point is that there is an implied relationship between the grid in Reaper and the grid in Reatune. To the end user, they APPEAR to be referencing the same grid.

I appreciate the work arounds suggested here and I will be utilizing them in the future, but they are still work arounds for an undesirable outcome. I'd be curious to hear why this wouldn't be a universal improvement. Does this suggestion create undesirable outcomes that I'm overlooking?
Old 09-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #20
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Just use it on item takes and be done with it. This is a non issue...

Patient: "Doctor it hurts when I do that"

Doctor: "Don't do that..."
The classic forum response of "why would you want to do that?" or "just don't do that". I'm always confused when I see comments dismissing a forum posters question, concern or idea by someone who seems completely uninterested in the topic.

Keep this comment in mind whenever you request any modification of functionality. Just stop wanting do the thing you want because the program doesn't currently do it! Very zen!

As mentioned in another comment, I appreciate these work arounds and will be using them, but I don't see how IF Reaper could make Reatune's drawn notes data somehow related to the master grid (say via making them hidden automation data... or some other way!) why they shouldn't do that. It seems like a win for people like me, and it doesn't seem like a lose for people who don't care.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
same thing happens with Autotune and Melodyne in any daw pretty sure. How is the plugin supposed to know you moved something in the arrange view?
That's a good question. I assume since this is a unique situation where the plugin is made by the DAW, that they could do things like apply the tuning data to a hidden automation lane or something. I'm not totally sure, but you're absolutely right that this is a huge problem for autotune and melodyne. Melodyne is especially bad, though recently I hear that there is some DAW integration with Studio One that allows it's tuning to work more dynamically than in other DAWs.

Before switching to Reaper and discovering how cool Reatune was, I was using Gsnap (Freeware pitch correction) and automating the notes on and off for this exact reason. Cumbersome, but once I was finished I could chop and slice on the arrangement grid as much as I wanted.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #22
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but having fx on every items is less CPU intense because each instance is only active while the said item is playing. So it's actually less intense then slapping Reatune as an insert plugin on every track.
I am also curious about this! I hope someone can chime in here.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #23
EvilDragon

It definitely might be less impact on CPU since it's only processed as the item is played, BUT as a counterbalance it will consume more RAM, because each instance of ReaTune needs a chunk of it.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #24
heda

Plugins are not designed to know what happens in the arrange. The arrange can be different depending on the host. However if Cockos wants, it wpuld be possible to make some kind of special reatune lane that would be integrated in the arrange. It would be nice.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Plugins are not designed to know what happens in the arrange.
With ARA, they would know. Even Cockos has their AudioAccessor API which would allow that sort of thing. It doesn't seem ReaTune is using it, then? (I could be wrong about that.)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #26
explodingPSYCH

Any hope for a Reatune update that allows it's automation move with items or adjustments to the timeline?
Old 08-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #27
beyond

Yes! +1

Just a simple command inside ReTune for shifting all your edits in time manually will do for now.

Otherwise, if you try to add, say a couple intro measures to your song, there goes all your edits destroyed!
beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #28
Wissti

If we could at least select multiple points in Reatune and paste them in another instance at cursor location.
Wissti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #29
Cosmic Pig

To save much farting around I copy the track and name as work track, go through and comp, edit, then tune manually. Then I glue it, click off all efx except reatune, and apply efx.

That way I can copy paste or whatever with the tuned vocal, but I still have the original handy with all the takes unedited. I can still play with eq and compression while mixing.
Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:54 AM   #30
kmchen

Default Apply Track/Take FX to items as new take

Right click on Item > Apply Track/Take FX to items as new take

do the thing for me
kmchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #31
boneycur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchen View Post
Right click on Item > Apply Track/Take FX to items as new take

do the thing for me
I just tried this and it didn't work for me. I moved the item after applying FX and the ReaTune corrections did not follow it. ☹

I ended up going with Option 2 in the following post from another thread in this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Option 1

Items have their own separate FX chains. This method will require redoing the cortrections.

Select (click once on) the media item itself (rather than the track panel). Press Shift E (lower case) and the FX chain window will open for that track. Insert Reatune there and make your corrections. The FX will move with the item.

OR

Option 2 - with this method you won't have to do changes again.

Set all other FX in the track FX chain, except ReaTune, to bypass. Right click in the track's control panel and choose one of the Render options. The ReaTune corrections will now be written into the actual media item, which can now be moved around as you wish. Put other FX back in as you wish.

Last edited by boneycur; 10-09-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Add more information
boneycur is offline   Reply With Quote