Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
HJS-Studios
Human being with feelings

Default IMac OS X 10.8

Hello all,
I like to switch with Reaper from WinXP to a new iMac, but I'm still not shure if I should go for it. As an Linux Friend I don't really like windows. Never the less I like to have a most reliable and rock solid Reaper system. I have read a lot of statments for both systems inside the forum, but I'm still not shure which way to go. I think I tend to a Mac, even Reaper was not running bad under XP, but maybe you can give me a final clue? Thank you very much for your opinion!

Hans
HJS-Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
TimOBrien

Rock solid here under Lion (10.7)

If you get a new one, it'll likely come with Mountain Lion (10.8); dont sweat it.
ML is not really that major an upgrade.

Personally tho I will not be upgrading for a while.
I have a personal preference (and old IT habit) to NOT upgrade to a new OS, Win or Mac, until its been out 6 months or more.
Let the unpaid beta testers, sorry uh 'early adopters' take the grief of any bugs. When everyone says 'all clear' I'll upgrade.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
HJS-Studios

Thank you TimOBrein! I think I will go for a Mac. I got one last question, would you go for a i7 Processor or do you think the i5 is enough? I don't have a UAD at the moment, so every plugin needs CPU-Power. On the other hand 200 Bugs more is a lot of money...
HJS-Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
TimOBrien

The i5 is more than enough for me but it's going to depend on how many plug you run.

Much more important to max out the ram and have separate audio and sample library drives.

After that, if you have some extra money left over, sure pop for the i7; it can't hurt and will future-proof your setup for a few more years.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
EpicSounds

I run i7 27" iMac and it is rock solid. Buy extra RAM off Amazon.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
TimOBrien

I'll make my recommendation: OtherWorldComputing has great ram prices and videos on how to pop them in yourself. My 8gb kit (for 12gb total) was less than $50 and came in the mail just a few days after I ordered it. Good people.

My Glyph drive (I'm a huge fan of Glyph drives, no other mfg will give you data recovery under warranty, they are bloody fast & quiet and my other Glyph has been running for 4+ years with zero problems) I did get off of amazon from 17th Street Photo; it also arrived fast and well packaged. Been very happy.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
moondoggie53

Default Mac

My only problem with Apple is they lump updates too close together, which is only a problem with hardware. Many vendors still don't have upgrades for Snow Leopard, 3 OS before. I'm thinking of reverting to Leopard.
moondoggie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
moondoggie53

Default and...

Of course, max the Ram in anything. But be aware of how many processes are running; kill updates, and time machine, and everything you're not using to record (safari, pages, any antivirus.) See EVERYTHING.
moondoggie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggie53 View Post
kill updates, and time machine, and everything you're not using to record (safari, pages, any antivirus.) See EVERYTHING.
One of the great things about getting a brand new computer with good specs is that you don't have to do that anymore like we had to only a few years ago.

i7 with 12GB of RAM and lots of apps open is no big deal.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
maxxpower18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
One of the great things about getting a brand new computer with good specs is that you don't have to do that anymore like we had to only a few years ago.

i7 with 12GB of RAM and lots of apps open is no big deal.
Hell, even i5 with 8GB RAM is no big deal.
maxxpower18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Reaper has the best performance under Windows, I think you should be aware of that.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper has the best performance under Windows, I think you should be aware of that.
While this seems to be the general opinion, I don't actually agree. I use Windows extremely rarely, but when I do, I find the usability a bit rough conpared to Reaper running on OSX. A straight plugin performance test may ofcourse give opposite results, my opinion is based on how the UI behaves.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
EpicSounds

Quote:
I did bootcamp on this iMac with Win7 64 ultimate. There was a small performance increase, scrolling was a bit smoother but not enough to want to stay on Win 7 since performance on OSX was already exceptional. I uninstalled it same day.

The weird thing was that the intermittent iLok issue I was having on Lion, even after a clean install had been fixed by installing and uninstalling Win7.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
TimOBrien

Quote:
Zero problems here on EITHER platform.

(I think you can have programs running crappy on either one and it's going to depend on a gazillion variables, day of the week, angle of the wind, etc...)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
EvilDragon

Tim, I didn't say there were more problems on any particular platform, just what Justin himself said somewhere IIRC, that Reaper has better overall performance on Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
While this seems to be the general opinion, I don't actually agree. I use Windows extremely rarely, but when I do, I find the usability a bit rough conpared to Reaper running on OSX. A straight plugin performance test may ofcourse give opposite results, my opinion is based on how the UI behaves.
Whether you agree or not, as I said above, I was just saying what I remember The Man Himself said.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
mrelwood

Quote:
I was just saying what I remember The Man Himself said.
I know I know, I don't mean to argue. I wonder how much time ago Justin said that?

Anyway, I don't think the difference is nearly big enough for anyone to base their computer purchase decision on. If the OP "doesn't really like Windows", THAT is a good enough reason not to buy a Windows PC ever again.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
danfuerth

They both have their good's and bad's and I will leave at that.
I prefer windows XP over anything else, been running it for 11 years straight, and software then worked still works even new ones on the same OS.
However since my idea of the services made it into windows 8. Windows 8 is now what Vista should of been. The services idea is old, as it is how I have been running XP for 11 years now ( first beta january 2001)

All my apps run with a customized batch before the app runs. All major apps like Audio Daw, video editing. The batches disable certain services catored to the app. I don't know of anyone that runs their apps this way.

At least I sent off the batches to Microsoft and they listened.
I am now at rest!!!
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #18
maxxpower18

Reaper works just fine on both operating systems, though I have to admit that it does work just a tad bit better on Windows 7.
maxxpower18 is offline   Reply With Quote