Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
scarlton
Human being with feelings

Default Steinberg Houston plugin

I'm working on a plugin to support the Houston control surface, so I'm looking for people who have a Houston and would be willing to test and provide feedback.

I realize there won't be many people here who still have one, but I know there are a few anyway. It's a decent surface, so let's get it working with Reaper.

Also many thanks to inthepipeline for capturing some of the Houston protocol and making it available here, it's been a good starting point for the plugin.
scarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlton View Post
I'm working on a plugin to support the Houston control surface, so I'm looking for people who have a Houston and would be willing to test and provide feedback.

I realize there won't be many people here who still have one, but I know there are a few anyway. It's a decent surface, so let's get it working with Reaper.

Also many thanks to inthepipeline for capturing some of the Houston protocol and making it available here, it's been a good starting point for the plugin.
Hi Scarlton,

That is awesome news!! On a related front I have also made some strides converting my HUI into an mcu! And if ur houston Reaper csurf imolementation is better than available csurfs for MCU..ill turn it into a houston! Wow..things are starting to converge^^
I am no coder ..i just convert the midi messages with bomes. Which makes me think..Why not ..dont get pissed banned.. "standardize kinda" the Reaper end and convert any midi spittin box into whatever standard u say?

A lot of these boxes are alot alike..8 faders ..transport...buttons..dispaly..as u know its just a mater of the "midi alphabet". I hope i am not being naive..but to my eyes that helps EVERYONE.
But I defer to u ..its ur baby after all^^

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
[...] Which makes me think..Why not ..dont get pissed banned.. "standardize kinda" the Reaper end and convert any midi spittin box into whatever standard u say?

A lot of these boxes are alot alike..8 faders ..transport...buttons..dispaly..as u know its just a mater of the "midi alphabet". I hope i am not being naive..but to my eyes that helps EVERYONE.[...]
I think we already more or less agreed (on that HUI docs thread that you started) that it would be a good idea to standardize/share where feasible and practical. I'm all in favor. And I'll also be following this thread with great interest, although I don't have a Steinberg Houston.

But, to be clear, the approach that I hinted at does not need any further standardization on the REAPER end - it just taps into its existing features. As I explained in that other thread already, imho the difficult part is not about making some standardized list of MIDI CC# numbers and channels to use, but about making some standardized or ideal UI, which involves having to make choices of a much more subjective character.

Perhaps we should make something like a feature comparison chart/map for different protocols/models, so it's clear how much features they share, whether and how much their implementation differs, etc., so we can more clearly see what scope there is for some kind of uniform abstraction layer.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
strinxx

Default Woooohoooooo!

I AM HERE!!!!!

Please pick me for testing!
Oh please please!!

strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I think we already more or less agreed (on that HUI docs thread that you started) that it would be a good idea to standardize/share where feasible and practical. I'm all in favor. And I'll also be following this thread with great interest, although I don't have a Steinberg Houston.

But, to be clear, the approach that I hinted at does not need any further standardization on the REAPER end - it just taps into its existing features. As I explained in that other thread already, imho the difficult part is not about making some standardized list of MIDI CC# numbers and channels to use, but about making some standardized or ideal UI, which involves having to make choices of a much more subjective character.

Perhaps we should make something like a feature comparison chart/map for different protocols/models, so it's clear how much features they share, whether and how much their implementation differs, etc., so we can more clearly see what scope there is for some kind of uniform abstraction layer.
Hi banned,

i getcha. But the bigger picture..now that im neck deep in this shit^^...is how Reaper hadles multip[le control surfaces to set up a system.. im thinking the way logic does it. try runnin an mcu a hui an a houston..once that csurf is finished^^gl scarlton... whhich faders are going to do busses? which are all hust chnl strips?

I cant see of any way to achieve this kinda system..and banned they dont have to be the expensive stuff...just insert what ever csurf supported controller u want that u can kick^^...without a "Super Shell" nativily coded in Reaper.

gotta gig..cyas

Guido

The link to the logic stuff in depth...
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Log...urfaceInfo.pdf
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
strinxx

Hey Scarlton,

how is it going...? Any progress in sight...?
Please don't be mad with me, I just can't wait to give my good ol' Houston a try with Reaper.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Hi banned..

I think thats a great idea. I cant wait to see ur finished system in action.U know we are saying the same thing. There has to be a system which allows for user configurability. Im puttin my money on you.

guido
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
scarlton

Just uploaded the plugin to the stash. This is an alpha release, and as such not all functionality is supported, and I'm not responsible if it steals your lunch money or kicks your dog, etc.

What's there:
Faders, panning, banking, display text, select/solo/mute, transport, jog wheel. I intend to put together a quick document describing the functionality available, hopefully get that out this week.

What's not:
Number pad, and pretty much any button that is Cubase-specific and doesn't map directly to REAPER functionality. I think this is where the Houston is problematic, and this plugin being useful will ultimately depend on making these buttons user-configurable, but also providing intelligent defaults. This is where I hope to get the most user feedback.

https://stash.reaper.fm/12480/reaper_houston.zip
scarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
strinxx

This is soooo cool!
Just great! I'm gonna check this out tomorrow and get back to you.
I remember, I managed to get all functions of the number-pad done with bome's midi translator (Cubase)....not the most elegant solution, but it worked.
Not even Steini provided everything. More tomorrow.

Thank you so much for this!