Old 03-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Select Envelopes under Edit Cursor (Track or Take)

I can't find any actions or existing scripts that simply select an envelope that's under the edit cursor. We've got them for under the mouse cursor but not under the edit cursor.

I realize there have to be certain conditions like "selected track" or "selected item".

With this old brain of mine I might have missed something, so please tell me it that's the case.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
mpl

All envelopes are under edit cursor at every moment of project.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
All envelopes are under edit cursor at every moment of project.
Thanks mpl, what I'm talking about is activating the envelopes under the edit cursor, I can't find any way of doing that. I did find a work around for my situation for now, but is seems strange to me that there's no way to select (activate) envelopes under the edit cursor right now.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
nofish

Well, unlike tracks or items there can only be one envelope selected at once, so in case edit cursor crosses multiple envelopes which one should it select?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Well, unlike tracks or items there can only be one envelope selected at once, so in case edit cursor crosses multiple envelopes which one should it select?
Hi nofish, that's what I meant by selected track and selected item. Of course if there are 2 or more tracks selected with 2 or more items with envelopes aslo selected in the same position it wouldn't work. However, it could stipulate first selected track, that would narrow it down.

I've had a need for this on many occasions and have managed to create work arounds, but it makes for added actions that can make things confusing.

Here's a video showing a situation where i could have used the ability to directly select envelopes.

https://youtu.be/gup0XcNapmI
Old 03-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Here's a video showing a situation where i could have used the ability to directly select envelopes.
I don`t see still why you need to select envelopes (as well as soooo many unnesessary actions to do seamless loops). If you want to edit envelope curve, you can do it fo first item, then propagate it to others. This although will requre from you to temporary place items from one lane to other track and run Item: Propagate to similarly-named items on track. There could be a script to propagate envelope edits to items same named on same track but placed in same level in free item positioning mode, though.

Last edited by mpl; 03-10-2019 at 10:02 PM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
I don`t see still why you need to select envelopes (as well as soooo many unnesessary actions to do seamless loops). If you want to edit envelope curve, you can do it fo first item, then propagate it to others. This although will requre from you to temporary place items from one lane to other track and run Item: Propagate to similarly-named items on track. There could be a script to propagate envelope edits to items same named on same track but placed in same level in free item positioning mode, though.
Thanks mpl, I used that video just to give you an idea of what's involved, however it doesn't begin to show all the variants that can pop up with each sampling project.

That's okay, like I said, I've got work-arounds for this. For example, using my custom actions I can simply add the Take Volume envelope right when I need it, then it's already selected.

Anyway, thanks again to you mpl, along with all the other scripters who've helped make Reaper the great DAW that it is.