Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Adrenochrome
Human being with feelings

Default Dark Rock - "Follow In Her Light"

I've been working on this song for a quite while and have just updated the mix, sort of a dark "anthemic" rock piece. Please give it a listen and let me know where it could be improved or if anything is sticking out as horribly "wrong." Keeping perspective on your own work is so very, very tough.

https://soundcloud.com/machinery-of-...w-in-her-light
Adrenochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
msundh

There's a lot of fighting going on here The vocal have trouble getting thru.
I also Think the drums are too low.
I'm a rookie at mixing so I'm not sure if it is EQ'ing or side chaining the guitar that needs to be done.
Great song anyway!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
jalan

I love the way this started, but to be completely honest, the vocals killed it for me (sorry). After they come in, it's harder to hear/focus on the music, but I got the sense the drums, or at least some of the tom accents, were a little off time…? It also seems like this could use a heavier guitar tone considering the vibe of the song.

The loop stuff was cool though. Liked the bass tone as well. Overall, the mix seemed fairly balanced, just not sure on some of the tones/performances. Just my two cents.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Adrenochrome

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate both of you taking the time to make them.

Yeah, there might be a little too much going on at once in there, which makes everything have to be thinner and smaller to fit (such as the guitars, which are savagely high-passed and notched-out).

My timing certainly isn't robotic. I'll check out those tom fills and see if I can nudge them a bit.

My voice, unfortunately, is my voice. Was there anything in particular that put you off, or was it a stylistic thing?

Bass tone -- there's a sub-bass synth part during the choruses snuck in underneath it an octave down. I don't really notice it's presence until it's not there. It seems to add quite a bit of authority to it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
jalan

Vocal performance seemed loose and pitchy, but that may be a stylistic thing, so feel free to disregard. Vocal production could maybe use some compression to even it out and some EQ to help it sit a little better. Again, just my two cents.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
Adrenochrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalan View Post
Vocal performance seemed loose and pitchy, but that may be a stylistic thing, so feel free to disregard. Vocal production could maybe use some compression to even it out and some EQ to help it sit a little better. Again, just my two cents.
Thanks, that's helpful. I didn't tune the lead very much (reatune and vocal slides don't seem to get along for me very well), it probably needs more work. The backing vox are quite hard-tuned, so that may show up the lead's deviations more.

Compression, rides and EQ are an eternal challenge. Next time!

Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
smueske

Mix-wise this seems pretty balanced. I like the infusion of more electronic elements (such as the intro, and at the three minute mark). The drums kind of sway off time from time to time, but I'm not sure what you can do about that. Also, for my tastes, there's too much effect on the vocals. I'd back off on the length of the delay, too, but I think it should be automated more (to come in at the end of lines) so that it's not so obvious in the middle. It also occurred to me, although I don't know if you'd be up for this, to add some bit reduction to the vocals at times (this would "dirty" up the track a bit and also add to the ambience). Overall, I think this was well-produced and very enjoyable. Really, the only things that stood out to me were the drums and the vocals. Certainly an excellent amalgam of different genres working well together.
smueske is online now   Reply With Quote