Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #41
sightlessness
Human being with feelings

Who cares what? lol

Honest I wish Reaper's creator spilled the beans, because I don't like changing and changing and changing and trying and trying other stuff.
I wish I knew Reaper 6 was coming and how it looked like so that maybe I could've just stick to Reaper.
For me I feel I am playing Nintendo or Super Nintendo games in a FHD or 4k monitor... that's for me a big let down... Cheers.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #42
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Who cares what? lol

Honest I wish Reaper's creator spilled the beans, because I don't like changing and changing and changing and trying and trying other stuff.
I wish I knew Reaper 6 was coming and how it looked like so that maybe I could've just stick to Reaper.
For me I feel I am playing Nintendo or Super Nintendo games in a FHD or 4k monitor... that's for me a big let down... Cheers.

Just use both. And if 6 comes around and is what you want get that too.

Sorted!

You're welcome.

I actually took a look at the Studio One video yesterday because of this thread..it looks great I might give the demo a shot. I like the idea of the dockable step sequencer and built in drums.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:06 AM   #43
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Don't you remember the "Tired of REAPER" Presonus Social Media campaign ? (there was also version about CUbase if I remember well)

I made a comic strip about it :P
(and another about its resolution)
Still my favourites of your comix!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 AM   #44
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Justin,

"we might go to 6.0 before 5.99, or we might get to 5.99 and 5.991, anything could happen!"

https://www.askjf.com/?q=4060s
that is awesome !
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:07 AM   #45
beingmf

Will Reaper version 6.0 be called "Mueller Report"?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #46
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
What makes you think people will remember that name, or even President Drumpf for that matter by then?
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #47
Coachz

I tried Studio One hoping that VCAs would automatically control send values but they don't

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #48
Skijumptoes

Depends if your sends are pre/post fader surely? Just like any other DAW.

If pre fader, then of course sends will remain as that's how you have it set up - totally independent of the fader of each track.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #49
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Depends if your sends are pre/post fader surely? Just like any other DAW.

If pre fader, then of course sends will remain as that's how you have it set up - totally independent of the fader of each track.
They are post fader but it didn't work in Studio One when parent tracks had their faders moved. Child sends didn't move.

Coachz Repo
Old 03-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #50
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Maybe... "Bueller Report" ?

Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #51
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
They are post fader but it didn't work in Studio One when parent tracks had their faders moved. Child sends didn't move.
The way I understood VCA - it shouldn't.

It's impled by the change of the fader the VCA control, that amount through send change in proportion to that - just like a manual move of fader would.

Value of send, or proportion of send is the same.

If send is -6dB of post fader, this relation stays the same. But factual audio change in proportion of fader change.

My problem with Reaper implementation was that you don't see fader move either - you only see change on meters suddenly do over or similar.

And no nested VCA's in the true meaning in Reaper. At least not what I could get in v5.4. This obscure matrix of checkboxes is not that easy to manage and predict outcome of all this master slave stuff.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #52
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
The way I understood VCA - it shouldn't.

It's impled by the change of the fader the VCA control, that amount through send change in proportion to that - just like a manual move of fader would.

Value of send, or proportion of send is the same.

If send is -6dB of post fader, this relation stays the same. But factual audio change in proportion of fader change.

My problem with Reaper implementation was that you don't see fader move either - you only see change on meters suddenly do over or similar.

And no nested VCA's in the true meaning in Reaper. At least not what I could get in v5.4. This obscure matrix of checkboxes is not that easy to manage and predict outcome of all this master slave stuff.
Agreed. They should. When I tested Studio One though post fader sends didn't follow parent folders. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

If Reaper devs could make a pref:

[x] Child sends follow parent faders

then I don't think I would need vcas. I started with the stealth sends which work well for me but still think the pref would be much more elegant. I also found the Reaper VCA implementation way to non-intuitive for me to use.

Coachz Repo
Old 03-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #53
sightlessness

Right now just getting the gist of it. Imported a midi file and tried the Acoustic Piano... wow... better than my Spitfire Hans Zimmer one... loooool. Honest, for what I wanted a piano in this song... oh yeah... not even Cubase 10 has a piano this good. Ofc, tastes differ...

Whoa some shortcuts are like Cubase... nice...
Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #54
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by child sends, are these sends which receive from other send returns?, or sends within a parent group of tracks?

I find Studio One quite logical in that if the fader changes (be it via VCA (Actually is a VCF?) or manually) any sends contained within when set post fader, will be adjusted proportionally as the fader determines the level BEFORE the send amount.

Even if there were child tracks with nested sends, they will only receive a proportionate level of the parent signal surely?

If you're nesting VCA's then that's not something i do, so would explain why i've not noticed an issue, so apologies on questioning this. But now i'm asking the question i want to know more.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #55
Coachz

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by child sends, are these sends which receive from other send returns?, or sends within a parent group of tracks?

I find Studio One quite logical in that if the fader changes (be it via VCA (Actually is a VCF?) or manually) any sends contained within when set post fader, will be adjusted proportionally as the fader determines the level BEFORE the send amount.

Even if there were child tracks with nested sends, they will only receive a proportionate level of the parent signal surely?

If you're nesting VCA's then that's not something i do, so would explain why i've not noticed an issue, so apologies on questioning this. But now i'm asking the question i want to know more.
It's been a few months since I tested. I think I had folders like this below with VCAs on Guitar, Electric Guitars and Acoustic Guitars with sends on the Guitar tracks 1-4

Guitars
...Electric Guitars
......Guitar 1 --> Post fader send to Reverb FX
......Guitar 2 --> Post fader send to Reverb FX
... Acoustic Guitars
......Guitar 3 --> Post fader send to Reverb FX
......Guitar 4 --> Post fader send to Reverb FX
Reverb FX

Coachz Repo
Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #56
Skijumptoes

Ah gotcha, that's interesting - thanks for the explaination, i may have a try with that later and see what results i get, as that's a workflow which looks quite neat if it works.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #57
Coachz

Quote:
Ah gotcha, that's interesting - thanks for the explaination, i may have a try with that later and see what results i get, as that's a workflow which looks quite neat if it works.
Yeah, I tend to use different eqs and compressors on the Electric vs Acoustic guitars so I like to put them on their parent folders.

Coachz Repo
Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #58
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Why not?
I 2nd that
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #59
Jimmy James

Quote:
The lower price of the high end software attracts a much wider userbase. And also becomes appealing to those who previously pirated software because of the "its too expensive" reasoning.

Personally speaking, i've never seen so many people running legit software than i have in the last 2-3 years. Now, that may be with growing up so the people around me are more mature and understand the value of software more.

But i put much of it down to better, more affordable pricing/options.

Look at Adobe when they went monthly subscription with creative cloud - so many people are on the photography bundle who previously torrented photoshop and adobe are making billions from it. Adobe suite was something horrendously expensive and out of reach for many.

Presonus too have great revenue and growth based around their audio software, as good as v4 is it's not a huge jump from v3 yet many people happy to move with the upgrade because of their great pricing. Steinberg are the same with Cubase, which other than Avid is probably the most expensive out there, if you want to stay up to date?
^ This I agree with 100%, and not just because it agrees with my original statement. What he says about folks running legit, I have had the same experience.

If I had a bunch of make believe friends with home studios or small studios. I bet only 1 of them would be using pirated software.

That same group (lets say of 7) four years ago, would have been 4 of 7. If you ask that group why/how they managed to go with all legal software, pricing will be the answer.
I don't agree with "It cost to much so I steal it". But that is just the reality of the situation.
When you look at the overhead and product margins, there is plenty of headroom. Software is always going to be more profitable than hardware. And it won't even be close.

If you look at Waves. They have cut their prices to a fraction of what they use to be. And they are still making a huge profit margin. No matter how people feel about Waves. I believe they led by example and forced the industry to follow.

A company can make a lot more money by selling for less. Because they move more units. They now are in more studios. They are in more music. They are in more ears. They are in more pockets.

The pricing trends we have seen in the last few years has helped everyone. And I hope it continues with this trend.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote