Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Default EQ on "soundcard" before Reaper Yes/No/Maby? :)

Aloha.

So, I am getting used to my new monitors and when i listen to music in general on them, i boost the 60hz little bit and lower the 30hz the same amount of 'notches' and i am happy with that, most music sounds great and clear, only that tiny uncomplicated boost is necessary and i am a happy camper.
The monitors are the Yamaha HS7 and i don't have the sub for them yet btw.
Also i wanna have the same feel of the bas that i am getting used to when listening on them with music i general, thats why i keep it on the same when Reapering.

So to my question.

Is pre-EQ'ing a bad thing in general maby in techical terms, 'pro' terms, scientific terms?
So, using your EQ on the soundcard or other gear before Reaper to boost the bas a tad, is it bad?

Of course i will mix/master in Reaper like everyone else after that.
I am happy as is with the results and all that now but, it would not supprice me if this is "wrong" and i can get even better with another strategy?
Something like that, thoughts?

Ps. Wish HS7 had a knob for bas on the back..
So, is anyone here using any kind of bas booster, recommendations?

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-20-2013 at 03:29 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
Win Conway

Over the years quite a lot (Probably most) engineers have EQed/Comped and so on on the way in to the recorder, the main reason for this was because it was next to impossible to have all the outboard you wanted running (Even the biggest studios in the world can't afford unlimited hardware)

However what you seem to be talking about is more of a treatment of the monitor than to change the actual recorded sound itself, Just use monitor FX on the master so whatever treatment you do is not rendered into the audio itself.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
SmajjL

Hi gpunk_w

Yes i have consitered putting an EQ on the master and go flat on the EQ on the soundcard.
But that doesnt seem practical to me because then i would haveto use that VST EQ on my musicplayer also and what else have we.
The soundcard EQ is atleast all in one place and everything is getting through that cards EQ.
I wantto have it identical as when i'm listening to music in general as i am currently developing my "getting used to muscle" for my monitors/enviroment.

But if noone directly object! to the way i am doing it now using my soundcards EQ permanently then i shall continue, for now.

I am about the sound of the monitors since it lacks little bit in the low for my taste, if it had a bas knob, i would tweak it abit, now, i haveto use what ive got and i prefeer having one EQ in one place that affects everything.
I do have a Behringer Ultrafex II that maby will work for my needs, if it still works.. but then i would haveto use it also when i am just casualy listening to music which feels hmm unecessary.

For example, i don't wantto use Behringer for Reaper and Soundcard for general music as i wantto get used to the sound of my monitors developing my listening muscle.

If my monitors had a basboost on 60hz i would use that of course only but, what is the differance of using that versus the soundcard EQ 60hz for example? or any other hardware that could provide the same.

Also, i'm really thinking that a sub could actually help me solve this completely since then atleast i have more controls over the lows and i suspect Yamaha intended this and therefor did not add a low hz knob on the monitors.
Sounds great if that solution was free of charge.

Anyways, for now.. So, there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with doing this EQ-thing and this is not uncommon thing to do anyway? am i getting this right? say yes.

Ps-btw, the monitors handle low bas well and you could have a party with them, it's just that you need a little boost to taste.
Also, they are flat and clear/detailed and since most music i trow at it sounds good in %, something must be Ok with them then.
So, i would not even dream of EQ'ing anything else except the 60-thingie when listening to music.

Ps2. Also, this is more of an mythbuster question that i would like to have busted by you guys.

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-20-2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spell that! SmajjLhead.. :)
Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
G-Sun

If you know what your doing it's totally aceptable to have an eq between Reaper and your monitors (software or hardware). This include master fx, but that's not a preferred solution.

As a general rule, no eq pre Reaper.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
SmajjL

Yeah G-Sun.

I trust my ears anyway and i notice the results anyway on other speakers/phones later on so i learn and adapt no matter what i doo, i'm forced to/no choice. so we agree there i think.
That said, should i go All flat right now as we speak, that would easy translate in a way to bassy mix as an end result and boosting that SC-EQ little bit will force me to go down on the too much bas and/plus! i will actually hear and notice the low end way better when i sweep the EQ in Reaper When, i have the SC-EQ on.
I seem to be consistent atleast when i mix so i will know where the bas boost needs to be sooner or later and, if the results is satisfactory well, if it sounds good it's good?
Would i change to the Behringer or what ever other then SC-EQ to compensate, then i would need to trial and error abit for sure, but i will end up with the sound i have now.

- As a general rule, no eq pre Reaper. -
I need to know Why even if it might be obvious to you.

Is an EQ after Reaper better then? if yes, Why?
If the monitor would have an built in 60hz knob say, would that be better even than the (after Reaper EQ)? if yes, Why?

Feel free to hop in people! i find this interesting.

Ps. No fighting though!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
G-Sun

You can use eq pre-Reper if
- You have a good sounding hardware eq
- You are changing the tone of one track for a creative or corrective purpose.
and
- if you know what you are doing.

On the other hand, you seem to be talking about correcting your monitors/listening-environment.
Then, yes, eq pre Reaper is wrong, as you'll print your room-correction to your mix. Another listening environment may call for different eq.

I'll suggest
- Eq on soundcard for your monitor out
or
- Harware eq between your soundcard and your monitors
or
- Roomcorrecting devices like KrK Ergo
or
The most sensible solution is adjusting settings on the monitors. That's why they are there.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

The advice above is good. The ideal, I guess, would be to use a monitor system that is actually flat down as low as you feel necessary, treat your room so that the bass coming out of that flat system stays as flat as possible in the air, and get used to the way your reference material sounds on that system. Any "corrective" EQ is kind of a workaround. But maybe you just like a little more bass. Nothing really wrong with boosting the low end on the way to the monitors just for personal taste, I guess, as long as you're careful to be sure this boost isn't pushing your soundcard or (much worse) monitor amps into distortion. The meters in Reaper won't show you the effect of your soundcard's EQ. It'll show you what you're recording, but it won't tell you what's getting sent to the monitors.

I guess maybe it hasn't been explicitly said, but that soundcard EQ almost definitely happens after Reaper. It's pretty much the last thing that happens to any audio on its way out that hole, and won't have any direct effect on what's being recorded. As mentioned above, that's the way you want it. You defintely don't want to add bass to your recordings just to satisfy your playback system.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
SmajjL

Thank you guys!
I am abit worn out and lolled in the head atm, i will continue to challenge your knowledge tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #9
SmajjL

Mr.G,

Well as i mentioned, the Yamaha HS7 don't have a knob for the lows, not the one i would like though.
It has EQ: HIGH TRIM switch (+/- 2dB at HF) / ROOM CONTROL switch (0/-2/-4 dB under 500Hz)
I get more options if i go buy their sub to match like the HS8S and that has a level knob atleast so.

I am using EQ now because of the lack of that knob yes, guess you could say that, but not because of the enviroment/room and what have we.
But i know that having them in a smaller room makes them sound "boomier" but that is not really what i need or why i boost the EQ now.
Good thing is that there is no need for any funny business like sweeping or stuff like that, just plain straight up 60hz will due and i go down with the 30hz just because i just raised something.

I just bought a keyboard and i am bringing some old dusty gear forward bacause of it, i will try to have a listen on the hardware solution also.
And i was suppose to get rid of as much hardware as much i could... *doh*
About your EQ thoughts, is that about the fact that some EQs "color" and some don't? in that case i hear you.
Is hardware EQs always better then software or soundcard EQs in general?

-----------

ashcat,

I promise, i am using the EQ as minimal as i can, i am not doing it to make the walls shake, only to help out in that little erea where the HS7 could use a little help.
The HS7 can handle it and Then some, kinda *doh* why Yamaha did not add that knob.. whish they did.
So.. since it does not have one and i obviously need/want one, what product would you get as a replacement for that if say i don't have any EQ at all at home, not even on the soundcard. ?
Like i said, it's only "60hz up/"30hz down so that would only require one knob? no need for anything fancy, just quality, and don't forget the pricetag! lol

Also, i understand the room/enviroment and good/bad treatement that this affects things.
My question is about EQ only straight up, so forget about the other factors for now.
Just emagine i am in the studio of perfection, im only asking about the use of an EQ.
No bas adding for the recording, just the missing knob EQ for the speakers itself at the final stage and what EQ or method would be the best.

All that said, i will take in all you have said around it and i will experiment more with the things as placement and rockwool and all that stuff later i am pretty sure that erea can be improoved.

Now i am curios about trying an hardware EQ, your fault!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
G-Sun

A pro studio would roughly approach it this way:

- Adjust monitor-position
- Adjust monitor eq, if any
- Solve problems with room-acoustics
- Insert a monitor eq
-- Harware graphical
-- Hardware custom
-- Room correction tool (like KRK Ergo)
- Use software eq on soundcard/modul

(In this priority)
Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
SmajjL

Alright Mr.G, thank you! that is useful knowledge right there.
I am little pleased though that noone has atleast yet said "directly" that an EQ is totaly forbidden.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Jeffsounds

Nothing is forbidden in this game. "If it sounds right, it IS right" is our mantra...
Old 12-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Also, i understand the room/enviroment and good/bad treatement that this affects things.
My question is about EQ only straight up, so forget about the other factors for now.
Just emagine i am in the studio of perfection, im only asking about the use of an EQ.
No bas adding for the recording, just the missing knob EQ for the speakers itself at the final stage and what EQ or method would be the best.
Yeah, cool. Add all the bass you want.

The best method would be to use speakers that can actually reproduce those low frequencies that you're looking for. 60Hz is really difficult for about any nearfield monitor you might pick up. You can sort of fake it by pushing more power at that frequency (like you're doing with your eq), but it will only go so far... So, yeah, I think the best solution is just plain bigger speakers.

Next best is hard to say.

Adding a sub has advantages and disadvantages. It will definitely get you more bass, and probably give you finer control over that low end content.

And monitor EQ is a perfectly reasonable way to do it also. Please don't be cavalier about what those speakers can "handle" though. I'd imagine they're safe with anything you can give them up to 0dbfs in the DAW, but who knows how far past that they can go? IDK what kind of music you're normally listening to, but a lot of modern commercial music sits right at 0dbfs for most of the time. So then you add 3 or 6db on top of that, and what happens? Something somewhere distorts. Now that might not blow your speakers across the room when listening at reasonable levels, but you'll hear that distortion, and you might end up chasing your tail in mixing or especially mastering when you hear that little crackle and can't find where it's coming from. Worse yet, when you crank up those monitors for the Big Wow, they might actually be in danger of damage. So, I suppose in this case the whole "cut better than boost" is probably your safest bet. A shelving cut above 60, with an LPF somewhere below will do about the same thing you're doing with that boost at 60 in a possibly more "polite" way. This could also be a passive solution, for whatever that's worth.

Of course, that's assuming you're adding a hardware EQ of some sort after your DAC. There's no way that a software EQ can cause you to put out more than 0dbfs (ignoring "intersample overs"), but it definitely can clip the DAC by asking it to try. So, the high shelf/lowpass thing is probably still better than the boost. I would prefer the software method for my own self, because it's so much more flexible, and noiseless, and most importantly because you could use something a bit more sophisticated than what your soundcard manufacturer decided to bundle with their drivers and get linear phase response.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Nothing is forbidden
+1. You are the boss in your life.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
SmajjL

ashcat! woah! thank you, lovely reading and effort.

So, i will try to ask questions since i am fearless and curious to no end.

As for the distortion you are talking about, my first thinking is the obvious that most people should be able to hear pretty easy, like for example, the broken speaker effect or something like that, surely it can't be that you mean then?
So, are you talking about "meassurable" distortion which shows up in analyzers or is it just plain logic of math how the laws of "nature works?
I am having a hard time in getting the distortion of the obvious kind though with my method (since i don't abuse it) .. but .. ..

I can notice that the rest of the EQ register starts to get weaker/lower when i push my luck, like turning the level down in some way effect (weak/bad) think many is familear with that effect also and when that happends, i step back as i am alergic to that stuff.
So, if that kind of effect qualify as a "distortion" as you mention it then i am tempted to think/say that, OK then i "should" have a little bit of free space to use my 30/60hz EQ on my setup then.
Theory of course.. by ears, not based on technical facts skills which i respect and lack.

Lowering EQ when mixing technique i know, but doing this as a solution for my speakers i am not sure if it sounds like a good idea to me just by instinct impression.
Let me explain:

So say, if i use that trick at the end just before my monitors instead of my 30/60hz thing right? when i later mix, i am going to use that technique also anyway, so would not this solution cause problems/conflict with that mixing technique also just like my boosting 60hz thing affects my mixing also, only that, my 60 thing sounds good to "me" so ive "heard"

Like for example, now when i boost the 60hz and then mix yeah?, i will be forced to use less boost in Reaper and i will end up in a better mix (so i think) even if i break rules what ever plus i am finding it easyer to hear whats going on around 60 which is also the point of my behaviour. (so i think)
So, would not the lowering technique also affect my mixing in the same way in choosing how i lower stuff, i might lower stuff less and end up with a too little of that in the end results.

Also, your lowering suggestion, would that be on a fixed spot like "my" 60hz boost?
Because the higher i get when sweeping in general, the easyer it is to hear, that is, i only have "problem" with 60'ish and not the rest.
So messing with other than 60hz will "sounds" to me like i will mess with things that is not broken kinda feeling.
Thats why the lowering thing puts me of at first thought, it might work though! just saying.

I'm afraid i have neighbours i was about to say, but i am mixing at low levels at all times exept for the times i want a quick feel of what is what when playing loud.
If you are saying this is common amongs all monitors my size and below then that will atleast make me feel better.
I would haveto get used to the results memorize and develop experience simply then i guess? i can live with that..

All of the above is thoughts, i doo get what you are saying and i am digesting it slowely.
Thank you for teaching me stuff, i am getting more confident in my head now.

----

Jeff & Mr.G, i love your way of thinking and i wish everything was that simple believe you me.

Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman breaks myths for a living and makes mistakes all the time, they correct them with the help of observers and questions/ing also i believe.

I prefeer Your version though..

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-21-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Another coffee drinker here and no need to answer all my thoughts, it's ok. ;)
Old 12-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
karbomusic

To be honest, until you actually measure the room response you have no idea what it actually needs. Not only a static snapshot in time but also which frequencies ring and for how long as they decay (IE: waterfall plot). Thus, you'll only be making it sound good to your ears which is going to screw the mix up for every set of speakers outside of that room.

Secondly, EQ can typically only smooth out the small remaining inconsistencies (after fixing the room) but it can do nothing for 95% of the issues created by the room itself. Until, you know what the actual response is and why, you are flying blind.

Quote:
If a room has a 10 db dip at 300 cycles because there is an axial mode issue at that frequency because of the physical size of the room, then adding more energy with an equalizer at that frequency, will only add to the problem. If you keep pouring energy into a hole in the frequency response curve all you get is a deeper hole. One can apply the same rational to bumps in our room response curve. Bumps in our room’s frequency response occurs because frequencies bounce up and down upon themselves in phase as a direct result of the physical dimensions of our rooms.

Ref: http://www.acousticfields.com/equali...oom-acoustics/
Fun to mess around with though; I learned an awful lot by experimenting.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-21-2013 at 12:06 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
ashcat_lt

As for distortion, any time anything fails to swing as far as it "wants to" for whatever reason, it's distortion. If you ended up clipping the input circuit or amp in the monitors in any meaningful amount it would probably be a harsh kind of crackling noise on transients.

But it almost sounds like there's some sort of limiter circuit protecting your monitors. That might be why when you "push your luck" it seems to get quieter. It would distort, and possibly hurt the speakers themselves, but it turns the whole thing down instead to protect itself. That's just wild speculation, but it's my first guess re: that particular symptom.

What I was trying to say is that it is probably better to turn down everything but 60Hz (or wherever you feel you need that bump), which is the same thing as turning up 60Hz and then turning the rest down, except I think better for the reasons I outlined previously.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
SmajjL

Hi Karb.

What is required to know for sure if the place (what you've got, room) is optimal atleast, forget the word perfect.
Just so anyone can feel that what they have is utilized atleast and i believe that is enough for many.
Also, surely the ears count for something and most of us do listen on the final results on other speakers/enviroment sooner or later aswell.
We are thinking "home studio" here btw aren't we? not cinemas or concert halls and eum what else have we.
Just thinking as i see an image before me,
Ive never ever even on TV seen a "pro" mix/master and looking at measurement instument Only and blocking the ears, quite the opposite actually, they might pretend though, not sure as i have never seen a pro live in action.

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-21-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: oops
Old 12-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
SmajjL

Ashcat,

In Reaper i have set default to have all faders to -3 and i assume i will always save the loudness thing for last when i am finished and i am digital so, too low and using the volume knob is no problem.
The limiting effect then was just an example if i would go crazy on purpose pushing my luck, and i was just trying to discribe different kind of "distortions" or bad sounding problems in general.
I don't have the limiting problem or distortion as far as i can tell on any speaker with the end result.
But since it's my ears and some others and not measuring equipment that is the judge, i wouldn't know for sure nope.
That was good that you emphesized Everything so i woke up, then it sound like a plan suddenly.

Thanks Ash.

Edit:
Also, i love your "fails to swing" word because i find having words for different things very useful so i have more things to "notice" when i listen for stuff, i will borrow that one from now on, thanks.

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-22-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
SmajjL

Alright, i'll try to recycle this thread abit with a similar eum "point"..

This time it's about the output signal of the "soundcard"/USB/FW and what have we, and think (line out) (no volume knob) vs the opposite.

My steps for now, say if i just unboxed the monitors and soundcard:

1: All plugged in, power on, drivers installed ready to go.
2: Lower everything just for safety, put on Winamp and play my One favourite tune in the whole wide world that does not exist, default volume on Winamp btw.
3: Set the monitor at twelve a clock where the click is and then find out that my soundcards main volume is Way! to loud even at 10/100%.
4: Thankfully my SC has a seperate play/record place so i keep the music playing, have the main volume knob still set at 10/100%
then i go to the seperate play option and lower the volume down-down juuuust until i hear the sound "pop"-gone no sound at all.
5: Then i am sort of using common scence "feeling" on having the SC main volume knob at 15'ish for mixing (unfatiguing quiet) or how to explain it.
5b: With this i am comfortable in raising the main SC volume knob how i see fit, in a responsible way of course. lol

Note: I am not going for 1/100% on purpose for some reason, instinct? anyways, there you have it.
And btw, i am using an Asus Xonar Essence ST for the record.

So! does anyone have any comments on volume'etized soundcards vs line-out things if we have 'em.
Objections, thoughts, other methods, things to be observant about, measuring tools, "better" choice of future soundcards bad/good, doo this/don't that.. and maby 20 more things i might come up with by tomorrow, like for example what to look for at the "specs" of a soundcard before buying, if stuff like that matters today.

My hope is for you (experts) to get something More to discuss and for us (no names) to get some reading.
Sometimes a discussion can lead to something unforseen also, if good outcome, great!
If all fails (no discussion) and noone object to my little "checklist, then all good and then atleast the newcomers might have something usefull to read.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
grinder

I prefer to have the eq done later
This Album was done later
Grinder

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevemaitland
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Push_It

Unfortunely it is impossible to equalize room problems away. They relate to your position in the room and will change as you move around thus making equalization ineffective. The best plan is to add some bass trapping to your room corners.

All the best with doing some remidial acoustic treatement, this is the way to proceed.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
grinder

Out of interest Push_it
How big do you reckon the area was that this albom was recorded in?
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevemaitland

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
SmajjL

@SmajjL..

Here is a theory that you don't even need today or, maby tomorrow.
About the Asus blabla ST.
When i choose "plain" ASIO (Asus "drivers") in lack of a better word in 3sec, then the Asus softwares EQ is impossible to use (inactive) all goes "flat" and the volume goes woah!"to much, so i am forced to use the OS mixer kinda and/or the DAW.
Maby this is Asus way of saying, hey! This IS your damn "line-out"! now go find another thread to create, moron..

Old 12-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
ashcat_lt

Ideally you would run your line out at unity and use the monitor's volume control to set the actual listening level. If 12 oclock is too loud then turn it down! This is gain staging and it's for noise purposes. You are adding some noise between the computer and the monitors. The bigger the actual desired signal in that line is, the less you have to turn up the noise in order to get a decent level. In general, we want to get all the gain we need as early in the chain as possible.

OTOH - If you're not having noise problems and that V control on the computer is more convenient for you, then it's not really a problem. This all happens in the monitor chain, and won't really affect the recording itself, unless that noise is masking something in the recording that influences your decision.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #26
SmajjL

ash!

Before i bought the monitors and knew what soundcard i was gonna use, i was abit worried about what ever rumours i have in my head (usually internet blips) but as usual, i am the final boss to judge what is what so i did not buy extra "better" cables, for now/then or worry about that it is, a "PC soundcard"..
So first thing i did when i got them fired up was to listen for anything that is not silence.

I was also at the time extra "out rumoured mentaly/not facts" worried also because on top of it all, i am using (cheap) RCA > XLR cables, but it worked/s! and i could not hear or provoke any noise that we are speaking of for (normal) usage, so all good for me.
But one thing that is bad whith the RCA > XLR is that that i can catch up my neighbours telephone calls, you knoooow what i mean.. i am not a CIA agent no.

ach, i respect you so, when you say "ideally" i am beeing extra pulled along with your mentioned advice of that maby i should do that then, and i am usually good at making counter-questions but this time, i am still waiting for that to happen.. lol (what the?.., so i must try your suggestion. thanks

Could you clarify what you mean on the (unity) thing on the line-out in this case/my scenario, say it in an another way for (dummies) just for clarification as i think, "assumption is the MOAF"
Maby, Leave it alone at it's defaults maby and only mess with the monitor/DAW/Winamp/VLC but Never Asus vol knob?
As i mentioned before, i was comfortable in the way i am now, this new way i am not, yet. lol
And the only thing i mean by that is the feeling of melting some connections on the monitor, i'll get over it i guess.

So, reading the end of your letter, i am pleased to hear i can fall back into my old behaviour if i choose so.
It's like you are saying it as simple as, if you hear no problem, there Is no problem just as long as you have some sensible instinct.
Thank you ash!!

Ps, I have another question soon for you guys and as usuall, i could Google stuff up myself and what ever yes, and get lost in translation maby, but i would like the Reaper-version from You thank you very much if you know anything about it, and prefeerably an updated answer based on 2014, yep yep.

Thanks again ash.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post

Ps, I have another question soon for you guys and as usuall, i could Google stuff up myself and what ever yes, and get lost in translation maby, but i would like the Reaper-version from You thank you very much if you know anything about it, and prefeerably an updated answer based on 2014, yep yep.

Thanks again ash.
Cancel that, found a thread about it on Reaper forum, puh.
So what was my question?!? you ask, not telling!
*me runs for my life! with a dedicated group of Reperians on my ass/tail*

Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #28
ashcat_lt

NP!

By unity I mean just that, really. A 1V P2P input should give you a 1V P2P output. I wouldn't bother trying to measure or meter that, though. Rather, just leave Reaper's Master fader at 0 (this is unity, 0db gain), and try to figure out where that same 0db gain is on your other applications and the soundcard output. That might be all the way up, or just a bit short of all the way cause some will actually add gain at the top. Especially with consumer grade products like your soundcard, it's tough to say exactly what they think they're doing. I guess if there's like a mark or line next to the virtual volume knob it probably denotes the unity setting??? Actually, when you switched to the straight ASIO it's running flat EQ at unity, so set the volume to be about that loud and then turn down at the monitors.

But yeah, like I said any damage you do after the signal leaves Reaper won't get recorded, and as long as you're not hearing inordinate amounts of noise or noticeable distortion (pretty much the opposite extremes of gain staging issues) you're fine.

The title of this thread bothers me. Maybe we covered it before, but that EQ in your soundcard's software is definitely after Reaper, not before.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
SmajjL

Thank you ash.

You are one Heck of a teacher++ and i am one Heck of a "student!+/- haha
As for the title.. yes that "problem" sound familear to me also.. i have a way of doing that and on top of it all, i now tryed now to recycle it with this..
I am happy with your post #7 & #13 if you are ash.
You perfectionist you.

If anyone has thoughts or addons for the discussion made so far, including ash about his own post, feel free to voice it, p l e a s e.

Ps, i have learned that the mods love to make me learn by my misstakes, crying and begging don't help, ive tryed. *joke!*

"the next day, edit" Tack så mycket!

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-29-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Good enough to say it in Swedish :)