Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #41
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

The hardest thing about learning Reaper is exploring all the possibilities.

It's truly ridiculous.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #42
bigwoody

Wacky me, I thought that was the best thing! Utter genius.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #43
hopi

good idea ..what bigwoody says
Old 05-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #44
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoody View Post
Wacky me, I thought that was the best thing! Utter genius.
I meant ridiculous in a great way. lol
Old 05-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #45
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
It's per item, not per track.

Preferences > Projects > Default > Loop source for imported items (top left)

for existing tracks select all (ctrl+a), F2, "All at once" (pop up dialog), disable
loop source check box top right.
what if you never ever ever ever want items to do that
Old 05-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #46
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viacom Army View Post
Awesome! Just made a cut tool using the action button you told me about. A nice straight dotted line the runs vertical as a cursor to show me exactly where I'm cutting. Thanks for you help on that.
how do you get the dotted line to appear?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #47
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
what if you never ever ever ever want items to do that
Properties->Project->Defaults->disable both "Loop source..." options
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
joeymusicguy

audio end point behavior needs to change

you shouldn't be able to extend past file length

if you really need to make an item longer than it was, add silence like every other DAW. (and please don't try to tell me this is important to reaper's uniqueness. its just plain weird and useless! you can double click anywhere on in track space to create empty items and glue those to existing audio to make longer items!)

thats what everyone else has to do

this could cause people to make really bad decisions during the editing process. if you were fading in and out vocal breaths on vocal takes and you had not known that one of the takes was stretched further than the actual file length, then a regular fade out will reveal a "chopped off" of ambiance during the fade because the fade would extend past actual audio data.

this is really stupid behavior, and very non-musical.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #49
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Properties->Project->Defaults->disable both "Loop source..." options
thank you!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #50
EvilDragon

Quote:
this is really stupid behavior, and very non-musical.
Not really. If you use item FX, adding length to audio items is good to make reverb or delay tails come through (you know, if you want to emphasize one hit or one word like that), since item FX is running ONLY for the length of the item. If we weren't able to lenghten the audio item, we wouldn't be able to use reverbs as item FX.

And yes, item FX is one of those things unique about Reaper. I doubt this will ever change. Live with it
Old 05-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #51
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Not really. If you use item FX, adding length to audio items is good to make reverb tails come through, since item FX is running ONLY for the length of the item. If we weren't able to lenghten the audio item, we wouldn't be able to use reverbs as item FX.

And yes, item FX is one of those things unique about Reaper. I doubt this will ever change. Live with it
same as adding silence.

doesn't make sense for regular audio edits

how can we keep track of every item end if reaper doesn't do it for us?

do you suggest we write down the length of every item? lol
Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #52
EvilDragon

No.

I simply don't have any problems with the way this is now.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #53
zoid9

Quote:

I don't just live with it, I love with it
Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #54
Viacom Army

Quote:
how do you get the dotted line to appear?
I made a cursor that appears whenever you enable the action button. It's nothing special and it doesn't lock to the grid and stuff like that as it would in Nuendo, but alas, I made a cut tool.

Drop this in your cursor folder and it will work if make that custom action.
Only problem is it will be the cursor for EVERY custom action as far as I know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/316466/Reape...rmedaction.cur
Viacom Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #55
Viacom Army

Quote:
Not really. If you use item FX, adding length to audio items is good to make reverb or delay tails come through (you know, if you want to emphasize one hit or one word like that), since item FX is running ONLY for the length of the item. If we weren't able to lenghten the audio item, we wouldn't be able to use reverbs as item FX.

Well, that would make sense I suppose. I've not gotten to the "item effects" part yet, so to me it doesn't make sense yet. Sounds like a good idea though. I don't think this function is a big hang up (the weird dragging past the file that is), at least it snaps and has that indention in it to show you it's the repeat part.

Don't mind me, I'm just learning and adapting.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #56
Sigilus

joey, it's not useless.

Say I drop in a kick drum sample. Just ONE sample. I can drag it to the right and have a bunch of them. I can replace a few when I want to, but the idea of quick loopability is there and IS useful.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #57
Kenny Gioia

IMHO, the best way to learn Reaper is not try to make it behave like the DAW you're used to.

Learn Reaper's way first, and if it won't do it for you, THEN try to make it behave the way you're used to.

There's a lot about Reaper that is just plain better.

And if you make it behave like a lesser DAW, you're not really getting the most of it.

Again, it's just my humble opinion.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #58
hopi

+1 to what kenny says.... that is the KEY to getting into reaper IMHO.... I had the same 'mind set' prob at first... but then.. OMG... Reaper IS Deeper...

today I was watching some tutorials that included showing how one would do one particular thing in a few diff DAW's.... [think PT, Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc.]

I haven't been back into any of those for some time now... but it brought back the shutters! I was just shaking my head as I watched, and thinking how much nicer it is to work in Reaper....

You, know... I tried to show some of reaps to a friend who only uses PT on a mac... and he had a really hard time with learning the simplest things in reaper..... why? BECAUSE he kept looking for all the convoluted, complex crap he thought he had to do! He couldn't get his mind around how straight forward it was.... funny no?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #59
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
joey, it's not useless.

Say I drop in a kick drum sample. Just ONE sample. I can drag it to the right and have a bunch of them. I can replace a few when I want to, but the idea of quick loopability is there and IS useful.
No, the useless part is being able to drag the right edge of an item that has loop mode turned off.

Its just fucking empty data!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #60
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
IMHO, the best way to learn Reaper is not try to make it behave like the DAW you're used to.

Learn Reaper's way first, and if it won't do it for you, THEN try to make it behave the way you're used to.

There's a lot about Reaper that is just plain better.

And if you make it behave like a lesser DAW, you're not really getting the most of it.

Again, it's just my humble opinion.

Good luck.
Yeah I'm just trying to get standard audio behavior, nothing huge.

I can open 50 programs that all work on this manner. Reaper doesn't. Sorry for expecting some sort of standard everyone....
Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #61
Viacom Army

Well, I am already noticing things I like better that are faster, etc. I was just trying to set it up real quick to get rolling so I could do a couple projects on it as I learn. I'm pretty busy here with clients most days, and I can't be sitting here scratching my head for ten minutes at a time trying to give it "real world go" til I get all my basics down.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #62
hopi

I can understand that... pressure of clients and projects, etc.

At the same time, I think to be fair... one can't really expect to just pop open the box and rock and roll....

I use a lot of tools, not just on the computer... and very few of them work that way... there is always a learing curve for each new one, even with a lot of experience from other tools and methods that I already know about... for me, that's just how I've come to expect it.

I hope I can offer some encouragement for reaper.... except for the external wav editor [I like Audition on the pc and Peak on the mac]... I don't have much need to open any other apps these days... neither need nor desire...

It has taken quite a bit of learning inside reaper and that continues daily.... but I am definately 'over the hump' at this point.

So... hang in if you can and I think before long you will find it worth the effort.

I do know that when I first started using reaper, I was doing things in much more difficult ways than do today.... mainly because of how we can set it up to our own wishes... It takes some time to get fx and fx chains set up, toolbars, and to make a few custom actions so we can rapidly do things we want to do.

On the other hand, looking back on past experience with other DAW's... I can only wish they offered the customizations that reaper offers... hahahaha in their 'dreams'!

Also to be fair, ...none of them are perfect.. including Reaper... but the development changes in reaps happen so often and so fast compared to others, it is just astounding. It may become 'perfect' this week or the next... hahaha... but it's plenty useable right now, IMHO.

And OMG... the user community is like nothing else!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #63
rennect

Quote:
Is there a way to have the beat divisions for the snap feature as a drop-down in the transport instead of buried in a menu system?
You can create buttons for this in Floating toolbar (press F and customize it)

rennect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #64
joeymusicguy

i guess i'll use more hard drive space and record much longer than i ever intend to cut so that i won't accidentally scroll the right edge too far past where audio doesn't actually exist...

thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #65
EvilDragon

Now you're really being dense.

If you want "standard" behavior, ProTools is that way. Enjoy.

Reaper is making new standards in DAW world. You might as well get used to it.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #66
neteqx

Quote:
i guess i'll use more hard drive space and record much longer than i ever intend to cut so that i won't accidentally scroll the right edge too far past where audio doesn't actually exist...

thanks!
Hi Joey, I understand what you're saying, but I think this feature is actually pretty cool and quite necessary to have when using item fx. Reverb tails, as EvilDragon mentioned earlier, and other time based effects would be cut short if you couldn't extend the end of the item. If we wanted to get picky even eq's will extend your waveform since they spread signals over time as well. (Not something to worry about though in practical terms. )

A good solution I believe for avoiding using extra hard drive space and driving whoever you're recording mad LOL would be to look for the small notches near the end of your items if you're not sure where the original waveform ends and where the silence starts. Reaper will even snap your edits to the notch if you need to do so. Hope this helps.
neteqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #67
hopi

my grid divisions floating toolbar...

includes multiply and divide by values of 1.5, 2 and 3 and most of the normal divisions one would think of...

btw, while experimenting with this, I took the 1/128 grid and kept multiplying the divisions by 2... I stopped somewhere at about 1/65,000 something [you do the math].... yeah, so... no need to tell that is a finer grid division than I'd ever use... just interesting that reaper's math is there to do it and show it...

...on a more practical note... you could set the grid to show the actually divisions for ticks... or close enough,just in case you had a situation where you really needed to adjust accurately to ticks and be able to see a reference to it... not too shabby.

Last edited by hopi; 06-01-2010 at 03:12 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #68
neteqx

I must add that it's important to render your fadeout to your audio file before extending the end of the item and/or adding time based effects (as item fx) to it. Because if you don't (pleas correct me if i'm wrong) you could be potentially adding fx to a waveform that doesn't end in a proper fadeout. Or also what I do is to extend the item, split at the notch, and assuming I have autofades on, glue both items together.

Hmmm, this brings up something that I'd like to see in a future Reaper update. Hope this isn't too off topic, but since this would help me love Reaper even more, I think it'd be cool if when extending an item fadeouts were kept at the end of the original waveform. No need for the fade at the end of the section of silence.
neteqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #69
bogo

Quote:

thanks!
I don't get it. I never accidentally extend the right edge too far...

Last edited by bogo; 06-01-2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: spelling
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #70
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neteqx View Post
Hi Joey, I understand what you're saying, but I think this feature is actually pretty cool and quite necessary to have when using item fx. Reverb tails, as EvilDragon mentioned earlier, and other time based effects would be cut short if you couldn't extend the end of the item. If we wanted to get picky even eq's will extend your waveform since they spread signals over time as well. (Not something to worry about though in practical terms. )

A good solution I believe for avoiding using extra hard drive space and driving whoever you're recording mad LOL would be to look for the small notches near the end of your items if you're not sure where the original waveform ends and where the silence starts. Reaper will even snap your edits to the notch if you need to do so. Hope this helps.
you dont need any features to use item fx that require time extension to sound proper

you can just make some silence then hit glue

i'll deal with the notches, but the looping thing is not a feature i'd ever use. a lot of people do production and editing like i do, you just duplicate the region... its pretty basic stuff. but i understand reaper wants to be different. its just a non-impressive different. its like that weird kid at school who totally could be cool, but avoids it on purpose just because. i also understand that not everyone works like i do. but i've never in my life seen anyone using this feature until here haha. i've also seen similair complaints against features like these on other messageboards for other products. so i know im not alone.

Last edited by joeymusicguy; 06-01-2010 at 03:33 AM.
joeymusicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #71
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neteqx View Post
I must add that it's important to render your fadeout to your audio file before extending the end of the item and/or adding time based effects (as item fx) to it. Because if you don't (pleas correct me if i'm wrong) you could be potentially adding fx to a waveform that doesn't end in a proper fadeout. Or also what I do is to extend the item, split at the notch, and assuming I have autofades on, glue both items together.

Hmmm, this brings up something that I'd like to see in a future Reaper update. Hope this isn't too off topic, but since this would help me love Reaper even more, I think it'd be cool if when extending an item fadeouts were kept at the end of the original waveform. No need for the fade at the end of the section of silence.
fade outs are real-time applied

in otherwords, non-destructive

if you want the fade out to be permanent and a part of the item its self, then you render / bounce / whatever
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #72
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogo View Post
I don't get it. I never accidentally enxtend the right edge too far...
do you have looping on? that's probably why.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #73
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Now you're really being dense.

If you want "standard" behavior, ProTools is that way. Enjoy.

Reaper is making new standards in DAW world. You might as well get used to it.
sorry man, i just strongly disagree with not having the option

especially when almost all other daws function like this, it should at least be an option.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #74
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennect View Post
You can create buttons for this in Floating toolbar (press F and customize it)

really cool! im going to do this!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #75
joeymusicguy

Quote:
Well, I am already noticing things I like better that are faster, etc. I was just trying to set it up real quick to get rolling so I could do a couple projects on it as I learn. I'm pretty busy here with clients most days, and I can't be sitting here scratching my head for ten minutes at a time trying to give it "real world go" til I get all my basics down.
sorry for sorta hijacking your thread. all the best!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #76
EvilDragon

It seems your opinion is kind of outnumbered around here... a lot of people like this Reaper's behavior.

I have no disrespect for your opinion, but what you're suggesting is a step backwards IMHO.

Also, please use Edit button instead of multiposting the hell out of the thread. You also have a MULTIQUOTE button to quote several posts at once (to the right of Quote button)!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 AM   #77
joeymusicguy

Quote:
It seems your opinion is kind of outnumbered around here... a lot of people like this Reaper's behavior.

I have no disrespect for your opinion, but what you're suggesting is a step backwards IMHO.
to be clear, i'm only suggesting that we have the option for behavior like this. there's nothing wrong with options, reaper has plenty in every area. just not this one.

... do you have any idea if this could be accomplished with extensions? i would hire and pay a programmer to do this for me if possible.
Quote:
Also, please use Edit button instead of multiposting the hell out of the thread. You also have a MULTIQUOTE button to quote several posts at once (to the right of Quote button)!
yeah, sorry about that. you're right, and thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by joeymusicguy; 06-01-2010 at 03:46 AM.
joeymusicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #78
EvilDragon

Quote:
... do you have any idea if this could be accomplished with extensions? i would hire and pay a programmer to do this for me if possible.
You could try Reaper Bounties, although I think this is perhaps not possible to do with extensions. However, I could be wrong.

http://www.reaperbounty.tooshka.com/news.php
Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #79
Evan

Quote:
You also have a MULTIQUOTE button to quote several posts at once (to the right of Quote button)!
And I wondered how that was done...
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #80
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
+1 to what kenny says.... that is the KEY to getting into reaper IMHO.... I had the same 'mind set' prob at first... but then.. OMG... Reaper IS Deeper...

today I was watching some tutorials that included showing how one would do one particular thing in a few diff DAW's.... [think PT, Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc.]

I haven't been back into any of those for some time now... but it brought back the shutters! I was just shaking my head as I watched, and thinking how much nicer it is to work in Reaper....

You, know... I tried to show some of reaps to a friend who only uses PT on a mac... and he had a really hard time with learning the simplest things in reaper..... why? BECAUSE he kept looking for all the convoluted, complex crap he thought he had to do! He couldn't get his mind around how straight forward it was.... funny no?
Very true.

When I set out to make these new tutorials I was planning on making them for Pro Tools users. Showing them how to do Pro Tools type operations in Reaper. But as I delved deeper I scrapped the idea completely. You have to think differently. And that's a good thing. You don't appreciate Italy by comparing it to France. You just appreciate Italy.

I was mixing in Pro Tools yesterday and I needed to add another Reverb so I stopped and thought about my QuicKey for adding a stereo aux track. I forgot that these extra things need to be thought about again. I wanted to just add a track. LOL.

Quote:
No, the useless part is being able to drag the right edge of an item that has loop mode turned off.

Its just fucking empty data!
Did you read what he said about reverb tails?

I would agree with you otherwise.

Quote:
Yeah I'm just trying to get standard audio behavior, nothing huge.

I can open 50 programs that all work on this manner. Reaper doesn't. Sorry for expecting some sort of standard everyone....
I completely understand where you're coming from. The initial learning curve is surprisingly hard from such a simple program. But like learning typing, you need to take a few steps back before you can move forward.

If they put all the options in Reaper to make it behave like other DAWs, many users would just use them. And you'd never get the benefit of the better concept. You'd still be grabbing all those tools. It's a bit paternal but sometimes parents do know best. LOL.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 06-01-2010 at 07:16 AM.