Old 04-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #41
manning1
Human being with feelings

hedgehog..re needs.
well, i got loads of mics / mic pre's.
even make my own mic pre's that are v clean.
what i weould like to do is if a firewire mixer would let me record say 10 mics max....each to its own track.
i like the firewire mixer idea as everythings integrated, but i'm worried bout convertor quality versus a hi spec sound card like an RME for example.

yep will be recording mum.
she's as fit as a 50 yr old. no cane etc.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #42
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
well, i got loads of mics / mic pre's.
even make my own mic pre's that are v clean.
what i weould like to do is if a firewire mixer would let me record say 10 mics max....each to its own track.
i like the firewire mixer idea as everythings integrated, but i'm worried bout convertor quality versus a hi spec sound card like an RME for example.
I'm really happy so far with my M-Audio FireWire 1814. It has 8 x 24/96 TRS inputs, which might work fine with your Mic Pre's. Haven't done any "serious" recording with it yet, but it works flawlessly for me with REAPER.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #43
Hedgehog

Quote:
What about the Mackie Onyx?

or is that more than you are looking to spend?

The cheapies Samson Behringer ect I might worry a bit about the quality but I haven't heard them.

Quote:
yep will be recording mum.
she's as fit as a 50 yr old. no cane etc.
Good to hear, sounds like it should be a fun project. My mother is 80 and gets around better than many people 25 years younger than her as well. I guess you have the excuse to buy some nice gear now, only the best for mum!
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #44
manning1

thanks malcolm/hegehog...
i'm also looking at the new yamaha firewire mixeers.
but dont know much anout them.
my mic pre's work with other products so they will work with anything with a standard audio line input.
basically its a trick, the mic pre i build.
ultra clean cos it uses the same ultra low noise transistor you would find in a mega buks console. a mat02 from analog devices instead of yer common ten for a buk transistors you would find in cheap mixers...lol
ive looked at the onyx but still have a bit of a bad taste from a vlz i used once. which i found harsh in the eq.
i wish someone made a cheap box with 10 line inputs that did the a to d conversion with good convertors and sent the 10 mic channels over firewire to be recorded on 10 seperate tracks on the pc. then also had 10 outputs to take 10 groups out of the pc over firewire for stem mixing plus a stereo mix out from pc over firewire. looks to me like the maudio might do the job.
linear technology have nice op amps and analog devices to make cheap summing mixers. if you want to build a nice clean cheap summing mixer 10 X 2 , you just need a few op amps for each input channel and the stereo sum at the end of the chain.

yep only the best for mum.
i'll be a basket case when i loose her.
everyone else in her generation on my side and my wifes side have gone now. been a bad 10 years.
its the cycle of life.
wrote a song about it...had lots of play on the net.
songs called "Whole of London town is Cryin".
done in a small studio that helped me a few years back useing that vlz i dont like much.
masters a bit noisy cos it was a tape dub to mp3.
cos i didnt want to drag the master out of the bank.
if you fancy a listen its at www.motagator.com/bmanning
i just enjoy writing songs..lol.
i'm kind of crazy cos one minute a metal song next mor and next a coutry one...lol. lotta fun.
The london town one is MOR genre.
any live drummers out there wanna play on some tracks for laughs ?? i also need a gypsy violinist for a new song.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #45
Hedgehog

Quote:
thanks malcolm/hegehog...
ive looked at the onyx but still have a bit of a bad taste from a vlz i used once. which i found harsh in the eq.
I've used analog Mackies more than I would have liked, the eq kinda sucks, the micpreamps are nothing to get excited about. The Onyx is supposed to be somewhat better however.

Quote:
i wish someone made a cheap box with 10 line inputs that did the a to d conversion with good convertors and sent the 10 mic channels over firewire to be recorded on 10 seperate tracks on the pc. then also had 10 outputs to take 10 groups out of the pc over firewire for stem mixing plus a stereo mix out from pc over firewire.

I guess it depends exactly what you mean by cheap.

Most of the boxes out there firewire and otherwise have eight analog inputs so that's a tough requirement.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote