Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #41
hopi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Thanks Hopi, looks like it does the screen shots, and alot more!

Thanks, KC
yes a lot more

bookmark *************** and get an account [free] upload the screen shot to it and it will give you various kinds of links, 'direct', 'forum', etc.

copy the forum link into your post and that post will show your image...

also look into LICECap...

http://landoleet.org/licecap/

it will capture a gif 'movie' loop of action on the screen...
Now to preview that for yourself, you will likely want Irfran View... not all image viewers will show an animated gif...
Irfran View is good but when installing it pay attention and uncheck any of the extra offers...
When it is installed you can just drag and drop any LICECap gif onto it to see if it is what you intended... IF not, toss it and do it again...
Suggest you make a unique folder to save your LICECap gif's into...
Old 06-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #42
KeithC

Man Hopi, everyone is so helpful, but without you, and Darkstar, and G-Sun, and all the others, I'd be just another old analog guy, lost in a Sea of 1's, and 0's! LOL

BEST REGARDS, KEITH
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:05 AM   #43
KeithC

Okay guys, I'm almost there, I THINK! Yesterday I installed my 18i20, and the MixControl, and Plugins suite. It only took me about 6 or 7 hours to get the plugins to show up in Reaper, and license them,(I'm so windows 8.1 illiterate!!).

Now questions.
Mixcontrol: is that a stand alone program I just bring up when I want to change the routing, or does it need to be installed in Reaper as well?

Can someone send me a link to show me how to set buffers, sample rates, etc.? top right of Reaper screen shows latency of 20ms/30ms, and I know it's something in the settings that are causing such high latency.

I bought this PC off the shelf, and while it is very powerful, with an i5 4440 quad core processor running at 3.1 ghz, 3.4 in Turbo, 2TB 7200 RPM hdd, 8 USB 2.0 & 4 USB 3.0 ports with lots of DAW friendly features, problem is, it has SOOOO many programs loaded from HP. I tried PCDeCrapifier, and the only thing it detected was Reaper, hahaha!

I want to be able to use Google chrome for downloads, and web activity, and still want to have my CD, DVD player/burner. but nothing else, and I don't have a clue what I can, and cannot get rid of. Should I do a remote session with an HP tech in India,(I've yet to speak with any HP tech who even knows what a DAW is!), and tell him what I want to do? Or, is there a link someone can send me to tell me exactly what's safe to delete?

last, and the most complicated to explain is: I, for many reasons I won't go into, am tracking some things to a Tascam DP24 Portastudio MTR, that has 8 simultaneous inputs. so, I'd like to set Mixcontrol up as follows: Inputs 1-8 to output directly through to the corresponding number outputs, the 8 outputs will go to the 8 inputs of the MTR, and the inputs to the interface would be as follows: (example only!), 1. guitar, 2. Bass, 3 & 4 stereo pair from MX-61 synth, 5 & 6 aux inputs from 32"widescreen TV/Monitor, and inputs 7 & 8 will loop back to the 18i20 from the monitor outs of the DP24 MTR. there may be a better way, but that's the basic idea. I'd like all Reaper ins, and outs to go to, and from the 18i20 via the USB 2.0, and monitor all of the above through the 18i20 monitor 1L, and 2R outputs, controlling what is being monitored at any given moment by using the switches, and gain knobs on the 18i20, or by faders on the DP, or in Reaper. It's all very clear in my mind how it should work, and I hope I said it in a manner that someone understands.

I have no problem reading how to do it, or watching video tuts, but it being a bit different than most setups, it's not covered very well in the literature I've seen thus far.

Any answers to any part of the above issues will be super appreciated, and should have me well on my way to my first simple recording.

Peace to you all, and everyone, and everything you love, the biggest fan of all who give of their time on this forum, Keith "I'm getting there" Clarke!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #44
G-Sun

Quote:
Okay guys, I'm almost there, I THINK! Yesterday I installed my 18i20, and the MixControl, and Plugins suite. It only took me about 6 or 7 hours to get the plugins to show up in Reaper, and license them,(I'm so windows 8.1 illiterate!!).

Now questions.
Mixcontrol: is that a stand alone program I just bring up when I want to change the routing, or does it need to be installed in Reaper as well?

Can someone send me a link to show me how to set buffers, sample rates, etc.? top right of Reaper screen shows latency of 20ms/30ms, and I know it's something in the settings that are causing such high latency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1avPHhiGw8

20ms latency is much if monitoring through your daw. Either use mixcontrol for monitoring, or adjust latency to <5ms
("settings" under sample rate in mixcontrol I believe, or double-click the top right field in Reaper)

Last edited by G-Sun; 06-21-2014 at 06:44 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #45
KeithC

Hey G-Sun, stumbled across the settings button in Mixcontrol, and got the latency settings that show in Reapers upper right corner to 4/5 or there abouts, I had it down to 2.9/3.4 but noticed some pops, and clicks, so raised it one notch, and no pops, clicks. Now everythings hooked up, and I actually recorded some synth, but haven't learned quite how to monitor the DAW, as when I played it back, it was MUCH louder than listening through the monitors from the Scarlett's input/output. I have finally reached the point where I think I can start relying on the Users guide, and your stuff, and figure it out myself. Everyone who posted sent helpful links, but when it came to actually doing everything, I took forever, but figured the specifics out on my own, trial and error! And as far as I know, I didn't break anything! LOL!

THANKS Y'ALL, Gonna attempt my first simple recording today! KC
Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #46
G-Sun

Quote:
Hey G-Sun, stumbled across the settings button in Mixcontrol, and got the latency settings that show in Reapers upper right corner to 4/5 or there abouts, I had it down to 2.9/3.4 but noticed some pops, and clicks, so raised it one notch, and no pops, clicks. Now everythings hooked up, and I actually recorded some synth, but haven't learned quite how to monitor the DAW, as when I played it back, it was MUCH louder than listening through the monitors from the Scarlett's input/output. I have finally reached the point where I think I can start relying on the Users guide, and your stuff, and figure it out myself. Everyone who posted sent helpful links, but when it came to actually doing everything, I took forever, but figured the specifics out on my own, trial and error! And as far as I know, I didn't break anything! LOL!

THANKS Y'ALL, Gonna attempt my first simple recording today! KC
Good. Happy DAWing
Old 06-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #47
KeithC

I hope so
Old 06-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #48
KeithC

Just thought of something else I can't find.

I had my MX-61 Synth/Keyboard/controller setup in Reaper with the Steinberg /Yamaha driver, and all audio/midi went to reaper via USB cable. Now that I have a proper interface, and am using the focusrite driver, the Yamaha MX-61 no longer shows up as a connected device. Is my only way to have both devices show up changing the ASIO driver to ASIO4ALL? And will that keep my latency as low as I seem to have gotten it set? I can get the Audio into Reaper by the stereo outs of the MX, into the 18i20, but that won't send the MIDI. Would routing the dedicated MIDI IN/OUTS from the MX to the MIDI on the interface have the same effect, without changing drivers?

Thanks y'all, KC
Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #49
G-Sun

Quote:
Just thought of something else I can't find.

I had my MX-61 Synth/Keyboard/controller setup in Reaper with the Steinberg /Yamaha driver, and all audio/midi went to reaper via USB cable. Now that I have a proper interface, and am using the focusrite driver, the Yamaha MX-61 no longer shows up as a connected device. Is my only way to have both devices show up changing the ASIO driver to ASIO4ALL? And will that keep my latency as low as I seem to have gotten it set? I can get the Audio into Reaper by the stereo outs of the MX, into the 18i20, but that won't send the MIDI. Would routing the dedicated MIDI IN/OUTS from the MX to the MIDI on the interface have the same effect, without changing drivers?

Thanks y'all, KC
Normally, I'd say use midi in/out to your Audio interface.
But, maybe it's possible to use the usb as well, others might know.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #50
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Normally, I'd say use midi in/out to your Audio interface.
But, maybe it's possible to use the usb as well, others might know.
If you can get the Yamaha MX-61 to show up as an extra midi port then it should work.

However, like G-Sun says your best bet will be to connect your MX-61 Synth/Keyboard/controller to the focusrite.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #51
KeithC

So it seems that both of you believe that chaining the MIDI from the MX, to the 18i20 would in turn allow me to still get the MIDI info from the MX into, and out of Reaper. That would allow me to do things like control transport, and add VSTi tracks to Reaper from the keyboard, if you're right. I think you probably are, but I have a query in with Focurite to be sure, and to address an issue that doesn't make sense to me.
Scarlett Mixcontrol doesn't have what FR calls Loopback, that allows the internal audio from the PC, (CD player for example.), to be recorded in Reaper. I was planning on doing some Stomp box guitar effects reviews for a few big builders, and wanted to use backing tracks to solo over. However, their "Flagship" USB interface won't do this, so I have to use a 1/8" TRS Y to two 1/4" TS cables, and two of my inputs to do this now. Not a huge deal, but kind of a pain in the big toe. The 8i6 has loopback, but none of the other Scarlett interfaces have the option. Kind of cheesy IMO, but just a minor speedbump on the road to recording my dreamtracks!!!!
anyone know a way around the lack of Loopback, and still routing it internally?

Thanks for all the help, I am so close to really starting to use the DAW
I just need to do it, read, do it, read, until it sounds right, and then read, and try some more!
Peace, Keith

Last edited by KeithC; 06-23-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #52
Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookwood View Post
Greetings from another relative Reaper noob. As far as Signal Processing VSTs go (instruments are another story) Reaper has as many plug-ins as you are likely to need. They don'y look like much without the expensive 3D rendered GUIs but they are super light on the CPU and sound fantastic. Stop the madness!You can (and probably will) spend thou$ands on plugins that will be less than or equal the ones provided "free", any one of which with a schmancy facade would cost more than the personal license of the entire DAW. (Take it from someone who has two Waves ADB dongles in a drawer somewhere!)Bonus: you will tweak less and use your ears more.
Cheers-
I agree with most of this, but will offer a slight different perspective because Keith said he had a good deal of experience with old hardware tape recording...

I am not a noob anymore to DAW recording, but I started in recording studios when I was 15, 20+ years ago, so I had that knowledge of how hardware worked.

So back to the quote above, Reaper definitely has plugins that sound great, do much of what you'll need. However, when I transitioned from hardware to software, I found it so much easier to start with plugins that had familiar hardware-looking interfaces.

But yes, obviously use your ears, and yes, you don't need to spend a ton (or maybe any) money due to the generous coders out there.

In addition to some other threads above, check out this list of free plugins
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

There is a massive list of free plugins on kvraudio but that includes some that are substandard. Bedroom producer really only lists the better ones.

Many of these have GUIs that might work better for you.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #53
KeithC

Thanks a lot, that link will be heloful, but I was absolutely amazed when I finally got the Focusrite plugin suite loaded and working in Reaper, as the GUI is totally old school rack looking, and is all based on '60s, and '70s Single channel comp, really great EQ, a nice looking gate, and a very cool looking Reverb rack unit. They all have perfectly real looking VU meters, and were I to have 3D rendering, I'd swear they were real! My only needs as far as good free plugins are concerned, (at the moment!), are a good easy drum program that is easy to program fills and has lots of different beats with different time signatures, and a basic 24" Kick, Snare, two racks, two floors, hi hats big bell ride, crash/splash, nothing Fancy, but a good Classic rock kit! And a free sequencer for my synth. The MX -61 is a great synth, with tons of native voices, 60 drumkits, and a good arprggiator, but no sequencer! Maybe I'll find those two items in your link!

Thanks, Keith