Old 11-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Triode
Human being with feelings

Default v5.961+dev1103 - November 3 2018

v5.961+dev1103 - November 3 2018
  • + Linux: VST2 bridging/firewalling support
  • + OSC: .ReaperOSC parsing improvements
  • + OSC: continue loading .ReaperOSC files that have unknown action tokens
  • + linux: auto-cleanup zombie processes when not waiting for return of reaper.ExecProcess() or if jackd takes a long time to exit
  • + macOS: do not use 32-bit bridge on Mojave
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 11-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
typewriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
v5.961+dev1103 - November 3 2018
  • + Linux: VST2 bridging/firewalling support
Linux VST2, right?
Or is this bridging of WIN VST2 plugings?
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by typewriter View Post
Linux VST2, right?
Or is this bridging of WIN VST2 plugings?
Just linux VST2 -- so that you can run plug-ins in separate processes, similar to how it works on Windows (except for Linux).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Klangfarben

I'm having a pretty serious issue with the last couple developer builds on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. If I leave Reaper idle for a long period and come back to it, such as finishing in the evening and coming back in the morning, Reaper is causing my entire system to become laggy, where it takes several seconds to switch apps, for a cursor to appear when typing in a web browser or text program, etc. Everything on the system is basically extremely laggy and delayed. The minute I end the Reaper process or quit, everything is back to normal. If I do the same thing and leave Reaper open when I finish in the evening (as I usually do) and then come back in the morning, same thing. My entire system is now laggy and slow until again I end the Reaper process or quit.

The other strange thing is that once this laggy behavior occurs and I quit Reaper and the system is now back to normal, if I open Reaper again, it goes right back to being laggy. I actually have to restart the machine to get rid of it so the system is no longer laggy and delayed while Reaper is open. I go months sometimes without restarting so it must be a pretty serious issue it's causing.

I've only tried the two latest developer builds, but the non-developer pre-releases as well as any of the release versions have been absolutely fine and not caused this behavior. I wish I had more information for you but it is completely repeatable for me in these last two developer pre-releases. One thing I did notice that was slightly different in the developer installer vs the non-developer installer is that in the non-developer and release installers if you have the Rearoute Asio driver already installed and check the box to install that, you get an error in the installer saying it can't be replaced. In the developer installer there is no such error message, so maybe it's possible a deprecated Rearoute Asio driver has been installed? I'm not using Rearoute for anything and Reaper is the only application besides a web browser that I'm running so it seems unlikely but I did notice that difference.

System specs below.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
256GB of RAM
Supermicro X10DRH-CT Motherboard
2x Intel E5-2697A v4 Xeon Processors (32 cores)
RME MADI FX Audio Card
Reaper 5.961+dev1103

Last edited by Klangfarben; 11-04-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

regarding performance.

Has anyone else noticed any dropouts/crunching noises when previewing files in the media explorer in the recent dev versions? Especially there are more than a few tracks in the arrange and video.

I need to dig deeper of course and putting buffering back to default instead of adaptive/experimental helps but it seems that playing back a simple file in media explorer is pushing a 10 core cpu (at 4.3ghz) to about 30 percent and if there is something playing in the media explorer too then it hits 100% and crackles.

Never done that before till a few days back so not sure which version changed it, I recall talk of buffer settings being improved I think.

Anyone else have this?

Could be something silly though like a graphics card update so will try stuff when I get time..
Old 11-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
EvilDragon

Previewing files seems fine over here...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Previewing files seems fine over here...
Thanks for trying!

It might be related to the last Nvidia driver I installed. When I get time I'll dig a bit deeper and try a version of reaper from a few weeks back first then go from there.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 AM   #8
dupont

there shoud be a perfomance issue in the last updates.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212314
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:24 AM   #9
Yanick

Why this happens after gluing? Justin, please pay attention
Details in videos
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10aA...9smm4bY7W/view
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NZ...X3-Yv2HlrcLO9d
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ykY...Tfi8kfNF3/view

Last edited by Yanick; 11-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
Kundalinguist

Just saying "hi" to bang the rust off my Forum login and password.

Quick view of this release and others tells me: Reaper = still raising the bar on both awesomeness and generosity to its growing user base.

Nice to see such a good thing happening in 2018.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #11
Yanick

This problem is without gluing...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YnM...87YYgf9ih/view
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Zerododo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I'm having a pretty serious issue with the last couple developer builds on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. If I leave Reaper idle for a long period and come back to it, such as finishing in the evening and coming back in the morning, Reaper is causing my entire system to become laggy, where it takes several seconds to switch apps, for a cursor to appear when typing in a web browser or text program, etc. Everything on the system is basically extremely laggy and delayed. The minute I end the Reaper process or quit, everything is back to normal. If I do the same thing and leave Reaper open when I finish in the evening (as I usually do) and then come back in the morning, same thing. My entire system is now laggy and slow until again I end the Reaper process or quit.

The other strange thing is that once this laggy behavior occurs and I quit Reaper and the system is now back to normal, if I open Reaper again, it goes right back to being laggy. I actually have to restart the machine to get rid of it so the system is no longer laggy and delayed while Reaper is open. I go months sometimes without restarting so it must be a pretty serious issue it's causing.

I've only tried the two latest developer builds, but the non-developer pre-releases as well as any of the release versions have been absolutely fine and not caused this behavior. I wish I had more information for you but it is completely repeatable for me in these last two developer pre-releases. One thing I did notice that was slightly different in the developer installer vs the non-developer installer is that in the non-developer and release installers if you have the Rearoute Asio driver already installed and check the box to install that, you get an error in the installer saying it can't be replaced. In the developer installer there is no such error message, so maybe it's possible a deprecated Rearoute Asio driver has been installed? I'm not using Rearoute for anything and Reaper is the only application besides a web browser that I'm running so it seems unlikely but I did notice that difference.

System specs below.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
256GB of RAM
Supermicro X10DRH-CT Motherboard
2x Intel E5-2697A v4 Xeon Processors (32 cores)
RME MADI FX Audio Card
Reaper 5.961+dev1103
dude... 256 gb of RAM!?!? WTF...
Zerododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #13
EvilDragon

Yeah, Xeons support that.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
better not look how much his processor costs
https://ark.intel.com/products/91768...ache-2-60-GHz-
Yeah, they weren't cheap. Everything for the build was a little over 15K I think. My previous build was close to that as well. But when you compare it to a maxed out iMac Pro at around 10 grand or the Mac Pro which at the time was around the same, it's not even close in terms of performance.

I built this machine pre-Reaper switch and was also in the process of moving down from 3 machines to 1. As I was using Cubase and didn't have all the options I have now for optimizing workflow, I'd easily go over 128GB in big projects.

I doubt I would do a build like that again as Reaper has changed a lot of things for me but it has served me extremely well. Hoping to do an AMD Epyc 2 build next year and make the switch full-time to Linux.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
EvilDragon

Just a shame that base clock is so damn low. DAWs and plugins love high base clocks.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #16
Klangfarben

Quote:
Just a shame that base clock is so damn low. DAWs and plugins love high base clocks.
I'd have to double-check but I believe after tweaking the BIOS power settings, all 32 cores are running at a base frequency of 3.0GHz without overclocking.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
EvilDragon

That's still a low base clock IMHO. My 4 cores (+4 HT) are at 4.5 GHz, and heavy plugins love this (Diva, Reaktor, Roland Cloud...)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #18
Klangfarben

Quote:
That's still a low base clock IMHO. My 4 cores (+4 HT) are at 4.5 GHz, and heavy plugins love this (Diva, Reaktor, Roland Cloud...)
4 cores. That's cute.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #19
EvilDragon

But at least they run heavy Reaktor ensembles and Falcon (which are single-core only) much better than your whatever-core beast, because of the higher base clock More polyphony before you get crackling of any sort (since they can easily topple over one core if it's not "beefy enough").

But we digress
Old 11-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #20
Klangfarben

Quote:
But at least they run heavy Reaktor ensembles and Falcon (which are single-core only) much better than your whatever-core beast, because of the higher base clock More polyphony before you get crackling of any sort (since they can easily topple over one core if it's not "beefy enough").
Yes, you are absolutely right ED. I think trying to find that sweet spot between cores/speed is always best as there are quite a few things even in 2018 that have either no support for multithreading or very bad support.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...
Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #21
chucky5p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerododo View Post
dude... 256 gb of RAM!?!? WTF...
Actually, 256GB of RAM is kinda low for this motherboard. Maximum RAM capacity is 1TB

https://www.servethehome.com/supermi...rboard-review/

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #22
mschnell

A friend of mine just had heavy swapping problems when trying to use multiple instances of Melodyne in a project. So here is the solution

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #23
Shibboleth

Default BUG: Duplicate selected area of items (in midi)shift+ctrl+d Manjaro linux

not correct duplicates selected midi notes (smart duplicate)

1) if note not on first beat

Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma: 5.14.2
Qt: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks: 5.51.0
4.19.1-1-MANJARO
64-bit
Shibboleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #24
amagalma

Tracks with melodyne produce no sound when the Playback Rate is not 1.0 . Will it be possible to fix this?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibboleth View Post
not correct duplicates selected midi notes (smart duplicate)

1) if note not on first beat
Thanks, fixing, but this belongs in the BR forum next time
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote