Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-19-2023, 02:26 AM   #1
chj
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper should become compliant with the world's use of multifinger zoom gestures

I suggest the following to strongly improve the user experience in Reaper, for those users using a touchpad for their work:

Make a new setting in preferences named "Keep the way of the old for using touchpad for zooming". (I.e. Reaper zooming was designed prior to the modern touchpad now found on all laptops)

The new default is then that (e.g.) horizontal zoom is done in Reaper exactly like in other editors of various kinds, i.e., two fingers spreading gives you horizontal zooming. CTRL + 2finger gives you vertical zooming. Etcetcetc so that all modern touchpad features are implemented accordingly and as similar as possible to other editors.

WHY?

Because the whole world is used to the modern touchpads, and then, when you go into Reaper, it is in your automated finger behavior and you start behaving just like you do in e.g. Photoshop.

Then you get the "oh no not again" revelation as Reaper does something completely different than you want it to do.

So, compliance to the rest of the world, please!

PS: I have installed a couple of scripts and allthough they create a kind of staggering zooming experience, it is an acceptable solution. HOWEVER, to install scripts for this and that obvious feature is not a good strategy, for example when you need to reinstall Reaper on a new laptop, because then you do not remember what is the script that gave me proper horizontal zooming two years ago. And there you go, give the time thieves a warm welcome :-)
chj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:06 AM   #2
SiddieNam

I support this, but can I suggest you add a similar item to the "Feature Request" forum?
SiddieNam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:37 AM   #3
serr

Control + 2 finger scroll zooms the whole screen via the OS. Effects all apps and anything on the screen. That would be awkward to restrict to vertical only I think.

I think the root issue is the mishmash of scroll vs zoom action assignments in default Reaper. The horizontal one scrolled and the vertical one zoomed and it was weird. One of the first things I changed was the scroll and zoom action assignments: 2 finger scroll works as expected horizontal and vertical. I made command-scroll work the zooms. Then attached a custom action to scroll peak height to command-option-scroll.

I'll offer that changing that default action assignment like that would be more intuitive.

The new default for upside down scroll Apple introduced in OS preferences was pretty special and throws a wrench into all this. For anyone who didn't turn that off anyway!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote