Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-18-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
Ears
Human being with feelings

Default No sound from plugin alliance synths [solved]

I have an issue with a few of my VST's, I think all my problem VST's are from plugin alliance. Knifonium, BX_Oberhausen..

The track receives a midi input signal but no sound plays back from the synth, the only way I can get sound is if I put scaler2 on my Input FX.

I have Input:MIDI > M-Audio Keystation 88 MK3 > All channels

No problem with other VST's.

Any idea why I can only get playback with Scaler on my input chain?

Thanks

Last edited by Ears; 03-19-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:00 PM   #2
Ears

Figured out the problem.

My Keyboard was sending midi on channel 15, and Knifonium and Oberhausen (+ some other PA stuff) can only receive midi on channel 1. Midi input through Scaler sends midi out on channel 1, that's why I could only get them to work with Scaler on my Input FX.

Works without Scaler now my keyboard is set to channel 1.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:39 AM   #3
vitalker

You can put some JSFX before synth to send all MIDI data to channel 1, so you'll always get sound.
For example, JS: ix/MIDI_Tool II is capable of it. Just set Input channel to Any (it is set by default) and set Output channel to 1.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
Ears

Oh that's neat, added it to my track template.
Works nicely, thanks.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #5
GeckoLikesMartini

Hmmm, just realised the same problem with bx_oberhausen in Reaper on macOS. the thing is... it seems to work in Ableton Live Lite 11, Ableton Live 10 and Reason 12 as expected with every midi channel ?

What's the difference in Reaper ?

Regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:34 PM   #6
Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoLikesMartini View Post
Hmmm, just realised the same problem with bx_oberhausen in Reaper on macOS. the thing is... it seems to work in Ableton Live Lite 11, Ableton Live 10 and Reason 12 as expected with every midi channel ?

What's the difference in Reaper ?

Regards, mj
I found out it's not a problem, it's by design. Most of the Plugin Alliance synths only receive midi input on Channel 1, so in Reaper your midi input device must be set to channel 1, or you can use the JSFX Midi_tool II in vitalkers post.

In Ableton/Reason I believe it's to do with the default routing. It receives midi input on all channels (like Reaper can) but then assigns the midi input to channel 1 of the instrument track by default, even if your device is inputting on channel 3 (much like how the JSFX Midi_tool works).

Reaper receives midi input on all channels too, but it doesn't assign input to channel 1 by default like in Ableton. So if your device is inputting on channel 3, it will go in to BX_Oberhausen on Channel 3 too, and thus won't work because it needs to go through channel 1.