Old 02-14-2023, 05:14 AM   #1
juan_r
Human being with feelings

Default Loudspeaker switch

Hello everyone, I could use some advice on loudspeaker switching.

In my project studio, I have 2 pair of monitors that I use routinely. One nearfield, one midfield. I switch between them with a dedicated hardware switcher with passive attenuation. So far so good.

However, I also use a mono Auratone knockout and a cheap bluetooth speaker (I use it cabled) to check mixes in mono and with low quality speakers. At the moment, I have dedicated soundcard outputs that feed into the latter two, so switching between the main speakers and these cheap ones requires fader adjustments.

Finally, I still have an older pair of monitors that I would like to integrate (venerable NS-10s). I already have an amp to drive them. Is there some device that will allow me to switch between these devices with a simple selector? Being able to listen to two speaker sets at once would be a welcome feature.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:50 PM   #2
gelbfinger

hey, i am not sure if I understand the problem correctly. As far as i can see from your setup, it seems you know the technical solution already.
Maybe you need to buy a selector that is not just switching from one stereo output between two sets of speakers but one that can switch between 4 or 5 pair of speakers.
You also want to listen to them simultaneously ? just for fun?
maybe there is a switch like that.

if not then maybe get a little mixer, keep your switch for the main monitors. add the new speakers on the parrallel output that you use now for your Mono speakers so you could use the new speakers in parallel to your main speakers.
you could split that signal with a mixer and send it to your "crappy" speakers if needed with an aux.
there is also plenty of monitor controllers / switchers on the market but i guess most of them just go to 3 or 4 pair of speakers and dont do parallel. you could also try to hang one selector on the back of another one. but thats is all very diy.

sounds like you got a lot of speakers...

Last edited by gelbfinger; 02-14-2023 at 07:50 PM.
gelbfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:24 AM   #3
ivansc

I bought an SM Pro audio M-Patch2 years ago, which still does duty between my two sets of speakers and multiple ins and outs.

I am sure there are still affordable equivalents out there, so go shopping...
Old 02-15-2023, 04:12 AM   #4
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I bought an SM Pro audio M-Patch2 years ago, which still does duty between my two sets of speakers and multiple ins and outs.

I am sure there are still affordable equivalents out there, so go shopping...
I have the same, hehe. Excellent little device!
I'm looking for something of similar quality, but with 4-way output. Switching inputs is not needed.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:48 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

In my room I actually need to switch two computers between several sets of speakers and a few different headphones, so I use a headphone amp with two inputs and 8 outs. Each out can be switched to either input and then each set of speakers has its own volume knob.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:15 AM   #6
serr

I built a speaker/amp switcher over 20 years ago because such things cost over $2000 then. Still use it.

But I've added this method for switching headphone mixes and it could be an alternate solution to a hardware switcher too:
If you have spare pairs of outputs on an audio interface, you can make multiple hardware outputs in Reaper. Make keyboard shortcuts for the mute on/off toggle actions for those hardware outputs. Now you have some keys on your keyboard to instantly work all your speakers/headphones.

And if you don't have spare outputs available, an audio interface with the outputs you need is still significantly less expensive than a speaker/amp switcher unit!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #7
juan_r

Thanks for your suggestions, @serr and @ashcat_lt. Always informed and useful.

At the moment, I have my outputs maxed out because I have lots of returns to the "live" setup (my project studio doubles as a rehearsal/live room). I should recable the live system with fewer returns, mhh...

I was hoping there would be cheaper hardware switchers today, especially considering no "power" signal needs to be handled. It's only a stereo line output after all: the amp for the passive NS-10 would go downstream from the switcher.

Maybe a headphone amp is the way to go - but wouldn't it degrade the signal going to the "good" monitors? I don't care for a bit of mangling on the cheap Auratone knockoffs or the bluetooth mono crap-a-vox, but the good monitors...
Old 02-18-2023, 06:08 AM   #8
ivansc

Funny they should mention that.... Back when I did a lot of live-with-MIDI stuff I bought a Behringer PowerPlay Pro HA4400 distribution amp. has all sorts of fun ins and outs & something like the current version of that ought to work fine & not cost a fortune. Whereabouts do you live these days? I might be persuaded to send it to you to try if you are at the very least somewhere in Europe....
Old 02-19-2023, 01:13 AM   #9
Dynsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Thanks for your suggestions, @serr and @ashcat_lt. Always informed and useful.

At the moment, I have my outputs maxed out because I have lots of returns to the "live" setup (my project studio doubles as a rehearsal/live room). I should recable the live system with fewer returns, mhh...

I was hoping there would be cheaper hardware switchers today, especially considering no "power" signal needs to be handled. It's only a stereo line output after all: the amp for the passive NS-10 would go downstream from the switcher.

Maybe a headphone amp is the way to go - but wouldn't it degrade the signal going to the "good" monitors? I don't care for a bit of mangling on the cheap Auratone knockoffs or the bluetooth mono crap-a-vox, but the good monitors...
I have had good experiences with some 4 way switches in the $60 range,I'll update in a couple of days when I get back home.
Ran a set of B&Os, some KRKs (passive), auratone style passive and an old pair of Toshibas without any problem. AV link is just one.
Dynsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:23 AM   #10
juan_r

@Dynsdale Nice info, thanks. Do update when you can!

@ivansc Not passive, but is seems like just what I need. I find your offer interesting, particularly since the Behringer PowerPlay Pro HA4400 apparently isn't manufactured anymore. Nowadays there's the HA8000, still reasonably priced, which seems similar. Unfortunately, it seems the HA8000 only has stereo jack outs, while the HA4400 had separate L-R couples, more appropriate for my use case.

I'll research a bit more for alternatives. Maybe @Dynsdale will chime in with some real life experience. I might get back to you in private.

Thanks as usual to everyone who posted their 0.02. These forums are an important resource for me!