Old 01-31-2023, 12:17 PM   #1
MiddleC
Human being with feelings

Default Reamp box?

Finally got around to getting a guitar amp. I'd rather not jump all the way into a pedal board, so I'd prefer to leverage the software I've got for things like compression, reverb, etc..

Anybody have opinions on a decent bang-for-your-buck reamp box? I'm thinking I'll run the guitar through my Focusrite 18i20, and route out to the amp.
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:52 PM   #2
jrk

The most bang for your buck? That would be not using one at all. I've been re-amping for years without one. Sounds alright to me. That said, you might find one helps with keeping noise at bay and the level sensible. The Palmer Dacappo seems to be well thought of and attractively priced.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
MiddleC

Hmmm what do you do, just crank down the output until it's alright?
Old 01-31-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
Hmmm what do you do, just crank down the output until it's alright?
Pretty much (maybe match it to the raw guitar output by ear). The larger issue is if it creates a ground loop and additional noise, that's the #1 thing usually. So worth a try first to see if it's noisy.

I've never had a situation where it wasn't noisy/ground loopy but just my luck I guess.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I've never had a situation where it wasn't noisy/ground loopy but just my luck I guess.
It's the good British electricity I credit.

A reamp box typically gives you
(1) a transformer (obv, the more you spend, the better you'd hope this transformer is, a $20 transformer is probably overkill, but difference in sound among boxes is probably down to the quality here)
- which should help cancel out noise pickup on a long run of (balanced) cable from your interface to the amp. If you don't have a long run, then you're less likely to have a problem.
(2) a little volume knob to make level setting a bit more convenient. This is useful if the amp is some distance from your computer (don't have to run back from e.g. the live room to the control room to turn the thing down)
(3) a lift switch in case you do have a ground loop
(4) a couple of sockets and a box

DIY is certainly an option for anyone with a soldering iron. They're really simple.

Last edited by jrk; 01-31-2023 at 03:12 PM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:59 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
In a small / home studio, there's often a good enough "commonality" (?) of the protective ground / earth (s) to the various bits of equipment, such that ground loops aren't the problem that they can be in bigger (particularly live) setups.

A reamp box typically gives you
(1) a transformer (obv, the more you spend, the better you'd hope this transformer is, but a $20 transformer is probably overkill.)
- which should help cancel out noise pickup on a long run of (balanced) cable from your interface to the amp. Any difference in sound among boxes is probably down to the quality here. If you don't have a long run, then you're less likely to have a problem.
(2) a little volume knob to make level setting a bit more convenient. This is useful if the amp is some distance from your computer (don't have to run back from e.g. the live room to the control room to turn the thing down)
(3) a lift switch in case you do have a ground loop
(4) a couple of sockets and a box

DIY is certainly an option for anyone with a soldering iron. They're really simple.
I have several reamp boxes and other related devices. The transformer is providing galvanic isolation, not balanced type noise-cancelling. I'm not saying everyone will have noise but it's always been an issue for me in every studio home setup I've ever had (for 30+ years now). It becomes even more common once one of the cables connects to a computer however...

The only way to know is to hook it up and see. The more important point is the reamp box isn't providing anything special or magic, but it may save you tons of troubleshooting. I've seen people spend weeks trying to eliminate a ground loop when they could have solved the issue entirely and permanently with an isolation box.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-31-2023 at 03:07 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:34 PM   #7
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I have several reamp boxes and other related devices. The transformer is providing galvanic isolation, not balanced type noise-cancelling.
We very often drive reamp boxes with a balanced signal, and in this case the transformer really will do "balanced type noise-cancelling", it can't help it, because physics. The transformer can only provide galvanic isolation when the lift switch is open. That's what it's for.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
We very often drive reamp boxes with a balanced signal, and in this case the transformer really will do "balanced type noise-cancelling", it can't help it, because physics. The transformer can only provide galvanic isolation when the lift switch is open. That's what it's for.
Yea but there's also the basic inline isolation that is completely non-balanced using two transformers and no switch, I have a few of those in use for the same basic reason, just not always guitar; albeit I have used with guitar for various schemes.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-31-2023 at 03:44 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
skylar_battles

I’ve done both it does sound better with one I think. Radial JCR (passive)
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:53 AM   #10
Kvebbs

I got a DI and ReAmp from these guys after reading about them in Sound on Sound. I'm happy http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/
Kvebbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 01:44 PM   #11
MiddleC

I looked at that link, Kvebbs, but I was unable to see how to order it. I'm in Canada.

Anyways, the activity on this thread pushed the topic back into consideration, so I bought this over lunch:

https://www.radialeng.com/product/prormp

We'll see how it goes when I test it tonight!

On a side note, I hooked my good old Swedish chainsaw to my new amp (Orange CR60C) and I'm rediscovering my youth...

Last edited by MiddleC; 02-14-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:51 PM   #12
vdubreeze

Quote:
I looked at that link, Kvebbs, but I was unable to see how to order it. I'm in Canada.

Anyways, the activity on this thread pushed the topic back into consideration, so I bought this over lunch:

https://www.radialeng.com/product/prormp

We'll see how it goes when I test it tonight!
A Radial widget will cost two or three times what an inexpensive one will, but they are worth it, if the budget allows. They just do exactly what you hope they will and sound as good as it will get.

Have fun! Reamping is a ton of fun, especially with a good box.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:55 PM   #13
MiddleC

Okay, this Radial product, Reamp ProRMP, works mint. Love it. I'm actually quite surprised how wonderful it works.

Running it through "TR5 Space Delay" and the LX480, and the latency is not high enough to notice - really feels like I'm on top of the amp.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:00 PM   #14
numberthirty

Quote:
Okay, this Radial product, Reamp ProRMP, works mint. Love it. I'm actually quite surprised how wonderful it works.

Running it through "TR5 Space Delay" and the LX480, and the latency is not high enough to notice - really feels like I'm on top of the amp.
Good to hear that it worked itself out just fine.
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #15
SMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Radial JCR (passive)
I have been using the Radial JCR (John Cuniberti) device for many years.
I purchased a few of these for my studio and they are amazing !!!
https://www.radialeng.com/product/jcr
Old 03-25-2023, 03:11 PM   #16
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
A Radial widget will cost two or three times what an inexpensive one will, but they are worth it, if the budget allows. They just do exactly what you hope they will and sound as good as it will get.
FWIW, here's a comparison of Radial JCR vs Palmer Daccapo (including a null test)
You decide if the substantially more expensive Radial is worth it.

I think I'd pay up if I was using it for bass, maybe.

Looks like the Palmer could do with some stick-on feet.

(see also "post-purchase rationalization" )

Last edited by jrk; 03-28-2023 at 04:41 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:49 AM   #17
Tubeguy

I never bother with boxers. I just go straight out of mixing desk to amp input and never have any problems. Ohm matching is not as critical as it's made out to be.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:23 AM   #18
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
I never bother with boxers. I just go straight out of mixing desk to amp input and never have any problems. Ohm matching is not as critical as it's made out to be.
Whoa - exactly the opposite experience here. I literally never managed to reamp straight out of a line output. The Daccapo is working beautifully (as in "just works"), so I don't even think about alternatives.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:26 AM   #19
karbomusic

The "ohm matching" doesn't really apply from console to amp FWIW because the impedance of the opamp on the line out is sufficiently low... unlike a guitar with passive pickups for example.