martmix
Human being with feelings

Default master out

my master peaking at -14.9 LUFS-I

im i ok with this result?

it's for a CD player..

thanks

martin

Last edited by martmix; 10-28-2021 at 08:13 AM.
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
Coachz

That's fine but I Target - 12 1/2 as a general rule

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:13 AM   #3
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
That's fine but I Target - 12 1/2 as a general rule
ok thank you mister
Old 10-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

First of all let’s please not conflate “peak” with “LUFSi”. LUFSi is by definition an integrated average. It doesn’t “peak at x LUFSi”, it “averages to x LUFSi”. That might sound pedantic, but the thing is that the integrated average only tells us part of the story. In order to actually know anything meaningful, we also do need to know the actual peak value. Whether you choose actual sample peak or “true peak” is up to you I suppose, but you need to look at one of them. Mores specifically, it’s the difference between the peak and the integrated average - the Crest Factor which is often kind of mistakenly called Dynamic Range - that really matters. I mean, it’s great that your integrated average meets YouTube standards, but if your peaks are at +6, well I suppose that’s obviously wrong, and you try to smash it down and hope it still sounds ok after. On the flip side, though, if the peaks only reach -8, then it’s already a smashed down sausage of a volume wars winner, and you’d might as well normalize there peaks to end up with LUFSi around -7 and let YouTube (or the listener) turn it down if they want. Especially on 16bit CD, we’d really prefer to have those peaks very close to 0 in order to “use all the bits”. Mostly because there’s no good reason to leave that dynamic range on the floor, but also because our listeners volume controls only go so high, so it’s easier for them to turn down (or just not turn up as much to begin with) a loud recording than to turn up a quiet one sometimes.

But the actual answer to the question “what loudness” is always “what works best”. I’m tempted to say “what sounds best”, but ya know sometimes things aren’t really supposed to sound good. So what works best, what sounds right? Mix until it has the impact that you want. Then normalize so the peaks hit just under 0 and press the thing. Maybe run the analysis as a sanity check. If it’s like way off from other similar material, it might indicate something you’ve missed, overlooked, or just aren’t hearing in the mix process, and you might want to go back and see if you can do anything about it without destroying the whole thing, but you can’t let those numbers push you around. How it sounds is literally all that matters.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
martmix

thank you for this explainations ashcat_lt

Last edited by martmix; 10-28-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
ashcat_lt

I’m happy to help, but you didn’t have to quote it. The thread is now twice as long as it needs to be.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I’m happy to help, but you didn’t have to quote it. The thread is now twice as long as it needs to be.
edited thx
Old 10-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

^^^^Please tell me this is intentional irony!
Old 10-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
martmix

Quote:
^^^^Please tell me this is intentional irony!
i dont know what the word irony mean,but i hope i'v not offence you

Last edited by martmix; 10-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
i dont know what the word irony mean,but i hope i'v not offence you
I'm the title police, he's the quote police. Together we are the....

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
First of all let’s please not conflate “peak” with “LUFSi”. LUFSi is by definition an integrated average. It doesn’t “peak at x LUFSi”, it “averages to x LUFSi”. That might sound pedantic, but the thing is that the integrated average only tells us part of the story. In order to actually know anything meaningful, we also do need to know the actual peak value.
Put very well ashcat, and this is how I understand it too.

I usually shoot for a peak of -1.0dB, -14LUFS. I do this by setting the limiter, which is now ReaLimit, Brickwall Ceiling at -.99dB, then adjusting the Threshold until I get a -14.0LUFS.

The reason for setting the Ceiling at -.99dB and not -1.0dB is because at -1.0dB Reaper shows -1.1dB, it seems to be off .01bB, one direction or the other, which I think has been discussed in other threads.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Put very well ashcat, and this is how I understand it too.

I usually shoot for a peak of -1.0dB, -14LUFS. I do this by setting the limiter, which is now ReaLimit, Brickwall Ceiling at -.99dB, then adjusting the Threshold until I get a -14.0LUFS.

The reason for setting the Ceiling at -.99dB and not -1.0dB is because at -1.0dB Reaper shows -1.1dB, it seems to be off .01bB, one direction or the other, which I think has been discussed in other threads.
thank you to share Tod !
Old 10-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #13
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
...but i hope i'v not offence you
Naw, I’m just a dick.

In this case, the irony is that I asked you not quote the whole post, and you then quoted that whole post to tell me you’d fixed the other one, which I think you can see is kind of half missing the point and kind of funny.

It’s not a huge deal, but in general, if you are replying directly to the last post in the thread, you can usually just Reply rather than Quote. If you’re replying to something earlier in the thread or want to address a specific portion of a post, you could use Quote, but preferably edit the quoted text down to a few pertinent sentences (as Tod did above). This just helps keep the thread a little cleaner, and helps us having to scroll through the same big long thing multiple times to see new replies. A good rule of thumb is that if your actual reply is shorter than the quote, you maybe want to do some editing.

Sorry to be “that guy”, and like I said it’s nothing to get mad about, but...
Old 10-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #14
martmix

you make me aware about it so that's cool..