Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default look at this pretty switched input jack:

So I'm fixing my bass amp. the input jacks are shot and OHHH man! I found these AWESOME closed circuit connectors at axman, but they're too big. I've never plugged into a jack that felt as nice and secure as these. Just thought I'd share. here's some photos. click to enlarge:

sadly, this is the one I'll have to use

Last edited by pixeltarian; 03-04-2012 at 06:44 PM.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
So I'm fixing my bass amp. the input jacks are shot and OHHH man! I found these AWESOME closed circuit connectors at axman, but they're too big. I've never plugged into a jack that felt as nice and secure as these.

sadly, this is the one I'll have to use
Yes, that one will fit in most places better than the other. I've used them quite a bit over the years and thy're okay. Keep in mind you can always slightly bend the tip contact to get a better connection.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yes, that one will fit in most places better than the other. I've used them quite a bit over the years and thy're okay. Keep in mind you can always slightly bend the tip contact to get a better connection.
I'm using two of the one (high gain/low gain inputs)

cool.
I can fit them in, but if the twist they contacts might touch. options:

- wrap one or both in electrical tape
- find big shrink wrap tubing
- get a very tiny screw and tap into the plastic to keep them from ever spinning
- dap a bit of epoxy on the threads so they won't ever come loose and spin

are those my only options, or is there a good solution to keep them from touching and/or spinning? If they are my only options, which is the best option?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
pw3

Think about combining big heat-shrink tubing with lock washers between the inner face of the panel and the shoulders of the jacks. Best of both worlds, if you can find the stuff. If not, look for heat-shrink tape.
pw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I'm using two of the one (high gain/low gain inputs)
It's hard for me to see from the picture, when you say "(high gain/low gain inputs)" does that mean it's a stereo tip-ring-sleeve plug.

Quote:
cool.
I can fit them in, but if the twist they contacts might touch. options:

- wrap one or both in electrical tape
- find big shrink wrap tubing
- get a very tiny screw and tap into the plastic to keep them from ever spinning
- dap a bit of epoxy on the threads so they won't ever come loose and spin

are those my only options, or is there a good solution to keep them from touching and/or spinning? If they are my only options, which is the best option?
You shouldn't have to worry about twisting if the nuts are tightened properly. It's best to use a socket or box type wrench to tighten snugly. Just don't crank on the wrench so hard it might strip the nut.

What brand of plug is it. The contact stems should be fairly heavy duty, not like the radio shack ones I've seen.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
It's hard for me to see from the picture, when you say "(high gain/low gain inputs)" does that mean it's a stereo tip-ring-sleeve plug.

You shouldn't have to worry about twisting if the nuts are tightened properly. It's best to use a socket or box type wrench to tighten snugly. Just don't crank on the wrench so hard it might strip the nut.

What brand of plug is it. The contact stems should be fairly heavy duty, not like the radio shack ones I've seen.
I got the connectors at a surplus store. it's all wired in now.
I didn't do anything with the jacks thus far. if the do twist someday, I can probably just loosen then nuts and twist them to a position where they don't touch.

they are 2 TS jacks but they're closed circuit. Meaning when nothing is plugged in, the current passes through. there are 3 leads, but two of them are for the tip. There is no ring.