Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #41
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Well i suppose I'm unique here with a soundscape(now SSL) mixpander 9 with an iBox48 TA,thats 48 in/out.has its own DSP,9 chips!!! to run a bunch of plugins etc at zero latency,which i use for mainly monitoring purposes,Fully configurable mixer with the ability to send anything anywhere,bit like reaper, kIller combination

I've also got..
M Audio 1010
M Audio firewire solo with pro tools Mpowered
M Audio quattro
VSL 2020

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #42
dijon

Default layla24

been using a layla24 for 6 years - i still love it and can't find a reason to 'upgrade'. the converters sound sweet, the drivers are rock solid and..well, can there be anything else really?
dijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #43
jadoube

Default MOTU Traveller

MOTU Traveller. Very nice. I needed to do a wack of transfers from old ADATs... this has the serial input for ADAT sync.. else I probably would have got an RME. However, the MOTU was a pleasant surprise and now I wouldn't change it. MOTU support was great too.. they called me to make sure I was happy a couple of weeks after I registered. Wow. Card works and company works. A big improvement because there was a time when I would have said "they are a Mac company... don't go there for PC stuff." No longer.

I also have a Echo Indigo IO. Works great.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #44
Staccato

FF800 with Reaper is the low-latency bomba.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #45
kLyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Judging by the Samplitude Pro forum, MOTU stuff is not used as much as RME.
The few that have MOTU are not complaining - since the arrival of the PCI424 card theres been no cause to.
Rock solid and stable.

Lynx on the other hand is having no end of trouble with lost buffers etc.

Cheers

M
Huh? "Lost buffers?" That's a new one for me. Not even sure what they are and where one would look for them when they get "lost."

Lynx Two C here, completely troublefree with Reaper (or any software, for that matter... except Samplitude, I guess, though it's the first I've heard of it). And in fact I've never heard of anyone else, anywhere, having any trouble with Lynx hardware or drivers on any platform.
I have a medium-sized project -- rewired reason with two rhodes combinators, a grand piano sample, and a big drumkit and lots of effects, one instance of Microtonic, an Orca track, 13 tracks of audio, two instances of Pristine Space and two of Ohmboyz, a few compressors, some eq's -- playing back right now at 32 samples with no problems.
kLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #46
sonicmass

RME Fireface 400 here...and i love it.
sonicmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #47
filcro

I use a couple of soundcards:

RME 9632
ST Audio DSP24mkII (although this has been replaced by the RME for recording purposes - it's currently providing audio for my Linux install as I've had trouble using the RME with Linux, although I seem to be only one of a few unlucky examples it seems - I should have more joy installing it with a fresh install. I think having added it post-install I may have accidentally bodged something which has led to it being harder to fix with my limited abilities).
filcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #48
Petersko

Quote:
ST Audio DSP24mkII
I've got one of these connected to a DAC2000. STAudio is long gone and the product is out of support, but I haven't yet reached the point where anything is forming a roadblock. I've been eyeballing a new interface, but it just won't die, damn it!
Petersko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #49
maa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLyon View Post
And in fact I've never heard of anyone else, anywhere, having any trouble with Lynx hardware or drivers on any platform.
The Lynx and Magix developers are working on the problem which has been duplicated on a machine by Lynx themselves.
There is a huge thread on the Sequoia and Samplitude forum.
I guess it'll be fixed now within a week.

Cheers

M
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:56 AM   #50
dungbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
E-MU 1616m. Working great.
Me too.

The cardbus (PCMCIA) version.

PatchMix (the software interface that comes with it) provided me with some interesting 'challenges' to begin with, but now it's working it sounds just fine.

Just to clarify though, there's nothing wrong with the card or the software itself, it was just that it took me a while to work out how to configure it correctly.

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #51
True North

2 x Lynx AES16 cards
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #52
kLyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
The Lynx and Magix developers are working on the problem which has been duplicated on a machine by Lynx themselves.
There is a huge thread on the Sequoia and Samplitude forum.
I guess it'll be fixed now within a week.

Cheers

M
Yeah, I would imagine those guys wouldn't let something sit very long. They're a pleasure to deal with and take problems almost as personal affronts (remind you of anyone else, maybe a software developer?) to be dealt with right away.
kLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #53
Mradyfist

I've got a MOTU 24i/o at the studio, and I just set up my church with a system that's using 2 computers, one with 4 Delta 1010LTs and one with 2 Delta 1010LTs. I love the concept of the MOTU: just 24 channels of analog in and out, with meters for each. I don't have an ADAT, I don't have any SPDIF gear, so I don't really need those inputs and I especially don't want to pay for them. At first when I started using it I had a lot of problems with crackling at 96khz, which I attributed to bad drivers; however after a helpful tip on this forum I changed my PCI latency for my video card and the problem cleaned right up.

On a side note, my studio partner and I have been looking at getting an 8 channel preamp unit to supplement what we already have, and while researching the options available we realized that it would just as cheap to get a MOTU 896 (which has 8 preamps built in) and it would add other features like digital ins and outs if we ever need them and portability if we ever wanted to do something with a laptop. It sounds like Jason has a couple and is happy with the pres.. does anybody know if you can use a firewire MOTU interface like the 896 alongside a PCI-424-based unit like the 24i/o?
Mradyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #54
CloudStreetsMusic

FF800, but slso us an API A2D, which is a pair of API 312 pres and has its own very pleasing AD converters, so sometimes I use the A2Ds ingoing, and the RME for the rest.

Love both...with this combination of converters, clocks, and I/O I am pretty happy.
CloudStreetsMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #55
LabbyRoad

M-Audio FW-1814
Edirol FA-101 (which I don't use much)

The 1814 is my main sound card. I know some people here have issues with M-Audio products but so far, my experience has been fairly positive.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #56
bogo

RME Multiface. Flawless.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #57
drew
Mobile

Anyone here own both a MOTU Traveler AND FF400 to do a direct comparison at low latency?? I'd be very interest in that test!!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #58
Panatrope

I have recently acquired a FF400 - still getting acquainted - and have access to a Travel(l)er which I have used (but never in a situation where latency is an issue). The Traveler mic pre's are good (expect the FF440 are as good or better).

Measured a Phonic 12FW but not impressed with the pre's performance but colleague still finds them 'fit for purpose'. Bang for buck, I am still impressed with how little it costs to get reasonable 8-track recording with laptop and REAPER using a Behringer BCA2000 and ADA8000 - the two cost about AUD700 total!

The "soundcard" in my PC is an old S'EKD PRODIF 32 (RME DIGI32)but it is only digital in an out (and limited to 48kHz max)- still doing a fabulous job after 8 years (what's that equivalent to in digital-years?). The big bonus is the Digicheck metering and analysis utility - which now also does multitrack recording, and it's FREE!
Panatrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #59
munzmusic

Default i88x help

Just switched to the yamaha i88x but having trouble getting any signal w/ Reaper. Any suggestions on where to start? I downloaded the drivers and installed them, but I can't seem to get it where the i88x is listed as an input device, so I can't get a signal. By no means an expert w/ mLan devices and/or reaper. Any help would be great.

peace
munzmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #60
Bubbagump

EMU 1820M with a Mackie 800R going in via lightpipe.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #61
rodabt

M-Audio Delta 44. Simple but effective.
rodabt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #62
esorcc

Default MOTU 828mkII Firewire

Love it so far
esorcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #63
elmcity

Motu 828mkII
LOVE IT!!
elmcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #64
fly keyz

Default RPC-1

I've been using this one about 3 years but its about time for an upgrade
fly keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #65
Yellowsnow

I'm rocking a Presonus Firestudio. They got a few little tweaks to work out with it.. But for the most part the unit is nice and the sound is very clear and detailed. Got no problems with the preamps either. They sound good to me. Not as good as my Avalon 737, but they will do..
Yellowsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #66
chris_llen123

M Audio Delta 1010LT into a patchbay - Home

Great card, low latency, reliable drivers but they dont like you changing the settings with projects open.

MOTU 896HD - Work

If you can afford a more expensive bit of kit, the 896 really takes the biscuit.
The MOTU drivers are bullet proof in my opinion, althought the CUEmix software mixer / drivers annoy me a bit. They are useful though depending on your setup.

Both work well with Reaper.
chris_llen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #67
Gerry G

Default MOTU Traveler

Funny

I found the drivers finicky and they and software "hang on to" each other. I had to reset the firewire with MS fixes and set the SidSPeed reg key back to 3=400 to 800.

Now it is settling down on all the systems I use and it is beautiful. I love the Cuemix and Audio console.

I guess it reflects our experiences and how we came to 'run the systems in'.

I agree that MOTU is beautiful kit. I just wish there were utilities made by a third party or somebody that made them release the drivers. I think I may have to just get used to the order in which you turn everything on and off.... bit like Rewire.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #68
Petimar

Mackie Onyx 400f. It has worked great for me thought there are tons of complaints on the Mackie forums.
Petimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #69
jamester

Edirol UA-1000

Discontinued a little while ago, but I hope it keeps keepin' on for years to come because it is rock solid and never let me down! :-)
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #70
Lawrence

MOTU Traveler fed by Lavry AD and DA and clocked from the Lavry AD. It works pretty flawlessly.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #71
Serendipity

EMU1212M & TonePort UX1 USB
Old 05-27-2007, 12:46 AM   #72
Ananth

Default Delta 1010LT

M-Audio Detla 1010LT.

It's an excellent card with plenty of inputs and outputs for a very reasonable price. Drivers work fine in both Windows and Linux. It's possible to add upto 4 Delta cards in a system if more inputs are needed.

These are some minor issues I'm facing:
1. When I switch on/off the system, if the speakers are on, there will be a small 'boom' sound.

2. Cables are short and you need to put some efforts to read the numbers on them. Mostly I find myself tucking in so awkwardly under my computer table, and using a torch light to figure-out which one of those 2 dozen cables is Input 5.

3. Some softwares (like players etc) always play sound thru on-board sound only. I use a patch cable to connect the sound cards.

Ananth
http://endoflist.blogspot.com
Attached Images
File Type: png Delta mixer.png (55.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: png Delta 1010 Lt in Reaper.png (48.1 KB, 399 views)
Ananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 AM   #73
antiClick

RME HDSP 9632.
One of the best drivers and low-latency performers, and it's a PCI card so you'll never have to deal with the USB/firewire performance issues. Just look at PCIe in case you MoBo doesn't include PCI slots. Maybe the newest graphic cards can perform better on PCIe, but it's not the case with an audio card.

Also includes Zero Latency Monitornig, plus a very nice metering app that is runned by an internal DSP chip, so you also get the best/smoothest meters you can find with 0 CPU impact.

Has analog connectors, spdif digitals, plus ADAT pipelines so you can expand it with upcoming AD converters.

There also exists many expansions fot it, including more analog i/o, all balanced connectors, external clock input, tdif, etc.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_...ion_boards.php

I added 4Ins + 4Outs + all balanced connectors and it's working like a charm with 16 i/o.

Ah! Internal cards are usually quite cheaper for what you get, this is about 380€.

If you are using your PC for sound production + gaming and hearing the windows sounds, you'd better assign the windows sounds to the internal MoBo soundcard (or get the cheapest Creative).

Cheers!
Hope it helped

Last edited by antiClick; 05-29-2007 at 07:07 AM.
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #74
brotherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoube View Post
I also have a Echo Indigo IO. Works great.
Same here, works great.

Best regards
brotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #75
jussi

I like that meter a lot.. seems easier to read with those little rectangles than with the traditional wave.. Can someone point me to a vst with similar metering?
jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 AM   #76
MikeLacey

Hi Justin,

Do you develop on the same PC you record on?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #77
ieso

Yeah, RME's Digicheck is totally kick ass. Nice feature to go along with the excellent hardware
ieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #78
4fmb

Desktop: RME Multiface and Digiface (they operate beautifully together as "one big soundcard").

Laptop: EMU 1616m

All are top notch!
4fmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #79
Earache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersko View Post
I've got one of these connected to a DAC2000. STAudio is long gone and the product is out of support, but I haven't yet reached the point where anything is forming a roadblock. I've been eyeballing a new interface, but it just won't die, damn it!
I have the ST Audio DSP2000 (DSP24mkII) as well. So far so good, but it seems to be hit-or-miss with mobo chipsets, so moving to a better PC might force a replacement down the line.
Earache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #80
BALKIS

I use an old M Audio Quattro USB been using it since 2000.

I also have a EMU 0404 brand new for sale if anyone is interested.
BALKIS is offline   Reply With Quote