Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
khollister
Human being with feelings

Default New User - Some feedback on Reaper

Have been getting frustrated with Logic lately and thought I would give Studio One and Reaper a go. After using the 32 bit and 64 bit versions with 10.6.5 on a 3.2 GHz quad Mac Pro with 12 GB RAM and OS SSD and RAID 0 sample library, here's my thoughts/issues:

1) The UI & workflow struck me as rather odd at first but it is growing on me. There's probably a way to handle it better that I don't know about, but the thing that still bugs me is having to open the I/O pane to adjust effects send level rather than tweak a control directly on the channel strip in the mixer.

2) In spite of some of the comments I have read, it appears to be more efficient than Logic 9 for me. In particular I can play Galaxy Vintage D in Kontakt 4.1.3 (a notorious resource hog) with a latency buffer setting of 128 samples, which was not possible consistently on Logic without problems (using an Apogee Duet).

3) Don't have the Windows experience as a comparison, but the responsiveness of the UI with moderate track count is pretty good - certainly good enough so I don't sweat it.

4) Many AU plugins are flaky where the VST version works fine

5) The 64 bit version's bridge for 32 bit plugs is a bit pokey - the UI on many of the 32 bit plugs is noticeably slowed down.

6) The 64 bit version is completely useless for me because it cannot recognize the multi-outs in the AU Kontakt plugin. The VST version of Kontakt is still 32 bit. The same thing happens in the 32 bit version of Reaper, but it doesn't matter there since the VST version work fine.

So I have turned the memory servers back on in Kontakt and Omnisphere/Trilian and am happily plodding along with the 32 bit version of Reaper.
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
UncleAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
1) ...but the thing that still bugs me is having to open the I/O pane to adjust effects send level rather than tweak a control directly on the channel strip in the mixer.
Are you saying that in the theme you use there aren't any send knobs on the channel strip in the mixer? Because there is in mine. You may have to increase the height of the mixing area to see them though.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
khollister

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAge View Post
Are you saying that in the theme you use there aren't any send knobs on the channel strip in the mixer? Because there is in mine. You may have to increase the height of the mixing area to see them though.
Doh!! - see I knew I was missing something :-). Thanks
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote