Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #81
Colox
Human being with feelings

Trying Reaper out, first week, so I can't discuss details. But coming from the outside I think I can understand where some disbelief of Reapers MIDI comes from: The appearance.

Reapers MIDI editor doesn't look sturdy, expensive, thought through or "masculine" .. whatever one calls it. Certainly not compared to Logic/Cubase and others. I think many people are actually that superficial, that they make a split second visual judgement based on first impression without actually trying it out in a practical advanced situation. I know I was pleasantly surprised first time I was diving into the menus and detailed functionality of Reaper's MIDI editor; I wasn't expecting all that stuff hidden under the hood.

This might account for some of the hammering that Reapers MIDI utilities seems to attract.

Last edited by Colox; 03-07-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #82
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
I think I can understand where some disbelief of Reapers MIDI comes from: The appearance.
I understand where you're coming from, and I think appearances generally account for a lot of people's gripes with Reaper. But honestly, I don't care what it looks like, and actually, I like how it looks. I do find its MIDI somewhat difficult to use, though.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #83
dea-man

Default Reaper's Midi......

I feel it's not "hard to use" once you discover your own workflow.

To me, it seems less then intuitive, though. Probably because I came from an experience of dealing with midi primarily on hardware, keyboard, DAW's.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #84
ebtihal

Default MIDI problems in Reaper

Quantization on REAPER is a major issue for me, seriously slowing my workflow down. From what the my programming coworker here at work tells me, who examines Reaper’s code, REAPER uses an offset amount to quantize events, instead of ACTUALLY quantizing them…i.e., Quantizing is a “corrective mask” put over your original raw input; events actually remain how they were initially input. When you ask to quantize, an offset value is listed in the code, to be added or subtracted from an event’s start time (and end time, if you’ve chosen to quantize duration). I suppose this is so the original raw input data can always be retrieved. This sounds nifty until you actually try and do serious quantization work, where being off by one tick matters (and particularly hairy if you are writing scripts that depend on quantized events---which I’m aware few users do, but still…) You can choose to “freeze quantize,” which will sum the offset amounts with the initial amounts. But errors will soon develop if you use shortcuts like “paste (or replace) preserving position in measure.” This guy will often end up placing your clipboard off by a few ticks, which you’d never notice until you zoomed in super close. And I’m quite sure this is all because of the dumb offset value in the code. (Exporting and re-importing MIDI would also work, but who wants to do that in multi-track session, especially when all you want to do is QUANTIZE, for heaven’s sake.)
Possibly also a tempo map that changes slightly each measure (which most of my songs do) helps confound Reaper when it tries to quantize. It just shouldn’t.

Also, there HAS to be a way to get Input Quantize to Snap to Grid and not create “boobits,” which is my term for MIDI events with 0 duration. Why, when you ask it to quantize, does it pull BOTH THE END AND THE START of the note TO THE NEAREST GRID and just leave them there? (actually, even if you select only the start of note, and choose to next or previous grid line, it still creates “boobits”….why?) Can’t it move the event start while preserving the duration, and then go back and quantize the end to the nearest note in the grid division; And if, perchance, that’s the same as the start, round it the next grid line? So we don’t end up with MIDI events that are 000 in length? Or just give me the ability to quantize ONLY the beginnings, preserving duration. If I try and quantize a note, it defaults to moving both, and I end up with boobits. Or give me the ability to select all boobit-sized notes in one fell swoop, so that I can tell them all to be 1/16 in duration, or whatever.

Actually, it’d also be great to have a “Select by Rule" window that has an interface like the Event Properties window. That way, I could tell it to select all notes that are under 001 in duration or less and delete them, or make them .25 in duration. I could also do tons of other time-saving things (select all the C#3’s that are 1/16th note and make them 1/8th note, and Xpose them to G4). But that’s a FR I’ve already suggested, and the only DAW I ever used that had something like that was StudioVision. But that was abn excellent feature that doesn't seem difficult to implement, at least not to my tiny mind.

Also, I don’t understand why I can’t just tell it what key my song (or section of my song) is in, and have the note names adhere to that. E.g., if I could tell it my key for the verse is Eb, I shouldn’t see a D# or an A# in my note names. I know you can tell Load Customized Note Names, but that’s such a bitch…and you have to do it for every window/tab/track you open in a MIDI editor. Real dumb, imho. AND, if you tell it to load, say, only flats, your note names always read as “Gb4 (F#4)” instead of just “Gb4”. Why include the parentheses? Just to remind me of what an enharmonic is? Just to add clutter? Weird.

Anyway, that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are other issues I have with it, but I've already whined too much. Really, Reaper's MIDI is superlative in a lot of other ways, certainly better than most of the DAWs I've worked with.
ebtihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #85
V'ger

I work in MIDI only and in my opinion Reaper is the best of the DAWs I've tried. I was a Cubase user for years, and although it has some nifty MIDI features, Reaper extensions and 3rd party freeware does practically the same or maybe more. The tool switching in Cubase and hopeless loading (or not loading) and routing of MIDI plugins drove me nuts. Nothing compares to Reaper for speed of writing and editing with the mouse modifiers and shortcuts set up.

I demoed Ableton extensively and recently bought FL Studio on a whim to do collabs with when it was on sale and after people saying it had the best MIDI, but I now know that is simply not true..

To enter notes and length in the MIDI editor with a single click and deleting with a single click of the same button is just brilliant, no other DAW does that as far as I know. Zooming in and out with the mousewheel and a 'zoom to content' is brilliant. And to use any and all MIDI plugins stacked and changed how I like it on the same track is also a huge thing. No need to make new tracks and mess up the project like the others force you to.

I could go on, but none of the other DAWs I know comes close for me. MIDI CC is well implemented, quantize works fine and there are extensions that will get me LFO and grooves. I simply don't get the constant dissing of Reaper's MIDI at all, and judging from this thread it seems a lot comes from not knowing certain things as much as anything..

Quote:
Originally Posted by digaldeman View Post
You won't understand until you use FL
Studio or another DAW with good MIDI tools for a few weeks. These tools literally make you 100 times better at coming up with new grooves, melodies, and ideas. The more you experiment with these tools, the higher the chance of creating something cool or sparking an idea.

Honestly, I think REAPER's MIDI features will always suck These tools literally make you 100 times better at coming up with new grooves, melodies, and ideas. The more you experiment with these tools, the higher the chance of creating something cool or sparking an idea.

Honestly, I think REAPER's MIDI features will always suck because the developers probably don't care about MIDI stuff. Even the MIDI editor needs a lot of work. I don't think Justin makes MIDI based music and I don't think he is learning from because the developers probably don't care about MIDI stuff. Even the MIDI editor needs a lot of work. I don't think Justin makes MIDI based music and I don't think he is learning from other DAWs like FL Studio.
I've heard similar to this several times but after buying FL I now understand why most leave it with general statements like this as there is no hold in it. In fact FL is clearly worse than Reaper when it comes to MIDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digaldeman View Post
I was so stupid. I used to check the Pre-release forum almost everyday, hoping for the MIDI/Automation features that we requested over 4 years ago. The sprinkles of MIDI features every now and then made me think that any day now, we would be blessed with features like groove quanitize or automation clip.

After 3 years of fighting with REAPER's MIDI, I gave up and moved back to FL Studio yesterday. It really feels good to use groove quantize, the strum tool, and automation clips again.
Praising FL's automation clips as a sign of superior MIDI is way off mark as it has nothing to do with MIDI at all, it is just native automation.

In fact from what I can gather it seems FL doesn't really record or play back MIDI CC at all, it just links the input and output to native, I suppose via another 'wrapper' type feature. You certainly can't load a synth that has the MIDI CC set, locate for example the CC 74 lane and start editing, or even turn that knob on your controller and record the MIDI data like you can in Reaper. Instead you have to go via FL's own link feature and record FL native. It's the only DAW I've seen that doesn't do MIDI like it's supposed to in this way.

And afaik FL doesn't do other MIDI stuff like sysex whereas in Reaper it's just to open the lane in the editor, easy as can be.

Not meaning to do the DAW wars here, but to state so strongly that FL is far superior to Reaper when it comes to MIDI when it isn't should be corrected.

Of the few thing you do indeed list, Reaper does groove quantize with the FNG extensions, so you are left with the strum tool which let's be honest is hardly a dealbreaker. Especially when compared to all the other MIDI tools Reaper has and FL has not.
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #86
V'ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermonkey1984 View Post
I'm also really irritated by the CC manipulation. Particularly velocity. When I want to change velocity I need to drag the velocity up or down. But if two notes happen at the same time the there is no way to click the velocity behind the velocity in the front.
Just select the note(s) you want to edit and any drags is done to those only. Or simply hold down the alt key and click drag up/down the note.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #87
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post
I simply don't get the constant dissing of Reaper's MIDI at all
Just for the record, I don't think all of it is dissing, but a desire to go well beyond where it's currently at. The rest of your post is encouraging though and makes me want to learn it more
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #88
chrisharbin

btw, speaking of FNG/groove stuff and it's inclusion now with the SWS extensions, is there anywhere that explains what all of that means lol? All I use it extract and apply 16th/apply 32nd. I have no idea what much of the rest of it will do.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #89
musicbynumbers

I too find most of Reaper's features MIDI wise to be well done on the whole and prefer it to Cubase, Logic and protools for my work but recently I did get a little frustrated when trying to draw new CC events and finding it to now work that great (well, not as well as it use to). Could be me messing with modifiers though, need to sit down and check soon!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #90
Panphobia

Yes the midi could be better. It is slightly buggy, and lacks a few features of other daws. Hoowever, it is good enough, and can only get better.

A recent bug (?) I had was that midi notes were slightly off when zooming in, without applying any humanize functions. Maybe there is something on by default. Not a big deal, and easy to fix (I guess, but still some wasted time).
Panphobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #91
V'ger

Here's a real time video showing basic MIDI editing is as fast and easy as any DAW, and here's another showing how flexible and easy it is to use MIDI plugins together with synths. Imagine how cumbersome and confusing it would be to route and manage the setup in the second video with other DAWs. (if they would even load..)
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #92
semiquaver

Gofer nailed it way back at the top.

1) Splitting items should not split midi notes, especially when the splits happen from recording new takes. this makes midi takes unuseable

2) ccs need to be chased per track - Synful orchestra for example is totally unuseable otherwise.

I would add that a basic set of midi editing features should to be available outside the midi editor when working on items - transpose, quantize, humanise, reverse, compand, split by range, set velocities etc.
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #93
chrisharbin

I don't know about compound or velocities, but you can always hit "e" and open the inline editor for the others.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #94
donchilcott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest The Wordsmith View Post
I constantly see posts on the forums here either trashing Reapers MIDI capabilities, or begging users to support some MIDI feature request. In a nutshell, what's so bad about Reapers MIDI?

Granted, I'm not a heavy MIDI user. I play a groove on the keyboard, maybe quantize a bit here and there, edit a note or two's velocity, and I'm done. What are you MIDI power users looking for that Reaper fails at? Am I unaware of a world of MIDI possibilities that would make my creative process bloom? Tell me!

~Quest~
I have used many sequencing programs, many of them long before digital audio was used. I was a beta tester for Cakewalk, Personal Composer and Texture. I have used Cakewalk/Sonar mostly for many years. I find the editing in Sonar far easier than in Reaper. I have tried to switch completely over to Reaper but in truth when I an in a jam and need quick response I use Sonar. I see how defensive many loyal Reaper users get and actually choose to put it gently how poor I find midi editing in Resper. My problem is I am quite spoiled by and used to Sonar. With Sonar it's easy to highlight tracks, sections of tracks, several tracks and then I use one simple pull down menu to Quantize, transpise, groove quantize etc. it's simple, whatever you have highlighted is effected. One track, several clips, one clip, several tracks, whatever. I can 't help thinking that Justin/the powers that be will become convinced that midinis important enough to put effort into and improve. I want to see Reaper become the industry standard, I don't like PT. i bought my license, I continue to read the manual, watch training videos and I use Reaper often as I can. I have a Video project to score and Reaper won't load the Video file. I posted questions, got a few suggestions but the video file Ivhave still won't load in Reaper. It's an AVI so installing all the codecs I was told to install resll aren 't fot AVI. I don't do a lot of video scoring so the most common annoyance I have is trying to get a decent workflow with midi. I'm a terrible keyboard player so the way I have to deal with takes/lanes is very slow for me. I find it easier to rerecord parts instead of editing but I end up with a bunch of lanes that I don't want. I know that no Daw is going to be perfect for everyone so I'll just continue to Support Reaper, learn it well and keep asking for the inprovements I want :-)
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #95
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
Just for the record, I don't think all of it is dissing, but a desire to go well beyond where it's currently at.
That's certainly true in my case. Also, comparisons with other DAWs aren't particularly relevant; if I could get on better with another DAW, I wouldn't be using Reaper. I'm comparing the way that Reaper handles MIDI, not with the way that other DAWs handle MIDI, but with the rather splendid way that Reaper handles everything else.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #96
fullcircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by btodd View Post
If you take your mouse and click and hold while holding the shift key, you can drag the pointer and make a straight slope.
D'oh! Thank you

*retracts gripe*
fullcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #97
ivansc

Quote:
Here's a real time video showing basic MIDI editing is as fast and easy as any DAW, and here's another showing how flexible and easy it is to use MIDI plugins together with synths. Imagine how cumbersome and confusing it would be to route and manage the setup in the second video with other DAWs. (if they would even load..)
If you think that is impressive, you really really need to look at Bars n Pipes Pro.
Reapers suite of plugins and their management/utilisation is childish by comparison.
And that is just n one small area of MIDI sequencing.

As I have said on many occasions both here and on the cakewalk forums you have to know what is possible outside of your own experience before you can appreciate what you DONT have.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #98
Lawrence

Let's be realistic here... a lot of the things where we (yes, I said "we") demonstrate really good things about this sequencer or the next are "cherry picks"... usually only stuff that it actually does well, or stuff that a person uses, not stuff it actually doesn't do well.

Sorry guys, but overall (and I don't even use it anymore ), Cubase is a much deeper midi editor and midi sequencer than Reaper. There are lots of very good lessons to be learned there from anyone developing a sequencer.

You can cherry pick X, Y, or Z from most anywhere but it's more "complete" than any I've ever used.

Look at the Reaper midi list editor and look at Cubase's and tell me with a straight face that its even close. Or the drum editor. Or the Midi Logical Editor. Or the Input Transformer. For God's sake guys... you can't even edit multiple tracks at the same time in Reaper's key editor yet, nor even really attack midi directly from the arrange screen yet.

It's good to talk about it so that it improves.

Looking at it objectively, it does a few things really, really well and it does a lot of things not so well and some things it can't do at all or it's very (subjectively) klunky doing them.

Often times when people say "I've used them all and..." I wonder if they're just being a bit defensive. If you've really (really) used Cubase's edit functions... I don't see how you could not compare them favorably.

If anyone thinks I'm being a fanboy about a product that I don't even use... I can show you with multiple examples... and there are a potential multitude of them. Apps like Reaper and S1 don't even really come close yet.

We really (as a group looking to improve midi in Reaper) have to stop pretending that a key editor is the only place midi ever gets edited. It's not... at least not elsewhere.

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-08-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #99
Lawrence

Here's a classic example of a cherry pick... something really cool that few if any other daws actually even allow, something that I personally use regularly... but it doesn't speak to the other things this sequencer / editor doesn't do well, or do very well yet, or can't do at all, and there are more than a few of those things.

So the purpose of any discussion would be not to talk about what it already does well, but what it could probably do much better. "Editing" is a pretty wide definition... it doesn't just mean "clicking in notes in a key editor".
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #100
EvilDragon

* Cannot edit multiple clips at once.

* Cannot display event list along with piano roll at the same time.

* Inline editing is a joke.

* No logical editor a la Cubase (face it, it is tons useful, Reaper's filter comes nowhere close)

* No note off editing from piano roll.

* No polyphonic aftertouch from piano roll.

* No invert of current note selection (only whole item, as if that's any useful).

* No track-based MIDI editing (see Krueger's videos), dealing with tons of items is not fun at all.

* No easy way to select every other note, or every 4th note of a particular pitch, etc. -> logical editor.

* Zooming issues when opening another MIDI item after closing another one.

* Opening an item with tons of CC lanes can look really ridiculous and completely unworkable. There should be a dedicated vertical scrollbar for CC lanes.

* No predictable MIDI preview in item container in the arrange view.

There are probably some more serious issues in there, but yeah, Reaper's MIDI is definitely not yet satisfying.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #101
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There are probably some more serious issues in there, but yeah, Reaper's MIDI is definitely not yet satisfying.
It has some issues (they all do) and it's certainly usable for many people, as evidenced by the music they made with it. I just personally reject this idea that it's a really good midi sequencer / editor overall. On the same measurement scale of Cubase and similar, etc, "overall" (the context) ... it's really not.

It's more of a work in progress with some good parts and lots of bad parts. Ignoring the (subjective) bad parts doesn't really help anyone when it can (and will) be much better.

Here's a contextual analogy. Cubase's Midi Logical Editor compares to Reaper like Reaper's macro scripting compares to PT... which doesn't have any macro scripting. Nobody needs macros to make music but it sure comes in handy huh?

So going "meh" for stuff we don't actually have yet, just because we don't have it yet, isn't the best approach.

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-08-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #102
amrodan

To be honest I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with Reaper's midi. Ive customized it through actions to have all of the features I need in a piano roll. The main problem for me in the end is that it just is not as fast, smooth, or well thought out as FLStudio's piano roll. Of course this is just an opinion, but when I go back to FLStudio and open the piano roll, songs begin pouring out, when I use reaper I mostly end up fighting the piano roll.

Unfortunately FLStudio sucks at handling hardware so I'm really stuck between the two DAWS.

I'd really love for Reaper's midi implementation to improve. I do love the Plugin Delay Compensation and how well everything lines up, but the midi editor drops the usefulness of the software down a few notches.
amrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #103
benmrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panphobia View Post
Yes the midi could be better. It is slightly buggy, and lacks a few features of other daws. Hoowever, it is good enough, and can only get better.

A recent bug (?) I had was that midi notes were slightly off when zooming in, without applying any humanize functions. Maybe there is something on by default. Not a big deal, and easy to fix (I guess, but still some wasted time).
THIS!!!!!!! I had the joy of working for a few hours and then wondering why things weren't sounding as tight as usual. Then I zoomed in on a few notes only to realize they were not lined up at all. Checked some other notes.... and it was a real mess. No humanizing done or anything. I don't think the grid is very reliable at all especially when set to values higher than a 16th..... Triplets seem especially bad.
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #104
dea-man

Default Can anyone else confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmrx View Post
THIS!!!!!!! I had the joy of working for a few hours and then wondering why things weren't sounding as tight as usual. Then I zoomed in on a few notes only to realize they were not lined up at all. Checked some other notes.... and it was a real mess. No humanizing done or anything. I don't think the grid is very reliable at all especially when set to values higher than a 16th..... Triplets seem especially bad.
Yes, I though I noticed something like this before, then it seemed to go away. Now that I read here about it, it confirms what I though was happening.

Sometimes, after quantizing midi, the events do not line up!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #105
benmrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Yes, I though I noticed something like this before, then it seemed to go away. Now that I read here about it, it confirms what I though was happening.

Sometimes, after quantizing midi, the events do not line up!
I'm not even using the quantize command though! Just drawing in notes and then using modifiers to move particular notes to the next/previous grid point. There should be zero chance of notes being off the grid.
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #106
dea-man

Default Uh-oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmrx View Post
I'm not even using the quantize command though! Just drawing in notes and then using modifiers to move particular notes to the next/previous grid point. There should be zero chance of notes being off the grid.
Oh! Oh wow!

At first I wondered if it was just an imprecise graphic rendering of the events, but you say you could tell that things were not tight, timing wise, eh?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #107
chrisharbin

The consensus is people are woefully underwhelmed with midi in reaper. So what now?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #108
Tod

Quote:
The consensus is people are woefully underwhelmed with midi in reaper. So what now?
Heh heh, convince the devs they need to work on the midi when they get done with the OSC.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #109
chrisharbin

Allot of these feature requests have been going on for ever. Maybe it's time for a rebellion!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #110
dea-man

Default Let's just suppose......

.....what if I start another thread entitled something like:
ATTN REAPER DEVS: REAPER MIDI REBELLION, or

OCCUPY REAPER MIDI NOW!

I would ask everyone who is dissatisfied with the midi in Reaper to add to the thread and suggest, very briefly, what they would like to see improved. Perhaps comparing Reaper's midi with some other more favorable DAW midi work flow.

Would that help?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #111
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
hmm I think you might not understand the meaning of the bolded word.

as I've said before, the only faster midi editor for me is FLStudio and that's kind of a mess in some ways.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #112
Lawrence

It occurs to me that while flapping my gums that I never actually answered the question in the thread title... which is a loaded question...

Question: "What's terrible about Reaper's MIDI."

Answer: Nothing.

"Terrible" is a very strong and immediately negative adjective.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #113
V'ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If you think that is impressive, you really really need to look at Bars n Pipes Pro.
Reapers suite of plugins and their management/utilisation is childish by comparison.
And that is just n one small area of MIDI sequencing.

As I have said on many occasions both here and on the cakewalk forums you have to know what is possible outside of your own experience before you can appreciate what you DONT have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Sorry guys, but overall (and I don't even use it anymore ), Cubase is a much deeper midi editor and midi sequencer than Reaper.
The point obviously lost here is that Reaper is far from terrible as the thread should have it, not how some DAWs can do certain things better..

And for things some DAWs does better they do something else not as well. It's about how you work with MIDI and the total experience that counts, and for me Reaper excels for points I have mentioned and many more. Yes, Cubase has a good logical editor, but compared to how much I used that to how much I had to put up with tools and a simple thing like transposing and MIDI plugin routing on a per-minute basis, it is moot. BarsnPipes might have some clever things, but can it do all the other things that Reaper can? I doubt it.

Reapers MIDI is not terrible, it is in fact very good. Can it be improved? Certainly.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #114
Lawrence

Quote:
The point obviously lost here is that Reaper is far from terrible as the thread should have it, not how some DAWs can do certain things better..

Quote:
It occurs to me that while flapping my gums that I never actually answered the question in the thread title... which is a loaded question...

Question: "What's terrible about Reaper's MIDI."

Answer: Nothing.

"Terrible" is a very strong and immediately negative adjective.

^^^^^^^^^

IIRC, you were the one who started making direct comparisons to other products here.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=85

So maybe it's at least partly your fault it went that way?

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-08-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #115
Tod

Quote:

OCCUPY REAPER MIDI NOW!

I would ask everyone who is dissatisfied with the midi in Reaper to add to the thread and suggest, very briefly, what they would like to see improved. Perhaps comparing Reaper's midi with some other more favorable DAW midi work flow.

Would that help?
Actually I don't think that would work very well dea-man, just too many various opinions.

However, if a couple of the moderators could put together a list of the most voted for midi FRs, that might be a good way to go about it. Maybe start out with the 10 most popular to keep it focused. Moderators like Mercado, gofer, and Ollie (at least I think they're moderators).
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #116
V'ger

Quote:
IIRC, you were the one who started making direct comparisons to other products here.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=85

So maybe it's at least partly your fault it went that way?
No I didn't start it, but I did write wrongly when I really meant "not how some other DAWs can do certain things better"
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #117
Lawrence

Quote:
No I didn't start it, but I did write wrongly when I really meant "not how some other DAWs can do certain things better"
Deja Vu.

Jack: What's wrong with Sonar?

Jim: Nothing. The channel strip is great! Audio Quantizing is great! Best ever. I love it. Nothing wrong with it... (paraphrase)... the Q widget is brilliant, better than Cubase.

Joe: But what about X widget or Y function in Cubase?

Jim: Well... but we're not comparing features or talking about things that are better in X or Y really and I didn't use those things in Cubase.

Joe: But I did use those things so I answer based on me using those things. And you just did compare, in great detail. ??

Been there multiple times. And yeah, I take some responsibility as I could certainly see it coming. It's almost like people try to answer the question for - you - , based on their own feelings about it.

Anyway, if it's not about (for differing by person subjective opinions) things being done "better", what is it about exactly?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #118
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:

OCCUPY REAPER MIDI NOW!

Would that help?
Wouldn't that be just this same thread yet again? Not to say that we didn't have this same thread several times before...
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #119
V'ger

Quote:
Deja Vu.

Jack: What's wrong with Sonar?

Jim: Nothing. The channel strip is great! Audio Quantizing is great! Best ever. I love it. Nothing wrong with it... (paraphrase)... the Q widget is brilliant, better than Cubase.

Joe: But what about X widget or Y function in Cubase?

Jim: Well... but we're not comparing features or talking about things that are better in X or Y really and I didn't use those things in Cubase.

Joe: But I did use those things so I answer based on me using those things. And you just did compare, in great detail. ??

Been there multiple times. And yeah, I take some responsibility as I could certainly see it coming. It's almost like people try to answer the question for - you - , based on their own feelings about it.

Anyway, if it's not about (for differing by person subjective opinions) things being done "better", what is it about exactly?
Reaper is not terrible because some other DAWs can do certain things better. Reaper is proved not terrible by comparing it to other DAWs, there's a difference there.

Peace.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #120
gofer
-blänk-

One thing is really well spotted in L-dawgs dialogoe there:

Just like Jack, the OP of this thread didn't take part in the discussion other than posing the question
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote