Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #81
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman007 View Post
You suck!!!! Linux is a real Operating system.
Way better than any version of wind blows.
It may suck for you, since you are an armature.
People are really ignorant.
You might be interested to know I make my living with Linux, and have since about 1997. I was mostly a SunOS (that was before it became Solaris) guy prior to that. I use it for public safety systems, and have probably forgotten more about it than you have ever known.

It sucks on the desktop. I've got a fairly modern laptop over there on my couch with Centos7 installed on it. It sucks. I even installed Reaper on it, just because its now a release. It would be great if it wasn't on that crappy Linux desktop.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #82
midiman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
You might be interested to know I make my living with Linux, and have since about 1997. I was mostly a SunOS (that was before it became Solaris) guy prior to that. I use it for public safety systems, and have probably forgotten more about it than you have ever known.

It sucks on the desktop. I've got a fairly modern laptop over there on my couch with Centos7 installed on it. It sucks. I even installed Reaper on it, just because its now a release. It would be great if it wasn't on that crappy Linux desktop.
I make my living on all OS's and Linux is far better than any version of Win blows.
I use Linux Mint on the desktop and I have found out of the box it's the best Distro. Hat's Off Linux Mint guys great distro. Upgrades from one version of mint are 1,2,3. Online and easy. I started on 14 and have upgraded my box to 19 online. Wind blows can not do that. Has windows gotten better yes, not better than Linux.

No OS is perfect, but for you to say Linux sucks is really ignorant in my book.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #83
bulevardi

Linux Mint is the most stable, user-friendly and full featured linux I've been testing in the past 4 or 5 years.

And now it runs Reaper perfectly, without flaws, installing with an easy installer.
ALSA working directly, no hassle with Jack.

Why would I ever go back to Windows?
I'm already more than 6 months windows-free now at home. ^^
Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #84
midiman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Linux Mint is the most stable, user-friendly and full featured linux I've been testing in the past 4 or 5 years.

And now it runs Reaper perfectly, without flaws, installing with an easy installer.
ALSA working directly, no hassle with Jack.

Why would I ever go back to Windows?
I'm already more than 6 months windows-free now at home. ^^
I have to agree with you. As far as a internet box I have been using it for 10 years. No problems at all. Upgrades are a dream. Updates download and apply on old hardware fast. I have not used it as a DAW yet. Since I really do not like the looks and also the confusion of the native focus rite mix control.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #85
bulevardi

Quote:
I have to agree with you. As far as a internet box I have been using it for 10 years. No problems at all. Upgrades are a dream. Updates download and apply on old hardware fast. I have not used it as a DAW yet. Since I really do not like the looks and also the confusion of the native focus rite mix control.
For a music, I had trouble finding the right daw for linux.
Last couple of years I have been testing nearly every daw possible to work on linux, and it has been an adventure, on different distros.

But the last year the developers seem to get it to a higher level.
Tracktion works now better than ever on Linux (however, with a few minor problems), and Reaper now does it great too.
Both daws worked perfectly on Linux before for other users with other settings, but I always had problems connecting my interface etc...
I noticed, now that I installed Reaper again yesterday, it works like a charm. All bugs I had are fixed now, in the last half year I've been out experimenting with other stuff.
(only 3rd party vst's like the ones for windows, I can't run them yet)

I also do pro photography work with RawTherapee under Linux, and using Gimp to edit. (my album artworks are done within Linux too)

For office, I use LibreOffice, it does all that is needed, and will program some more macros next year for it, as I had lots of macros running in Excel before.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #86
midiman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
For a music, I had trouble finding the right daw for linux.
Last couple of years I have been testing nearly every daw possible to work on linux, and it has been an adventure, on different distros.

But the last year the developers seem to get it to a higher level.
Tracktion works now better than ever on Linux (however, with a few minor problems), and Reaper now does it great too.
Both daws worked perfectly on Linux before for other users with other settings, but I always had problems connecting my interface etc...
I noticed, now that I installed Reaper again yesterday, it works like a charm. All bugs I had are fixed now, in the last half year I've been out experimenting with other stuff.
(only 3rd party vst's like the ones for windows, I can't run them yet)

I also do pro photography work with RawTherapee under Linux, and using Gimp to edit. (my album artworks are done within Linux too)

For office, I use LibreOffice, it does all that is needed, and will program some more macros next year for it, as I had lots of macros running in Excel before.
Did you have to install the low latency kernel for your DAW?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #87
bulevardi

Quote:
Did you have to install the low latency kernel for your DAW?
No, haven't changed anything to that, as far as I know.

I previously installed another daw (Tracktion) on this same computer, I don't know if that changed the Kernel to a low latency one, behind my back... normally not I guess.