Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
lum
Human being with feelings

Default Highlight selected track more clearly

Hi,

Reaper V4 theme: I feel a nagging sensation about the track highlight not being bright enough and having trouble seeing it, even though when I look directly AT it, it seems ok.

The selection highlight should be clear enough that I can see it even if I am not looking at it.

If you make a selection of files in MS or Apple file browser, but then look at a different window on the other side of the screen, the contrast of the selection range in these file browsers can still clearly be felt.

Reaper V4 theme has Light-Shade-of-Gray vs. Lighter-Shade-of-Gray to designate the selection.
Out the corner of my eye, they blur into eachother.

My FR is that the V5 theme has a crisp, clear track-selection highlight.

Thanks for your consideration,
lum

Last edited by lum; 01-28-2012 at 02:56 AM.
lum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

*bump*

this would be really good!
... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
DarkStar

???
It very clear here - but my monitor Contrast and Brightness settings are turned down (38% and 41%).
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by lum View Post
Hi,

Reaper V4 theme: I feel a nagging sensation about the track highlight not being bright enough and having trouble seeing it, even though when I look directly AT it, it seems ok.

The selection highlight should be clear enough that I can see it even if I am not looking at it.

If you make a selection of files in MS or Apple file browser, but then look at a different window on the other side of the screen, the contrast of the selection range in these file browsers can still clearly be felt.

Reaper V4 theme has Light-Shade-of-Gray vs. Lighter-Shade-of-Gray to designate the selection.

lum
Hi,

U know this is "easily" changed by u no? Go to Reaper Resource path /Color themes ....Make a copy of The default theme...rename it to include a period before the word "Zip".
Now extract it there as u would any Zip file...U now have a folder and a theme file. 2 of the images in that folder are called....mcp_bgsel.png and tcp_bgsel.png. Those are the images for selected tracks backround in the mixer and the tcp respectivly.

open those .pngs up in gimp or whatever and darken them or change them however...and then save it back to where i t came from..
U can do this while Reaper is still open{so u can see ur results} BUT u have to change or reload the theme once.
Before Reaper i dint even know what a png was...so thats y i call it easy.
if u know graphic stuff, u could make it so a spotlight "shines" on ur selected track.

Tip..if u dont already know^^..In Preferences /Appearence/Theme Editor... at the bottom right is a button called Theme Element finder...in that box u can see a list of all the "pngs" that are used in that theme. Try going thru that list..u may become "hooked"

hope this helps..

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
airon

The track highlighting is ok. It's a compromise in my opinion but it's far from what it should be, which is clear and easy spot.

What good examples of track highlighting from other themes do we have ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Scoox

This problem is aggravated when track backgrounds are colored: It is impossible to tell if a coloured track is selected just by looking at it in the mixer.

Thus we need a dedicated indicator such as a narrow white band at the bottom of each selected track.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
This problem is aggravated when track backgrounds are colored: It is impossible to tell if a coloured track is selected just by looking at it in the mixer.

Thus we need a dedicated indicator such as a narrow white band at the bottom of each selected track.
Hi,

Plz see answer above^^

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
ramses

Quote:
Hi,

lum
Yep. Even though this is quite an easy fix (if you know how), it is the one aspect of the default theme that rally irks me. Perhaps someone could post a link to an improved version in this thread for easy access?
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Amazed

Don't know so much about the mixer but in the arranger view I have found building an empty border around the tcp can be helpful. The tracks appear more separated and the selected track pops a bit better.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
Nip

Quote:
Hi,

lum
It was my first struggle with Reaper - took an evening to get it usable.

You want the active - now playing items - on each track to be easily spotted.

And which track is the active track as well.

You have to get into color settings which takes a while understanding it all. Some of the additive parameters for color as well finally did the trick for me. Some detective work.

To spot active item allowing a fat colored line on top was helpful for me as well. There is a on/off for that.

I wonder if the default theme really was made by anyone doing recording with Reaper.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
heda

Try this theme
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=118222

but sometimes... I have a green track... selected becomes yellow... this happens also on the default theme.

Last edited by heda; 05-13-2013 at 04:59 AM.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Hi,

Plz see answer above^^

Guido
This should be core functionality, the above answer is not very useful and doesn't work if the track panel background is coloured.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Don't know so much about the mixer but in the arranger view I have found building an empty border around the tcp can be helpful. The tracks appear more separated and the selected track pops a bit better.
Care to elaborate? Please?

I want something like this but also on my TCPs/MCPs... Is this possible in other themes? Default Analog in my case. I would like to disable the change in brightness to go along with this, as a selected dark red track looks a lot like an unselected light red one. Or maybe tone it down a little anyway. I'd be happy just with the border.

Last edited by FnA; 05-13-2013 at 06:21 AM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
James HE

Play around with the shading and fill modes to find something you like. I like Unselected to be 0.

James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Care to elaborate? Please?

I want something like this but also on my TCPs/MCPs... Is this possible in other themes? Default Analog in my case. I would like to disable the change in brightness to go along with this, as a selected dark red track looks a lot like an unselected light red one. Or maybe tone it down a little anyway. I'd be happy just with the border.

I just went into the default theme file and edited the tcp_*.png files.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
FnA

Use a certain program for that? Did it give results kind of like what is shown in the link I posted? Sounds kind of spooky. Theming noob. I'll take a look at what Guido said...

edit- It's all right to leave it at that Amazed. Don't bother unless the answer is easy.

Were you answering me James? Does that stuff affect the TCP/MCP panels? Not home now.

Last edited by FnA; 05-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
James HE

Quote:

Were you answering me James? Does that stuff affect the TCP/MCP panels? Not home now.
oh booger.... lol thought you guys were talking about the media, not the track.

I don't use colored track panels, I color the track label. I find colored track panels hideous, except in a few themes.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
FnA

I tend to agree concerning the default theme. Shocking vile colors. Don't much care for the gray tracks either. Gives me a headache. It doesn't bother me with Default Analog's black backgrounds.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Amazed

Quote:
I tend to agree concerning the default theme. Shocking vile colors. Don't much care for the gray tracks either. Gives me a headache. It doesn't bother me with Default Analog's black backgrounds.
Also see this.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...06#post1178306
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
FnA

All right. Thanks. Maybe I'll try that sometime. That tcp png looks baffling to me. I see there's also some separate files for the number section in TCP and the name section in MCP. Was tempted to try the _xxx trick on those, but chickened out. Some people shouldn't mess around too much. I got my hands full of other difficulties. Undo is driving me nuts about now.

Sorry lum, but I guess this is a discussion thread and different people want different things. Hopefully some day there will be a few more easy to manage options in this department. At least something that could set it off a little regardless of color scheme.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
andrewh

This is somewhat related. I wondered if anybody would know how to accomplish this:

Is it possible to have something similar to "Big Clock" but instead it displays the name of the selected track? Obviously, I would only want it to display a name if only one track was selected. If more than one track is selected, it could be blank, or something else.

The idea here is to get a Faderport setup with its pan knob quickly selecting different tracks with the name of the selected track showing up nice and clear.
andrewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #22
andrewh

bumping this up. I would love to be able to do this, if possible. It would also avoid accidentally adjusting faders on a track that I did not know was selected.
andrewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #23
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewh View Post
bumping this up. I would love to be able to do this, if possible. It would also avoid accidentally adjusting faders on a track that I did not know was selected.
i feel it too sometimes! probably there is an option i didn't find .
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #24
hejmathias

I’ll just add this for the people coming here via Google in search for clearer signs when a track is selected:

Based on the input of the thread I experimented with small alterations to the default theme (v5). The result works for me - and if anyone’s interested, screenshot, the necessary files and description of installation can be found here: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2174/H...20theme%29.rar

Best,
M
hejmathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #25
lanceaustin

For making a selected track appear more obviously so, I keep seeing this advice:

1. Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\ColorThem es.
2. Make a backup copy of "Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip".
3. Rename “Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip "Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip.zip
4. Open "Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip.zip" and go to the folder "Default_5.0_unpacked" inside it.

But my problem is: My ColorThemes folder does not contain this zip file. I have this one instead:

Default_5.0

Examining this file's properties, it does appear to be a zip with the above-mentioned name; but as it is, I can't find a way to unpack or extract from it as the instructions suggest.

I'm running a portable install of Reaper, if that helps.
lanceaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #26
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceaustin View Post
For making a selected track appear more obviously so, I keep seeing this advice:

1. Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\ColorThem es.
2. Make a backup copy of "Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip".
3. Rename “Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip "Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip.zip
4. Open "Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip.zip" and go to the folder "Default_5.0_unpacked" inside it.

But my problem is: My ColorThemes folder does not contain this zip file. I have this one instead:

Default_5.0

Examining this file's properties, it does appear to be a zip with the above-mentioned name; but as it is, I can't find a way to unpack or extract from it as the instructions suggest.

I'm running a portable install of Reaper, if that helps.
Do you have file extensions turned off in Win Explorer?
Click the View tab, and make sure "File Extensions" is checked. Then the file should show up as "Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip", and you can follow the instructions you posted.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #27
lanceaustin

Fabian, thank you so much for your awesome advice!!! I am gonna try this ASAP.
lanceaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #28
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by hejmathias View Post
I’ll just add this for the people coming here via Google in search for clearer signs when a track is selected:

Based on the input of the thread I experimented with small alterations to the default theme (v5). The result works for me - and if anyone’s interested, screenshot, the necessary files and description of installation can be found here: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2174/H...20theme%29.rar

Best,
M
THANKS for this. This is exactly what I needed for certain themes. I used the "icon" .png and the tcp_bgsel.png for the iLogic Next Free 1.1 theme (by BlankFiles) and I can easily see the white rectangle (for the track number) and the highlighted icon border, when that track is selected. Sadly I can't get a "halo" around the selected track, like in certain themes (maybe it's just the way BlankFiles programmed it) but, I love it with your additions (I didn't use the 3rd .png, just the two I mentioned). Superb work, my friend. THANK you again.

-Chris