Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
nickal
Human being with feelings

Default Don't lock tracks after render/freeze option?

Hello,

I hope everyone is staying safe.

I'm working in a project where I use a lot of stems. Is there an option to have Reaper NOT lock the resulting clips after rendering/freezing? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I can't find a solution and unlocking them all is very time consuming. Thank you.
nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
akademie

Why are you freezing to get stems? (it locks items by design ... well you did "froze" it, didn't you?)
Why aren't you using "Render track(s) to stems..." instead? (it does not locks anything)

If you manually unlock frozen items and edit them in any way, then you break the ability to "unfreeze" track if needed! So if you don't need that functionality, the Render stem actions are for you.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
nickal

Default Reply

I AM rendering to stems but the render process also locks the resultant clips - which I don't want it to do. I put "freeze / render" because both processes result in locked clips and I am wondering if there's an option to not have that happen. Thank you.
nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickal View Post
I AM rendering to stems but the render process also locks the resultant clips - which I don't want it to do. I put "freeze / render" because both processes result in locked clips and I am wondering if there's an option to not have that happen. Thank you.
Standard Render track to stems DOES NOT lock up resulting "stem" tracks and their media items!
It seems like you do use some script running in background???
Make portable installation of latest Reaper version (so it has laa default settings), then create some tracks and perform Render to stems opertion, check if new media items (on new stem track(s)) are locked.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
SoundGuyDave

It depends on whether the stems are being rendered for export or for internal use... If you right-click on a track and select "render to..." (mono/stereo/multi-track) there is no option other than to mute the original track. If you're rendering the tracks for internal use, this saves time as it simultaneously renders the track and creates a new track with the rendered file.

If you render off the render menu (file/render/stems (selected tracks) then it exports the render which you would then need to import into the project if it's for internal use.

I guess the real question is what are you intending with the rendered stems?
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote