Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #441
jaaypeso
Human being with feelings

Just submitted my vote for this feature in the bitbucket forum. Thanks Rob! and keep up the amazing work Helgoboss!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #442
helgoboss

Released Playtime 1.10.0

Changes:
#176 Added slot context menu entry 'MIDI overdub' and automation parameter 'MIDI overdub selected slot' to iteratively overdub MIDI clips
#160 Added trigger action 'Record (!) -> Play -> Stop' to enable a 'Record -> Play -> Stop -> Record -> Play -> Stop -> ...' workflow for each slot. In this mode, a stopped non-empty slot will be overwritten with a new recording as soon as it is triggered! This mode temporarily turns 'Auto-play recorded clips' on and 'Exclusive mode' off.
#43 Added settings option 'Pool-MIDI-on-write mode' to decide if items written to the timeline are pooled or unpooled copies of the original clips (by default pooled)
#43 Added possibility to decide whether to make pooled or unpooled copies of MIDI clips by adopting REAPER's own settings. Copy and paste behavior without drag'n'drop is decided by REAPER option 'Pool MIDI source data when pasting or duplicating media items' whereas drag'n'drop behavior is decided by REAPER mouse modifiers. Breaking changes: If you go with REAPER's default mouse modifiers, you now need to hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt while dragging the clip if you want pooled copies! Plus, if you go with REAPER's default value for 'Pool Midi source data when pasting or duplicating media items', unpooled copies are created when copying without drag'n'drop.
#98 Added settings options 'Record start time' and 'Record stop time' (aka trigger/untrigger mode for recording)
#98 Improved settings structure by renaming 'Trigger mode' to 'Play start time' and 'Untrigger mode' to 'Play stop time'
#160 Improved settings structure by renaming 'Record-if-slot-empty mode' = 'Off' to 'Trigger action' = 'Play -> Stop/retrigger' and renaming 'Record-if-slot-empty mode' = 'On' to 'Trigger action' = 'Record/play -> Stop/retrigger'
#177 Fixed crash when loading project which has > 8x8 slots and viewport was scrolled on last save

Last edited by helgoboss; 11-21-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Highlight breaking changes
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #443
jaaypeso

update looks awesome! Gotta download and try the new midi overdub mode as soon as I get home!
Old 11-22-2015, 02:01 AM   #444
RobU

Default Bug in MIDI overdub mode ?

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the updates and new features!

MIDI unpooled copying is working as expected

However, I think I have discovered a bug in the MIDI Overdub mode - steps to replicate:

Start REAPER
Insert track from template - Playtime
Insert virtual instrument on new track - ReaSynth
Track recording settings (Track 2) - Quantize track MIDI recording (1/16)
Open Playtime (ctrl-shift p)
Right-click Group 1, use selected track as group (Track 2)
Double-click slot 1, group 1, to new create 1 measure clip
Double-click clip 1, insert notes in MIDI editor, close MIDI editor, exit Playtime Edit mode
* Check Length
* Open clip 1 properties - Length is 1.0.0
* Open MIDI item properties - Length is 4.0 quarter notes
* Close all properties windows
Right-click clip 1, select MIDI overdub, let it run for one or two bars, press space bar to stop
* Check Length
* Open clip properties - Length is 1.0.0
* Open MIDI item properties - Length is 4.1 quarter notes - BUG !

Subsequent MIDI overdubs alter the length of the MIDI item by random amounts. On playback, the clip is no longer sync to tempo due to the incorrectly sized item (looping is offset by .1 or more qn per loop).

Also, I do not quite understand how to stop MIDI overdub and resume playing the clip.
I expected to be able to press the clip launch button to stop overdub and return to playback mode (like normal record mode), but this doesn't happen. It appears that the only way to resume normal playback of the clip is to stop REAPER's transport completely (Space), then relaunch clip. Is that the intended behaviour? It would be really cool to stop overdub and restart clip (according to settings) just by pressing the clip launch button again.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited by RobU; 11-22-2015 at 02:10 AM. Reason: typos...
RobU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #445
jaaypeso

Update is working great except for the aforementioned bugs. One other issue is that the midi overdub mode appears to only overwrite midi data and not all you to record on top of the existing midi data that has already been recorded. Is there any way to change this?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:38 AM   #446
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
That would be ideal in my opinion. Just like how Live/Bitwig does it. You don't see the "clips" until you want to actually record them unto the timeline.

Especially if you have an existing song and want to add Playtime to jam along and create new parts it's distracting to always have the items showing up and moving around constantly.

If Playtime needs to put things on the timeline to work, it would be better if it was in the middle of nowhere where it doesn't need to be seen in my opinion (at least as an option).
If it's just the distraction: You can always hide tracks in REAPER (View -> Track Manager -> Remove dot in column TCP). Do that for the tracks controlled by Playtime and you won't see any items showing up and moving around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
this exactly. it'd make playtime a one-of-a-kind sampler. it could also be loaded with preset midi files to send to external hardware or to plugins, and you could trigger such clips without putting anything on the timeline. very very few plugins do this -- and none with such a reaper-friendly interface.

figure this feature out and i promise to make some badass video tutorials, helgoboss.
I guess what really bothers you guys is not so much the distraction (since you can always hide tracks) but the fact that Playtime requires REAPER to play back the project in order to work. Right?

I've already made some experiments in this direction and at some day I'm planning to add an experimental mode for playing items without REAPER starting to play back the project and without items appearing on the track. But this way of playback will probably always be limited compared to the current "put items on timeline" mode. There are actually 2 ways of achieving it and each of them has drawbacks:

Way 1:
- Plays back on a track of your choice (so considers that track's FX - nice)
- Doesn't take into account: item fades, take FX, time stretch, take playrate, item cuts, take envelopes, take pitch shift. It will just play back the raw source material (MIDI or audio).

Way 2:
- Plays back on the Playtime track (as output of the VST plugin - so only considers the FX on the Playtime track - not so nice)
- Only possible for audio
- Takes into account: take playrate, take envelopes, item cuts, take pitch shift, maybe time stretch
- Doesn't take into account: item fades, take FX

Question is ... does it still have an advantage for users with that kind of drawbacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4943 View Post
I want to trigger pre-recorded audio clips with an Akai APC Mini to a single dedicated ‘sound fx’ track in real time while recording my podcast. Ya know, sound fx like Homer Simpson saying “doh!” if one of the hosts talks about doing something dumb.
Will this program allow me to do that?
That's pretty much what it is about, although for that simple use case you can also use REAPER's built-in ReaSamplOmatic5000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robu_23 View Post
Hi Benjamin -

Working on a project with Playtime, I assembled a bunch of loops, assigned them to clips to work on later, saved the project. Loaded up the project later this evening and crash..

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 5.0.1.0
Application Timestamp: 55de05aa
Fault Module Name: Playtime.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.9.1.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5637c250
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000001b9d48
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: d8a0
Additional Information 2: d8a05c52bae7da23e8644d5410cf623f
Additional Information 3: 25c8
Additional Information 4: 25c840b1ef18f5693f78ade63eddfaa2

Interestingly, I can open the project.BAK file, however, after saving again to a new project, it crashes while loading with the same error.

I can send you the project file(s) if you want to take a look. Also opened an issue on Playtime bitbucket tracker.

Thanks
R
Just for protocol, that's fixed now.

Quote:
Hello Benjamin,

Can we get an option in the preferences to change the default clip copy behavior to create an un-pooled item?

At the moment, making an un-pooled copy takes an additional 5 steps to navigate through the item properties

Press <F2> Open Item Properties
Click Open Take media source Properties
Click Un-pool this item
Click OK (close Take media source)
Click OK (close Media Item Properties)

Or, you have to locate the Item in the arrange view, zoom in, click the Un-pool icon - this is fiddly but OK unless there are many items on the same track (and frequently there are...) in which case it's very time-consuming..

It's a bit of a workflow killer

Many thanks
For protocol, this is configurable now.

Quote:
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the updates and new features!

MIDI unpooled copying is working as expected

However, I think I have discovered a bug in the MIDI Overdub mode - steps to replicate:

Start REAPER
Insert track from template - Playtime
Insert virtual instrument on new track - ReaSynth
Track recording settings (Track 2) - Quantize track MIDI recording (1/16)
Open Playtime (ctrl-shift p)
Right-click Group 1, use selected track as group (Track 2)
Double-click slot 1, group 1, to new create 1 measure clip
Double-click clip 1, insert notes in MIDI editor, close MIDI editor, exit Playtime Edit mode
* Check Length
* Open clip 1 properties - Length is 1.0.0
* Open MIDI item properties - Length is 4.0 quarter notes
* Close all properties windows
Right-click clip 1, select MIDI overdub, let it run for one or two bars, press space bar to stop
* Check Length

Subsequent MIDI overdubs alter the length of the MIDI item by random amounts. On playback, the clip is no longer sync to tempo due to the incorrectly sized item (looping is offset by .1 or more qn per loop).

Also, I do not quite understand how to stop MIDI overdub and resume playing the clip.
I expected to be able to press the clip launch button to stop overdub and return to playback mode (like normal record mode), but this doesn't happen. It appears that the only way to resume normal playback of the clip is to stop REAPER's transport completely (Space), then relaunch clip. Is that the intended behaviour? It would be really cool to stop overdub and restart clip (according to settings) just by pressing the clip launch button again.

Cheers
Rob
I will look into that bug.

Yes, the intended way of stopping MIDI overdub is pressing REAPER's stop button. Or if you have assigned a MIDI button with CC Mode "Toggle", you can also press that button again - but it will have the same effect: stopping REAPER playback. Right now, MIDI overdub is not a new clip recording mode for Playtime, it's rather a shortcut to overdub a specific item the typical REAPER way. Consider it as a new way of editing an existing MIDI clip. It also puts the clip at the end of the project so no other clip on the same track interferes with the MIDI overdub recording. Improvement suggestions welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaypeso View Post
Update is working great except for the aforementioned bugs. One other issue is that the midi overdub mode appears to only overwrite midi data and not all you to record on top of the existing midi data that has already been recorded. Is there any way to change this?
Oh, that's weird. It should not overwrite at all. Can you check that while MIDI overdubbing "Record: MIDI overdub" is activated while MIDI overdubbing and not "Record: MIDI replace" (right click on track arm button)?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #447
RobU

Quote:
[...]
* Check Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I will look into that bug.
Many thanks !

Quote:
Yes, the intended way of stopping MIDI overdub is pressing REAPER's stop button [...]
Right now, MIDI overdub is not a new clip recording mode for Playtime, it's rather a shortcut to overdub a specific item the typical REAPER way[...]
Understood, and (midi item size looping issue aside ) it works well the way it is implemented.

Quote:
Improvement suggestions welcome.
Well, as you're asking :

1. An Overdub button next to the Write button that can be activated and deactivated on-the-fly for the selected (midi) clip. I think that it would be next to impossible to switch seamlessly to another clip while Overdub is active, so deactivating Overdub when selecting another clip would be fine.

Thinking out loud.. I don't know if that would be possible given the way that it is being handled at the moment, since the overdub is taking place in an item at the end of the project, which (I guess) is being moved back to start of project after stopping the transport. That would make a 'seamless' overdub pretty tricky.

You said that it's done that way to prevent other items on the same track from interfering with overdub recording, but I can't see how that could happen. Can you explain, please ?

2. When Overdub mode is activated using the current menu option (or via the proposed button) and REAPER transport is stopped, then Playtime should not start the transport until I hit the play button on a clip or a scene. If the transport is already running, then Playtime should start overdubbing the currently selected clip immediately. Would be good to 'prime' overdub mode, then hit a key on my controller to start playback/recording.

Oh, I meant to say, I really like the way that Playtime respects the pre-roll/count-in settings of the metronome

Quote:
Oh, that's weird. It should not overwrite at all. Can you check that while MIDI overdubbing "Record: MIDI overdub" is activated while MIDI overdubbing and not "Record: MIDI replace" (right click on track arm button)?
No issues with overwriting midi parts here, overdub is working as expected...

Once again, I just want to say many thanks for this great tool. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I'm very happy that I purchased a license

Cheers
Rob
Old 11-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #448
wholehalf

Default Tempo Changes in Project

Hi and thanks for the awesome plugin, bought it and love it...
I am trying to put together a project for live performance where each scene is a part of a song (verse, chorus etc.). My problem is that tempos vary from song to song. Is it possible to change the tempo from scene to scene, for example to have scenes 1-4 at 4/4 128 bpm for the first song, and then scenes 5-9 at 4/4 60 bpm for the second song and so on?
wholehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #449
jaaypeso

Quote:

Must've been something weird in that particular trial but overdub is working perfectly as expected.

And as promised I had to make the purchase. Playtime adds creative functionality to reaper and I really appreciate your responsiveness on the forum.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #450
RobU

Quote:
Must've been something weird in that particular trial but overdub is working perfectly as expected.

And as promised I had to make the purchase. Playtime adds creative functionality to reaper and I really appreciate your responsiveness on the forum.
Have you encountered the this overdub bug ? http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=478

It makes overdub mode pretty much useless for me at the moment - any time I try to overdub, the midi item length increases which puts the loop out of sync.

Just wondering if it might be a Reaper option/setting rather than a genuine bug

Cheers
Rob
Old 11-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #451
jaaypeso

Quote:
Have you encountered the this overdub bug ? http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=478

It makes overdub mode pretty much useless for me at the moment - any time I try to overdub, the midi item length increases which puts the loop out of sync.

Cheers
Rob
My issue is a little different. For some reason after I use overdub, my clips no longer loop. They just play and stop without looping. I wouldn't call this a bug yet since I only tried overdub for 15 minutes. I'm gonna try it again with a new session tonight and I'll post my results sometime tonight/tomorrow. I'll also look into the bug you reported to see if I am having the same issue. Happy Thanksgiving out there.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #452
Simonblarkin

I bought this a couple of weeks ago i havent had time to dive in too deep but what I have tried works great and I can now use my launchpad in reaper. The need to use other daw's less and is less and less.......that makes me very happy. Thanks for your hard work.
Simonblarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #453
helgoboss

Quote:
You said that it's done that way to prevent other items on the same track from interfering with overdub recording, but I can't see how that could happen. Can you explain, please ?
Well, Playtime uses "Enable track free item positioning" in order to play several items on one track simultaneously. Imagine 2 items at the same place. Which one would REAPER overdub? I don't know, seems pretty random to me. So to avoid overdubbing the wrong item, Playtime moves the item to a place where there's no other item (currently the project end).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholehalf View Post
Hi and thanks for the awesome plugin, bought it and love it...
I am trying to put together a project for live performance where each scene is a part of a song (verse, chorus etc.). My problem is that tempos vary from song to song. Is it possible to change the tempo from scene to scene, for example to have scenes 1-4 at 4/4 128 bpm for the first song, and then scenes 5-9 at 4/4 60 bpm for the second song and so on?
Mmh, currently this is not possible. I added a feature proposal.

Quote:

Cheers
Rob
Looks almost like a REAPER bug to me. The MIDI source length slightly increases when doing a repeated MIDI overdub. I will work around that by doing a glue after overdub is stopped.

Quote:
My issue is a little different. For some reason after I use overdub, my clips no longer loop. They just play and stop without looping. I wouldn't call this a bug yet since I only tried overdub for 15 minutes. I'm gonna try it again with a new session tonight and I'll post my results sometime tonight/tomorrow. I'll also look into the bug you reported to see if I am having the same issue. Happy Thanksgiving out there.
REAPER's MIDI overdub disables "Loop source". Playtime should enable it again after stopping MIDI overdub. Are you sure you have stopped MIDI overdub properly by stopping transport before triggering the clip again?
Old 11-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #454
jaaypeso

Quote:

REAPER's MIDI overdub disables "Loop source". Playtime should enable it again after stopping MIDI overdub. Are you sure you have stopped MIDI overdub properly by stopping transport before triggering the clip again?
Yes, I had to go back and click on "loop source" manual. I think one of my keyboard shortcuts from a long time ago may have caused it. But everything is working fine now. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #455
MCCY

Hi, i've been off for a while with looping. Too much work to do :-(.
I just had the thought, that it would be fantastic to let playtime take advantage of the features of JS super8 looper in reaper. I had the impression, that 'perfect' timing & tempo detection is possible with it, so this combined with the features of playtime would finally be on spot.
I didn't try realtime looping with playtime for a while, so maybe some things have changed already..., but super8 just seems really neat in terms of timing & live-looping.

Martin
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #456
jaaypeso

Default Playtime clip play issue

I'm trying to use playtime for live use on my surface pro 3 touch screen and finding the play button on the clips tough to touch accurately consistently enough for live use. Even with a mouse it's a little inaccurate since the play button is to small.

Is there an option for single left mouse click anywhere within the clip (not just on the play button) to launch the clip?
Old 12-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #457
nordicguy

Default Is there a way for a non-programmer to help with new controllers?

I'm hoping for Playtime to have support for Novation Launchpad MK2.

There is a programmers reference on Novation's website: http://global.novationmusic.com/site...ce-guide_0.pdf

Helgoboss, can I do anything else to help with MK2, should you want to include MK2 to supported controllers?
nordicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 AM   #458
akademie

Default Playtime "portable mode" install?

Hello helgoboss,

is it possible to use Playtime in "portable mode"?
I would like to buy and use it within my Reaper portable installation on USB.
So then I would need to have license key file (and controller configuration files) read from the same location as main DLL. (And not to write or read from machine/user system folders like C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Playtime\contro llers ...)
If it is not possible now, could it be implemented in future builds, please?

Thank you
akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #459
MCCY

I tried playtime again after a longer time and have to say, that everything worked somehow better than the last times I tried it.
Timing was good as a live looper controlled with an istage. I somehow experienced some crashes, but have no idea when exactly they happen. I will continue experimenting.

Nice work!
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #460
experimentfailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hello helgoboss,

So then I would need to have license key file (and controller configuration files) read from the same location as main DLL. (And not to write or read from machine/user system folders like C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Playtime\contro llers ...)

Thank you
akademie
First, just wanted to say my thanks to the author for this sweet little plugin!!

Also, happened to notice your question, akademie, and I happen to have an answer! Yes, playtime will work with Reaper portable. I have my Reaper portable on a network drive, with playtime installed locally and have not yet run into any issues. This is day 1 for me in using it, though....
experimentfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 AM   #461
flipotto

Just coming back to work with playtime.

Multiple crashes - win 7, pt version 1.10, reaper 5.11, jamstix 3.61
Running 32bit reaper.

Crashes occur when attempting to record new clips.
Playtime running, clips playing, new clip is recorded, starts to playback - reaper seizes up.
It has happened twice.
Will continue to test and refine circumstances of crash.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #462
wholehalf

Quote:
Mmh, currently this is not possible. I added a feature proposal.
thanks for your reply to my question on scene specific tempo. I follow this thread on my mobile with a tiny screen and I missed it, so that's why I'm so late to reply... Anyway, what I would be ideal for me would be for Playtime to add a tempo marker on the timeline at the position of the play back's start, when the scene's play button is pressed, or the play/record button of a clip belonging to that scene is pressed. If this could be used with the new subproject features in Reaper I think we would have a definite winner for live use.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #463
TheWhistler

I am not looping guy (at least until now).
I am really considering to try this working method.
But I have a few questions.

Is it possible to configure a midi controller (e.g. Behringer FCB 1010) to controll Playtime completely without toching the mouse?

I thought of just piling up tracks while switching through with the pedals.

Thank´s for answers in advance
Old 12-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #464
themixtape

Testing out the demo. Dig it.

One major gripe:

How can I midi-map Scene up/down?

I only have 10 pedals on my FCB1010. Each of my song parts has like 5-7 scenes. Once I trigger each scene, plus the stop all pedal that I mapped... I'm almost out of pedals. I would much rather use a down/up pedal combo, as I work through a set.

Is this possible? Please say it is.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #465
themixtape

Ok, no can do from what I've seen (scene up/down).

That's ok. I bought Playtime, anyway. It's rad.

I have an APCKey25, and initially I was using the Launchpad setting in Preferences, but I changed to APC40... the colors of the buttons are exactly like they're working in Live... awesome. Amber, Green solid, green blinking, etc. I love this.

The only thing that sucks is I had to midi-learn all the clip launch and scene launch and clip/group stop stuff.

The important question I have is...

Can Playtime open with this stuff midi-mapped my custom way by default?

If so, we are GOLDEN.

I HOPE SO.

My APCKey25 is mapped as follows:

top left clip launch - G#1
top right clip launch - D#2
bottom left clip launch - C-1
bottom right clip launch - G-1

So it definitely doesn't properly map to the APC40's default.

I just want to know if I can open up Playtime with this setting by default, constantly.

edit--- I saved the Playtime setting as a Reaper Track Template. Excellent. All midi maps are correct and remembered.

Another question--- the APC and Launchpad intelligently move around, so wherever you are, the top right clip launch is always the top right clip launch (even if you're on Scene 25, and not Scene 1). Any way to get this to intelligently always be the 5x8 grid, no matter how deep down you are with Scenes? If not, no big deal... Ableton's good for that, still (DJing mainly). But yeah, just wondering if this was possible.

Thank you to Benjamin. BRILLIANT work, man.

Finally, I can fully get away from Ableton. Bloatware garbage... I've been obsessed with Reaper since 2012.... no looking back, now. Ever.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #466
themixtape

Buuuump
Old 01-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #467
wholehalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Testing out the demo. Dig it.

One major gripe:

I only have 10 pedals on my FCB1010. Each of my song parts has like 5-7 scenes. Once I trigger each scene, plus the stop all pedal that I mapped... I'm almost out of pedals. I would much rather use a down/up pedal combo, as I work through a set.

I think it's possible if you make a custom midi controller configuration file, look at chapter 4 in the user guide. Maybe a combination of "realative-down" and "relative-up" with "selectedSlot" would work. I haven't tried this, because I used Bome's midi translator for a quick and dirty fix. Just mapped the up and down arrows of the PC keyboard to buttons on the midi controller.

Last edited by wholehalf; 01-02-2016 at 12:08 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #468
helgoboss

Hi all,

I've a prerelease for you: Playtime 1.11.0-pre1

Win: https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...-installer.exe

OS X: https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...-installer.pkg

Changes:
#5 Add easy clip cropping by offering context menu entries 'Section start position' and 'Section length' on clips with timebase 'Beats (position, length, rate)'. Note that REAPER's source section feature is used in order to support real non-destructive cropping (default audio section fades are adjustable). It's even used for MIDI items although REAPER officially only supports it for audio items. It works quite nicely but there are some side effects: 1. Double clicking the item on the REAPER timeline doesn't open the MIDI editor (it does in Playtime though) 2. A cropped clip is still always displayed full-length in the MIDI editor so the MIDI editor cursor doesn't reflect the current playing position (the arrange view reflects it perfectly)
#5 Add easy clip cropping by also offering automation parameters 'Selected slot section start position / length'. You can map these to endless rotary decoders, absolute knobs or buttons for example. If the clip timebase is not 'Beats (position, length, rate)', the resolution is milliseconds instead of beats.
#5 Add easy clip/item cropping by also offering REAPER actions 'Playtime: In/decrease section start position / length of selected item' (for buttons and keyboard shortcuts, for example in combination with 'Auto-select mode')
#185 Improve usability by using source sections instead of glue to preserve audio item cut on fill whenever possible (optionally also for MIDI items)
#180 Improve user interface by disabling unsupported actions during MIDI overdub
#178 Fix wrong source length after MIDI overdub by glueing MIDI item afterwards if necessary (workaround for REAPER bug)
#184 Fix superfluous undo points written on loading

The benefits of using source sections instead of glue for cropping:
- Ability to prolong looped section again after having shortened it (non-destructive editing)
- Loop sections of video (was not possible before because glueing video results in audio only)
- Section fades can be used (although they seem to be pretty limited)

Feel free to check it out. Feedback about crashes and other bugs are very much appreciated.

Ben
Old 01-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #469
aliocha

Hello,

Is it possible to insert two differents items of the same track in a group?
For exemple insert 2 differents items of a bass track in "group 1"?
aliocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #470
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicguy View Post
Helgoboss, can I do anything else to help with MK2, should you want to include MK2 to supported controllers?
Thanks for offering your help! The best way would be to do the following:

1. Select "Generic" as "Connected controller"
2. MIDI-learn the MK2 controls as you want them (simply click the "-" on the right side of the slot, watch it going red and then press the corresponding pad on your MK2 ... do that for each slot, group and scene)
3. Right-click "Connected controller" and click "Generate controller template"
4. Copy the resulting text and send it to info@helgoboss.org.

You can also write me which color you would prefer for each of the following states:

- almostPlaying
- almostStopping
- empty
- playing
- recording
- stopped

Alternatively you can also enter them on your own and try out yourself (see "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Playtime\controller s\apc40.json" for an example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hello helgoboss,

Not supported right now but I'll see what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCY View Post
I tried playtime again after a longer time and have to say, that everything worked somehow better than the last times I tried it.
Timing was good as a live looper controlled with an istage. I somehow experienced some crashes, but have no idea when exactly they happen. I will continue experimenting.

Nice work!
Thanks. Crash reports always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipotto View Post
Just coming back to work with playtime.

Multiple crashes - win 7, pt version 1.10, reaper 5.11, jamstix 3.61
Running 32bit reaper.

Crashes occur when attempting to record new clips.
Playtime running, clips playing, new clip is recorded, starts to playback - reaper seizes up.
It has happened twice.
Will continue to test and refine circumstances of crash.
Couldn't reproduce it till now but will watch out for it. As always, circumstances for reproducing a crash are very welcome.

Quote:
thanks for your reply to my question on scene specific tempo. I follow this thread on my mobile with a tiny screen and I missed it, so that's why I'm so late to reply... Anyway, what I would be ideal for me would be for Playtime to add a tempo marker on the timeline at the position of the play back's start, when the scene's play button is pressed, or the play/record button of a clip belonging to that scene is pressed. If this could be used with the new subproject features in Reaper I think we would have a definite winner for live use.
OK, I like the tempo marker idea. I think they should be removed when pressing stop except "Write" was switched on. Any thoughts? Tell me more about what you have in mind with subprojects (in the context of scene specific tempo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Is it possible to configure a midi controller (e.g. Behringer FCB 1010) to controll Playtime completely without toching the mouse?

I thought of just piling up tracks while switching through with the pedals.

Thank´s for answers in advance
I assume by "tracks" you mean clips/songs, not REAPER tracks. One pedal for each track or 2 pedals for previous/next track?

One pedal for each track: This can be done easily by putting the clips vertically into one group (column) and assigning the MIDI controller pedals to the slots in that group. This also works with multiple clips playing together. Then you assign the pedals to scenes which will play all clips in one row.

2 pedals for previous/next track: You can assign the pedals so that they navigate the slots up/down (automation parameter "Selected cell vertical", see section "Automation" in the user guide, also read my answer to the next question). However, that doesn't automatically play them. You would need to assign "Trigger selected cell" to a third pedal. I didn't have this use case in mind until now. I could add another automation parameter or an option "Auto-play selected clips".

Quote:

My previous answer could also be of interest for you (to TheWhistler). This is possible by MIDI-mapping the automation parameter "Selected cell vertical" - which is responsible for navigation both up AND down. Perfect for knobs and rotary endless encoders. Less perfect for button-like controls such as pedals. Unfortunately, REAPER currently doesn't allow mapping 2 MIDI CCs (two pedals) to one parameter so that one increases the parameter value and the other one decreases it. You could approach this by transforming the incoming MIDI messages so they behave like rotary endless decoders and then choose one of the relative modes as "CC mode". Not user friendly. Alternatively, you could create your own controller configuration file for Playtime as wholehalf has suggested. A combination of mode "relative-up", "relative-down" and "selectedCellVertical" would indeed work (see section "Roll your own controller" and example file "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Playtime\controller s\launchpad.json" for clues). It's made exactly for that. It's more reusable than the other method but it's also very technical

I'm considering adding dedicated automation parameters that are just for up/down navigation - even they were somewhat redundant if REAPER would support advanced parameter mapping. But otherwise, that kind of mappings is difficult to achieve at the moment. I will add a ticket for that later.

Quote:
edit--- I saved the Playtime setting as a Reaper Track Template. Excellent. All midi maps are correct and remembered.

Another question--- the APC and Launchpad intelligently move around, so wherever you are, the top right clip launch is always the top right clip launch (even if you're on Scene 25, and not Scene 1). Any way to get this to intelligently always be the 5x8 grid, no matter how deep down you are with Scenes? If not, no big deal... Ableton's good for that, still (DJing mainly). But yeah, just wondering if this was possible.
Glad you figured it out. An even better way than the track template would be that I include support for APCKey25 controller natively. If you don't mind, you could help me to do this in the same way that I recommended to nordicguy (my first answer in this post). The "intelligently moving around" thing is also possible if you tell me which MIDI events the "move up/down/left/right" keys on the APCKey25 send.

Quote:
I think it's possible if you make a custom midi controller configuration file, look at chapter 4 in the user guide. Maybe a combination of "realative-down" and "relative-up" with "selectedSlot" would work. I haven't tried this, because I used Bome's midi translator for a quick and dirty fix. Just mapped the up and down arrows of the PC keyboard to buttons on the midi controller.
Exactly. I hope I can make this easier in future so users don't have to deal with controller configuration files or MIDI preprocessors for such simple tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliocha View Post
Hello,

Is it possible to insert two differents items of the same track in a group?
For exemple insert 2 differents items of a bass track in "group 1"?
You can put one item into one slot. There are no restrictions whatsoever from what track that item comes and also not to which group that slot belongs.

Quote:
I'm trying to use playtime for live use on my surface pro 3 touch screen and finding the play button on the clips tough to touch accurately consistently enough for live use. Even with a mouse it's a little inaccurate since the play button is to small.

Is there an option for single left mouse click anywhere within the clip (not just on the play button) to launch the clip?
There's no option for that. In future, I would like to create a touch-optimized full-screen mode for Playtime but that's probably not coming before Playtime 2 (major new feature). So for now, I'm indeed thinking of adding such an option.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #471
wholehalf

Quote:
OK, I like the tempo marker idea. I think they should be removed when pressing stop except "Write" was switched on. Any thoughts? Tell me more about what you have in mind with subprojects (in the context of scene specific tempo).
Regarding subprojects, I imagine being able to make arrangements for each part of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc.) in separate projects and then launching them with Playtime as subrojects. With scene specific tempo, this could be done for many songs with different tempos and time sigs in the same project (or time sig changes within the same song). This would allow complex multitrack arrangements to be handled very easily, with the added benefit of being able to add loops on top of them in a a live setting.

It seems like a good idea to remove the tempo marker after stop is pressed, I can imagine a large project would get cluttered with many redundant tempo markers after several scene changes.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #472
helgoboss

Quote:
Regarding subprojects, I imagine being able to make arrangements for each part of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc.) in separate projects and then launching them with Playtime as subrojects. With scene specific tempo, this could be done for many songs with different tempos and time sigs in the same project (or time sig changes within the same song). This would allow complex multitrack arrangements to be handled very easily, with the added benefit of being able to add loops on top of them in a a live setting.
Note that you can already load subproject items into Playtime as if it would be normal audio clips (actually the subproject item is just an audio clip when played in the parent project because REAPER plays its rendered result). Any tempo changes in the subproject are contained in the render result of course. Any tempo changes in the parent project would timestrech the render result (depending on its timebase). Is that what you are after? Or are you talking about Playtime controlling the subproject while it is open in another Project Tab (which is not possible right now)?
Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #473
mccrabney

hey helgo, glad to see this continuing to develop. are we anywhere closer towards having Playtime (as option) be able to play clips/items without also playing from the Transport?
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #474
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
hey helgo, glad to see this continuing to develop. are we anywhere closer towards having Playtime (as option) be able to play clips/items without also playing from the Transport?
I'm going to quote my previous statement about this topic because I still need feedback:

Quote:
I've already made some experiments in this direction and at some day I'm planning to add an experimental mode for playing items without REAPER starting to play back the project and without items appearing on the track. But this way of playback will probably always be limited compared to the current "put items on timeline" mode. There are actually 2 ways of achieving it and each of them has drawbacks:

Way 1:
- Plays back on a track of your choice (so considers that track's FX - nice)
- Doesn't take into account: item fades, take FX, time stretch, take playrate, item cuts, take envelopes, take pitch shift. It will just play back the raw source material (MIDI or audio).

Way 2:
- Plays back on the Playtime track (as output of the VST plugin - so only considers the FX on the Playtime track - not so nice)
- Only possible for audio
- Takes into account: take playrate, take envelopes, item cuts, take pitch shift, maybe time stretch
- Doesn't take into account: item fades, take FX

Question is ... does it still have an advantage for users with that kind of drawbacks?
Please, those among you who want Playtime to work without REAPER transport running, can you give your opinion on that question? For me it's not a priority right now because for my use cases those drawbacks would be too limiting. Don't know about your use cases.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #475
mccrabney

way 2 for me. still useful despite drawbacks. this would be the most sampler-like implementation.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #476
helgoboss

I've another prerelease for you: Playtime 1.11.0-pre2

Win: https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...-installer.exe

OS X: https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/p...-installer.pkg

Changes:
#5 Added easy clip cropping by offering context menu entries 'Section start position' and 'Section length' on clips which have timebase 'Beats (position, length, rate)'. Note that REAPER's source section feature is used in order to support real non-destructive cropping (default audio section fades are adjustable). It's even used for MIDI items although REAPER officially supports it for audio items only. It works quite nicely but there are some side effects: 1. Double clicking the item on the REAPER timeline doesn't open the MIDI editor (it does in Playtime though) 2. A cropped clip is still always displayed full-length in the MIDI editor so the MIDI editor cursor doesn't reflect the current playing position 3. MIDI notes in the cropped clip might not be visible in the arrange view
#5 Improved easy clip cropping by also offering automation parameters 'Selected slot section start position / length'. You can map these to endless rotary decoders, absolute knobs or buttons for example. If the clip timebase is not 'Beats (position, length, rate)', the resolution is milliseconds instead of beats.
#5 Improved easy clip/item cropping by also offering REAPER actions 'Playtime: In/decrease section start position / length of selected item' (for buttons and keyboard shortcuts, for example in combination with 'Auto-select mode')
#5 Improved easy clip cropping by offering context menu entries 'Apply section (glue)' and 'Remove section'
#185 Improved usability by using source sections instead of glue to preserve audio item cut on fill whenever possible (optionally also for MIDI items)
#180 Improved user interface by disabling unsupported actions during MIDI overdub
#189 Improved performance by improving scheduling strategy
#187 Improved usability by making glue unnecessary if take just has different start offset
#178 Fixed wrong source length after MIDI overdub by glueing MIDI item afterwards if necessary (workaround for REAPER bug)
#184 Fixed superfluous undo points written on loading
#186 Fixed slot offset modes 'Continue', 'Absolute gate' and 'Relative gate' for playrates <> 1
#188 Fixed conversion to one shot or loop by not messing with the playrate anymore when doing it

Again, feedback about crashes and other bugs is very much appreciated.

Ben
Old 01-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #477
dasombre

thank you very much for the update helgo will test soon.
paying, happy customer here with 2 little feature requests:

1.) could you add an option to move the grid around when pressing the left/right/up/down buttons on the launchpad. For now it just moves the mapping, and when Playtime is docked and 8x8 grid is visible I don't see where I am on the plug-in itself as the grid does not move when hitting the arrow-button on the LP. I then have to resize my docker, make the playtime-toolbar visible and use the blue "move"-thing just to see where I am.
I have playtime in the docker and setup so that I can just see the 8x8 grid and the 8 scenes. Moving the visibility of the grid would be a huge usability-improvement for me and I hope for others too. Is this difficult to implement?

2.) an option to hide the midi-mappings in the 8x8 grid would be also veeeery welcome.

Again, thanks a lot for this great extension. Really love it and looking forward to new features and improvements. Big Up!
dasombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #478
flipotto

Default Crash still - more detail.

App crash data
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	reaper.exe
  Application Version:	5.1.2.0
  Application Timestamp:	56a17942
  Fault Module Name:	reaper.exe
  Fault Module Version:	5.1.2.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	56a17942
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0030d2d9
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0c47
  Additional Information 2:	0c47ecc18b31d3b3d50c3a36f49e3b09
  Additional Information 3:	957b
  Additional Information 4:	957bc4904378ee694937afc9f020ba5c
Setup -
Reaper 5.12 Playtime 1.10
2 tracks, 1 for playtime with Launchpad setup (lights working, as should be)
2nd track is just a mic input.
Record 1st clip by pressing first button 1x1 location. "counting to 4 - 1, 2, 3, 4" on beat with metronome. Auto play recorded clip selected.

record 2nd clip pressing 1x2 location, counting "5,6,7,8" press button again to play back clip - crash.
I can send, attach project if needed. (EDIT-project attached)
I believe it is something to do with auto play, but I don't know. I will restart reaper and try again without that set.

Last edited by flipotto; 06-04-2023 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #479
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasombre View Post

1.) could you add an option to move the grid around when pressing the left/right/up/down buttons on the launchpad. For now it just moves the mapping, and when Playtime is docked and 8x8 grid is visible I don't see where I am on the plug-in itself as the grid does not move when hitting the arrow-button on the LP. I then have to resize my docker, make the playtime-toolbar visible and use the blue "move"-thing just to see where I am.
I have playtime in the docker and setup so that I can just see the 8x8 grid and the 8 scenes. Moving the visibility of the grid would be a huge usability-improvement for me and I hope for others too. Is this difficult to implement?

2.) an option to hide the midi-mappings in the 8x8 grid would be also veeeery welcome.
Both planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipotto View Post
I can send, attach project if needed.
I believe it is something to do with auto play, but I don't know. I will restart reaper and try again without that set.
Thanks for the report. The project file would be very helpful (info@helgoboss.org).
Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #480
flipotto

You were too fast, I added it to previous post