Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
0xRAIN
Human being with feelings

Default Drum Sequencing

I've been trying to get into drum sequencing lately, but I'm not sure how to go about this with Reaper.

Right now I've got Fruity Loops running rewired into Reaper, and I'd like for each individual drum to have its own track (midi and audio) but I'm not sure how to do that.

I'm planning on getting ezdrummer sometime soon too, and when that happens I'm just wondering is there any sort of way to do step sequencing and have multi-tracks for each individual drum? I know there is the MIDI editor but it seems like there would be an easier way than that.

I've spent some time googling this stuff but couldn't find anything that really seemed to answer my questions.
0xRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Schmidty

I don't have much experience with Fruity loops, but I know most of the VSTi based drum samplers (ez drummer, supirior drummer etc.) are simply multi output VSTs, so you can route all of it's 10 or 20 outputs to seperate tracks using sends pretty easily.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
0xRAIN

Thanks for the reply. I did some more googling after I posted this and found a pretty straight forward guide on getting multiple tracks for something like ezdrummer.

The only real issue I have now is how to actually sequence them. Like I said, I like step sequencers over the midi editor in Reaper, but unless there is some way to implement one (via a plug in or something) I guess I'll manage ok.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
happyhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xRAIN View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did some more googling after I posted this and found a pretty straight forward guide on getting multiple tracks for something like ezdrummer.

The only real issue I have now is how to actually sequence them. Like I said, I like step sequencers over the midi editor in Reaper, but unless there is some way to implement one (via a plug in or something) I guess I'll manage ok.
I use ezdrummer and Reaper is the best fit I've found so far (coming from Cubase and then Garageband).

Add ezdrummer as a virtual instrument on a new track, Reaper automatically sorts out the channels - then you can either drag and drop straight from EZD onto the track, or program the drums in manually, or use a MIDI keyboard.

Piece of cake
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
johnnymegabyte

Quote:

check out DrumTrack freeware http://supercoldmilk.com/drumtrack/
Export as MIDI or WAV
Import MIDI loops or create your own
Copy & Paste etc etc etc
johnnymegabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
0xRAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymegabyte View Post
check out DrumTrack freeware http://supercoldmilk.com/drumtrack/
Export as MIDI or WAV
Import MIDI loops or create your own
Copy & Paste etc etc etc

YES! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
TexaCali

Quote:
YES! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks
Me too! I found PC Drummer , which basically does the same thing, but it isn't free. The only thing missing from DrumTrack is a bunch of patterns - which I'm sure I can find elsewhere if I look.

Create my patterns, export them to Midi, and then use the VSTi of my choice (or use them to sequence my VDrums) - this is great!

My Alesis SR-16 might start collecting dust.
TexaCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
johnnymegabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCali View Post
Me too! I found PC Drummer , which basically does the same thing, but it isn't free. The only thing missing from DrumTrack is a bunch of patterns - which I'm sure I can find elsewhere if I look.

Create my patterns, export them to Midi, and then use the VSTi of my choice (or use them to sequence my VDrums) - this is great!

My Alesis SR-16 might start collecting dust.
Just Google for MIDI Drum Loops / Patterns, and you're rolling
johnnymegabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Lawrence

Hmmm....

Not using FLStudio for drum sequencing in favor of freeware? You do know that you don't have to rewire FLStudio, that it will load as a VSTI and it will put (I think) 32 or 64 discreet outputs directly into your daw mixer?

Hard to top FLStudio's pattern sequencing so... dunno...
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote