COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > NINJAM Discussion > NINJAM User Discussion

Old 03-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
chumbo
Human being with feelings

Default Why so complicated to setup a server??

Why is it so nerdy to setup a server?!
I'm not a programmer, I just want to play music with some friends...Isn't there a simple why to do it?

I finally found an executable here in this forum but then it doesn't nothing, there are no further instructions...I don't get it?
If it's not rocket science, I'd love some guidance please.
I'm on Windows...

Last edited by chumbo; 03-21-2020 at 02:46 PM.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:49 AM   #2
pljones

You aren't expected to be a programmer (the person who might write a new, replacement ninjam server).

You're expected to be a system administrator (the person who installs and configures software on a system on behalf of users).

Maybe if you were able to describe the problem you're having, someone could offer help and assistance to you.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:40 AM   #3
chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Maybe if you were able to describe the problem you're having, someone could offer help and assistance to you.
I thought I did? There really isn't much more for me to say...as I said, i ran an executable (v0.071) I was able to find on this forum (because at the ninjam website, you get a link to a github and...then what??) and as I said, it didn't do anything at all and there were no instructions either so...what else do you need to know?

Last edited by chumbo; 03-22-2020 at 04:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
elgourmet

chumbo, this should help:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233143
elgourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
chumbo

Nope, I'm afraid it didn't.
I made a slight change to those instructions because I don't have a file named 'ninjamserver_0_071 example.cfg' at that folder location, just the example.cfg so I used that instead and I get this error:
'ninjamserver_0_071' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

And yes, I did put the ninjamserver_0_071.exe in that folder as it says in link you posted.

Again...why does this have to be so complicated, I don't get it. It sounds like a very musician-friendly app with a name like Ninjam and coming from Cockos but, it's not.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #6
elgourmet

can you post a screenshot of your command line?
elgourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:45 AM   #7
chumbo

Here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: png Ninjam - CMD screenshot.png (43.3 KB, 260 views)
Old 03-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #8
akademie

Hi chumbo,
your command line have to look something like this:
C:\folder\ninjamrv.exe config.cfg

What you posted on screenshots is invalid. You tried to execute a CFG file instead of the EXE file. You must execute EXE file with CFG as its parameter (see my example above).

Also, when your paths are long and/or include space characters, then you need to put quotation marks around them...
like this for example:
C:\My Documents\This is long foldername\ninjamserver\ninjamsrv.exe
becomes this:
"C:\My Documents\This is long foldername\ninjamserver\ninjamsrv.exe"

Last edited by akademie; 03-22-2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: typo
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:11 AM   #9
akademie

...and specific to you paths as I saw them in screenshot, the full command would be this:

"C:\Users\Bobb\Downloads\Ninjam\NINJAM Server (executable)\ninjam\server\ninjamserver_0_071.exe" "C:\Users\Bobb\Downloads\Ninjam\NINJAM Server (executable)\ninjam\server\example.cfg"

ATTENTION: It is one long command in one line (even here it may look like two separate lines) !!!

Try it.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #10
akademie

Oh, I see the confusion now!

There is a step in instructions from elgourmet that says:
navigate to the ninjam/server directory and run the command "ninjamserver_0_071 example.cfg"

But it does not mean run the file which name is ninjamserver_0_071 example.cfg,
but run the file which name is ninjamserver_0_071 with parameter as another file named example.cfg
It would be more precise to write ninjamserver_0_071.exe, but in windows in is not necessary to include EXE suffix.

Anyway, you can definitely write the command short as in the instructions (without all the paths) if you are already in that final folder. Then you can type only:
ninjamserver_0_071 example.cfg
or
ninjamserver_0_071.exe example.cfg
Old 03-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #11
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbo View Post
Again...why does this have to be so complicated, I don't get it. It sounds like a very musician-friendly app with a name like Ninjam and coming from Cockos but, it's not.
Generally, the SERVER part of any application is almost never musician-(or artist)-friendly, but requires some IT knowledge due to its nature (using ports all the setting in various scenarios, behind firewalls or not, many variables here).

On another hand the CLIENT parts are almost always musician-(or artist)-friendly, and that is the part which should artist use. You can use ReaNINJAM client in Reaper, or Jamtaba VST or standalone, or even command line ninjam clients to connect to any public server (or private one if you have address and credentials), play your instrument and jam along with others on this planet.

Analogy:
Are you able to search terms on internet (thanks to Google mainly) = YES
Are you able to setup and configure your own searching engine/server = NO
Old 03-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #12
chumbo

Sigh...ok, I got it running but...now what? (BTW, for future newbies like me that might be reading this, I had to run CMD as administrator to be able to change the paths...and had to google how to do that as well! LOL)
I started ReaNinJam and I can't see my server?

BTW, I like your analogy. I stand corrected
Old 03-22-2020, 07:24 AM   #13
akademie

It's hard, sorry.
Why do you want your own server?
What are you going to do with it?
Have you ever tried to use NINJAM/ReaNINJAM before?
Is using a public servers no option for you?
Is using someone other's personal private server no option?

Please answer before we can continue...

Setting a server can be easy as run and done or also nightmare if problems with router/modem IP adresses etc...

You need to know IP address of your server (+port) then in ReaNINJAM you will fill in these info in server edit line:
something like: 192.168.10.1:2050 (its local IP address inside your home network)
you need to replace the local IP with the IP that your provider is giving you to be able to connect from the outside to your server.

also Anonymous option checked if anonymous access is alowed, or you have to have users and passwords set in cfg file.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #14
chumbo

Because with coronavirus lockdown, there is no other way for me and my band to collaborate and I of course don't want to have random people joining in to play over what we're doing.

As for IP addresses, yes, I know that can quickly become confusing. Nevertheless, without spending a whole day on it, I would love to at least give it a try.
I have of course access to my router's configuration which I guess is all I'll need.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbo View Post
Because with coronavirus lockdown, there is no other way for me and my band to collaborate and I of course don't want to have random people joining in to play over what we're doing.

As for IP addresses, yes, I know that can quickly become confusing. Nevertheless, without spending a whole day on it, I would love to at least give it a try.
I have of course access to my router's configuration which I guess is all I'll need.
I have to say that NINJAM as such is not usable for any standard structured linear song, but could be utilized in ways for prscticing repeating parts...

How many members are in your band?
I can give you access to my private server, which has 4 members limit, if you want to try that.

Last edited by akademie; 03-22-2020 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
chumbo

Thanks, very kind of you!
That could be a temporary arrangement but it would be nice to be able to have our own server for the long term.

I am a bit suspicious of how well it will work with Ninjam as I understand it's not realtime but a pseudo-simulation (don't even bother trying to explain it, I've tried understanding the principle before, didn't quite get it).

Are you familiar with some of the other platforms that do claim to be real-time (with latency of course) like Jamkazam, eJamming (defunct?), Soundjack?

If you would be so kind as to at least give a try to setting me up with my server, it would be great!
If it gets too complicated, I won't push it.
Thx!