Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
RCJacH
Human being with feelings

Default ReaMote: Vst3 and Multi-Level Subfolder

ReaMote is great for linking headless desktops together for processing, and it would be greater if ReaMote would support VST3 plugins.
At the same time, it would also be nice if ReaMote would scan sub-sub-folders, especially with JSFX, so items in ReaPack Team folders would be scanned by default.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
mschnell

AFAIK, ReaMote does not support Sample Libraries. Or maybe the issue is that VST's that need complex configuration with the VST using stuff stored on a disk can't be configured remote-controlled in the way ReaMote works.

For me it's especially disappointing that with most commercial Plugins you need a license for the plugin both on the local (for configuration) and on the remote (for running) PC.

I suppose that is why support or ReaMote seems to be turned down. So I don't suppose any special VST3 enhancement will be seen.

IMHO a much better way to go would be introducing "remote Subprojects". Here the configuration of the VSTs would be done on the Remote PC, avoiding all problems mentioned. If somebody really wants to run the remote PC(s) "headless" or in another room, tools like "Remote Desktop" will help.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:19 AM   #3
RCJacH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAIK, ReaMote does not support Sample Libraries. Or maybe the issue is that VST's that need complex configuration with the VST using stuff stored on a disk can't be configured remote-controlled in the way ReaMote works.

For me it's especially disappointing that with most commercial Plugins you need a license for the plugin both on the local (for configuration) and on the remote (for running) PC.

I suppose that is why support or ReaMote seems to be turned down. So I don't suppose any special VST3 enhancement will be seen.

IMHO a much better way to go would be introducing "remote Subprojects". Here the configuration of the VSTs would be done on the Remote PC, avoiding all problems mentioned. If somebody really wants to run the remote PC(s) "headless" or in another room, tools like "Remote Desktop" will help.

-Michael
Thx, for the reply, Remote SubProject would be fantastic.
I am currently using "Remote Desktop" as a control to the PC. I tried to run projects directly in it and send output audio wirelessly to my Laptop, however the latency is a bit higher than what I would like it to be. Same for ReaStream.

If Vsts are too much of a work to deal with, I would hope at least an update with JSFX sub-sub-folder support, since that would require no complex configuration nor multiple licenses.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
Remote SubProject would be fantastic.
... And IMHO very compatible with the "ways of Reaper". i.e. just being able to configure a subproject to be either of
- "off-line" (pre-rendered to an audio file that is used when playing back / rendering the main project, latency reduced if some plugin in the subproject requires increased latency)
- "on-line" (simply played back when playing back / rendering the main project, latency just normal)
- "remote" (like "on-line", but subproject hosted on another PC connected via TCP/IP, latency of the main project increased according to plugins used in the subproject(s) and TCP/IP delay.

IMHO based on the protocol that already exists for ReaMote this should be rather easily implemented.

BTW, as with WLAN the connection always is a bit shaky (introducing a lot of IP packet re-sends), and the usable TCP/IP latency needs to be calculated in a way that the packets are very likely to arrive in time, huge latency via WLAN is perfectly normal. In fact it's known that audio/video streaming (no re-sends possible) is very bad using WLAN. So I would strictly recommend to use an Ethernet cable for remote audio.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-24-2016 at 03:57 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Masonic

Reamote is what got me into Reaper. It saved a project here that is somewhat changed my life. I'd love to see it grow.
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote