Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default 'MOJO' by Airwindows - .so are you using it?

I have been playing around with a FX plugin by Airwindows. MOJO is somewhat of a 'loudenator' or smasher. It basically raises the decibels while increasing/ widening the midrange and midrange bass while plateauing (like a soft edge limiter) the high frequencies... I have just used it with Tonelib and found some nice combinations. Maybe because it is a simple code (one line I think) written by Chris/Patreon. He says it kind of implodes the top of a square wave. Sounds nice on some drums, guitars etc. Any way - I would like to know how people are using it and on what instruments? thanks in advance.

Here is the Free .so download site: https://www.airwindows.com/mojo/
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
vsgrt

I use it once in a while when i want something to scream a bit without sounding like it does. Mystical plugin, but i enjoy it when i do use it.

It is one of the plugins of his that i'm planning to explore more.

But my problem, which i think many agree with, is that he has so many saturation plugins.. so every time i consider using Mojo, i'm thinking maybe i should Dyno... which is Mojo, but less loud, but just as intense? Or something. But then i think maybe i should just use Spiral2, or maybe Crystal, or Density...

This is to the detriment of my decision making, so i end up using his saturation/distortion plugins less than i should. That said, he has probably the best sounding saturators out there.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
I use it once in a while when i want something to scream a bit without sounding like it does. Mystical plugin, but i enjoy it when i do use it.

It is one of the plugins of his that i'm planning to explore more.

But my problem, which i think many agree with, is that he has so many saturation plugins.. so every time i consider using Mojo, i'm thinking maybe i should Dyno... which is Mojo, but less loud, but just as intense? Or something. But then i think maybe i should just use Spiral2, or maybe Crystal, or Density...

This is to the detriment of my decision making, so i end up using his saturation/distortion plugins less than i should. That said, he has probably the best sounding saturators out there.
Yes it is a 'mysterious' plug in. It is small, but how it interacts with any other plugin is surprising. By its self its once in a blue moon use. But if it is couple with just one other... I am constantly trying to figure out if it sounds better? Which is a good thing. As I watched Chris' videos I saw how he was REALLY HINTING at this will probably be the future somehow, small tight, non-imvasive code and specific plugs that you will stack yourself - and will really work good. So many plugins algorithms step all over each other. It looks like this is going to be one of the focuses moving forward. I like the theory and the results.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I am constantly trying to figure out if it sounds better? Which is a good thing.
The subtlety of many of his plugs is keeps me from using more of them. I need to hear what it's doing at extreme settings and dial it back from there.

Critical listening is a good thing, but if you actually can't tell if something is helping anything, then it's not; it's just eating your time. I do like how some of them can only be heard when putting them across all tracks and changing settings all at once tho.

ToTape5 and Channel7 are on every single track of mine for a while now, but yea, he's just got so many similar plugs and I like these ones so much, I don't dig any further wondering if there's more magic to be found.

I think his stuff is really suited to a modular environment though, where you can easily build complex systems from simple elements, and it sounds like he's working toward that.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
JamesPeters

Mojo is one of his plugins I really like. It reminds me of transformer saturation if I use it sparingly. That plus Interstage (for a different aspect), they're a couple of my favorites.

I also like the fact his plugins have no GUI; comparing plugins "blind" as much as possible is the way to go. Plus it means releasing his plugins on various platforms isn't a big deal. Switching to Linux about a year ago, knowing that I could have Airwindows plugins in Reaper for Linux was reassuring.

The subtlety of some Airwindows plugins is fine by me. If I don't notice much difference (or a difference at all) for my projects, I don't use the plugin. I consider it a "reality check", whether other people can hear a difference or not. I've whittled my collection of them down to around 12 (and a few of those are utility type, like different monitoring settings). Also if a plugin is prone to being wacky/unpredictable in some way, I can't keep it around. Some of his plugins qualify for that.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote