Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #41
Mordi
Human being with feelings

+1

It’s a bummer when your dark theme gets disrupted by the bright light of the media explorer, in Windows dark mode.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 AM   #42
cairnan

+1 - FX window and other such windows being consistent with the rest of the theme would be nice. especially for those of us who wish to use a 'complete' dark mode!
cairnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #43
djangotsp

+1
I was using Windows' High Contrast mode to remedy this but found out it causes some plugin UIs to lag. Now I have seen the light... Too much light!
djangotsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:57 AM   #44
strachupl

Bump thread.
Been a long time since this topic was very popular in many threads here. Still now new users are confused by how some things looks in Reaper.

When Razor Edits will be finished maybe some polishing can finally happen like repairing those graphics oddity. I hope. I am sure when developers will ask for pointing out most needed changes and most problematic things, there going to be much feedback. Just nobody want to waste time if knows that noyhing going to happen.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #45
juliansader

I am using WindowBlinds, and REAPER looks almost elegant with all the colors properly consistent.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #46
strachupl

The problem is that Reaper is not for dark themes. If you set dark backgrounds then you will use light fonts but then you will face light boxes.

Look, I love looking at Timebase box figuring out what is now set when dark theme also I love how STRONG text boxes are accented, saying HERE INSIDE THIS WHITE BORDER THERE IS ONE OF THE TEXT BOXES WHERE YOU CAN TYPE FOR EXAMPLE VALUE OF THIS ITEM CURVE!:

But I forgot that Reaper is workarround DAW so I can always using nice dark theme and switchiing to light themes for a moment when I want to read Item timebase
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #47
Phazma

Just found this FR. Big +1 from me!
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #48
Kr3eM

I was looking for a feature request for removing ALL OS depended elements and make them "skinable".I guess this will do for now...spent over 40 min searching...

It's really a shame that every theme more or less turns out looking like it's broken, The Reaper v1 theme is probably the only theme that looks consistent.

Even the real professional looking themes end up looking like a Mona Lisa with googly eyes.

so that would be + 1 times infinity from me.
Kr3eM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #49
vitalker

Nice one
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #50
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3eM View Post
removing ALL OS depended elements and make them "skinable".
This would be a huge improvement! Or even just make the windows follow the same background color as stuff like media explorer, action list etc..
Old 03-07-2021, 05:20 AM   #51
juliansader

Quote:
I was looking for a feature request for removing ALL OS depended elements and make them "skinable".I guess this will do for now...spent over 40 min searching...
In WindowsOS these OS-dependent elements are skinnable -- just use WindowBlinds. WindowBlinds can access all those parts that REAPER's own themes can't touch, such as the menu bar and the MIDI editor combo boxes. And it can change not only colors, but even shapes and mouse-over effects. With WindowBlinds' help, REAPER can look quite elegant.

Quote:
Even the real professional looking themes end up looking like a Mona Lisa with googly eyes.
I also suggest that anyone making REAPER themes should consider making an accompanying WindowBlinds skin too. Their efforts will be so much more satisfying if they can finally get *everything* in REAPER's interface to fit the theme!
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #52
Phazma

Any MacOS alternative for WindowBlinds?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:22 PM   #53
Kr3eM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
In WindowsOS these OS-dependent elements are skinnable -- just use WindowBlinds. WindowBlinds can access all those parts that REAPER's own themes can't touch, such as the menu bar and the MIDI editor combo boxes. And it can change not only colors, but even shapes and mouse-over effects. With WindowBlinds' help, REAPER can look quite elegant.

I also suggest that anyone making REAPER themes should consider making an accompanying WindowBlinds skin too. Their efforts will be so much more satisfying if they can finally get *everything* in REAPER's interface to fit the theme!

I'm well familiar with Window Blinds, however, personally I don't consider that an acceptable solution.

It's a C/R DRM, and besides also being subject to Microsoft poor development of windows 10 as a whole in regards with GUI (and UI) Windows Blinds will create another dependency on top of that.

Overall I consider it being a poor solution, it basically just draw an overlay on windows (at least last time I checked) and I don't feel comfortable suggesting it less advocate it to become a standard solution, perhaps if it change it's DRM to be a license key file like Reaper. But even then, it will still be a resource hog in one way or another. Even though I actually own it, I don't use it on my work station.

I understand you pint of view, but it is no go for me for more reasons than I want to spend time on arguing. It's not that I have not thought about it, however, I rather actually hack windows framework for real... but yeah, that is also not a user friendly solution.

If Reaper would become self contained regarding the GUI framework, alot of complaints, and I mean alot of complaints could then actually be adressed and solved, because the truth is that as long as the solution is a third party application that users have to pay for and in a in this case is currently only available for windows 10 users the complaints will not decrease much.

Sure it would probably be alot of work to develop a good as future proof solution as possible but it is also something that I can se be very well rewarded.

There are a lot of good designers out there and I actually don't know which other DAWs actually are skinnable these days. I don't count DAWs like Live (last I checked v9) to be skinnable. Any DAW where you can only change colors is out of the question and my biggest fear is that Reaper one day would go full vector based as well.

Also, let us not forget that for users who aren't very skilled when it comes to function and form, there is still a pleasure to make it your own, even if the design is poorly.

Just look at the video game industry, the amount of time and cash spent on just customize your ingame character and/or equiptment is beyond stupid. But then again, perhaps it shouldn't come as an suprise when everything becomes less an less user friendly with less and less customizeable preferences and settings.

I remember a time when I could teach a complete noob how to change the system font and even the size in windows. No it's true, you didn't need to to hack the registry or download a 3rd party application.

There was a time when flexibility and user functionality was something companies actually invested in. Now, you should just conform to one way fits all (because all hail profit margins, why hire skilled UI and GUI designers when Kevin and Karen in the accounting department can draw something up in PowerPoint?)

See, now I'm going off on a rant, this is why I try to stay away from topics like this... I will eventually rant myself to sleep about how poorly windows 10 is regarding GUI and UI...(because it is)

But once again, I understand your post was a friendly suggestion an please don't get me wrong. I appreciate it and this post is done with goodwill even if it may perhaps come across otherwise due to language barriers, personal perceptions and what not. However, I firmly believe this is an issue worth dealing with, specially in the long run.

(also, sorry if the spelling is poor and the rants are incoherent, I'm very tired and both dyselxia and ADD is in full effect... but what would internet be without some lite shitposting)
Kr3eM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #54
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

+1

How is this still a thing. I just updated to Windows 11. I'm in dark mode. I open any dialogue box in Reaper and am instantly punched in the eyes with the blinding light of a million suns.

I don't get it - a ton of UI elements are apparently OS dependent so they can't be themed or skinned properly, but ALSO they don't respect the dark mode settings OF THE DAMN OS?

Way to not have your cake and not eat it too...
Old 09-26-2022, 11:32 AM   #55
foxAsteria

Default Linux FTW!

If you're on Linux, it can be done:

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=254137
Old 07-29-2023, 05:29 AM   #56
splitting_ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We don't need user tools to fix this. Just a consistent color across all dialogs. It's getting ridiculous...

With a new theme being actively developed, wouldn't now be a good time to address these inconsistencies?