Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
bmoniz77
Human being with feelings

Default Midi - Playing Multiple Notes Simultaneously

Hi there!

My name is Bernardo, I'm writing from Portugal, and I'm an absolute newby using Reaper (or any other DAW, actually). So, I apologize if the question is very basic, but I've been struggling to get a way out of it...

I'm a piano player, and when trying to record something in midi using my controller, I've noticed that, when I'm playing a chord, if I adjust all the notes to the same grid, only one of them is playing... ie, it seems like to midi player doesn't support polyphony... this is very ackward, as I've seen multiple videos on youtube (some of them posted by some contributors here in the forum), and this doesn't happen...
Is there some kind of preference to be chosen on the midi editor in order to enable multiple notes to be playing simultaneously? In order to do that, I've applied the 1/128 grid and adjusted all the notes individually to a different location, separated by 1 milisecond.

Of course, this situation also causes the impossibility of quantizing anything.

Another (side) topic is related with the sustain pedal. When applying it to my controller, it does the opposite effect... instead of holding the note when pressed down, it releases it. The note happens to be in permanent sustain, unless the pedal is pushed, instead of a regular instrument... maybe some midi adjustment to be done as well.

Well, sorry for the long post and thank you for any tip you could provide, that would be extremely helpful.

Cheers,
BM
bmoniz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
b2001

What is the vsti that you are using? Have you tried another vsti?

I don’t have this issue (I do have the issue of not being a very good piano player but that’s another discussion) and I don’t have anything special setup with midi that I’m aware of.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
jrk

There may be an option on your controller to set the "sense" of the sustain pedal.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
bmoniz77

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
What is the vsti that you are using? Have you tried another vsti?

I don’t have this issue (I do have the issue of not being a very good piano player but that’s another discussion) and I don’t have anything special setup with midi that I’m aware of.
Hi! Thanks for the thread. I've tried several: Kontact (NI), Amazing Piano, LABS, etc. I've also tried to do the same by programming a drum session (MT Power Drum Kit), and the result is the same (for example, hi hat and kick don't play at the same time)... This is ackward.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
bmoniz77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
There may be an option on your controller to set the "sense" of the sustain pedal.
Thanks! I will try to check that out!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
jrk

If you post a short midi file that doesn't work as expected - I'm sure someone will have a look and figure out if there's a problem there.