Old 01-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
kupo15
Human being with feelings

Default Properly sending signal to reverb bus

Currently I have a reverb track that is 100% wet so I can send some of the signal to. Am I supposed to send 100% dry to the master as well or should the dry signal be the remainder of the wet signal? I feel to achieve proper depth via reverb I shouldn't be sending 100 dry to the master. How do I split the signal so the wet dry send is linked in this way?

https://imgur.com/a/3pslG1F
kupo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #2
martmix

welcome to the forum !!

i dont fully understand your question but

i also use a [reverb-buss]with reverb FX set to 100\100 wet.

i then add a send to the reverb-buss...

from there i can adjust the reberb-buss volume to taste..
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
kupo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
welcome to the forum !!

i dont fully understand your question but

i also use a [reverb-buss]with reverb FX set to 100\100 wet.

i then add a send to the reverb-buss...

from there i can adjust the reberb-buss volume to taste..
Thank you for the welcome! That's what I did too I'm pretty sure, I posted the screenshot of how I'm doing it, is that how I'm supposed to send different amounts to the bus? That channel is also sending to the master as well so 100% of the dry sound is being heard blended with the send amount to the reverb.

Though I was thinking and I may be wrong, that if you want to simulate something in the distance, it should have a higher reverb to dry ratio to have less front to the note, but if I'm sending 100% dry signal to the master, wouldn't that not achieve that effect? If I'm sending 40% wet, shouldn't it be sending 60% dry?
Old 01-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
martmix

[QUOTE= If I'm sending 40% wet, shouldn't it be sending 60% dry?[/QUOTE]

do you mean 40% wet on the plugin itself?
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
do you mean 40% wet on the plugin itself?
Think of it this way. You have a track with the performance on it, lets say a Vocal. That goes up through any parents to the master track. Then you have another track we'll call Reverb. that track has the reverb plug in on it set to 100% wet. Anything sent to it is going to get pure reverb while your "dry" track is going up through the parents to master.

The amount of reverb you want is adjusted by the SEND. In your case you are sending 40% to it. You can even automate the send and send varying amounts to emphasize parts of a song. All good ?

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
kupo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Think of it this way. You have a track with the performance on it, lets say a Vocal. That goes up through any parents to the master track. Then you have another track we'll call Reverb. that track has the reverb plug in on it set to 100% wet. Anything sent to it is going to get pure reverb while your "dry" track is going up through the parents to master.

The amount of reverb you want is adjusted by the SEND. In your case you are sending 40% to it. You can even automate the send and send varying amounts to emphasize parts of a song. All good ?
Yeah that all makes sense, but you still are sending 100% dry to the master, instead of a ratio between the dry and wet which is what I'm trying to figure out how to do. Like what this person is talking about and doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG0d...rials&t=08m17s

How do I set up a send like this? I assume I have to move the master fader send above the reverb send to do this but it would be easier to link the sends the way this person did it in FL
Old 01-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Coachz

Forget that video. Do you understand my previous post ? Try it. People have done it this way since before the 60's and it works great.

Coachz Repo
Old 01-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
kupo15

Got it, yeah pretty sure what you posted above is already what I'm doing. I have no other things other than the reverb for the dry channel to go to so its simply also going to the master send. FWIW, I'm doing orchestral work

https://i.gyazo.com/ab773453ed00582a...00741ec940.png
Old 01-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupo15 View Post
Got it, yeah pretty sure what you posted above is already what I'm doing. I have no other things other than the reverb for the dry channel to go to so its simply also going to the master send. FWIW, I'm doing orchestral work

https://i.gyazo.com/ab773453ed00582a...00741ec940.png
That should be fine. Are you having any problems with this setup ? As you can see from my post, it's easy to have an FX bus with many kinds of fx and send to any of them from any track.

Coachz Repo
Old 01-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
kupo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
That should be fine. Are you having any problems with this setup ? As you can see from my post, it's easy to have an FX bus with many kinds of fx and send to any of them from any track.
No problems with the setup. I was just worried that I wasn't using the reverb to correctly place the instruments in depth because 100% of the dry signal is still being used and if I was wrong I would have to remix everything again.

I don't have the knowledge to know how to correctly place instruments in the z space yet or how that sounds exactly but things are sounding good so far so I'll continue with it for now. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #11
Coachz

you can always set the send to be pre fader so that way you can pull back as much of the original fader as you want and have zero dry if that's what you desire

Coachz Repo
Old 01-18-2021, 08:02 PM   #12
numberthirty

Kupo15 -

If I assume that this thread us discussing something along the lines of what you are looking for, have I made a correct assumption?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50893
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
ashcat_lt

One of these days we’ll be able to do real-time room simulation with ray tracing reverb techniques which will allow you to place the source at any position in a virtual room. Cakewalk Pro Audio had something that did it (but I don’t think real-time) back before Sonar was a thing. There are some other things out there that do it, but they’re expensive and/or standalone applications and/or not actually continuously variable. The ones I’ve seen (but not finding rtfn in quick google searches) were in fact pretty specifically designed for orchestral work.

In the meantime, I think many of the better orchestral libraries are sampled in such a way that distance and wet/dry ratio are just built in, though of course that depends on the room it was recorded in.

One could grab the Voxengo room generator plugin and create IRs for multiple positions in a given room and then just run the sources through the appropriate IR. I did some messing around with that, but found it to be more trouble than it was worth for most things that I do.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #14
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
One of these days we’ll be able to do real-time room simulation with ray tracing reverb techniques which will allow you to place the source at any position in a virtual room.
That day has come. (I haven't tried it out) I bet it's a bit of a cpu hog.
https://evertims.github.io/

And you have to build it from source

Last edited by jrk; 01-20-2021 at 07:43 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #15
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
That day has come. (I haven't tried it out) I bet it's a bit of a cpu hog.
https://evertims.github.io/

And you have to build it from source
What specifically does that thing do? I bet I finally get to enter

Coachz Repo
Old 01-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #16
ashcat_lt

It’s actually a “plugin” for game developers and I think it has a stand-alone version, but I don’t see anything about a VST that we can actually use.

I downloaded the demo for this https://www.parallax-audio.com/ yesterday, but went off on something else and haven’t tried it yet. I honestly think it’s just a set of static IRs which is something I mentioned above. Perhaps more convenient, probably more efficient, and definitely a prettier interface than just using multiple instances of ReaVerb.

I have had a fantasy through the years of really doing this like with a bunch of individual speakers in a real room and physically move them around as part of the mixing process. I don’t think it would be much fun in practice.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #17
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
It’s actually a “plugin” for game developers and I think it has a stand-alone version, but I don’t see anything about a VST that we can actually use.
It's mainly a sort-of plugin for blenders game stuff? But I dunno how the audio in out works, but I'm sure it's hackable. Not by me. Obv.

I always wanted to mix a band by putting them on dollies around an omni mic - hauling on ropes to tweak the balance. Or big levers like a railway signal box.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #18
jbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupo15 View Post
No problems with the setup. I was just worried that I wasn't using the reverb to correctly place the instruments in depth because 100% of the dry signal is still being used and if I was wrong I would have to remix everything again.

I don't have the knowledge to know how to correctly place instruments in the z space yet or how that sounds exactly but things are sounding good so far so I'll continue with it for now. Thanks!

kupo15 - I understand what you're saying. If you have your dry signal (100% dry) and you set your send all the way up - you'll have 100% dry mixed with 100% wet (on the reverb buss). Thats a lot of reverb - it's the same as 50/50 dry/reverb - but if you want even more, you'll have to make it so the reverb buss goes a lot louder than track can.
This way your "dry" track only goes up to a certain level but if the reverb buss goes 4 times louder - then you can get something like 20/80 dry/reverb.

Does that make sense?
The "100% dry" is just relative to the level of the reverb buss (and your send level to that buss)

So if the reverb buss is A LOT louder than the "100% dry" level - you can place things waaaay back

It's a little hard to explain in writing
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote