Old 01-17-2021, 03:49 AM   #881
SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings

one thing i noticed,it doesent work when using your laptops trackpad instead of a sub mouse???
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:28 AM   #882
David Carlyon

Am I imagining things, or did I see somewhere that Lokasanna is no longer using reaper/developing scripts?
Would be a huge shame to see this thing go!
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:33 AM   #883
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Am I imagining things, or did I see somewhere that Lokasanna is no longer using reaper/developing scripts?
Would be a huge shame to see this thing go!
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2259902
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:37 PM   #884
dukati

I am using the radial menu to help me with some beat mapping things. I tab through transients, and then use the radial menu to use the SWS move closest gridline to edit cursor function. Right now, when I use the radial menu to trigger the "SWS Move closest gridline" function, the track / item loses "focus" I guess and I have to use my mouse to select it again before tabbing to the next transient.

Anyone know if I am able to keep the item/audio selected so I can just tab right away?

Thanks,

Steve
dukati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:13 AM   #885
stephenbreitling

Default error message

i just installed "radial menu" in reaper 6.68, Linux x86_64 version under avl mxe linux. but when i run the radial menu script i only get an error message:

Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua:5239: attempt to call a nil value (field 'BR_GetMouseCursorContext')

in the script editor inside reaper this line also gets highlighted in red.
the settings script opens normally.

any idea what the error is?

greetings, stephen
stephenbreitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #886
cfillion

That error means you don't have the SWS extension installed. https://sws-extension.org/
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 03:55 AM   #887
luiza177

I've only recently started using this awesome menu. I've also recently switched to a 4k monitor, which brings me to the potentially dumb question: Is there a way to scale the interface? It's quite small as is. Making the text bigger does help, but it gets quite cramped still.
luiza177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:34 AM   #888
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Theoretically yes, practically no, as Lokasenna stopped doing any Reaper-related stuff.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:59 AM   #889
tompad

Does anyone know if its possible to connect Radial Menu with
a jog-wheel to select the different actions in Radial Menu?
Old 12-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #890
Meo-Ada Mespotine

No. Reaper only allows mouse and mousewheels as input device for gui-scripts like this one.
With some hacking, Midi-input could be implemented as well.
But nothing else, unless somebody builds an extension for jogwheels, that provides the necessary functions.

Old 12-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #891
tompad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
No. Reaper only allows mouse and mousewheels as input device for gui-scripts like this one.
With some hacking, Midi-input could be implemented as well.
But nothing else, unless somebody builds an extension for jogwheels, that provides the necessary functions.
Not even with assistance of ReaLearn?
Old 12-16-2022, 10:41 AM   #892
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Scripts can only use, what Reaper provides plus what extensions provide as functions.

ReaLearn, to my knowledge, doesn't provide functions for this, so it's not possible.
But you can ask the ReaLearn-devs for including such features, so it could be implemented.

(If someone is willing to do the job, as Lokasenna won't be able to do it...)

Edit:

Unless ReaLearn can map stuff to mouse-movements...

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 12-16-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:49 AM   #893
tompad

Quote:
Scripts can only use, what Reaper provides plus what extensions provide as functions.

ReaLearn, to my knowledge, doesn't provide functions for this, so it's not possible.
But you can ask the ReaLearn-devs for including such features, so it could be implemented.

(If someone is willing to do the job, as Lokasenna won't be able to do it...)
I check with Helgoboss later, right now he is on to PlayTime.

...it's really sad that Lokasenna isn't at Reaper forum more, I got a LOT of help
from him... I miss his help and humour...;-(
Old 12-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #894
tompad

Quote:

Edit:

Unless ReaLearn can map stuff to mouse-movements...
...interesting...if I remember right there is some new functions
on mouse in ReaLearn. Haven't had time to check it out yet.
Helgoboss is pouring out new functions in ReaLearn, it's
impossible to keep track on them :-)
Old 12-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #895
ferropop

This is such a dope fully-executed feature you've added to Reaper. Thank you!

Would you consider the ability to add images in the menus?

ie:

Where (in this case) these are Plugin Shortcuts. The sky is the limit with this sort of fast visually-based execution of actions.

This would be SO slick, and so adaptable to different workflows!

Last edited by ferropop; 12-26-2022 at 08:05 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:38 PM   #896
tonalstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Would you consider the ability toadd images in the menus?
Don't think it will happen m8, look at his signature. Also his last time here in the forum was 2 years ago.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:41 PM   #897
fero@reaper

hey does anyone else notice flickering when you hold down the shortcut for radial menu?

it seems to not be able to detect the key being pressed?
fero@reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:59 PM   #898
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fero@reaper View Post
hey does anyone else notice flickering when you hold down the shortcut for radial menu?

Just started for me today.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:33 AM   #899
Hipox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fero@reaper View Post

I got it working again with an easy modification - author of the script provided two solutions for detecting pressed key and now only the second one works, which is in the script commented out.
You can modify it yourself - in the script look approx. at line 6243 for a passage under text "Running logic". Under that is commented out code you want to uncomment, it is described as "pretty glitchy". Despite that, I haven´t noticed a glitches yet. Comment out the first block, uncomment the second and you are good to go.

Here is a working version with just this little modification.
Attached Files
File Type: lua Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua (219.0 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Hipox; 02-10-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Hipox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:44 AM   #900
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipox View Post
I got it working again with an easy modification - author of the script provided two solutions for detecting pressed key and now only the second one works, which is in the script commented out.
You can modify it yourself - in the script look approx. at line 6243 for a passage under text "Running logic". Under that is commented out code you want to uncomment, it is described as "pretty glitchy". Despite that, I haven´t noticed a glitches yet. Comment out the first block, uncomment the second and you are good to go.

Here is a working version with just this little modification.
Thanks for your help!
Old 02-10-2023, 08:45 AM   #901
ferropop

With love, but this is why people beg for native implementations of things despite the incredible efforts of unbelievably talented scripters. Still pretty cool that someone fixed it within a day, thank you.

Last edited by ferropop; 02-10-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:23 PM   #902
Hipox

Quote:
With love, but this is why people beg for native implementations of things despite the incredible efforts of unbelievably talented scripters. Still pretty cool that someone fixed it within a day, thank you.
You are welcome!
Actually, that was a luck I was on it just in time I have not used radial menu in a while, always wanting but somehow it did not fit into my workflow. So I tried to open it day before your message and that's why it was so quick.
Still don't know what is the problem, I suspect one of the functions, specifically 'GUI.char' that is not ? working as it was before ? . Probably.

I would love to implement a feature that lets us offset radial menu with regards to screen estate, for example as it is implemented in amazing "Script: Archie_Var; Popup menu(n).lua". But still I am not familiar with GUI applications in Reaper, so it would probably take some time and I don't promise anything

Last edited by Hipox; 02-10-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:41 PM   #903
Hipox

Quote:
As you say, native implementation would be the best, but some would say there are plenty ways to open a menu and do trigger some action. For example right click menu - it's context sensitive and (not sure about it) all of them are customizable by user.

I am sure developers do as much as they can, and if we would like more support for our favorite scripts, I think we would get it by some of the experienced Reaper coder masters - they would probably make it their priority and fix whatever is needed if the reward is worth their time (I am sure user Breeder is offering this kind of service on his website).

But form my perspective - yes, I agree 100% - this is very frustrating about Reaper and I would NOT recommend anybody who doesn't want to get into scripting to use Reaper on a professional level.
Sure, there are thousands of great scripts, custom actions, cycle actions and stuff, but to achieve high efficiency and have great workflow, you have to use more complicated tools that might not work well together, adjust actions to your needs, and of course use scripts which occasionaly, with updates, breaks.
There are many insanely well featured DAWs that will do for like 99% of people (for example Studio One, Bitwig or Ableton, Cubase,...), and I am aware that Reaper without much modification is useful to many musicians for recording and basic editing, but for professionals, I would recommend dig into scripting, learn it and be ok with spending time programming from time to time, or just ditch Reaper and adjust their workflow to another DAW.
BTW. I just tested OpenAI for building scripts for Reaper and it's amazing what it can do! This can be a gamechanger for simple scripting, but there's still need to understand what is hapenning in the script for debugging.

Last edited by Hipox; 02-10-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:48 AM   #904
teniente powell

Thanks Hipox.
teniente powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 03:43 PM   #905
solger

Quote:
I would love to implement a feature that lets us offset radial menu with regards to screen estate, for example as it is implemented in amazing "Script: Archie_Var; Popup menu(n).lua". But still I am not familiar with GUI applications in Reaper, so it would probably take some time and I don't promise anything
Can you describe in more detail what you mean exactly with 'offset radial menu with regards to screen estate'?

I had a look at the ' Archie_Var; Popup menu(n).lua' script thread (I didn't know this script before), but I'm not sure to what you are referring to

Last edited by solger; 02-11-2023 at 03:49 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:02 PM   #906
Hipox

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Can you describe in more detail what you mean exactly with 'offset radial menu with regards to screen estate'?

I had a look at the ' Archie_Var; Popup menu(n).lua' script thread (I didn't know this script before), but I'm not sure to what you are referring to
I'm sorry if I confused you.
What I was trying to point out is that radial menu has now two possible ways to display on screen - use last position of the window and project it right under the mouse.
That might be enough, but what I would like to see is: when I trigger the script near an edge of screen, it does not "overflow" over the edge. Also, when you trigger some action with context sensitive option on and want to see what is happening under the mouse cursor, but also use it for control of the script's UI, it is not possible without selecting option to show UI at the last position. It would be nice to have a way to offset the menu by, let's say 50px to the right of mouse cursor and 50px down. Even better if that could change with context of mouse cursor. And of course, there is a need to limit the position of the script window to visible screen area (respect screen edges).
Old 02-12-2023, 03:12 AM   #907
solger

Quote:
I'm sorry if I confused you.
What I was trying to point out is that radial menu has now two possible ways to display on screen - use last position of the window and project it right under the mouse.
That might be enough, but what I would like to see is: when I trigger the script near an edge of screen, it does not "overflow" over the edge. Also, when you trigger some action with context sensitive option on and want to see what is happening under the mouse cursor, but also use it for control of the script's UI, it is not possible without selecting option to show UI at the last position. It would be nice to have a way to offset the menu by, let's say 50px to the right of mouse cursor and 50px down. Even better if that could change with context of mouse cursor. And of course, there is a need to limit the position of the script window to visible screen area (respect screen edges).
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I had a quick look at the code and the call for the "mouse" anchor happens in line 966. So any additional logic for checking and adjusting the GUI window position on startup would go in there:
Code:
GUI.get_window_pos = function (x, y, w, h, anchor, corner)

local ax, ay, aw, ah = 0, 0, 0 ,0

local __, __, scr_w, scr_h = reaper.my_getViewport(x, y, x + w, y + h, x, y, x + w, y + h, 1)

if anchor == "screen" then
    aw, ah = scr_w, scr_h
  elseif anchor =="mouse" then
    ax, ay = reaper.GetMousePosition()
  end

A simple example for checking the horizontal and vertical screen edges could look something like this:
Code:

local horizontalEdgeThreshold, verticalEdgeThreshold = GUI.w * 0.5, GUI.h * 0.5

if ax < horizontalEdgeThreshold then
        ax = ax + horizontalEdgeThreshold
    elseif ax > scr_w - horizontalEdgeThreshold then
        ax = ax - horizontalEdgeThreshold
    end

if ay < verticalEdgeThreshold then
        ay = ay + verticalEdgeThreshold
    elseif ay > scr_h - verticalEdgeThreshold then
        ay = ay - verticalEdgeThreshold
    end
end

I don't know what's possible in terms of checking the context under the mouse position via the scripting API. So adjusting the GUI window position automatically depending on the context might be a bit trickier (if possible).
An alternative solution could be to trigger a function via key or mouse input hook in the GUI window to manually offset the GUI window position when needed.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:30 AM   #908
Hipox

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I had a quick look at the code and the call for the "mouse" anchor happens in line 966. So any additional logic for checking and adjusting the GUI window position on startup would go in there:
Code:
GUI.get_window_pos = function (x, y, w, h, anchor, corner)

local ax, ay, aw, ah = 0, 0, 0 ,0

local __, __, scr_w, scr_h = reaper.my_getViewport(x, y, x + w, y + h, x, y, x + w, y + h, 1)

if anchor == "screen" then
    aw, ah = scr_w, scr_h
  end

A simple example for checking the horizontal and vertical screen edges could look something like this:
Code:

local horizontalEdgeThreshold, verticalEdgeThreshold = GUI.w * 0.5, GUI.h * 0.5

if ax < horizontalEdgeThreshold then
        ax = ax + horizontalEdgeThreshold
    elseif ax > scr_w - horizontalEdgeThreshold then
        ax = ax - horizontalEdgeThreshold
    end

if ay < verticalEdgeThreshold then
        ay = ay + verticalEdgeThreshold
    elseif ay > scr_h - verticalEdgeThreshold then
        ay = ay - verticalEdgeThreshold
    end
end

I don't know what's possible in terms of checking the context under the mouse position via the scripting API. So adjusting the GUI window position automatically depending on the context might be a bit trickier (if possible).
An alternative solution could be to trigger a function via key or mouse input hook in the GUI window to manually offset the GUI window position when needed.
Thanks a lot when I find some time, I will look into possibility to add it as another option for user.
In meantime, option "open on last position" is enough.

The context of the mouse and conditional positioning of the window is very tricky because of Reaper's GUI modularity. I can see a solution that would allow user set offsets for every type of cursor context (I mean the same context like the script already analyze and triggers respective layout) and then adjust window position to fit on screen.

There's hanging a big question mark. Is it really necessary?
From user perspective the script is already so complex and I think it's mostly used to trigger one action at time. If used with context of mouse cursor, then user already knows where it is and what he/she wants to do with it (resp. what will happen in what context).
So it would be probably a waste of time that Lokasenna already condemned as 'not worth his time'.

The only thing that would be nice and improvement for all users is to limit position of the script UI to visible area of screen (respect edges of screen).
Old 02-20-2023, 06:12 AM   #909
Hipox

Unfortunately, the fix I posted previously doesn't work for me anymore.
Seems like whole 'gfx.getchar()' does not work for me anymore.

Here is what I came up with:

Modified version hot fix while gfx.getchar() is not working properly.
This version will exit the radial menu when the mouse is moved off the menu and there's no need to hold the any key down, just trigger.
Modified by Hipox

Known Issues:
- mouse cursor after exit caused by being out of FX window doesn't update to cursor arrow type, but updates after clicking anywhere EDIT: this bug dissapeard for some reason

If the window's mouse offsets does not work for you, edit line '6185'.

Instructions:
- backup your version of script somewhere and replace it by downloaded file (attached to this post).
- keep the same settings as if you'd use a key for keeping window open

Preview:
Attached Files
File Type: lua Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua (224.4 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Hipox; 02-20-2023 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #910
Coachz

How to stop radial menu from flashing ? Doesn't matter what key I use. I want to hold a key and have it close when I let go as designed. Thanks for any ideas !
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:18 PM   #911
teniente powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
How to stop radial menu from flashing ? Doesn't matter what key I use. I want to hold a key and have it close when I let go as designed. Thanks for any ideas !
Does not work for you the Hipox solution?
teniente powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #912
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by teniente powell View Post
Does not work for you the Hipox solution?
Thanks I'll give it a shot
Old 04-20-2023, 07:07 AM   #913
Coachz

Thanks I got it working with his script.
I think I used this one and uncommented the code under running logic section.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=899

Thanks !
Old 04-22-2023, 07:47 AM   #914
DrJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
one thing i noticed,it doesent work when using your laptops trackpad instead of a sub mouse???
I had the same issue and it turns out it was not Reaper or Radial Menu specific, but rather a feature of the trackpad: palm check was considering the trackpad input a mishandling rather than voluntary input. See https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-touch...-keyboard-key/
DrJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #915
Coachz

Anyone notice on export it doesn't ask permission to overwrite existing files of the same name ?
Old 04-30-2023, 12:50 PM   #916
Coachz

Can anyone tell me how to get the radial menu working in the Midi Editor ? I have the pass through bringing it up and have assigned the value (40728) for

Quantize events to grid

But when I click on it in the radial menu with the midi editor open it doesn't quantize the selected midi notes though if I do it from an action shortcut it does.

Thanks !!
Old 05-01-2023, 01:36 AM   #917
tompad

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to get the radial menu working in the Midi Editor ? I have the pass through bringing it up and have assigned the value (40728) for

Quantize events to grid

But when I click on it in the radial menu with the midi editor open it doesn't quantize the selected midi notes though if I do it from an action shortcut it does.

Thanks !!
Are you using "midi 40728"?

Is 40728 an action from the midieditor actionlist?
Old 05-01-2023, 02:04 AM   #918
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
Are you using "midi 40728"?

Is 40728 an action from the midieditor actionlist?
40728 is from the midi editor actions list. Do I need the word midi in front of it ?
Old 05-01-2023, 02:49 AM   #919
tompad

Quote:
40728 is from the midi editor actions list. Do I need the word midi in front of it ?
The help section in Radial Menu Setup on my DAW claim that...it was
a long time ago I used Radial Menu but if I remember right it should
be so.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:03 AM   #920
Coachz

That fixed me. Thanks so much for the help. Go Radial !